Chapter 6 – A parent knows best
6.3k 33 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was something relaxing about not having anything to do. Not having to prepare for what would come next.

But being idle, as relaxing as it was, soon gave way to boredom.

That word, ‘Boredom’ was precisely how I would sum up my experience here.

There were ups and downs of course.

There were times I was in such a good mood that if I could, I would run around singing and dancing. Other times I would be delighted, simply staying in bed and sleeping the day away.

There were also times I wished I could be back home already. I hoped to hear the car speeding past my window, the sound of the TV in the living room down the stairs. The clickety-click of my fingers hitting the keyboard of my computer.

Ah! How I missed modern technology…

I was used to having 1001 ways to distract and entertain myself. Being bored for so long was a foreign feeling. I couldn’t get used to it no matter how long I stayed in this world.

Everything was just too quiet and small.

The mansion was gigantic but so many areas were restricted that I felt it was smaller than it truly was. And despite it being inhabited by hundreds of people, there were times when it was too silent for comfort. At night in particular, the glow of the moon shining through the curtains, unhindered by streetlamps, paired with the light buzzing of insects gave an eerie feeling. It was the same feeling you had when the music suddenly stopped in a horror movie. It was unnerving, like something could pounce on you at any moment.

It was almost like I was on a vacation in the depths of a European countryside. A vacation that lasted so long that I found myself wanting a vacation from the vacation.

As much as I enjoyed my alone time, I didn’t enjoy the boredom and unease that came with it. The days were long and repetitive. Especially in the last few days. My schedule has become much lighter. My lessons with Lady Corteza were getting shorter and shorter. I was still spending a lot of time with Lian but much less than before.

It probably meant I was getting better at whatever the Duchess wanted me to be good at. I did my best to be a good girl and a good student (most of the time at least). I learned all the arbitrary rules dictated by high society. I read historical and political essays and books about Prath, the other continents and countries that didn’t even exist anymore.  I worked harder in the last few month than I ever did in my whole life.

 I was touched that she appreciated my efforts enough to reward me with more free time. I misjudged her. Same goes for Lady Corteza. Just because they didn’t make the best first impression, I classified them as enemies when they were probably nice people who only wanted what was best for the other Hazel.

I didn’t get to confirm that about the Duchess, but after spending time --probably more than needed-- with Corteza, I discovered she wasn’t a bad person. She even had a sense of humor… if you interpreted her words in a certain way.

 

I rejoiced in my newfound freedom at first, but soon realized that I was limited to a few areas of the mansion and the boredom came back with a vengeance.

Hanging out with Haron was okay but it also felt like babysitting. I even grew tired of visiting the garden  and the library; one could only spend so much time talking walks and reading without eventually wanting to pluck all the flowers one by one or shred the pages of the books just to see if something interesting would happen.

**********

Tired of watching paint dry, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

The most entertaining thing I could think of at the moment was magic. I didn’t have much but I still had some and it was enough to draw my curiosity.

The last time I tried to used magic was at the Temple and it had been both painful and humiliating. It was time to overwrite that memory.

Often times, from my window, I noticed Haron practicing his magic with a guy who I could only assume was a magic teacher. At first, I expected to have one as well but nobody ever came and I didn’t dare to ask.

I felt a little salty though. Just because I was weak didn’t mean I couldn’t get better with practice. What’s with the double standard?

 No matter! I didn’t need that! I could still practice by myself. It couldn’t be that hard, right?

I just had to replicate what I did at the Temple but without the reflective crystal.

Stretching my hands in front of me, I concentrated really hard on picturing a small fire. Nothing happened. I didn’t even feel energy coursing through my body as I previously did. I tried again and again, repeating the succession of images that I pictured at the Temple. Still nothing.

Maybe I needed the reflective crystal for it to work. It didn’t make sense. I had seen Haron summon fire without holding anything in his hands. I should be able to do it with it.

Do I need to draw blood? That seemed highly inconvenient.

I still did though, it was worth a try. Using a sewing needle, I pricked my thumb, letting a small droplet form.

