38. Maya’s Resentment
718 7 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Morning boss!” Katya greeted them as soon as they arrived at the HQ.

She noticed the tall man walking behind her wondering what his relationship with their boss was. To say he is drop-dead gorgeous wouldn’t be an exaggeration, the man has overflowing appeal and it can swamp you in seconds.    

April felt the female’s heated gaze directed at the man beside her and giggled. Alright, you go ahead and fantasize. Bet they would be very disappointed once they found out Apple doesn’t swing that way. Thankfully she spent every waking hour seeing her boss’s face, the impact of Apple’s startling beauty has more or less reduced. After half an hour drive and lecture she was certain that she had finally developed an immunity. 

Sena greeted everyone back and headed to her office. 

“Are you running for Miss Congeniality?” Apple asked before she could put her butt on the seat. 

“I learned to smile when I was told by Linda that the ice-cold Terminator boss doesn’t suit me.”

Apple raised an eyebrow and gave her a long look, “Yes, it doesn’t.”

Paula was notorious for being a cold beauty. One is enough.      

Below, when Sena is gone, everyone huddles together to check on their phones. The ad already exceeded a million clicks overnight and is still rising, whether it’s for the new product or the new face none was really sure.

 

Chic, fresh, and vibrant.  

The short film playing on the makeup artist’s mobile screen stabbed Maya’s eyes. She hurried to the empty dressing room and searched for the same video. 

The girl on the ad opened her eyes seemingly confused by her surroundings. Still dizzy from last nights’ party, she slowly recalled the events that transpired. 

From an imposing French mansion, a girl with stagnant hazel eyes sat alone in a wide lifeless garden. The soft pink dress she wore was the only striking colour there is. Then came an old butler who handed her a card. 

Her lonely eyes suddenly gained a bit of spark.

Under the playfully elegant Mozart’s Sonata No. 17 in C background music, the camera pans over the whole estate.  

From the mansion, the girl rode on a white convertible passing on the Triumphal Arch to the Eiffel Tower, next she rode on a small boat in canals of Venice, a carriage in London, a yacht in Greece. She went around Europe while picking up more cards along the way. As time went on, the girl no longer looked like a lifeless doll, her smile was dazzling, and her dress fluttered with the breeze. 

Finally, she’s back with her convertible to France. 

As the night set in, she stopped at the opening of a narrow alley where the final card’s clue led her. She held it tight on her chest.

The cobbled stones gleamed under the lamp posts. With a thumping heart, the girl braved the lonesome quiet road, raising her feet one step at a time she hurried towards the end and came into a double door. 

The entrance was open and the girl came in welcomed by a loud exuberant noise of a party. Inside, she was pulled by her friends to a new and dazzling world. The fun began. 

The memory ends there. The girl got up from the chaise, shook off the confetti from her hair and took the bottle of light pink perfume on the nightstand. With a winsome smile, she ran down the stairs and headed back to her convertible.  

The video lasted for 48 seconds, just as how long Maya strung her nerves.   

She turned her mobile off and flung it over the sofa. She lost an endorsement to Amore Jewelry because of her but now she will see her in an ad herself!? 

What kind of joke is this!? 

The door of the dressing room opened, she hurriedly fixed her twisted expression. When she saw it was her manager, she exhaled a harsh dark breath, as if annoyed for being disturbed.

“At least knock.”

Manager Gina was livid herself, “Be careful with your facial expressions nowadays. People are staring at you. What if it wasn’t me who came in?”

The middle-aged agent locked the door, walked towards the seat near the dresser, facing her seriously. 

“The strategy failed unexpectedly.” She started tapping her dark polished fingernails on the white surface. 

Maya took the couch and waited for more details. 

“The people in the marketing department had no plans of pursuing this further. They want us to curb the fans online as soon as possible. If not they will not help us with the promotion. If you suddenly issue a statement the people definitely question why you are only doing it now when the damage has been done.”

