39. Someone Wants To Play Hero
584 12 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Going back to the office, Sena opened her emails and began working but what's currently displayed on her screen were not documents related to Diamond Realtors. 

It was a long list of data for the past three years from a privately owned enterprise in Europe. Its growth, new business ventures, and even its financial statements were there for her to review. These series of data were no stranger to her as she had been trained to look at them when her mother was alive.

Now that she’s gone, it will be for her to guard and once she is mature enough to take on the mantle, whether the companies continue to flourish or fall from the heights depends on her ability.

Despite the market instability in these past years, the records show Nexus Global remained steady, losing only small profits then taking several billion after launching a new technology last year. 

To maintain its momentum for the following years, Sena has already made preparations by reviewing the most successful and profitable businesses among the emerging companies. 

The huge financial crisis is over, however, what remained is a horror to some when their investments failed. This year, people are particularly cautious when moving their money. Sena is not afraid, aside from knowing which businesses are good to invest in, she also studied their growth and developments including failures from the previous years just in case there will be a deviation from the original trajectory.  

Losing everything has traumatized her.   

Apple cast a glance at her and nodded his head in satisfaction. What the old men said was true. He thought he would have a hard time training her from scratch, it turns out she already made enough progress to impress those old bacon in the board.

On his hand were the investment projects she had drawn up. It wasn’t just one, but plenty.   

Their Monday morning was easily spent with work. At lunch Sena's phone rang displaying an unknown number then she rushed to the Pytheas Hotel to meet with the person who called.   

Apple was teaching April the ins and outs of the company so she did not disturb them. 

 

Recognized for its absolute exclusivity, Pytheas is a favourite among high-ranking people both the government and business. There are only thirty branches in different countries around the globe making it known only for people in the upper rings of the society.   

Coming closer to the private room, Sena walked leisurely appreciating the interiors and the efficient service of its staff. 

“This way please.” The male staff opened the double door for her.

Inside, the person had his back turned from her. The black suit glared in contrast to his brown hair and clear skin. Sena blinked her eyes while frantically trying to comb into her fuzzy memory. 

Who is he again?

“You came. Good.” The man turned around and directly looked into her eyes. 

A light bulb lit up in her head. Along with it are the memories and uncomfortable feelings she once experienced. 

Dresden Troy. 

Wasn’t this the grumpy guy her Grandpa Oslo tried to pair up with her? Sena could barely maintain her natural expression at the horrid reminder.

She met him on several occasions during reunions and school breaks, she remembers she used to tail around this guy when she was younger because he was the only reliable kid among their peers that made Paula feel at ease. 

Sena also once thought he was one of those nice big brothers, well, not anymore. Not again. His attitude was much more sombre, especially now. He held an air of cold aloofness that wordlessly pushed people out of his boundary. The imposing bearing plus his reticent nature was enough to intimidate any person with a weak frame of mind. 

And she is not particularly fond of that kind of attitude. She and this person are very incompatible. Over time, it grew worse. 

Last life his silent rejection was mainly because of his involvement with Maya who caught his interest. As for the rest? She assumed that was because of her strong character. Dresden detests women with strong personalities. Anyway, she didn’t care. 

What irked her was about his attitude wasn’t simply because he looks indifferent and unapproachable, or that he wanted to defend Maya. She knew there is more to that. While people were going gaga over the rich and handsome but aloof and cold Mr Perfect, she was vomiting outright. 

The saying naive girls love to follow from the novels; cold on the outside but fiery inside? Hell, that was utter nonsense. Dresden Troy doesn’t have the metaphorical fire. He is not passionate. He is as cold as dry ice and as stuffy as a dry ice you’d suffer frostbite being near him. Dresden is the kind who doesn’t care about anything below his standard. She hates him exactly because he is in the same league as her unfeeling father.

Without waiting for him to invite her, she pulled a chair opposite of him and sat. 

