87. Forgotten Memories
164 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

February is the month when Sena has to return home for Paula’s death anniversary. It’s been two full years in this timeline and she decided to make up for her absence by coming to visit every year beginning today. 

On the night before her departure, she invited everyone to Club Ember to get together. The group consists of Sena’s agents and close friends April, the owner Ramsy, Sidney, Yuya, and Chang’an then Nicholas’ friends Michael, Jacob and Tsukiya. It was the first time her acquaintances from both sides met each other and much to her surprise everyone hit off splendidly despite the different backgrounds. They filled the wide private box overlooking the stage below where the band was playing live. 

“Have you heard the latest gossip about society madams lately?” Sidney nudged her with an elbow and joined her on the couch. 

Sena turned to him in puzzlement. She stayed at home during the weekends and had no idea what news there was on the outside. 

“The necklace you wore, the Rose Garden was dug up and guess what? Someone mentioned the pillbox and explained its origin to Mrs Rosamaria. Crisanta Luz tried to make up a story about buying it abroad but one madam angrily revealed that she snatched it from your mother. Then the matrons could not hold back and ridiculed Mrs Rosamaria for supporting stolen items resulting in both of them losing face in the group! Now Mrs Rosamaria knew how she was fooled by the pair of mother and daughter. It was a mess.” 

Sena’s eyes grew wide at the unexpected news. She thought it would take a while for the charade to end. When she decided to wear the necklace, she did not think it would get any attention since there are a lot of topics to choose from during the gala. Clearly she underestimated the power of the hawk-eyed media. 

Sidney was amused by her reaction. “The good news is yet to be mentioned. According to a friend, Mrs Rosamaria lashed at Crisanta Luz in a fit of anger and declared that there will be no further contact with their family in the future.” 

Sena smiled faintly, guess what comes around goes around. 

In fact what Sidney told her was only the watered down version of the squabble. The actual incident was far more embarrassing because Mrs Rosamaria brought Crisanta Luz to an exclusive resort for a luncheon and introduced her to many of her friends but unfortunately, some of those friends also knew Paula Erde. They knew about Crisanta Luz’s so-called charity donation costing millions using the pillbox, which she did not own by the way. The ladies hated opportunists and liars above all, so when Mrs Rosamaria wanted to brag about the item she was told Crisanta Luz stole and used it to gain her favor. 

Sena had no idea of this. Although the upper society easily forgets scandals for profit's sake, she knew the Luz’s will now have a much harder time going up than before because for one, Mrs Rosamaria can be petty and spiteful. 

A hand came to pat her head gently. 

“You look relieved.” Nicholas smiled. 

“I feel a lot lighter somehow.”

“You should, those kinds of people only reaped what they sowed. They never had any good intention to begin with and it was only a matter of time before they were exposed.” 

She lowered her eyes and in a small voice she said, “Yes but I still cannot forgive them…”

“You do not have to.” He replied, softly affirming her words. “None of them deserve it. Sweetheart, it is not evil to feel angry because you are only human made of flesh. They hurt you and you are entitled to your feelings.”

Sena’s eyes flickered and for a scant second he caught a look of relief.

“No one has the right to force you to feel otherwise.” He said again.

She was a little afraid Nicholas would be put off once he dug deeper into her flaws. Perhaps having a relationship is like this, constantly waiting, anticipating how your lover would feel and think the moment you gambled to reveal your not-so-likable side. However, to her surprise, it was Nicholas himself who gave her words of comfort by neither denying nor brushing off her negative feelings. Her eyes felt hot and she hurriedly lowered her forehead to his shoulder to hide her expression.

“Your emotions do not diminish my opinion of you. I like you the way you are.” He whispered. Then she heard him chuckle and kissed the top of her head.

Nicholas meant what he said. Wholeheartedly. 

He will always love this girl, no matter what. Even when one day she would lose that smile and get too consumed by her need to take revenge, he will be there, holding the other end when she buries the bodies.  

On the other side of the club, Cassandra Liu swayed then sat on the bar counter and ordered a shot of vodka. Her career is going downhill and no matter how hard she tries, nothing seems to work in order to salvage it. The big boss she is dating is very generous to provide for her but not nearly enthusiastic enough to support her way back to the limelight. She is now riddled with scandals after the fiasco with La Bella magazine. 

What about Sena Erde? She got off scot free. 