It will also dishearten those who spoke for her because it was the same as pushing all the blame to her supporters who fought fiercely in the forums. Either of the two will still give Maya’s image a huge blow. Her fans were excessively malicious, mercilessly tearing Sena apart which they originally planned. If there was no comparison, there would be no trend. But now it has become their liability.   

Maya deliberately picked up lipstick to hide the agitation crawling at her body. She looked at herself in the mirror. Petite, pure and clean beauty with round eyes. A sweet baby face looked back at her. She neither has Sena’s shapely cheekbones and jawline nor her decadent eyes. 

“Don’t put on that one, it doesn't suit you.” Manager Gina harshly reprimanded. 

She changed the lipstick from light pink to a deeper shade of red to match her smokey eyeshadow. It was her first TV interview. She had to flatter her assets to make a mark in the audience's minds.

But she felt the makeup was done a little too dark. She could still picture Sena’s natural sun-kissed face in the ad making her more uncomfortable. Maya didn’t know whether Sena was deliberate or not but why did this ad have to air on the day of her talk show interview? 

“The best way to let the heat die down is to remain silent. It will disperse eventually on its own. You never said anything in the first place. Besides, I’m optimistic about the thoughts of our bosses above.”

Maya’s mother specifically instructed her to take care of her daughter. She has a good background that naturally wants people to pay attention to her more and Mrs Luz is not stingy, she’s ready to bring in benefits. In this industry, everything revolves around profits and business. It's up to you how to play your cards smartly.

Soon a staff member of the program knocked on the door. There was a line of dissatisfied artists waiting outside for fifteen minutes because they couldn’t get in. Manager Gina did not argue and apologized to them. She knew that even though Maya is new and has backing, she still needs a reputation to go around. After that, she brought Maya out to meet the host.

The show host came into the lounge room to greet her. A middle-aged man with a radiant smile and a flirty feminine voice.

“Darlin’ are you nervous with the interview?” 

Maya gave a sweet smile. “A little actually. This is my first time appearing on a talk show. I hope Ms Day doesn’t treat me too hard.”

Ms Day laughed. 

“Thank you on behalf of my sponsors for this chance to appear here.”

“Don’t worry I won’t throw in a difficult question for you. I promised your father I won’t give you a hard time. Besides, your fans are looking forward to this, I’m afraid they will send me threats once I bother you.”

She laughed in response and was relieved inside. Ms Day is notorious for giving his guest surprise questions putting them on the spot. Even veteran celebrities would sweat a lot once he starts. 

This is her first step to widen her career path and she did not want to mess up. She interned in her father’s company to help him acquire investors. On several occasions, she was spotted tagging along with her dad and her photo was posted on social media. 

She did not expect that the little post on the internet would shuttle her to fame overnight.

With business in mind in her young age, she caught the eyes of many as a bright and hardworking youth despite having a multi-million inheritance. This interview was merely to introduce her and give the audience a glimpse of her lifestyle. 

The shoot of her everyday life was done perfectly and she knew the material would be popular.  

“I have seen your sister’s ad by the way and I must say, Paula Erde’s daughter is mystical.” 

Maya stiffened as an automatic response to the praise for her half-sister. 

Time blurred the highlights of their family’s scandal. People would barely remember that once there was a Sena who lived in their home before her but the memory of a pretty little girl sitting beside her father is still fresh on her mind.

When she was a child she often wondered why her daddy doesn’t stay with them. It turns out he had another family who kept him away. Another girl and another woman are living in a huge house who took her father from them.

She didn’t like it. In her mind, her daddy should be mommy’s and hers alone. That was a child’s inherent possessiveness of her father’s attention and love. Soon, she got her wish.  

But why is it that even when they left people still blamed them? 

Maya knew her father was not happy with his family. For her, they only took what’s rightfully theirs but suffered humiliation instead. On the other hand, those who left on their own we’re pitied. It was because of this reason that she strived hard to be better than Sena. 

