75. Linda Tang vs Small Annoyances
230 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Shu Lakeside Villa 

 

A lady in a pale yellow silk dress sat in an elegant garden set. On top of the small table, are the delicate Flora Danica tea cups and plates holding several colorful pastries. Linda Tang’s thick-lashed eyes peered on the surroundings devoid of any curiosity. If she had gotten bored of the women’s topic about business, art and what not, it did not show on her face.

“More than half of the people came from the auction at The Grove the other day while half of them were curious as to what took place during the event.” Mrs Eleanor Muller said playfully. “Linda darling, I heard you also did not attend?”

“I was feeling out of sorts lately.” 

“Oh, dear… the first trimester is the most challenging for first time mothers.”

“Hm, it is.” She gave the older matron a beaming smile before putting her eyes towards the head table where the host sat with their new acquaintance. 

“So it’s true. This Maya Luz is said to have donated a piece from the Histonian imperial clan and instantly charmed Mrs Rosamaria.” Mrs Waller remarked dryly. 

Linda watched Maya smile politely as she was being introduced to new friends by her sponsor Mrs Rosamaria. When the madam took Maya’s elbow to pull her towards their direction, Linda nearly rolled her eyes. She saw the chit halt on her step when she saw her but then she quickly wiped the surprised look on her face and changed it with a pure innocent smile.

Linda was awfully disgusted. How thrilled would you be to know that you are about to be introduced to a cunning, manipulative and perpetually jealous little snake? 

Mrs Muller gave an inelegant snort, “Leave it to the newcomers bringing a replica of some lost treasure to get the attention of the Rosamaria family.” As if to wash away a bad taste, she swallowed the black tea on her cup. 

“The replica, you say madam?” Mrs Waller turned to her side abruptly making her large sapphire earring sway. 

“Didn’t you know? All twenty of Euclid Illuminari’s best works were mostly female accessories. Tiaras, fan and jewelleries. Am I correct, dear Linda?” 

“It is.” Linda agreed. “If you follow all the works of Sir Euclid, it is easy to distinguish which objects are his masterpieces compared to those of his followers. I saw in the brochure that the one in the auction was a pill box.”

“It is!” Mrs Amhurst affirmed. 

“Well, the original design is actually a locket pendant.”

“Ah the pendant!” Mrs Waller exclaimed. “I’ve read it somewhere before. Sir Euclid declared it was made especially for the wife of Histonia’s only archduke. The half brother of the emperor who happens to be his friend as well. The pendant was made of intricate gold stems with tiny diamonds and rubies as buds. Ten years later after the master jeweler’s death, his student made the same design in the form of a pill box as homage to his teacher; it was also given to the archduchess as a birthday gift.” 

“Over the years, many rumors about the Illuminari art pieces spread. Copies also sprouted like weeds.” Mrs Muller nodded. 

“Then the item that was sold off…”

“Is a replica.” Linda said with a smile. “I had the privilege of seeing the original pendant not so long ago.”

Say about a few months.  

“Shame, it turns out it wasn’t a masterpiece of an iconic jeweler.” 

The conversation wasn’t muted in the least and was heard by several guests in the party. Naturally, it reached certain people’s ears. Out in the corner of her eye, Linda saw Mrs Rosamaria stop on her tracks. Her disappointment was immediate and intense; she looked at Maya questioningly. She also vaguely saw Crisanta Luz hurrying to explain.

Linda was quite proud.

( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ The little brat should thank her later! 

She surmised that Mrs Rosamaria might have never known the history of the pill box. 

“Although it wasn’t an Illuminari art piece, it could have still fetched a high price since it was owned by the archduchess.” A younger lady regretted not bidding for it.

Imagine owning something once used by royalty? 

Linda also did not bid for it since she knew Dresden came to take it back. She was sure it was left by aunt Paula at the Luz Mansion but she did not expect these people would have such thick faces to sell an item they do not own. 

<( ̄ー ̄)> Shameless, ah! 

Thankfully, that was the only piece they got their hands into. Sena sent most of it back to their home in Histonia. Linda felt absolutely refreshed after putting a stumbling block in front of Maya. 

Now it is up to Mrs Rosamaria whether to investigate the origin and continue acquainting herself with the Luz family. 

“Ms Banks—” 

“Mrs Tang.” Linda interrupted firmly before lifting her gaze. 

“Mrs Tang.”  Sophie Qin in a blue halter dress repeated reluctantly. “I couldn’t get used to it until now.” 

People watching then would think they were close friends but that was only until they heard Linda speak with unveiled distaste: 

“You were at my wedding a year ago, dear. Forgot it so soon?” 

The women on the table were startled by the edge of her tone thus they turned to look at the newcomer curiously. 

“Uhm, I’m sorry.” Sophie said in contrition by lowering her head. “I was just surprised after seeing you here.”