Dresden observed the grown-up Sena for the first time and frowned. She hadn’t taken a long look at his face but was already sitting comfortably. This was different from his expectation based on how she clung to him when she was small.  

“We haven’t been properly introduced.” She said, beating him to the punch again.  

She doesn’t remember him? He was sluggish for a few moments before coming back to reality. “Dresden Troy.”

“Sena Erde.” She replied in a brisk business-like tone. Since his purpose for coming wasn’t for business or any kind of heartwarming reunion, it was better they go to the matter at hand sooner. To emphasize she wasn’t keen on meeting him she looked at her watch. “I only have twenty minutes to spare.”

“In a hurry?”

Sena brushed off his question. “Excuse my rudeness but this is all I could offer for now. We’re all busy people.”

“Do you really not recognize me?”

Her eyes squint, “I have vague impressions after hearing your name.”

His expression first showed a slight shock then a sneer. 

“You are grandpa Oslo’s youngest grandson?”

He nodded briskly.  

“What brings you to Capital City?”

“Personal matters.”

She wanted to roll her eyes at his answer. Obviously, he did not come here to simply meet and reminisce. At this moment she knew that Dresden came on behalf of his little girlfriend. Can this person get on with the topic already? 

Sena doesn't know what garbage Maya fed this guy to make him think that she was targeting her because of him. He was suspecting her of maliciously bullying her sister. 

She had enough of this farce, she doesn’t even find it funny. She had to make it clear right here right now that she doesn’t give a shit about him lest he begins to hallucinate she was interested in him.

“If Mr Troy has something to say, please do so I’m listening.”

Sena didn’t have lunch yet so she took it upon herself to scan the menu and ordered food. She sat at ease while waiting for her meal to arrive. 

“We have a few important things to discuss, Ms Erde.”

She nodded and gestured for him to go ahead.

“You may not be aware of this yet but my grandfather was a good friend to your grandparents.” 

So he’s starting with the family history. She rolled her eyes secretly.  

“Alright…” 

“At that time, my family were just small businessmen. It was your elders that helped them mix among the upper circle and eventually widened their network.”

She is aware of this of course as well as the story of how her grandparents met Grandpa P and Grandpa Ye but she has to pretend to be surprised. After all, in this timeline, this is the first time someone opened up their history. 

When the food came, Sena elegantly spooned a saffron risotto. Her eyes narrowed in satisfaction as she slowly chewed, then while urging him to talk some more. Dresden had never met someone who dared to touch food while he was talking. 

“What I mean is that my grandparents are always loyal to people who had great influence in their lives, especially to those who helped them tide over the hard times.” He had to talk though he felt indignant.

Sena did not mind his sullen look. Influenced by her nonchalant behaviour, he also reached for his food and began eating. He does not advocate talking while dining but seeing the person in front eating heartily it would be rude of him not to pick his spoon. 

“You mean you wanted to repay the kindness of my family?” She ate her food with the appetite of a starving girl. Still graceful nonetheless. “But whatever the Troy family owed to my Erde has already been cleared. The relationship is equal now.”   

He was thrown off the rhythm by her tone.

“But my elders do not think so.”

He agrees with her statement of equality. It’s the 22nd Century already even royal titles no longer have the same power as it had in the past. Former vassals have also risen in position and are no longer bound by the old rules.

“You’re prevaricating. What you wanted to tell me is not this, am I correct?” Sena suddenly said. 

Dresden was caught off guard. “You’re right.”

He came specifically to meet her personally, so far he only heard rumours. As a businessman rumours equate to air for him but this is Maya’s half-sister. Though Maya hasn't said any unkind words about her, the look of grievance and loneliness on her face was obvious, especially now that  conflict arose because of that jewellry ad. He could see from Maya’s silent response that the issue has damaged her greatly. 

Thinking of her silently enduring instead of crying out loud and throwing a fit made his good will towards her rise. Women should be like that, he thought. He owed Maya a great favour, and he wanted to help her settle into a smooth life as easy as possible and knowing that she was in trouble, Dresden wanted to help.

