74. Meribeth’s Changes
190 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

There is a drizzle outside the window today. 

Meribeth sipped her lemonade while watching an online video of Sena convincing a property owner about the improvements to her house. A month after the encounter with her at the family dinner, she had been having repetitive dreams. 

“I must be out of my mind.” She chided herself not knowing where this impulse to watch her cousin came from.  

Coming into view on her tablet is a gorgeous oceanfront wood and glass house that stood like a beacon on top of a hill. The owner had several brokers handle her place but it has been in the market for over two years now and still did not sell. Meribeth wondered how Sena would negotiate to take this off the market list. The design was too old fashioned and the price was unreasonably high. The few who were interested in viewing lost all interest because of how it was presented. 

If others failed to sell the old property, how else could Sena do it? In the next minute, Meribeth witnessed how her estranged cousin worked calmly with the client. The lady stood gracefully in her black puffed sleeved blouse and orange pencil skirt not showing signs of timidity at all. The elegance ingrained in her bones was greatly magnified by her every move, minute expression and speech. There is always fluidity in her action, a kind of charisma and a certain authority unique only to her.  

Meribeth had to admit that this cousin of hers was built differently with little to no flaws in all angles. A stunner in its truest form. Perhaps more charming than most celebrities she knew. But beauty is only a part of her charms, most of it was on how she carried herself with total assurance . 

Sena walked leisurely around the ‘outdated’ house pointing out areas to be improved and suggesting the well-suited design it deserves. Of course, what she said was only her opinion and it was still up for the client to make the final decision. 

As someone who majors in design, Meribeth found herself agreeing with Sena's words and as the minutes passed she couldn’t take her eyes off the show. She completely forgot she came to see Sena make a joke of herself so that she can add a few ridicules in the comments. 

First, the interior was old; it certainly does need a lot of improvement in fixtures and new sets of furniture matching its aesthetic. Surprisingly, not once did the owner show any resistance while Sena explained to him the details. Finally, they arrived at the negotiation for the right price.

“How will you handle it?” She found herself muttering. “The owner will not agree.” Meribeth bit the straw of her lemonade. Deep within her, however, she was hoping this negotiation would succeed. 

Strange. But she told herself it was only because she got invested while watching. It would be a pity if it failed. 

Being a real estate agent was no easy job, clients are very picky about every little thing. Although Sena looked relaxed, talking and helping them get what they want is also equally stressful. 

Meribeth felt she also accumulated the same amount of stress just by watching. What more if she’s out there doing negotiations? 

Sena went for a price reduction explaining that if it was sold too high, it will only repeat the same process as it did two years ago. The former agents who handled this property went for a huge price tag completely making it unsellable. Sena naturally wanted to sell it for what it’s worth but they had to make a few changes in its appearance to match it. 

“Ugh, this ancient ghost, what more does he want?” Meribeth murmured sullenly looking at the house owner. She suspects he was deliberately stretching the discussion so he can ogle Sena’s face for long— ptui! (sound of spitting).

Dirty old bastard!  

In the end, Sena gave him time to consider her suggestion. Eventually, the owner agreed since he had no other options than the one being offered at the moment. 

At this point, Meribeth found herself clapping like a seal: Hahahaha, done. Now get out of—

She suddenly stopped in horror. 

(☉_☉)

Oh my God, why is she clapping like an idiot?!  

Meribeth grabbed her face hot with embarrassment. Gathering her wits back, she poked the screen to jump on the next video of the follow up process. From the original twenty-five million, it went down to 22.5 million. It was also recorded when the house’s interiors were enhanced until it received three offers a month after it was posted.

“It was really sold so soon.” She had said absently while pressing replay to confirm it was off the market.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, are you sure you’re selling a house not pancakes? 

If before she had her misgivings and prejudice against Sena’s ability, she is now convinced that the obnoxious brat does have talent. 

Wait— there seems to be something wrong again. This ridiculous spoiled cousin of hers who always looked at her under her nose managed to impress her?! Annoyed, Meribeth grabbed her hair. 

-knock knock- 

“Meribeth, your cousin called— what are you watching? You made too much noise.” Her mother Agatha came in. 

When she saw it was Sena on the screen, she sneered. 

“Why are you wasting your time with this cheap show?”