What do I do with that?

Unsure, I smudged the blood on all ten of my fingers, staining them red. Hopefully, spreading it would increase its efficiency.

I tried again without success. It was already hard to do with the reflective crystal but without it I had no idea what to do.

If I could just have a better look at Haron’s training sessions, maybe I could get it.

Actually, I would be easier if I could just join them on the training field. It would solve both my magic and boredom problems. The only issue was that I was prohibited from going to the training field. The Duke had been very clear about that when I tried to follow Haron there to get a closer look at the knights. I could just watch them from a window.

************

From where I was, I could see them fairly well. There were fewer of them than usual but they were still as boisterous as ever.

Their red and gold armor combined with the fiery dual swords engraved on their capes indicated their allegiance to the Vedar household.

It wasn’t my first time seeing them but every time I did, I was impressed by the display of magic and martial art combined in a very peculiar yet elegant fighting style, unlike anything I have ever seen.

Their armor didn’t look like the unpracticable iron mass I initially pictured. The gold shone and the red cloth looked pristine, as though it was new. Their vital points were protected but it allowed swift and quick movements.

They spoke animatedly and roared with laughter. Their camaraderie radiated in their every moves and interaction. They looked like they were having the time of their lives. I could hear theirs yells and laughter through my window. I was missing out on the fun because of some arbitrary rule that stated I couldn’t go train with them or just stay nearby.

I was so jealous it made me a little angry.

Why can’t I go as well?

It couldn’t be because I was a child since Haron was parading around like he owned the place, jumping around like an excited puppy. It couldn’t be because I was a girl either since there were plenty of female knights training as well.

So why just me?

Why am I the only one cooped up inside and forced to watch dust accumulate of surfaces?

I played the role of a good girl. I did everything I was told. So why the hell did it still feel like I was being punished for something I didn’t even know I did?

I was going to get answers.

Today.

There was no way I was spending one more day like that.

I would go crazy.

************

My feet led me through the mansion and in front of the Duke’s study.

I raised my hand to knock but hesitated a little bit. I knew he would be easier to deal with compared to his wife, but I was still a bit nervous.

Gathering my courage, I knocked three times and waited for an answer.

“What is it?” he called through the door.

“Dad, it is me, Hazel. Can I come in.”

“Come in.”

I tentatively opened the door and stepped into the Duke’s study.

It was my first time being here, so I took my time to look around. It was a spacious room, surrounded by bookshelves. There was a red velvet couch in the middle of the room as well as 2 armchairs and a small table. One of the high-rise widows was slightly ajar letting a small wind enter and cool down the heavy summer heat.

He got up from his desk and sat on one of the chairs before telling me to settle down on the couch in front of him. He then called his butler and ordered him to bring out tea and sweets.

“What did you want to discuss?”

I decided to approach the subject with the most convincing arguments.

“Dad, I have worked really hard in my lessons and I have almost mastered basic etiquette. So… I was wondering if maybe I could start learning about magic and--“

“No.”

Before I could even finish my sentence, he had already rejected my request.

I really didn’t get what he wanted from me. Shouldn’t he want me to get better? He and his wife were the ones that kept reminding me how great this family was. How talented its members had been for generations and generations. He should have been be happy that I was showing interest in improving. So why the hell was he refusing without even letting me finish?

WHY?

Without even trying to hold back, I exclaimed in frustration:

 “But I don’t understand! Why won’t you let me learn? I know Haron has lessons every week. I know I’m weak but I have magic too!”

“It has nothing to do with that.”

“Then why?” I whined.

“I advise you to calm yourself immediately.”

He narrowed his eyes, emphasizing the warning his words were implying.

That’s right! Getting angry wouldn’t get me anywhere. If I wanted to convince him I had to stay calm. I had to coax and cajole him so he would give me what I wanted.

Well that was the plan, but I couldn’t hold back the venom that leak out as I said:

“Do you plan on keeping me inside, caged like a bird, for the rest of my life?”

 “You are being unreasonable.”

