31. The Half Sister
582 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The typhoon in Hawaii passed but the aftermath caused so much damage it made it through international headlines.

In a beachfront villa in Lizard Island, a certain old man dropped the remote on his hand while staring into the television covering the news of the devastation in the coastal areas.

If their original itinerary was followed, he and his crew will most probably be one of those casualties. 

The old man sat on the couch and wasn't sure what to feel. 

He almost went there if Sena did not coax him to fish for that damn blue marlin.

“Aiy, that child.” he sighed heavily, tapping the armrest. 

He looked at the cut on his thumb when he processed that fish before delivery, glad that it was only a small thing. If the girl did not play her temper, he probably wouldn’t be alive to see her next antic.

Because of his good mood, he decided to call her completely forgetting about the time difference between countries. When no one picked up, she dialled the bodyguard’s number instead to check.

“How is your young miss lately?” Old Ye started.

The person was fast and efficient when reporting everything Sena did for the past weeks. From her morning schedule up to the evening, all were carefully documented. Including the people, she met lately. 

Old Ye nodded his head from time to time, sometimes he furrowed his eyebrows but it was more evident that he was satisfied with the report.  

He became ecstatic when he learned that her investments finally bore results. In their last conversation, the girl mentioned some worthwhile prospects to him. It seems she wasn’t only learning the market well, she also had proactively joined in and harvested her first gain. 

His old face stretched happily. However, at the end of the conversation, he wasn’t smiling anymore.

The bodyguard told him that the girl may be dating soon. With this revelation, he also attached some shots he took.

It was Sena interacting with her agents. 

Sena at the grocery store.

Sena during workdays.

Sena with her new assistant going for a morning jog and sitting in a cafe.

Sena and her meetings with Horizon and Alpha Techs seniors. 

Then there was also Sena drinking beer and later hanging on to some strange man like a drunk monkey.

Grandpa Ye was mad. Unacceptable!  

Who was that damn fiend trying to seduce their granddaughter away!? 

With trembling hands, he quickly dialled the other two old fogey’s numbers. 

Sena who was oblivious to three old men’s dilemma is currently attending the welcome party of Horizon Group.

Tonight the ballroom hall is studded with stars from the entertainment industry chosen by the company from the past to present to endorse the brand from their subsidiaries. Among the new faces, Maya Luz attracted everyone’s attention as the new model for Horizon’s jewellery line. 

Maya was surrounded by congratulations and greetings from both friends and the media. She had been accommodating them for almost an hour now. Throughout the ordeal, she kept the warm amicable smile of a professional, tension is yet to be seen on her young face and this made people admire her forbearance.

Thankfully she came ready. She knew that once she was recognized, it wasn’t only for her benefit but for their family as well. Sure enough, wherever she went the Luz Companies will not be neglected to be mentioned. 

The only blight to her perfect night was the sudden appearance of Sena. It is said that when you are in the wealthy circle, you will have to attend a party at least twice a month to maintain connections. The Horizon Group’s gathering is a big event that not only celebrities but socialites flock to mingle and it’s no surprise seeing her half-sister here.    

She thought she was only casually attending and never once imagined she would make a huge error for thinking so.    

Sena walked unhurriedly towards the entrance undisturbed by the gazes directed to her. Following behind is the current Chief Operating Officer of Angharad who personally flew from the HQ to finally meet the new boss. 

“Who’s the old guy escorting the beauty?” 

“That’s Mr Gil, Angharad’s COO.”

“Goodness, Horizon Group managed to invite him? Just how talented is the new president?”

“More than you know.”

“Chief Saldini is the rightful heir and he had singlehandedly maintained the company’s momentum even after his parents’ death.” another said. “If it weren’t for his obnoxious relatives Horizon Group wouldn’t experience a crisis.” 

“So the big shot invited another big shot.” one said meaningfully looking at Sena being escorted by Mr Gil. “I wonder why he seems to follow Miss Erde?”

“Perhaps because they are both involved in real estate business. If I were Miss Erde I would securely hold on to Mr Gil.”

People who heard the underlying meaning raised their eyebrows, some sneered in disgust but continued to spy on the two.  