Gaining back the position for Maya is only a matter of a few words, however, Sena is not just about any other girl he can brush off either. Their families are close acquaintances, and ever since young his grandfather wanted him to look out for her despite his protest and since the company involves Sena, he had to move cautiously. 

He thought of going to the president of Horizon for a negotiation; he eventually discarded the idea and went directly to Sena with the intention of speaking on behalf of Maya to ease the pressure. 

But seeing her posture, he already judged it to fail.  

Sena was exactly the kid made to create chaos in his orderly life. The kind he did not want to deal with. He looked at the lady in a floral embroidered mini skirt and ruffled silk blouse. Her face tilted up to him. Unexpectedly, he finds himself unable to retain his stare.

Sena shrugged. If he really looked upon old sentiments, he should have opinions about Maya showing interest in her properties. However, he did not, so she didn’t take his words seriously.

“About your sister--”

“Half.” Sena cut in, her voice frosty. 

“Your half-sister.” Dresden corrected himself but before he could move one, she spoke again. 

“If this is about an internet rumor, I’m not interested. I believe you won’t be lacking any time to thoroughly check the cause and effect.” She then looked at him across the table with a tepid expression. “About repaying the grace of my family, I’m very open about it.” 

Dresden was stumped. But then she dropped another bomb.

“Oh, I almost forgot. The Troy Corporation has already turned over 5% of their 10% share on my Nexus Global. It would be too much for me to take what’s left. Don’t worry I have no plans of taking the remaining 5%.”

She wasn’t petty, his transgression towards her has nothing to do with the rest of his family. The matters of repayment should be settled already.

“Our families had a long time of friendship and I hope we can maintain that until the next line as well.”

In short, since I’m nice to you, don't come after me with a knife! She had nothing to do with him and it should stay that way no matter how Maya whined and acted sentimental with her usual drama.

Dresden was entirely quiet while she talked. From beginning to end, not a word about their old friendship was mentioned. The little girl who pestered and followed him like a bug before is nowhere to be seen, not even a shadow. 

Unfortunately for Sena, no matter how much she wanted to avoid last life’s blunder she has no idea of this person’s train of thought. Actually, Dresden planned to return all the shares as his way of showing his sincerity. Once upon a time, the elders of their families joked about pairing them together, unfortunately, they were too young to decide for themselves so it was halted. 

Recently, his grandfather broached the topic again. But Dresden has already had bad impressions of Sena tossing her hapless sister and that added more to his conviction not to proceed with the engagement. As compensation, he will return all shares he has on their company. No matter what his marriage must be his to decide. He didn’t want to have any burden when he cut off all relations but when she refused the remaining 5% he concluded she must have a hidden agenda. 

His expression hardened. 

Sena had no idea what was wrong with what she said that suddenly the person’s face became overcast. Did it upset him because she received their 5% equity without any reluctance? But he voluntarily returned it! What’s making him mad?

Both people are stubborn. Too bad their brain waves do not align… 

“Ms Erde, you should know that there was an engagement between us. Another purpose of me coming to you right now is to inform you that the will of my elders does not reflect my own,” Dresden said, exuding a breath of mid-winter frost and emphasized, “I will not follow through with it.” 

Sena enjoying her food: ???

Well hell, some things are really hard to avoid no matter how much she refuses to participate in it. Dresden misunderstood her reaction and began making random speculations that she may have an intention to proceed with it; that was why she was hesitating.

If only Sena heard his thoughts she would probably jump over the table and give him a kick on the head. 

Sir, you calm down a little. I don’t like you too!

Thus she almost did so when she heard him say the same words again;

Dresden tapped his finger on the tabletop looking at her as though looking down on a silly child, “I have known you since you were small, you can be more honest with me there’s no other people around here.”

Silence. An utter awkward silence. 

Sena put her cutleries down.  