“Believe it or not here I am wondering about the same thing as well.” 

Her meaning was obvious. How could Sophie manage to get in this gathering? After disappearing for a long time, she shows herself completely unaffected by the mess she left with the Che family. 

“I came with a friend.” 

Only then does Linda notice that Sophie is accompanied by the young lady Evee Rosamaria who just returned from abroad but she merely raised an eyebrow.

Sophie swallowed her anger, “Isn’t big brother Leo’s company currently competing with Rosamaria for a new project?” 

Linda smiled shallowly while wondering if Sophie’s brain was damaged. Is she qualified to ask this kind of question?

Smelling the scent of drama, the ladies nearby sharpened their sense of hearing. It’s not everyday these upper crust women see a live performance so they were excited to hear the details. 

“All we need is an invitation.” Linda replied, stirring the silver soon on the delicate cup. “The Tangs and Rosamarias belong to the same circle so it’s normal to socialize.” 

Sophie smirked secretly, “I, I just never expected that the distinguished young mistress of the Tang family would be in an event the same as your business rival.”

“Business is business, personal connections are, however, different.” Linda emphasized. “Most of the women here had competed with us and with each other for many projects, right ladies?”

The women echoed with faint smiles. 

“See? That’s how it works here. We don’t whine or throw tantrums just because we lose one deal or two.” 

So don’t even think of sowing discord here! Linda laughed inwardly. 

The young girl who came with Sophie stepped up, her eyes shining “Mrs Tang, you are everything people said you were. I have heard many anecdotes of you.” 

“Oh, that’s a pity.” Linda faced her whilst smiling like a wolf at a little lamb. 

Evee Rosamaria bit her lower lip. “Why?”

“People tend to say the awfulest of things and forget the nicest ones most of the time.”

Evee’s eyes widened. 

“But if I were as bad as the impression, you’d be crying by now.” 

“O-Oh.” 

Sophie felt her scalp tighten when Evee cast her a look. It wasn’t a secret that she always spoke badly behind Linda’s back to twist people's perception of her. 

However, Linda is not a softie to be provoked either. 

“People say I have such a bad mouth in contrast to my face.” Linda said casually. “But that is something everyone is most familiar with. We all experience being spoken ill of behind our backs before they get to know the good in us. Am I correct?” 

Evee nodded her head. Sophie did tell her that Linda Banks is not easy to get along with because of her domineering attitude. She said plenty of words of caution before approaching which she thought would help her get close to the new mistress of the Tangs. But…  

Sophie suddenly took hold of the conversation, “Evee was just trying to compliment you Mrs Tang. There is no need to be cross.” 

“I wasn’t being cross. We have no grudges. I was merely laying out facts.” Linda replied. 

“The young lady is right,” Crisanta Luz came out of nowhere and spoke. 

The women frowned. Noticing the weird atmosphere, Crisanta who was poor at social graces did not care. Standing not far away allowed her to take a good look at the elegant socialites who were there while Mrs Rosamaria provided her with tidbits of information about their lofty pedigrees and important achievements. 

In a way, it was also Mrs Rosamaria subtly warning her not to speak arbitrarily. However she could not help herself and butt in. But suddenly receiving the women’s frowns made Crisanta Luz stiffen.  

Linda did not even look at her, she turned to Evee, “How did you meet Ms Qin, by the way?” 

Maya’s face sank when her mother was blatantly brushed off. 

The ladies also wondered. All of them know Evee Rosamaria but her companion is a fresh face. Sophie noticed that everyone’s gaze seemed to drift on her and she began to break out in cold sweat. 

As people whispered, Evee said. “She’s a friend of mine whom I met just recently. I had a bit of trouble when I was on a vacation and Sophie offered to help me. She said she knew you and CEO Tang.” 

After Evee spoke, Crisanta Luz found the opportunity to stick like a sore thumb once again.  

“Oh, it turns out that Ms Sophie helped Ms Evee, this is a good start. Great friendships begin at unexpected moments, don't they?” 

A lady nearby laughed sarcastically. “You’re saying Sophie Qin will become a good friend?” Her contempt was strong enough to override her years of etiquette training about loose talks. “Isn’t she the one who caused trouble during the Tang couple’s wedding?”

A collective surprised gasp was heard. Crisanta Luz felt cold to her stomach out of nowhere. Did she say something… wrong? Maya wished she had stopped her mother from talking. 

“Later she befriended the youngest sister of Rachelle Che, unfortunately, the little girl ended up in an accident. Is this the kind of person you want to be close with?” 

Crisanta Luz avoided everyone’s gaze. “I, I did not mean that.” 

The lady did not disclose the said accident but continued to say in a warning tone. “Ms Evee, you should be careful with your acquaintances. I heard she offended many people. Mrs Carol for one, when she had a relationship with her husband. Another was Rachelle Che who was looking for her until today.”

