27. Takeover
640 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Lately, Horizon Group was in hot water. 

From the fluctuating graph of its stocks to the abrupt press release of an emergency CEO turnover it had occupied the news from both local and business channels.   

“What is going on?” Layla asked tightly when she saw a swarm of reporters beyond the tinted car window.

The group of people armed with cameras and microphones flooded the lobby of the 50 -floor building hoping to catch any of today’s main cast.

Michael patted his sister’s cold hands gently. She was already nervous at the thought of going up, seeing this scene added more to her tension. Anyone who holds more than 5% shares in the company is required to attend board meetings and Layla, though only sixteen has to come along with her guardian who is also her brother.

As much as possible he did not want to drag her into the ugliness of family struggle. In his eyes, she is just a child who only needs to grow and be carefree.  

“Are you afraid?”

Layla looked at her shaking fingers, “I’d be lying if I said no.” 

“Fear is a good thing. That way you will become more alert and wary. You’ll get over it in as many times as the process repeats.”

“Really?”

“Really.” He assured.

Five minutes later the car stopped in the underground parking lot right at the entrance of a private elevator. The siblings got up and met with his uncle’s family. 

Peter looked at Michael with his usual antipathy while his wife, daughter and son barely leashed in their emotion. 

Layla tried to squeeze beside her brother when she felt a piercing glare from her cousin. 

“Annie,” Peter called for his daughter. 

The teenage girl raised her chin in a taunt, “What is she doing here?”

“Compared to you, she has every right to be here.”

The contempt on Michael’s voice was enough to blow her whole family away. Annie stomped her foot to complain but when she received a fierce glare from him her stomach clenched, reminding her that this is the cousin she was most afraid of. 

She had gotten used to bullying Layla at school but she dare not make a squeak in front of him every time he comes back from overseas.

“You finally came.” Peter shielded his quivering daughter and responded with the same cold tone.

“I had to lest the people forget it was the Saldinis who founded this company, not some charlatans riding on the coattails of their relatives.”

Peter smiled darkly while fixing his necktie. “Watch your tongue boy soon it will be our turn.”

“Was I wrong? Look, you don’t even feel ashamed claiming things that are not yours.” he asked coolly and gave them the look a person would give at cockroaches.

“Claiming? We bought them!”

“I don’t see any difference.” Michaels smiled. 

“Dad, just ignore him. He hasn’t done anything for the past two years but still wants to compete. Delusional.” Jethro, his uncle's son smirked.  

Michael’s smile turned vicious. “I’m surprised you can talk back while you turn into a chicken in front of Lewis.”

“Fuck you, who’s the chicken?”

“Aside from making my parents’ company bankrupt, what other talents do you have?”

When the elevator doors opened, Michael pulled his little sister inside without waiting for them to react. 

“My sister is allergic to animals, there are plenty of elevators in the lobby. Use that from now on.”

With a swish, two stainless doors closed on their faces.   

“Michael you prick come back here and I will slug you!” Jethro roared.  

A flash of camera startled them, “Shut up!” 

During the meeting, no media is allowed to enter the boardroom. One by one the executives filed in taking their respective places. 

Michael sat on the topmost seat making his position clear to everybody present. Layla sat on his left while Nicholas on his right beside an empty chair. The move already caught the attention of everyone present and horrified his uncle’s family.

Michael shot a sharp look at his father's former friends. Each still holds 5% of shares and agreed to vote for his uncle. If he hadn’t found help in time, he could have lost Horizon to these bastards.    

The men being stared at by Michael sat wordlessly on their seat trying to minimize eye contact.    

Peter was supposed to sit on the chairman’s spot but with Michael brazenly on it, he could only sit in beside the other two directors. 

“Michael must have forgotten dad is still the current CEO.” Jethro resented. 

Annie, on the other hand, saw the vacant seat beside Nicholas and hurried forward. 

“Can we please not let unrelated people come in causally to the boardroom?” Mike said in a rather loud voice. 

Annie stopped on her tracks, she was about to open her mouth when the last person entered. 

“Am I late?” Sena greeted looking sharp in her navy blue mid-length office dress.         

All heads turned to her wondering who let this one in during an important meeting.

“Practice what you preach.” Jethro sarcastically tossed back at Michael. “You can let your woman in but not my sister?”

“Sadly, I do not have the fortune of receiving the favour of this lady. Right, Miss Erde?”

Nicholas gave him a kick under the table. “Be serious.”

“But I’m here exactly to give you a favour.” Sena shrugged. “Want it or not?”

For a moment the atmosphere was tense.

Sena’s heels clicking on the marble floor filled in the silence. She came to the vacant seat, placed her file folder on the table and looked at Annie.

“Little girl I suggest you go. We will start the meeting.” 