As an A-lister, she should still have a glorious and flourishing career. What went wrong? She rolled the glass on her hand and mulled over her actions. She admitted it was jealousy. Everything her rival did was a thorn in her eyes. She thought Sena aimed to snatch the La Bella cover girl from her but it turned out to be a misunderstanding and neither of them was selected. 

Her caretaker was keen on her conflict with Sena and to her horror, he even subtly warned that she should not mess with the other party. After the night of the ball she had a lot of time to think things through. Cassandra’s head throbbed. She rubbed it gently to ease the pain. 

Andy Zhang chose Sena out of goodwill and everyone knows that. 

As for the brand endorsement of Lynx? Sena did not even bother with it because the brand’s style was never in line with her aesthetic. She suddenly found herself in such a ridiculous state where her anger turned out to be so unwarranted and superficial. 

With a hopeless look Cassandra, swiped her phone open to call someone. 

“Cancel?” the man on the other side asked. She could hear the sound of a chair scraping on the floor.

“Yes… cancel. No need to do it. I’m done… so tired.”

“Wait, Cassie! What about my fee?”

“Oh that,” she murmured tiredly, “Don’t worry, I’ll send it to your account.”   

After the call, she sighed frustratingly, looked around and paused. She found familiar figures on the second floor. 

“Cassandra?” 

The call made her look away and face the approaching person.

“Miss Shin.” She said flatly. 

Aera Shin came in a little black and gold dress that accentuated her slim and youthful body. Of all the bad timing, she thought, she wanted to leave while she was still sober and avoid as much conversation if she can help it. 

“Taking a nightcap?” Aera smiled. 

Cassandra shrugged. “Yeah.”

“Alone?”

“Just looking for a breather.” She tugged on the strap of shoulder bag. “I’m not staying long, sorry.” 

Aera nodded in understanding, “It’s fine, good night then.”

Cassandra finished her vodka and waved her hand. Aera remained on the bar looking at her back with a sweet smile, several moments passed and she looked up on the second floor where Cassandra had her sights early on and narrowed her eyes.  

Upstairs, Sena ate half of mango ice cream cake and was on her way to nibble a plate of wafer sticks when April came to show her the latest trend. 

“Boss, something’s up.”

The wafer hung from her mouth as soon as she read the glaringly red headline. 

#The True Face of Your Angel

#Who’sYourSugarDaddy

It was a very ambiguous photo of her clinging to a man. The face was obscured but his wide body and arms can be clearly seen holding her gently and wiping her mouth. 

She shot Nicholas a grinning look. 

Nicholas clueless on the side: ??? 

The dim lights provided more mystery and room for imagination to those who did not understand the full context of it. So far there were so few comments asking where the place was or who was the man she was with. 

Tonight she’s wearing a teal halter fringe dress, different from her usual stylish office outfit. Her in the photo looks coquettish and sultry, it could be misunderstood. 

[Give the person a break. Can’t she have a normal nightlife like the rest of the world?]

[It’s not the point, why don’t you fans open your eyes and look how your seemingly sweet and perfect girl degenerates!]

[As a public figure, she should care about her image more. How many young minds will be led astray by her?]

[Ohhh~ it’s those kinds of clubs… if you know what I mean hehe.]

[I swear Sena’s fans are stupid as a rock. They think she’s a harmless little hamster!]

“Should we do something about it?” April asked with a tight frown. 

Sena shook her head. “No, it’s fine.”

It’s not as if she was doing some unspeakable things. Besides, everyone will know the full story eventually so while the public is playing a guessing game, the one behind the scene is waiting for her to deny it so that they can attack more outrageously later. April put her mind at ease and went back to watching the band playing on stage. Sena sat quietly with a thoughtful pout.

“A penny for your thoughts?” Nicholas asked worriedly. 

She tilted her head and looked at him dejectedly.

“Come here.” He coaxed, held her hand and comforted. “Why the long face, hm?”

She shook her head. “Closer.” 

Nicholas was slightly stunned. He moved closer until there were no gaps in between them, clasped her fingers to his, interlocking them. Sena leaned her head at the crook of his neck and played with their intertwined hands. With a smile, Nicholas indulged this rare opportunity of her acting like a baby. 

“I suddenly want to hold.” She said. 

He was thinking of the same thing. 

Looking up at Nicholas, their eyes met and smiled to each other. 

It looks like she’s in a bad mood. Nine of ten have something to do with the post. 