“It’s not cheap, it’s a special program from DailyBuzz on CHBC TV. They asked her for an interview about her work.”

Mrs Martin’s well-maintained face looked apathetic, “So she really went and chose to sell houses instead of going into big brother’s company? This Sena is very stubborn, knowing that her mother is gone she should make peace with her dad and behave.”

Meribeth frowned, she did have her grievance against Sena but hearing it from her mother she suddenly felt uncomfortable. It reminded her of Mrs Martin’s reaction when she chose Bachelor of Arts instead of Business Management. She had the same condescending look and unconcealed disgust in her eyes. 

“Sena is good at what she does actually. Look, she just sold a twenty-two million dollar house that had been pending on the market for two years.”

Mrs Martin waved her hand off as if what she heard was insignificant. “Do you think what she does is advantageous to your uncle? I tell you, the rebellious brat only wanted to add more trouble to him.”

Behind her, Meribeth’s expression fell. Seeing how hard Sena worked for this deal and how passionate she was while exchanging conversation made her admire her guts but then she would hear her mother belittle it. A soft part of Meribeth’s heart was pinched. 

Has it always been like this for her? 

Certainly, Sena has done her best. A question came unbidden. 

“Mom, what is it that you dislike about Sena? She’s your niece, uncle’s first child after all. Besides, from what I have known, when Paula married uncle Albert back then he was just an average businessman and if it wasn’t for her help that—”

It was then that she noticed her mother’s scornful face froze. 

“As my brother’s wife, that was something Paula should do. She came from a rich family, isn’t it natural for her to help husband get ahead?”

But the slut clearly doesn’t know how to behave. 

“She helped your uncle on the condition that he should hand over a twenty percent share of the Luz companies to her.” Agatha said angrily. 

Meribeth’s face showed surprise. Does that mean Sena has the largest share in the company? She didn’t know this, she always thought Maya receiving a five percent share on her 18th birthday was such a lucky girl. She remembered feeling envious of her cousin. 

“Twenty… twenty percent is only fair, right?” She replied. “She did take out a huge amount of capital for the company to recover.” If it weren’t for that, who knows if there would be Luz Companies today. 

“No!” Mrs Martin gritted her teeth. “That company was founded by my brother! The biggest shares should have been given to us, his family. Not to outsiders.”

She was horrified at her mother’s thinking. So because Paula is wealthy she should use her money to revive her husband’s company without complaints? Even if that husband despite everything she did betrayed her for another woman? For the first time in her life, Meribeth saw facts clearly. 

Of how greedy this family has become. 

Of how vain and backward their views are. 

And she felt immensely disappointed, not just with her mother but with herself.

Realizing that her emotion is going out of control Mrs Martin tried to calm down. 

“Let’s not talk about this.” She then switched to a new topic. “Maya said you haven’t returned her calls. She wants you to call or send a message at least. I know you’re busy with college lately but you also have to help your cousin now that she is a big celebrity.” 

“What kind of help can I give her?” She asked wearily. 

“Maya is set to go to the Children Welfare Institute for an outreach and feeding program.”

Meribeth’s stiffened. “CWI is handled by the alumni of Edelweiss Academy. We have no connection to that place.” 

Her mother looked at her pointedly. 

“Maya’s agency wanted her to actively appear in these charity events as a representative of her mother. As you know, Crisanta has been donating money to those abandoned children in the orphanage.”

“But she has never donated to CWI before.”

“She never tried to because CWI is mainly sponsored by Paula.” Agatha said grimly. 

It was also because of her sponsorship that she always gets invited to certain exclusive functions. But now that the bitch is dead there is no stopping Crisanta from freely sending donations and who knows, she might eventually snag that shining socialite title. 

“There is news that one of the founders of CWI will organize an auction after Christmas to raise funds. If Maya’s luck is good, she might be able to get in the good graces of the founders.” 

“Mom, CWI is founded by children of prominent families…” Meribeth mumbled.   

“Exactly, if Maya gets to be friends with one of them there is a chance she would get to know their parents and eventually meet more important personalities. Leave it to your cousin to help us expand our acquaintances.” Agatha said excitedly. “I know you can find a way, we are counting on you.”

Before Meribeth would have answered yes immediately but after thinking about their true intentions behind this charitable venture, she felt the pit of her stomach swirl. Meribeth was silent for a long moment before issuing a weak nod. 