Sena felt several unkind gazes and inwardly rolled her eyes. Then she noticed someone moved from her left. 

“You are Miss Erde?” 

Sena briefly glanced at the male model in front of her and couldn’t recognize who he was. 

“Wow, you look… stunning.” he said with a sigh then abruptly followed by, “I didn’t know Maya had such a sister.”

Sena did something close to a smile but it lacked any sort of warmth. 

“I’m a friend of Maya, she invites you to sit on our table.” 

The guy was used to plenty of beautiful faces in their industry but the sheer physical assets of this girl still managed to shock him. For some reason, he finds it difficult to continue to stare and averted his eyes. 

His gaze went from her face to Mr Gil who was talking with another company head behind and flashed a knowing smile. 

Although Maya’s sister is gorgeous, it was too bad she came with an old man.  

“Tonight’s executives are bound to get busy with business transactions, you will be left alone. Your escort has already found a like-minded friend.”  

She would dumb if she didn’t detect the potent ridicule in his tone. Sena raised her chin and said blandly, “Thank you for your generosity but I have my seat reserved already.” 

The tepid reply made the model frown. What is she acting so high and mighty for? 

The little celebrity was too eager that she could smell the upcoming drama. Sure enough like a cue, Maya rose from her seat with a sweet smile. 

“Sena,” she called. “It’s alright, we still have a vacant seat. You don’t mind seating with us, do you?”

Sena gave a thin smile, “Oh no, please don’t mind me.”

“Maya doesn’t mind. Besides, as the new endorser of Horizon’s brand, the heads wouldn’t mind her inviting an acquaintance or two.” the model said with a proud smile. 

“Endorser?” Sena made an exaggerated sigh. “Really? That’s great.”

“It was one of Horizon’s directors who personally picked her.”

Maya blushed at the compliment. From time to time she would sneak glances at Sena trying to guess her mood. 

“Which director exactly?” Sena asked, playing along with the farce.   

Maya noticed she wasn’t reacting differently than before. In fact, she looked even bored.  

“Who’s with you by the way?” Maya changed the subject abruptly. 

Finally, she went straight to the point. Sena thought funnily.

“You didn’t know? People already recognized the man before he could even step in.” She spoke with an incredulous look. “He is Angharad’s COO Mr Gil. He will be cooperating with Horizon and Aiguille for a resort project.” 

So the old man is not only rich but has a high position as well. Maya hid the disgust in her eyes. “You came with him?” 

Sena answered with a cryptic smile. 

“Sena, dad’s company is currently in the middle of a delicate transaction. I hope you have a sense of proprietary.” 

Coming here with a man who’s half her age will make people gossip. Especially if the said man is someone as influential as Angahrad’s COO. Everyone is starting to whisper already.    

Sena knew what she meant exactly and narrowed her eyes dangerously, “Excuse me?” 

The male model butt in with a reprimanding look, “Does it need to spell out for you? You’re an adult and you should know what that means.”

The rest of the models and young celebrities chuckled meaningfully. In their line of business, it was considered natural to latch on to the wealthy and powerful, it doesn’t matter if they’re old. 

“Actually, I don’t.” Sena challenged. “By all means enlighten me.” 

“Maya is now the face of Horizon; anything people related to her does directly affects her image. There’s plenty of media present tonight, think of her image for once.”

“I’ve never met you before, are you perhaps Ms Luz’s newly hired translator?”

“Sena, don’t be rude. This is my friend Ian.”

“Oh, you can talk.” 

Maya tried to hold in her temper. 

The male model gave her a nasty look. 

“You came here blocking my way not to invite me to sit but to reproach me then tell me not to be rude. I don’t know what to make of that.” Sena said with an edge. 

Maya was momentarily left unsure of what to say next. She had been witness to Sena’s formidable stubbornness countless times, but she never expected she would display it right at this moment.

When is she going to realize that not everyone wants to be pulled into her scandal? Is she playing dumb to embarrass her in public? She tried being as subtle as possible but she just won’t appreciate it! Very well then… 

“Miss Erde?” Mr Gil finished talking with Alpha Tech’s VP and hurried to find his boss. 