Michael and the boys who were enjoying their brandy on the opposite couch were forced to watch the live cheesy romantic flick and had never felt so alone and single until now. 

Ramsy: Bah, it’s just me and my cold heart. 

Chang’an wished he could wash his eyes. Why are couples so annoying to look at? 

Sidney on the other hand pretended he saw none and scanned the whole floor to look for a partner. Jue is dating Katya, Elia is a feisty chick and no doubt won’t buy his nonsense. April is a good girl and she is quite enjoying Secretary Jacob’s company. As for Rui? 

It so happened that Rui turned in his direction. The light overhead hit the edge of his fluffy hair down to his soft profile. 

“Sid.” Yuya snapped his finger in front, calling his attention.

“Ah?”  

Yuya showed something from his phone that stole his attention. Then they called for Ramsy and whispered something. The latter then nodded and exited the private box to look for people. 

It was past one in the morning when everyone dispersed. 

“Thanks for the treat, boss!” Elia grinned happily before slipping into Tsukiya’s car. The two had been friends since the house party, additionally, they also had some secret online connection through a popular forum.  

Rui was a little tipsy but he can still hold himself and sat with the couple Jue and Katya. The rest of the eggheads went to the bar loft where Ramsy’s apartment is located. Nicholas did not touch alcohol and was tasked to drive the four of them home. Jacob was snoring in the backseat beside April who was too dizzy to find the car door. 

“Unbelievable.” He muttered looking at his secretary. 

Sena patted his shoulder gently, “I did not know he had high alcohol tolerance.”

“Perhaps one of Secretary An’s hidden talents.” Jacob usually drinks his share in private business meetings while he ends up doing the secretary’s job in exchange. 

Sena laughed. The drive back home was smooth and they finally parted ways in the corridor. She took a shower before going to bed and belatedly saw Nicholas’ message after a quarter of an hour.

Nicholas with a sleeping emoji: Get to bed soon. It’s been a long night.

She smilingly replied back: I just finished taking a bath. Sorry for the late reply. 

Nicholas was still up and soon answered: It’s alright, dry your hair well and cover up nicely.

Sena sent her last message with a sleeping cat gif. 

Goodnight, rest well Mr Aiguille. 

Nicholas on the other hand was not asleep and was still on his laptop intending to read entertainment news. The photo taken in the bar is beginning to attract unsavory commenters questioning Sena’s chaotic lifestyle. Just when the gala ended, there was buzz about alcohol, substance use, promiscuity and even a suspected sugar daddy. 

Sugardaddy Nicholas laughed coldly. It echoed particularly eerie in the large apartment.

He keyed in a few messages but just minutes later, the wave of comments changed the overall tense atmosphere leaving him at a loss. When he flipped through another article, he found out that the agents of Diamond Realtor, Sidney and the rest of them had posted their group short videos during the gathering at Penguin. 

Everyone was smiling goofily at the camera. Coupled with the upbeat music they were dancing, laughing and eating. There are also individual and pairing photos. Yuya was swaying wildly on a pole with his LED eyeglasses and purple boa scarf. The table was filled with food and drinks and neither the alleged cigarettes and other banned paraphernalia can be found. 

[Waaah it looks so fun!]

[What’s this? I came ready for a lynching. Why am I seeing a mountain of delicacies???]

[Hairy crab, Kuroge beef… it’s not fair, you are making me hungry!]

[Come out whoever posted this! I now suspect you are advertising foods.]

[Friends, I think this is Sena’s midnight conspiracy to make us all hungry.]

[Ahh, yes Sena. She really knows how to make her haters angry.]

Nicholas tapped his hand on the desk thoughtfully. A commenter later then explained that the bar is not a kind of obscure place but a high-end club owned by a close friend. 

[Holy shite! Club Ember, it’s the club that kicked out the son of Governor XXX and the popular young actor XXX!]

[The inspection is very rigid and unless you are invited by a friend who owns a privilege there you have less chances of entering.] 

[For real?!]

[Notice the music playing live in the background?]

[Ahhhh I heard Hyperion was invited to perform there tonight! Gosh, I’m so envious!!!]

[It’s Hyperion!!!]

[OMG the most popular Asian boy band!]

Seeing the dense barrage of comments, Nicholas rubbed his temple feeling a vein pop. So from dirty gossip it is now reduced to a riot of hundreds of girl fans squealing for a boy band. He took a deep calming breath. 