There were gasps. “What happened?”

“Oh, it appears that Ms Sophie Qin here swindled Rachel’s sister, making her pay for a luxurious hotel suite, high end spa treatments and shopping for expensive things before disappearing.” 

Evee Rosamaria’s face began to turn blue. Why, isn’t it the same as the things she did for Sophie?! 

“Sophie, say something—” 

Mrs Rosamaria was also horrified that she subconsciously pulled her daughter. “Is this true?”

“Evee, believe me, I was sincere to you. I want to be your friend.” She took the girl’s hand frantically. 

When Sophie saved her from being harassed she thought for sure she found a reliable friend. She had few friends in this country and Sophie seems to be in the same social circle. 

“But…” 

Sophie’s eyes changed. She let go of the hand she was holding and took a step back. Her whole body was trembling in rage. “You’re doubting me?”

Evee felt complicated. She had never seen this friend show her a bad face. 

“Baby,” Mrs Rosamaria saw her daughter’s despair and felt sad for her. 

“Then what about Rachelle Che?” 

Sophie felt like swallowing nails. She couldn’t speak and could only stare at the bunch of snooty ultra-rich women with fire in her chest. Why?! Just because they have money and were born into wealthy families they can look at her as if she were vermin and trample on her dignity? Her eyes darted from one woman to another taking note of their expression. 

Then… her gaze drifted to Linda. She was sitting leisurely taking small bites on a dainty piece of cake with a golden spoon, she was elegant and privileged. As she released a turbid air out of her lungs, Sophie wondered if that was part of Leo’s fascination with Linda. A woman of great vanity. 

She pursed her mouth restraining an ugly smile. “Are you happy seeing me like this?” 

Linda wiped an icing off her lip. “Should I?” 

In short, you are not important.  

Sophie nearly collapsed in anger. All her life… all her life she could only stand on the sidelines looking pitifully at Linda and Sena’s glittering bubble wishing to get into it. But since she knew she couldn't get in no matter what, a dark twisted desire of challenging it to burst overcame her. 

“Sophie?” Evee  asked. 

In a span of several seconds, a slow smile pulled at the corners of Sophie’s mouth. “You are all women who didn’t know hardships.”

“I only want to hear your answer.” Evee said. She thought she found a confidante when she needed it the most. It turns out to be an illusion in the end.  

“You just want me to explain and make a fool of myself more.” Sophie snorted. Looking at her like a naive fool. “For those of you who were born in the lap of luxury, I can only say one thing: Don’t be too comfortable. Who knows when this bubble will burst.”

Linda spat inwardly: Did she think of herself as some kind of a bullied heroine? 

Everyone: We've seen similar scenes like this over the years. 

Sophie was indignant and she felt that her attitude was justified given how these ignorant rich ladies despise her. Just when she thought she rendered everyone speechless, she heard a slow clap. 

Linda chuckled lightly. “If I remember correctly, Ms Qin came from a middle-class family and your father had a good position in a company. Don’t sound as if you climb your way from the mud making everyone here feel bad. You see, buying a thousand dollars worth of bags is not a problem if you are willing to save up for it. You may also enjoy a free and easy life if you wisely plan for a better future and work hard.”

Sophie’s jaw tightened. “Shut up.”

The last person she wanted to hear a lecture from is her! 

“Unfortunately, you wanted a shortcut but when you aren’t able to achieve your goal through it, you begin to resent every little thing. You hated those who were ahead thinking life is unfair.” Linda stood, carried her diamond Himalaya Birkin, swayed her hips as she strode away from the lawn and the groups of quiet women. 

Crisanta Luz frowned, feeling as though it wasn’t only Sophie she was scolding but her as well. 

“That Linda Tang has such a big attitude,” she said, shaking her head. “Everyone else toasted with wine but she drank tea leisurely.” 

Mrs Muller stood and looked at her coldly. “That’s the host's goodwill since Linda Tang is pregnant.” 

“I’m done here as well.” The lady who chided Sophie stood and with a deliberate smile she turned to Crisanta Luz. “You seem to have a better impression of Ms Qin, I feel you will get along just fine with common topics about snatching wealthy married men.”  

Crisanta's face turned ashen. 

Mrs Rosamaria suddenly didn’t know what to do. At this rate, the party will be deserted. There would be gossip the next day but she also couldn't abandon the Luzs while in the middle of it.  

“It’s a little late, my chauffeur might be waiting outside.” Mrs Waller, Sydney’s grand aunt said.

“Wait for me, ma’am.” The lady from the opposite seat spoke.

One by one the distinguished guests from this table evacuated leaving the others dumbfounded. 

When several matrons of huge families left just like that, there must be an issue!

6