The three old guys repeatedly reminded him no to make a mistake when guiding the Miss, listen and obey her request and most of all do not make her job any more difficult... or there will be hell to pay. 

But what’s this all of a sudden? 

The manager in-charge of Horizon’s jewellery line hurried to come over. Jethro was about to call Maya back to introduce him to Michael as a formality but when he saw who she was talking with and the colour drained from his face.

Why of all people it had to be her? 

“Miss Erde, you came.” he squeezed out a smile. His apprehension doubled when he saw the reaction of people around then. Like a curse, a bad premonition came over him. “Is… Is something the matter?”

The male model whom he was friends with threw his hands over his shoulder good-naturedly said, “Just a small thing. We didn’t expect you also knew Maya’s sister.” 

“What is going on?” Jethro inquired despite the thudding inside his chest. 

“Well you see, Maya is very concerned about the brand and it would be a problem if her sister behaves inappropriately.”

Jethro sucked in a cold breath. “What the hell does that mean?”

“Oh, you know…” the male model gestured for the fat Mr Gil and showed him a dirty smile. “We don’t mind who she dates but the timing is...”

“In short they want me to stay low because my presence might affect your model’s reputation.” 

Maya bowed her head, “I’m sorry I didn’t know my sister was invited.” 

“Who told you she was invited?”Jethro snapped. 

The male model snorted, misunderstanding something. “So she came on her own?”   

“Shut up!” Jethro roared, throwing the model’s hands-off. His chest rising and falling in anger. “You… Does a company executive need to be invited? Do you know who that person is?”

Maya was taken aback by the roar she flinched. Perhaps Jethro misunderstood, they were talking about Sena! 

“Miss Luz, I chose you as an endorser of our jewellery line thinking you bore the right image for it. I’m now terribly regretting the decision.”

What does that mean? Maya stood still stunned by his words.  

“Wait, Jet, it’s not Maya’s fault.” The male model hinted something was not right and he became nervous. Jethro personally picked his friend when he recommended her among the auditioning ladies, it was also his chance to make a connection with her father’s company once they became friends. But all of a sudden his chances started flying away. He turned and glared at Sena. 

Sena laughed without humor, “Your little endorsers have a problem with me.”

“No, Miss Erde this is just a misunderstanding. They are people temporarily hired by the company, they didn’t know who you are.” 

“Maybe,” she allowed, then looked at the people on the table. “Hilarious. They think we’re on the same line of business.”

Some of them choked. Others lowered their heads. While it is true they came here for the modelling job, they were also eyeing several wealthy people for ‘sponsors’. Sena’s unabashed words tore open their secrets.   

Mr Gil stepped in with a grim face towards Jethro, “Guests should be selected strictly next time. This is not a flea market.”

With that said, Mr Gil gestured for Sena to walk ahead to where Horizon’s shareholder’s table is located. Mr Gil himself sat a seat away under the position of Angharad’s COO and Project Manager. At first, everyone was confused as to why the COO had to sit on the left side of the young lady.

When the signing of the official documents came, it dawned on them what her actual position indicates. 

Maya felt the strength draining away from her body. Horizon’s shareholder… Sena? How could that be? Like a dream, she didn’t want to believe it. The male model beside her was even more shocked stupid he could no longer make any excuse.

“That… she…” 

Jethro threw them both a contemptuous glance and spat out, “Of all the people you have to embarrass, it has to be one the executives. Thankfully I’m not the only one who’s going to lose my job.”

Michael now has another reason to remove him from his post. Recently, the creditors are rushing them to pay the loans seeing that Horizon is recovering. The problem is, his father doesn’t have enough money to pay off both debt and interest.    

Jethro furiously exited the scene leaving a bunch of models and celebrities as quiet as the dead on their seat. 

What do celebrities amount to in the business community? Unless you were born with a silver spoon or have an influential background, you are merely an entertainer. Others cannot help but blame Maya, if it weren’t for her dropping hints like that they wouldn’t have… 

A realization suddenly came into them. This Maya Luz, she seemed sweet and honest on the surface but was quite devious inside.

15