I am being unreasonable? How? Where? When?

He was the one refusing a simple innocent request for absolutely no reason!

Deep breaths. Deep breath. Keep your eyes on the prize Hazel, don’t let him bait you.

“I know for a fact that it is customary for every Noble to at least receive some magic training as soon as they have awakened. It has been months since mine has been confirmed and I have yet to see any instructor. I cannot help but think of your refusal as an unfair treatment.”

“You are too young for that.”

 “I am the same age as Haron!”

“Stop arguing with me. You will do as I say, and I say you will not learn magic for the moment.”

That was exactly what parents said when they had no valid argument to weigh to the table. He obviously didn’t want to discuss this further and his body language showed as much. His arms were crossed, in a somewhat defensive stance, and he was now facing the door, away from me.

I could let this go… for now.

“*Sigh* fine! I will do as you say”

I yielded. This part of the negotiations was clearly over for today. I felt like insisting further would only anger him and close him up to any future talks.

“Can I at least learn how to wield a sword?”

“I thought the discussion was over. Did you not just agree to do as I say?”

“I was referring to magic.” I countered, frowning at his childishness. “Now we are talking about swords. No magic involved there.”

“The answer is the same. No.”

“But why???”

I whined, my patience getting thinner and thinner at his unwillingness to obey to reason.

“It is dangerous.”

You know what is more dangerous? Me dying of boredom. It could happen. It will.

“The last time you set foot on the training court, you almost died. I will not let you repeat that event.”

Was that his reason for barring me from that area? Because he was worried about me dying again?

Looking at him now, I could barely remember my first impression of him, when I still found him intimidating and scary. The man in front of had become a familiar, even comforting part of my daily life. Him worrying for my well-being always gave me hope for a better future in this place.

But not today. Today, him worrying and being overprotective was annoying.

Not that I didn’t understand his worries. I did. I really did.

But I wasn’t going to let them get in the way. I was a new and improved person now. I could handle being a little roughed up.

“I just want to learn how to protect myself and be strong like you dad.”

Flattery was always the best policy.

“There is no need for you to concern yourself with such trivial things. You have guards that would lay their lives down just to make sure you are kept safe. On top of that, my duty as your father is to protect you, and so will your brother.”

“What if I get lost in the woods, without any guard and you and Haron are not there to protect me?”

“That would never happen.”

“But what if?”

“You should not dwell on such an unlikely scenario. It would never happen.”

Of course it would never happen! I couldn’t even set foot outside.

Talking to him felt like talking to a wall. He countered every point I brought up without even giving them the slightest consideration.

“Dad, you are being unreasonable.”

I repeated his exact words, which seemed to amuse him.

He wasn’t taking this seriously.

“Am I now?”

“Yes! You are!”

“How so?”

“You have not listened to my arguments and yet you have already made up your mind. How is that fair?”

“I have listened to them. They were anything but convincing hence my refusal.”

“When have I stated any argument? You cut me off before I could even explain my thought process.”

“You asked me what would happen if you were to be in the woods without an escort.”

“That was just an example. But something like that could happen. I could get lost and have to fend for myself against bandits or monsters. I could get kidnapped--“

“I would cut off the limbs and burn alive anyone who would dare attempt such a thing.”

Um… Okay? That was a little too violent for a conversation that, despite being a little infuriating, was mostly lighthearted only a second ago.

 “Dad! Daddy! I am bored. Apart from studying, I have nothing to do. I cannot just spend my days counting the birds flying past my window, can I?”

“Should I schedule more hours with Professor Groff?”

“No no no no! it's fine! it's fine.”

“What about embroidery? You used to be quite fond of it.”

“I do not like it anymore. It is boring.”

And also, I sucked at it. I never got the points right and ended up stitching my fingers instead. According to Corteza, I was a lost cause.

Before he could raise another objection, I continued my plea with a pitiful voice:

“Please Daddy.”

He seemed to hesitate a bit. I used this opportunity to deliver the finishing blow.

“I promise to be extra careful.”

I could see he was thinking about it which was a good sign.

“Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaa--.”

“Fine.”

He finally conceded after a long sigh.

“Really?”

“I still believe a sword would be too dangerous for you. You will have to start with archery and if you do well, I will allow you to try another weapon. But if you are wounded. Even the tiniest cut. It will be the end of it.”

He was still being unreasonable but for now it was better to just shut up and take this victory.

 “Oh my god, thank you so much!”

I threw my hands around his neck and kissed him on the cheek. He welcomed my sudden bout of affection with a small smile.

As I began detaching myself from his shoulder, he cupped my cheek with his hand and started stroking it gently. He looked pensive, almost melancholy.

“What am I going to do with you? You resemble your mother more and more.”

If it was a compliment it wasn’t a good one.

I just started considering that she might not be as bad as I first thought but I wasn’t ready to like her and much less be like her.

 


 

“It is just baffling to me! Why is it so impossible for you to keep a decent posture? You have had months upon months to meet the requirements. It's just so confusing to me."

When the Duchess had summoned me to the reception room, I was hoping for a pleasant conversation with tea on the side.

But instead of getting to the point and telling me the reason why the called me here, she kept criticizing everything I did. From the way I sat to the way I held my cup, nothing seemed to be satisfactory for her.

"With the time and gold spent to perfect your education, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how you can be so disappointing."

Can I get a break?

I retract anything nice I thought about you, you harpy!

“Did you want to tell me something?”

“Of course I do or else we would not be here. I certainly have better things to do”

She replied as though it was obvious and I was an idiot for asking.

I forced the small smile on my face to stay put, aptly following Corteza’s instructions.

“Even when someone angers you, you should not show them that they got to you. Many have lost face because they failed to manage their reactions.”

Smile through irritation wasn’t something I usually did. I was more of a ‘yell now, think later’ kind of girl, so I was the first surprised at the level of self-control I displayed in front of the Duchess.

She put down her cup and lifted her cold gaze to me. The atmosphere in the room was anything but welcoming and our stare-off was anything but friendly.

Despite the deceptively gentle smile on my face and the lack of emotion on hers, you could feel animosity radiating from both of us. The tension was thick enough to cut with a knife.

“In a fortnight a reception will be held to celebrate your upcoming birthday. It will also be an opportunity to announce your awakening and for you to better familiarize yourself with the nobles of the South before your debut in high society.”

She then motioned to a maid standing in a corner of the room to approach. The maid in question brought with her a stack of documents that she placed on the table, right in front of me.

“what is it?”

“The guestlist. I expect you to memorize every single one of them by the end of the week. The second week you will assist me as I supervise the preparations for the reception.”

There were dozens of them, it was impossible to remember all this information in such little time.

“That’s impossible! It’s too much!”

“Is your memory still defective? If not, it should not be that hard.”

She didn’t even wait for me to answer her question before making her own conclusions. Talking to this woman was useless. She kept making demands and expecting me to fulfill them without asking for my opinion.

Honestly, I was already tired of being here. If we could just get this over with I would be overjoyed.

I took a look at the first paper on top of the pile. It was a detailed sketch of a woman under which you could read a name and a description.

I tried reading the name out loud.

“Lady… Menaget?”

“That old hag is taking her sweet time to die!”

She exclaimed with a grimace of disgust, startling me and the maid.  It was the most expressive I had ever seen her.

Noticing the effects of her outburst, she cleared her throat and continued:

“Once again we are forced to bear with her presence. It would be improper not to invite her but you should try your best to avoid her. If you must speak with her keep it short and polite.”

The woman drawn on the paper didn’t look that old. Maybe around her early thirties.

“Anyway, do not forget that your actions reflect on me and the household. As such you should be nothing if not the image of perfection.”

She gave me a critical once-over and continued:

“Lady Corteza told me you have improved but seeing you now, it seems she gave you too much credit. You still have a long way to go before your etiquette can be called remotely decent.”

Slightly offended I couldn’t help but want to defend myself from the unfair slander.

“I would beg to differ. I think I am doing pretty well.”