Well, as long as Sena’s name is cleared. 

All’s well that ends well. 

 

Several days later, Sena packed her bags to travel home along with Apple and April. Nicholas reluctantly sent her to the airport. She left happily ignoring the buzz on the web and the slew of reporters chasing after her tail. 

“Have you called your grandfathers?” Apple asked when they were on the private jet. 

“Yes. They will be coming to Beldane in a few days.” 

April on the other hand was on pins and needles. Finally, she is going to meet the boss’ family and come to her hometown. Although Sena told her to relax and take it as just another ordinary trip, she still felt nervous. 

“By the way, have you called Patricia?” 

Sena paused. “Not yet. I intend to surprise her.”

Apple’s eyes dimmed. He and Patricia were two closest friends to Paula but for some reason he never had gotten along with her. In terms of family and background, Patricia is far superior than him since her family were former aides to the Histonian imperial family. A great grandmother was a lady in waiting or something.  

“It’s best to call upon her after you have had enough rest.” 

Sena smiled and nodded. 

That following night, Nicholas sat alone in his pad missing the presence that was constantly there. In these months that have gotten together his evenings had never been the same since. Sena would come over as soon as she got home and they would spend time watching movies, play boardgames or just chat over coffee or tea on the balcony. Sometimes they would go out late and walk around the quayside, eat from stalls and sit over the bulwark watching the glittering cityscape across the bay. Without the little neighbor coming over to his pad, Nicholas felt so out of sorts.  

The next day in his office, he sat quietly watching the traffic several floors below. A phone in his hand debating whether or not to call her. It’s past eleven in the morning here and it’s about five in the morning at her place. Has she gotten off the plane safely or is she resting? He felt restless recalling the last time she went out of the country and they lost contact. 

Nicholas smiled self-deprecatingly. What on earth was he doing? He should stay away from negative thoughts but he can’t help it for some reason. It was as if her absence dulled out the environment and many things wanted to burrow into his head all of a sudden. 

He cared too much. And he resigned himself to that fact. 

Every crease on her face, every pout and sigh, he could tell by the tiniest hint whether she is happy or upset. If it were several years before and someone told him he would fall for a girl so bad he might just scoff it off. Not once did he ever consider putting all his attention to one person. Yet now here he is, and it wasn’t just his attention she occupied. She took his eyes, his soul and heart. 

Before he knew it, he found himself smiling but the smile soon faded when he remembered what she told him about her other life. Even until now he found it hard to imagine how she managed to survive that hellish situation. And he finds it hard to accept that he wasn’t there to help. Thinking of all the things she suffered made his chest ache. 

He looked at the business news on TV showing the declaration of bankruptcy of a famous clothing brand. Sena told him about this several months ago and now it came true. Although he fully believed her, it was still astonishing to witness evidence of it firsthand.   

But what about him? Where was he at that time?

Sena refused to say. All she told him was that they never crossed paths. 

He touched the amulet on his chest and fell into another whirlpool of thoughts. 

She had a few stories about Michael and Layla, what about him?

With his connection to the Saldini siblings, how could he entirely get involved with her?

On the other side of the globe on the other hand, dear Sena who was tired from the travels dreamed of her past. 

 

A roaring disco music. 

The shouts and the incessant sound of the patrol sirens. 

“Police, nobody moves! Put your hands up!”

“Everybody stand on the side. Quick!”

Sena found herself being pressed down the bar counter with an impatient officer barking orders at her. 

A beam of flashlight hit her face.

“Let her go.” A deep male voice snapped at the one manhandling her. 

“Captain, she’s one of the—”

“Our target is the bar owner. The civilians need to be questioned later. She is not resisting, there is no need to use force.” 

The police let herself go and left blustering. 

“Are you alright?” the captain asked. “I’m sorry about that.” 

Sena trembled in fright as she relieved the event of her arrest. It’s chaos and madness all over again. She just came here for a glass of cocktail, how did it become a drug raid all of a sudden? 

“Wh-What is going on?” She looked up at the officer only to find out that he was several inches taller and had his face hidden inside the helmet. 

“Just stay put. If you have nothing to be guilty about, it will be cleared out later.”

Sena shook her head like a rattle, “I, I didn’t know… can I call someone?”

The man turned silent for several seconds and she waited in silent trepidation hoping he nodded his head. 

“You may.” 