“There is no way I am changing my mind on this matter.” He paused observing her reaction, then said confidently. “We are not going to end up together. I already found a proper spouse candidate.”

That half-sister of hers, no doubt about it. 

But why not leave her alone?! Blood surged to Sena’s head. My god, she wanted to flip the table. Problem is that it was too heavy! So she slapped it instead to Dresden’s amazement.

He was within enough distance to hear her mutter, “Did no one ever tell you you have a bloated ego?”

His eyes dangerously turned to slits. “Sena Erde, watch your tongue...”

“What makes you think I would have the slightest bit of interest in you? You’re not a rare species.” She scoffed sarcastically. “Apart from having money and that face, you’re just a self-righteous asshole. Don’t you know?”

Dresden’s expression cracked hearing the undisguised vulgar words from her mouth. She looks so cultured and refined. He thought she was a quiet and level-tempered girl, he did not expect her to be a little firecracker. And the firecracker is glaring at him. 

She rose to her feet, poking the table with a finger. How good would it feel if it were his eyes instead!

“Listen here Dresden Troy and you listen good,” Sena huffed as she pressed down the violent emotions trying to break out. “As far as I know this engagement was just a joke among elders, neither I nor my mother agreed to it. If I had known I would receive such ridicule from you over it I would be the first to call grandpa Oslo. And since you have so repulsively mentioned it then, let us end it.”

The cynical curve at the edge of her mouth grew deep but she wasn’t done yet. 

“Firstly, I’m young and surely not desperate to push myself to someone like you. I left the remaining equity for the sake of grandpa Oslo. Secondly, I’m not crazy but I’d rather hit myself with a brick than freeze to death being with you!” Sena flung her table napkin leaving the dumbfounded man on his seat. “This conversation spoiled my appetite.”

Dresden felt like someone had sucker-punched him. 

There were only a few instances where he felt his heart beat uncontrollably. One was back when his car careened towards the guardrail a few centimetres away from a cliff. The other when he was teasing a friend’s pet tiger and nearly got nicked by its claws. To say excitement was an understatement, it was borderline fright. 

“So you don’t like me…?” 

Sena wanted to vomit right now. Closing the doors with a bang was her answer. 

Sena felt like she had freed herself from a suffocating cage. Years and years of resentment poured out in a torrent. She was trembling all over. It took a lot of effort to stop herself from doing a silly victory dance.   

God, she had been dying to do that since last life. It felt greatly satisfying. 

Who gave him such a thick face to assume she would even like him? 

Peh!  

Inside Dresden had an ugly expression, choked with the words that didn’t manage to get out of his mouth.

Very well. She didn’t want anything to do with him. So was he! 

He refused to acknowledge he was intimidated by a woman. How dare she look at him with contempt? 

To the many people he met from flattery to fury, this was his first time seeing a face full of genuine disgust. Yes, it was disgust. Pure unadulterated disgust. 

Was he wrong? He was just testing the waters like most people would do. He lied about finding a spouse candidate to dissuade whatever idea she has. According to Maya, Sena had always admired him since young. It did not turn out the way he expected. He pissed her off. 

Dresden should be relieved yet left with an uncomfortable feeling churning inside him... at the same time, he felt awake. 

He, Dresden Troy, the golden bachelor deemed as a man of women’s dream along with the trappings of wealth and fame was snubbed by her. Was he so unbearable? He was lost for a moment. 

Being left in silence had made him mull over a few things. Then he smiled sardonically. In the end, he could only blame his unfounded prejudice. 

When he called for the staff to pay for the meal he was told that Ms Erde already settled the bill.

“She said it was her treat to you.”

The staff in the restaurant had a good time watching him walk out with a dark face.

Dresden wandered around the boulevard trying to get her face off his mind. It was his mistake this time. Because of his doubt, he insulted her and now she sees him as a person with a huge idiot sign over his head. A hateful one to be exact.

And if his grandfather knew what he did today… 

His phone rang, and when he saw the name his frown unconsciously turned to ice.

16