 

Two weeks later… 

Surrounded by a wrought iron gate filled with thriving colors of crepe myrtle and camelias, Meribeth stood at the terrace of a French provincial villa where the Luz’s are attending an auction at the moment and marveled at the scene that looked very much like a slice of paradise. 

Beneath azure blue skies with puffy white clouds, elegantly dressed men and women walk about the meticulously arranged gardens of The Grove, a high-end clubhouse for the powerful and influential. Nearby, a group of young women her age gathered in clusters sipping expensive wines while attentive waiters holding trays of champagne flutes and hors d'oeuvre hovered around in the background in case a guest needed a refill on their wine or wanted something to eat.

Albert and Crisanta Luz were talking to their sponsor and several other guests congratulating them for the successful sale of the art piece by a legendary jeweler craftsman Euclid Iluminari  from the old Imperial Histonia. The proceeds of the priceless objet d’art is going to benefit the Children’s Welfare Institute helping them raise funds for the college education of its promising talents. 

Below Maya is being escorted by Timothée Rosamaria, the son of the Luz’s family sponsor. In the end, they get to achieve their aim. Meribeth smiled faintly before a surge of isolation swept over her.  The Luz’s are celebrating, they became the focus of attention today and it goes without saying that as a relative she should feel glad about it because they are slowly beginning to break into the upper reaches of society but she was feeling completely empty. 

Timothée Rosamaria can be called a perfect gentleman with exceptional education and superb pedigree. Between him and the businessman Dresden Troy, Maya knows who to choose. It has been a couple of months since the two broke their relationship peacefully. Mr Troy did not react as much when Maya proposed they end everything. At first, Maribeth thought she was merely playing a temper to teach Dresden a lesson but Maya simply split with no nostalgia. The reason is that she could not use him to stimulate Sena and another is she has found somebody new. Preferably with a more solid background and ancestral wealth. As for Dresden Troy’s take on this sudden breakup, she doesn’t know.

Timothée was a good friend of hers until she introduced him to Maya during an outreach program. She should really commend her family’s ability to investigate her acquaintances, knowing that she had some friendship with the heir of Rosamaria family, they quickly decided to push Maya in the front regardless of her feelings.  

Not even a day has passed her uncle Albert proudly announced that Timotheé volunteered to accompany Maya to an auction. Meribeth couldn’t help a wry smile. When they said they were counting on her, they were actually counting on her friendship with Timotheé. 

During Maya’s volunteering in CWI, she happened to mention an object that looks similar to one of the twenty imperial treasures of Histonia kept in their home and swiftly piqued Timothée’s interest. According to her, the said art piece was obtained by her father abroad. Meribeth is aware that Mrs Rosamaria loves to collect rare objects and she would absolutely adore something from the imperial family. Maya spilling the secret was the same as winning the madam’s favor. 

Days later, Meribeth could only watch as they fully realized their purpose. Maya began a series of inquiries about Timothée’s hobbies and interest from her as their meetups frequent. Later she heard that Maya had completely impressed Mrs Rosamaria and was willing to sponsor her at an event where she planned to auction the imperial treasure for charity. 

At that point, Meribeth was extremely disgusted. 

The Rosamaria family, as one of the Capital City’s generous and oldest philanthropists, there are only a few people who don't recognize them. There are even fewer percent who can get close to them. However, that doesn’t prevent people from trying. 

The many prominent clans of Capital City have reigned supreme and enjoyed their privileges as the founding families.

Meribeth leaned on the railing sighing deeply. 

She guessed that meeting Timothée was just the beginning. In less than a week the grandest event where these people will come and gather will commence. Chartreuse Gala is the one that can be called an elite annual affair with an invitation list of only 500 names, and each name is based on the individual’s exceptional charitable spending habits. Naturally, the Rosamaria family can never be excluded. 

Meribeth’s suspicion came true as the elders below exchanged amiable conversation and confirmed Timothée’s attendance for the benefit. Then she heard Timothée voice his intention to bring Maya as his partner. 

“Are you sure?” Maya exclaimed. Unable to believe it. 

Timothée smiled modestly. “As one of the founders of CWI I am required to attend. It would be lonely without a companion since I will not be the one receiving the award this year.” 

