41: Time only rushes faster.
38 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Friday Mirage played. Saturday morning Kiri worked and Mirage practiced. Ryuske complemented Rin and Hikaru on their improvement and said he was pleased by everyone's extended stamina. Since they knew they were opening the competition, they'd chosen two songs to concentrate on and their performance had at last achieved a smooth flow.

--

Saturday afternoon Kiri was off and they started out with a delightful hour in bed. Afterward Hikaru lay beside him and looked at Kiri uncertainly.

"What?" he asked and ran his fingers over her hip making her shiver.

"Kiri," she said, "I've been thinking about it all week. I don't want to be a burden, and I don't want to be expensive," she hesitated and he watched her calmly. "But I don't really care how I'm dressed as long as it doesn't show anything embarrassing, "she finished.

He looked at her with surprise. "OK?" he said uncertainly, not sure what she was trying to communicate.

"Risa is designing me a dress, but it won't be done for weeks. How do you want me to dress for our date on Tuesday? Do you still want to dress me up?" she asked.

Wryly he said, "I do. I want to dress you in something long, silky and shimmering."

She looked at him and pointed out, "I don't have anything like that."

He shrugged and said, "That's why I wish I could take you shopping."

"OK," she replied.

He stared at her for a moment. "Really?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied. She looked at him uncertainly.

He looked at her expression and said, "I don't want to make you uncomfortable or make you feel like you're being expensive, but I would love to dress you up."

"OK," she replied, and headed for the bath.

Kiri looked after her uncertainly then followed.

--

They took the bus downtown. "I have all afternoon," Kiri said when Hikaru asked, "And you're more comfortable this way."

They walked hip to hip, Kiri's arm around her waist. He led her to a very expensive shop and Hikaru looked at him dubiously.

He grinned at her and said, "Only if you're really willing?"

She shrugged, and he guided her inside.

The assistants asked what they were looking for, Hikaru expected Kiri to answer and so a few moments passed in silence. Kiri looked at her and raised his brows.

Hikaru blushed and said, "Um, something with long sleeves and a high neckline that covers at least to the knees?"

The assistants gazed at her dubiously but the shorter one rallied and guided her around to a few possibilities. She also ducked into the back and brought out a few more options. "Most of these will need alterations to fit you well," she cautioned.

Just as they were entering the fitting room, a long silky shimmer of color caught her eye, and Hikaru scooped up the dress and carried it in with them.

The assistant looked at it askance and said, "That one doesn't meet all your requirements?"

Hikaru replied uncomfortably, "I guess I should show you, I think it will cover most of them."

The assistant regarded her with confusion until Hikaru removed her top. "Oh," she said faintly, looking at the scars. She had Hikaru try on the one that had caught her eye first.

From the front room they heard the bell and then a woman's voice, "Kiri! Darling, I haven't seen you in ages!"

Kiri replied more quietly, "Siena." And after a pause he said, "Don't."

The woman said, "Ah, I get it, you're here with a new woman. Of course you would be." She sighed audibly.

Kiri must have made some acknowledgement, because she confessed, "That's too bad, sometimes I miss dating you."

Kiri said firmly, "Don't Siena."

Hikaru stood frozen but the assistant fussed around her with pins and whispered, "Don't worry, you'll look fantastic when you go out."

Kiri continued quietly and a little coolly, "I'm not interested in dating you again."

Hikaru blinked and looked in the mirror. She did look rather fantastic. The dress was long, but slit almost all the way up the right side. The silky fabric shimmered a little in the light, and the color had been what made Hikaru pick it up. It ran from teal to peacock blue to black in a smooth wave marked with a black petal design. The top had long sleeves, but sections of it were cut away along the design pattern and filled with black gauze. She frowned at the places where her scars showed through a little. 

The attendant commented, "You're so lucky to have small breasts." Since she was currently pinning up loose material in that area, Hikaru regarded her dubiously. "You don't even need a bra to wear this," the attendant explained enviously.

Hikaru supposed that was fortunate, as any of her bras would show through the gauze sections even more than her scars. She was hesitant about following the attendant out, but did so after taking a deep breath.

Kiri stood when she came out and said, "Wow, we are getting that one."

Hikaru laughed and replied, "I haven't even tried on any of the others."

Kiri said agreeably, "You can get more than one if you like."

"Kiri!" she protested, and he grinned at her.