It was better to let them see her merits, but truthfully she hated that she had to work hard to gain recognition. She is Maya Luz, the daughter of a business tycoon. Isn’t she the heiress of the Luz family? But she felt like all her life she had been stepping on thin ice. 

Fortunately, through her hard work, people eventually saw her talent. Soon many more will see and realize she is far better than Sena.

Maya clenched her hands. For years she always held the things precious to her tightly, no one can take them away but every time she felt like she had stepped ahead she would eventually realize that she couldn’t escape Sena’s towering figure.

Everything seems to gravitate towards her alone.

Sometimes she felt like the world was too unfair. She strongly felt it shouldn’t be like this. What made Sena so dazzling? Everything she had was handed out to her on a silver platter. She never toiled in acquiring it.

That partnership with Horizon might be the result of her mother’s strategic investing but since she’s now gone, it fell on Sena’s hand. Does she deserve it? A malicious thought crossed her mind, one of these days she will tear down that oh-so-perfect mask and expose her in front of everyone. 

“She is very discreet, who would have known she has already walked on runways since she was fourteen? I only paid attention to it now.” Ms Day dramatically gasped, cutting Maya's reverie.  

The makeup artist who had been replaying the commercial on her phone did not give much of a thought. Most of the guests who were also in that room did not mind either but as a fashion enthusiast, Ms Day was in glee.

Maya’s mood fluctuated sharply. She wanted to reflect a lack of interest although she was shaking inside. Why? She’s clearly standing here but all they talk about is Sena?

“We… we haven’t been in touch for a long time,” she replied with a forced smile.  

“Never mind, I was just curious because of the recent rumour saying she became depressive but I know rumours cannot be trusted. Kalliste would never choose her if it’s true, don’t you think so?”

Maya had her hand clenched. Ms Day sure is a person in the entertainment industry, he seems oblivious to the conflict between people and how their complex relationship came to be. Maya is aware that he was just being frank and not malicious but he certainly is not kind. 

“Kalliste? You mean this ad?” Out of nowhere the makeup artists who was silent came to life.

Ms Day nodded, “That’s her. She’s Kalliste's baby for several years already.”

He was ecstatic; he rummaged through his collection of international magazines and found her in it. The most prominent ones were in the last four years where she truly blossomed. It was like having a second look at a gem that had been inconspicuously sitting right under your eye. 

Everyone in the makeup room had their eyes popped. Maya is suddenly on the hot spot but she is aware they weren’t really going to ask her. With the estrangement, everyone here is not so tactless to suddenly jump out with questions but she knew they were secretly comparing her to Sena. 

The unspoken question in their eyes poked her confidence. 

They’re sisters, right? 

There wasn’t much resemblance.

Why do they look different from each other? 

The silence was discomfiting. Reminding her of those times her dad would take them both out to eat and play outside. The elders and playmates' eyes would always fall on the adorable little doll.

Those days made her very uncomfortable. 

“I don’t know where the rumour came from. She looks perfectly alright to me.” She said dryly.

Ms Day sighed, eyeing her. “Fortunately it’s not true. Kalliste’s image will suffer a blow if their representative is bogged with issues.” 

Wouldn’t it be much better if it's true? She never believed that the pretentious goody-two-shoes doesn't have a dark secret. 

After the recording, an assistant of Imagine, the talent agency she is currently signed to, came to tell her that the big boss wanted to talk. She was then brought to the topmost floor where he takes office. Inside, Manager Gina who disappeared in the middle of the interview is waiting along with the short middle-aged man and a round face.

Maya held on to her shock. Why did the president call for a newbie like her?

“Ms Luz, please take a seat.”

She gracefully took the space beside Gina and gave a professional smile. 

“What is going on?” she said in clenched teeth.

She made it clear she would never receive unsavoury favours from any boss and ruin her future path. But the world is changing, new doors have to be opened to usher in opportunities. And which girl doesn’t have a little vanity? 