“But, but is it proper?”

“Maya dear, don’t be nervous.” Mrs Rosamaria patted her hand. “Timothée could use a pretty face to liven up his stoic self during the gala.” 

“This year will be the president’s turn to receive the award on behalf of CWI. I can finally relax.”

The people below laughed.   

Meribeth took the announcement with a neutral attitude. Although underhanded and disgusting, she had to admire Maya for her cunningness. Tired, she moved to the cushioned wicker chair to rest her weary self. 

“Not enjoying the party?” A cold masculine voice spoke from behind. 

“Not a place I would usually stay.” She replied dryly, then looked up…

And she saw Dresden Troy.

Meribeth froze on her seat, staring, her eyes widening in disbelief that he was here. Although the Luz made it to the guest list it took them several careful scheming to get mixed within the upper circles. How did an ordinary businessman like Dresden get invited here?! 

“Is Ms. Martin finding these types of occasions suffocating?” He asked, casually leaning on a column throwing his gaze below. Towards Maya flitting beside Timothée like a colorful butterfly. A cold, ironic smile flashed on his lips. 

Meribeth mistook it as something else; he must be feeling hurt but was wise enough to silently endure his boiling emotions. This made her sigh inwardly. 

“I have no contributions here.” She replied with a shrug. 

“Oh, but you’re wrong.” Dresden chuckled. “Your friendship with Timothée Rosamaria was a great platform for your uncle and cousin to stand right here.” 

He knows! 

Meribeth’s face collapsed as slow burning anger rose from her chest at his ruthless reminder. “I understand you are feeling rather upset with this setup but your grievance has nothing to do with me. So was your separation from Maya.” 

In fact, she did not just lose a friend today but a whole damn family when they specifically told her to reduce interacting with Timothée and let Maya take over. Upset and tired at the same time, Meribeth stood from the seat. A waiter carrying a tray filled with champagne passed and she plucked a flute to cool herself down.  

Dresden looked at the girl who looked terribly miffed but chose not to fire back. A slow imperceptible smile pulled the corners of his lips. Meribeth Martin’s profile shows she was a vain and vulgar girl but from the angle where he was looking at her, he could see neither of those descriptions. She dressed herself appropriately but only had a diamond bracelet on her slim white wrist. No heavy makeup as shown in her photos. She was about to chug down the wine when he timely caught her wrist. 

“You’re angry with me and I apologize for using the wrong tone. But I don’t think drinking is a good idea for throwing a fit.” He offered lightly. 

“And what do you suggest—” She replied with an impatient jerk of her arm. Her fingers lost their strength from being held wrongly and the glass stem slipped.

Gold liquid spewed from the flute and drenched the front of his black shirt. 

“Oh crap—” Meribeth exclaimed, drowning out the startled gasps from the onlookers. “I’m so sorry!” A waiter hurried in to assist while she hurriedly searched her small bag from a tissue or a handkerchief. “I didn’t mean to… that was thoughtless of me…” she babbled, unable to look him in the eye.

When the chilled drink doused Dresden’s shirt, his skin instantly tightened and when she began dabbing madly at the wet mess with her pink Hello Kitty handkerchief, he visibly flinched but the sight of her frantically apologizing has made his annoyance switch to amusement.  

“Sir, Miss, do you need anything?” the waiter asked in which Meribeth miserably replied. “A door to the nearest exit please.” 

Dresden had to bite back a laugh that involuntarily rushed out from his chest.

“Mr Troy, I… I have no excuse. Perhaps I can help you buy a new shirt and send this one to the dry cleaners.” 

She was dying of embarrassment and when she did not hear him say a word she looked up nervously. “I better get out of here.” she mumbled stupidly. Of all the people she had to carelessly offend it has to be this one!  

“If you have plans on leaving now,” Dresden said, making her fine hair stand. “May I suggest you take me with you? The wet shirt is a valid enough excuse to get out.”

Both of her eyes almost jumped out of their sockets at the incredulous remark. 

“Was the suggestion too sudden, Ms. Martin?” He drawled out, his pale blue eyes watching her like a hawk.  

Several minutes later, the elder of Rosamaria family was informed by a staff member that the VIP who bought the Histonia art piece already went home with a lady companion. 

6