Annie reacted harshly, not liking the tone of the person no older than her. “Who the hell are you?”

Sena gave her a thin cat-like smile while Nicholas stood and smoothly pulled the chair. “Miss Erde, please.”

Annie dislocated her jaw in shock at the blatant disregard. “Daddy!” 

“Peter, either you tell her to get out or I’ll have people drag her out.” Michael warned crisply. 

“You dare!” Jethro jumped from his seat.

Oh, boy don’t this person love to react dramatically?  

Michael remained frosty. Dangerous. 

“I might include you as well.”  

Another bout of silence. 

The door ushered in four people in black suits that looked like they can murder their fellowmen without blinking. Annie was frightened to tears she ran to her father’s side. Peter had no choice but to bring her out to the sitting area.  

“Oh, I’m sorry. Those guys are with me.” Nicholas chirped in the middle of suffocating stillness. “No pressure.”  

“Big sister,” Layla greeted from across the table with a wave of her tiny paws.

Sena tilted her head and gave her a wink. “You’re learning too early, that’s great.”

She nodded shyly.

Four hours later, under the flashes of cameras and the incessant questions fired by the reporters. Peter’s face turned several shades in anger like a litmus paper.  The announcement he carefully planned for today exploded like a bomb right to his face. 

Who would have thought that although their camp only has four people, they turned out to be the biggest shareholders the company currently have? In the end, the vote turned in favour of his wayward nephew! 

On the other corner of the lobby, Michael is also being interviewed by the media as the new CEO of Horizon Group. First, he calmly addressed the scandal about the project divestment then revealed the reasons why the cooperation must end prematurely. 

Peter heard his address and fisted his hands tightly. 

The damn bastard dared to use his son!

Next, he gave assurance to his investors that ending one project does not mean the company will declare bankruptcy. It was aimed to stabilize their stock before it hit critical levels. He then revealed that Horizon just recently closed a deal with both Aiguille Conglomerate and Angharad.

Both international companies at the same time that it scared plenty of people. 

What divestment? Even if two or more companies snub them and pull out, Horizon Group will continue to rise.  

Even Peter and his family couldn’t believe the revelation until now. It must be a prank, right? 

He should feel glad but how could he when their cooperation will take effect in half a year? Suddenly faced with loans and interest choked him hard that he could barely breathe. 

His wife clutched her chest as though preventing a heart attack. 

Would he be willing to sell the shares he bought just recently? No! Those are his. He had been eyeing them for years and finally got them. 

On the first day of his term, Michael already made a deal none of the domestic businesses has accomplished for the last ten years. Is this thing still normal? 

Why must all the favour gather on his side!?   

Stocks are predicted to soar to the skies until those who sold theirs will start crying blood in regret. 

It was a pity. Peter sighed, he shouldn’t let his shares go.

 

Nicholas Vaugh-Aiguille stood beside him accepting a few questions from time to time with regards to his partnership with Chief Saldini. 

Meanwhile, as some reporters tried to dig the background of the new heads of the company, the audience couldn’t restrain their glee. 

Shock, the new CEO is still so young! And so handsome… 

They carefully watched his manner and listened to his voice as he answered one question after another. For a time, most people present were caught mesmerized by the androgynous beauty that is Michael Saldini.  

Not far from him another presence made the audience buzz, however before they could throw in some personal questions, Nicholas is already being guided by two bodyguards towards an approaching black car. 

Michael followed shortly.         

Outside the vehicle, Peter and his family looked lifeless and defeated despite acquiring a huge part of the company share. 

Michael no longer cared what joke they are planning to cook up next. 

He did it.

He snatched his parents’ company back from the jaws of his greedy relatives. He thought he would have to endure for a couple of years more. Hard to leash emotions rolled in the depths of his eyes. 

He was thankful for the timely help he received. If it weren’t for them who knew what kind of dirty tactics he had to resort to.   

Michael tapped on his cellphone and called Layla who’s waiting at the restaurant.

But then Lewis’s message came in. The warmth in Michael’s eyes cooled. 

Lewis: I didn’t know you had such a grand plan. Why wasn’t I informed?

Mike: I’m afraid you’d sell me out.

Lewis: Haha nice joke.

Michael snorted: Friendship’s over. 

Lewis: Wait, did someone steal your phone?

Mike: You can continue kissing Peter’s ass. I won’t stop you, you two-faced son of a bitch.

There was no reply after that. He guessed Lewis is probably shellshocked. 

Didn’t see that coming, did you? 

He then called Layla’s phone.  

Earlier, when the meeting concluded he took advantage of everyone’s daze and asked Sena to smuggle his little sister out of the building before the paparazzi hounded them. The company became a regular in the headlines lately and some people think it was profitable to make a business out of their gossip.

He still wanted Layla to have a normal school life, she is sixteen after all.  

14