The scene changed bringing Sena to another memory she did not want to remember.  

“Erde? Is there a Sena Erde here among you?” The police called out impatiently.

Inside the damp musty cell, the blank-eyed girl mechanically raised her bruised hand up. “Here.”

“Get out, your patron is here to bail you out.” 

The thin and sunken eyed girl stood, dusted her coat and squeezed through several bodies of the other inmates. 

“Are you going out, little bitch? I heard someone came to take you?” The tall woman with missing front teeth sneered. “Oh, you’re not going to be missed. You’re coming back soon I promise.” 

“Must be good to be loaded. Didn’t you hear, she’s Sena Erde. Her dead mommy was filthy rich.”

The inmates laughed. “Daughter of a homewrecker. A trash daughter belongs to a trash mother. It’s all over the news, Crisanta Luz said so herself.” 

Sena paused and looked at the speaker quietly. 

“What are you glaring at?”

When the woman raised her fist to hit her, Sena kicked her first. 

“You can insult me but you cannot insult my mother!” She yelled. “Tell your master to buy better dogs next time.”  

As soon as she’s out the police showed obvious disdain. 

“Always making trouble.” He spat. “You’re a disgrace to your parents. If I were Albert Luz I’d lock you up after breaking your legs. What’s the use of keeping an illegitimate kid like you?” 

Sena ignored the man’s irritable ramblings. She had no energy to retort nor accommodate his temper. All she wanted was to get out of this place. She walked slowly to the lobby, finding a seat to rest her tired legs. 

She’s hungry, her hands hurt from all the blood tests and she needs a shower. She looked up the wall only to find a circular mirror showing her unkempt appearance. Neither beauty or manner of a respectable lady was left in that haggard face.  

“Oh, my dear Sena. What have you done to yourself?” A woman in a crisp yellow suit came.

“Patricia.” She greeted the woman almost in tears. “I, I’m quite alright.”

“Alright? Look at you?!”

Sena put a stop to her rambling and hastily asked, “Did you come to bail me out?”

“Ehm…” A complex look flashed inside Patricia’s eyes. “I’m sorry it took several days.” 

“It’s fine. Just get me out of here…”   

As soon as stepped out of the precinct, the man in jeans and black shirt came along with a lawyer. Sena had a brief glance of him. In the duration of her dream, and seeing it again with so much clarity, Sena’s breath caught on her throat. 

How could she forget about this?! She realized that the man who came was none other than Nicholas!

“What’s your relationship with the girl anyway?” The lawyer holding a briefcase asked goodnaturedly. 

Nicholas looked pensive. “She’s the little sister of a good friend.” 

The man nodded, “Is that really all?”

Nicholas did not reply.

“Her case might be a little tricky since she was tested positive.” His lawyer warned. 

“I know that is why I asked specifically for you. She needs help.”

“Haha you know I can’t say no to you. Rest assured I’ll handle this before you sail out.”  

Sena’s eyes stung. He was there… 

“Nikki!” She tried to stop walking and yelled his name but the force of the dream was too strong she was powerless against it. 

“Nikki!” She called again as a last struggle. “I’m here.” 

“Sena, what are you shouting about? Let’s hurry.” 

“I have someone I know. I’ll go meet him first.” 

Patricia grabbed her, “You have to be obedient, dear. This is not the place to make a scene.”

“No, Patricia, listen to me!”

Patricia’s grip on her hand turned tighter and tighter. 

“Come with me dear girl, we have plenty of things to talk about.” 

A pain sliced through her temple and the rest of the things she had forgotten came back to her in a wave: The woman in front of her did not come to help. 

Sena’s stomach lurched and she resisted with all her might.

“An alarming news reached me while I was in Histonia. It is said that you have gone absolutely uncontrollable. Isn’t it most unfortunate to hear that the granddaughter of the esteemed Lord Adelard Erde is an—”  

 

The dream ended there. 

“N-No, no… don’t touch me. Let go. No!” 

The heartbreaking scream broke out from the second floor alarming April and the servants.

“Sena!” April jumped from the dining room, climbed the long steps and rushed to her room. “Keys, hurry!” 

The butler tremblingly handed over the keys. April quickly opened the door, finding her little boss crying so sadly in her bed. 

“Sena?” April rushed to hug her. 

That morning, the whole house was quiet except for the occasional sobbing coming out from the missy’s room. 

 



5