Manager Gina suspected she was overthinking things so she patted her hand. “It’s not what you think about.”

“Ms Luz,” President Bo greeted with a genial smile. “With regards to your current performance I must say, I’m thoroughly impressed. You are young and promising.” 

Maya smiled back hoping he gets to the point real soon. 

“You heard of the network's new reality show, correct?”

Her mind became alert. Her earlier impatience slowly disappeared. 

The said reality show is a kind of challenge where selected people from different walks of life join. The first season was about survival in the wild, the second season was a racing and treasure hunting event as for the third season this year, it is about reforming the lazy and spoiled children by putting them inside a military barracks.    

President Bo did not notice the changes in her expression so he continued, “The show Challenge Me by Rainbow Media is now airing its 3rd season and occupies the prime time slot. If Ms Luz is willing, the 4th season is currently looking for the next candidates to join.” 

Maya could barely hide her glee. Inviting her didn’t need her to face the network’s boss, as a newcomer with barely a name yet sending it through her agent was enough. She suspects there is something more of this.   

And she was right because President Bo added, “We also plan to invite your sister, the one currently on hot search as well.” 

Maya’s face sank abruptly. They knew she and Sena were like oil and water yet why…  

“Have you guessed it yet?” Manager Gina throws her a meaningful glance, making her heart jump.

Could it be?

“You are new to the industry but the bosses can see your star potential and value. In short, the company wanted to keep you and to do that they had to resort to damage control. This variety show is our make or break step. This program is aimed to push the participants to the limits in hopes to uncover their hidden strength--” 

Maya calmed down a bit and listened in rapt attention even when Manager Gina made a pause. 

“--and their true personalities of course. If you want to knock your rival off her pedestal, this is the most direct way to go. We wanted you to join the variety show along with Sena Erde with that purpose.”

The bomb was dropped just like that Maya had no time to be surprised. Her eyes flitted from her manager to the president back and forth.

“No matter what happens as long as it is shown in the eyes of the viewers, no one can escape exposure,” Gina said, wearing a conspiratorial smile. 

President Bo smiled back. “Sena Erde gained plenty of admirers but she is not willing to enter this industry.”

Some years ago he offered the same to Paula Erde only to be smacked back in the face. She wasn’t an artist yet her value and fame far exceed those people he worked with. He thought it was a pity. Like the aloof goddess that she was, she never agreed on accepting acting roles. Most of the time, he could feel that her eyes held cold disdain towards the entertainment circle.  

It disheartened him so much until later, the feeling evolved to resentment. Veterans in this company can see that. And inviting Sena surely wasn’t done out of kind intentions. 

“Your sister had it easy, meanwhile, you have your career that suffered a backlash because of the comparison. By letting her join in his gruelling and taxing show, your half-sister, as a wealthy young miss, will inevitably make a slip in front of the cameras.” 

“What do you think of the company’s strategy?”

Maya was silent for a while. At the mention of Sena, her blood chilled thinking everything might end up falling into her lap again, it was only after she heard the details that her worries were washed away. 

“I agree. When will the shoot start?” 

When the meeting concluded she was filled with uncontainable excitement she quickly dialled a phone number only to stop abruptly. Her eyes lingered on the strings of digits under a name.

She forgot that she is in the period of making him miss her presence. 

Maya noticed that her mysterious man doesn’t seem as she thought him to be. He had both looks and money, she can tell he is someone with great achievements but what about his background? It made her feel uncertain. When she tried to inquire he recoiled and she got the opposite of what she wanted. 

Dresden didn’t like anyone inquiring about his life unless he fully trusted them. Maya could not stand being kept in the dark like this, she had to make a move or the relationship cannot continue. They were both cautious and hesitant. 

Thus they tacitly refrained from contacting each other until now. 

Maya is waiting for him to call, it has been more than a week but there was still no movement on his side. She closed her eyes trying to suppress the simmering impatience and anxiety.  

Too much time to waste. 

12