For someone who started learning only a few months ago, I was doing a pretty good job.

I was blending in fairly well language-wise too (most of the time at least). After all, I had read Pride & Prejudice once or twice and seen the movie at least ten times.

Everything else, the curtsying, the posture and other unnecessary rules, hadn’t yet become a second nature and the movements were still foreign and unnatural to me but I had learned in a few months what people spent years trying to master here. It helped that I wasn’t really 8 years-old but my achievement was still commendable. Even Corteza thought so.

I waited for a scoff or a reprimand but heard only the silent. The Duchess was immobile, expressionless. It didn’t change much from her usual state but the atmosphere around her seemed heavier, almost murderous.

’Pretty well’ is not enough.” She finally said in a low menacing voice.

“Mediocrity is not something you should aim for. Mediocrity is for others.”

Okay?

She sounded a little cray-cray, so I decided judiciously to shut up for once lest she unleashed her anger directly on my face.

As she kept speaking, the liquid in her cup started boiling, rapidly evaporating. Her hand was shaking, but she showed no sign of putting down the hot cup. It didn’t even look like it was hurting her hand in any way.

She looked positively deranged. Her cold gaze, now hard and threatening wasn’t on me. It was almost as though she was staring right through me, in a trance.

 “How do you manage to be such a disappointment when the Vedar blood courses through your veins?” She roared.

At the same time as she spoke those words, her cup shattered in pieces, cutting her palm. Still she didn’t let go, clenching her fist and worsening her wound.

I really wanted to leave now. I didn’t know what to expect from her and I didn’t plan on staying to find out what she would do next.

Though… If I were to be completely honest with myself, I’d have to admit that she scared the shit out of me.

Most of the time, she looked at me like I was a pesky, revolting piece of gum stuck on the sole of her shoe. But this time was different, she had seemed ready to bite my head off if I uttered even the littlest of sounds.

As if finally registering the pain in her hand, she detached her hard gaze from me focusing it on the mess she made. She opened her clenched hand and shook it, letting the remnants of her teacup fall on the table and droplets of blood dribble down her wrist.

Not a sound could be heard in the room. Even the maid, who should have tended to the Duchess’ injuries by now, stayed immobile, seemingly scared of making a sound or even breathing too loudly.

I was scared too.

Startling me further, she suddenly rose up from her chair.

“I hope you will show me something better than ‘pretty well’ in a fortnight. For your own good.”

With her hand still bleeding, she then left the room, not without uttering one last order to the maid.

“You. Clean this up.”

As soon as she left, I let out the breath that I didn’t even know I was holding

I let out a strangled scream of both relief and fright.

“Oh my fucking god! What was that? That cup could have been my head.”

As the maid came to gather the glass splinters, I turned to her and asked:

“She threatened me, right? I didn’t imagine that. You heard it too, right?”

Without waiting for her to respond, I went back to panicking about the fate that awaited me if I didn’t do as the Duchess said.

I definitely didn’t want to be on her bad side. Unlike the Duke, she was unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

 

Now scared shitless by her not-so-veiled threat, I decided to get started on my reading assignment.

But after reading only 15 of them, my brain was already tired. I had no idea how I was supposed to memorize all these names in just 4 days.

I had never been less excited to celebrate my birthday.

Considering that it meant I would spent more time with Maeve psycho-lady-who-threatens-children Vedar, my lack of enthusiasm was understandable.

 

 

Here is chapter 6!!Hope you'll enjoy it.

Maeve has to be my favorite character to write for the moment. She is actually the first character that I came up with (even before Hazel).

I love how you're making predictions and asking questions in the comments, and sometimes I'm itching to give you the answers you're asking for but I would spoil you too much about was is to come.

Next chapter is obviously the birthday. It will be published next week (probably).

************

I also wanted to thank you for the love my story received since I have published the first chapter. It encourages me to try and write the best novel my current skill can create.

It's my first story and at first, its only purpose was to improve my English. Now I really want to create something good and interesting.

Bisous ^3^

138