The small voluptuous woman who was looking at a dress the second assistant was showing her looked at Hikaru and said caustically, "You may look beautiful while he's playing with you, but when he's done you'll have to go back to being yourself."

Hikaru glanced down at the dress and said, "I guess it really suits me then."

Kiri gaped at the woman in surprise. "I didn't just play with you Siena, and you broke up with me and it hasn't changed your appearance at all," he protested after a moment. He looked at Hikaru apologetically, stepped over to her and hugged her. Then he introduced them to each other. "Kotaro Siena, we dated about two years ago. Hitoshi Hikaru, my fiancé."

Hikaru glanced at him.

Siena exclaimed, "No way!" She looked down at Hikaru's hands and said, "You're lying, there's no ring."

Kiri laughed and replied, "You're just looking in the wrong place."

Siena stared at him blankly.

Kiri looked at Hikaru and blushed when he met her gaze.

Hikaru said quietly, "It's OK Kiri." Then she added, "This dress looks pretty good, I guess, but it shows through a little around the top."

He gave her a look. "No one will ever notice, and you are freaking gorgeous," he told her softly. 

Then he asked the assistant how long until it could be ready. They were told about half an hour to have the adjustments finished.

Siena said, "Good, you can help me choose something while you wait. I've missed having your advice."

Kiri frowned at her. She dimpled back at him. Hikaru watched uncertainly.

Kiri looked at Hikaru and asked, "What do you want to do? I won't help her if you don't want to. Should we go somewhere while it's done?"

Hikaru reached out and touched his earring. "We can wait if you want," she said.

Kiri caught her hand and kissed it. "OK," he said with a relieved grin.

Hikaru followed the assistant back into the dressing room and pulled on her own clothes. The assistant didn't fuss about having her try on the others. She did ask, "Should we add a touch of padding?"

When Hikaru looked at her dubiously, she explained, "Just a little, it will reduce the amount we'll have to take out and give a smoother outline since you're not wearing a bra with it?"

"OK," Hikaru agreed.

The dress was carried into the back for alterations and Hikaru rejoined Kiri. "Only the one then?" he teased.

She nodded.

They sat on the chairs and held hands while they waited. Kiri's ex, Siena was apparently serious about having Kiri pick something for her and tried on a half dozen things, modeling each one to them.

Hikaru ventured, looking at the latest choice, "Do you have to try so hard? You're really beautiful, so do you have to avoid everything more conservative?"

Siena frowned at her and said, "I don't want to look conservative."

Kiri said dryly, "But you don't need to look like you're about to fall out of your clothes. You didn't used to choose things quite so, um, so dramatic?"

Siena frowned at them and the next outfit she showed them was less flamboyant.

Kiri nodded appreciatively and Hikaru shot him a glance. He shrugged at her. She leaned in and gave him a quick kiss.

Siena looked at them and said, "I guess it was true, ha. Congratulations."

Hikaru looked from her to Kiri who grinned at her and she blushed.

Finally Siena found an outfit that made Kiri say, "Get that one." Hikaru silently agreed and gave Kiri another look. 

The alterations on Hikaru's new dress were finished and she put it on to make sure of the fit. She showed Kiri and he said, "Keep it on, please." 

She put on her shoes, collected her things and looked down at her grey sandals ruefully.

Kiri simply paid for it and led her down the street into a shoe store.

After Hikaru tried on several styles she tried on a pair of simple black, barely there, sandals. "These are surprisingly comfortable," she said, and then looked at their price tag and added, "Of course."

Kiri glanced at her and grinned. "We'll get those then," he told her.

"Kiri," she protested.

He picked up the box and her grey sandals and said, "You have no idea how many fun dates are ruined by uncomfortable shoes."

Hikaru looked down at her feet and sighed. "OK," she gave in.

He looked at her and raised his brows questioningly at her easy submission.

She shrugged, "They barely show, they'll go with practically anything."

He grinned and leaned in to kiss her.

Then they took the bus home and Kiri cooked while Hikaru worked on her weekend homework. She somehow finished it all and Kiri dropped her off at Ryuske's for Mirage's Saturday night gig, on his way to an evening recording session he was overseeing.

--

Sunday Kiri made time to have brunch with Hikaru's family, but then was away overnight. Hikaru tossed restlessly that night, surprised at how used to sleeping in his arms or cuddled against his warmth she'd become.

2