31: The bitter end.
46 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Children's services came to speak with Hikaru in the middle of morning classes. She went white, and asked anxiously, "What happened?" 

The administrative assistant who'd come to fetch her could only say she didn't know.

When Hikaru entered the room where the agents waited, she demanded, "What happened to my mother?"

The two children's services agents looked at her and each other blankly. Finally one asked, "Why do you think we're here about your mother, we haven't spoken with your mother yet?"

Hikaru gave them a blank look in return and said uncertainly, "My brother, he said that when my father died, children's services came to his school."

The agents apologized and assured her that as far as they knew, her mother was fine.

"You can't think of any other reason for our visit?" one of them asked. 

Hikaru shook her head. Then paused and asked, "Because my mother's husband hit me once? Maybe? But I can't imagine you coming here just for that."

The agent who'd asked gave her a considering look. 

The other agent snapped, "Takeshi Kiri has been arrested and is being held for having sexual relations with you. We're here to talk to you about it."

Hikaru stared open mouthed for a moment, and then she got angry. There was only one person who kept accusing her of having sex with Kiri. She ignored the agents, pulled out her phone and dialed her mother.

"Hello?" Miri answered.

"I'm moving out!" Hikaru snapped.

"Hikaru, I'm on my way to the hospital right now, what's going on?" Miri asked.

Hikaru paled again and asked, "To the hospital, why?"

"It's just a checkup, what's going on?" her mother demanded.

"Your husband has had Kiri arrested," Hikaru replied icily. "I'm moving out, if I don't, I'll kill him eventually."

"Hikaru!" Miri protested.

"I'll probably need you to sign some paperwork later, right now I'm going to leave school and see what needs to be done to get Kiri cleared," she said, and ended the call.

"You can't do that," said the first agent.

The other nodded in agreement.

"Like hell I can't," Hikaru snapped.

"We need to talk to you about how he persuaded you to have sex with him, or if it was unwillingly, because rape has different penalties," the second agent explained as though speaking to a very slow person.

The first agent gave her partner an exasperated look and said, "It's our job to find out what happened to you and protect you from future abuse."

Hikaru stared at them incredulously. "We haven't had sex yet," she replied angrily.

The agents looked at each other again. Then the first one said, "Lying to protect your lover will only hurt both of you in the long run."

Hikaru glared at them briefly, then ignored them as they tried to coax her into cooperating. She thought furiously for a few moments, then suddenly stood and left the room.

She went to the nurse's office. The agents had been slow to follow and lost her in the halls. Agitated, Hikaru explained to the nurse that she needed proof that she was still a virgin.

The school nurse said helplessly, "There's no way I can help with that, you'd need a full.. um, feminine exam."

Hikaru did a quick search on her phone and called the clinic she usually attended. "I need an emergency appointment," she said into the phone, "not a medical emergency, but a paperwork emergency, to deal with sexual assault charges." The office agreed to see her right away and Hikaru left the room. 

She visited the restroom and changed into the light pair of pants she kept at school for emergencies. She'd considered putting on the stage clothes she'd brought instead, but had left them for later. 

The agents were waiting at the gate though. "You can't leave like this," the agents protested.

Hikaru wished the guard would have told them not to loiter. "Watch me," Hikaru snapped. "It's not like you don't know where I'm headed, after I visit the clinic for the necessary documentation, I'll be heading to the police station."

"You don't even know which station," pointed out the first agent.

"I'm sure it's the one my mother's husband is at," Hikaru replied bitterly.

As she wasn't wrong, neither agent denied it. The second one tried to grab her arm as she exited the school grounds, but the first one stopped her partner thoughtfully.

--

Hikaru went straight to the clinic, and submitted to the unpleasant but apparently necessary examination. 

The doctor performing the examination said "I don't see anything but the clean surgical incision from your implant."

Hikaru nodded and told the doctor, "We haven't had sex yet, but my mother's new husband keeps insisting I'm lying, and had my boyfriend arrested." She added, "This is so humiliating."

When the doctor looked at her apologetically she said, "Not the exam, but having to have the exam to prove it."

The doctor wrote up her report right away and Hikaru asked the office staff to make her a couple of copies as well. Then she went to the police station Izumi was working at. 

--

She checked in with the front desk, then walked up to Izumi's desk and slapped a copy of the report onto it. "You really are a fucking bastard," she said almost calmly. "You should just drop the charges now." she advised firmly.

Izumi stared at her and then rather smugly said, "I can't, I didn't file any charges. I just reported what I know to children's services."

Hikaru looked at him coldly and said, "You don't know anything, because you never listen to a thing I tell you." She pointed to the report and said, "That's proof that I was still a virgin at 10:45 this morning. Not that it should matter."

Izumi stared at the report uncertainly. Then he snapped, "I don't know how you got a doctor to support your claim, but you're lying!"

Hikaru lost her temper and yelled, "You have never even asked if I were still a virgin or how many guys I've dated. I've never lied to you even once! I have bent over backward to accommodate you, to make you comfortable in my home, and I'm done! I'm so fucking through with you and your stupid ideas! I'm moving out, because if I try to live with you for another day, I think I may try to beat the crap out of you!"

Izumi glared at her. "Why aren't you in your school uniform? Where were you?" he demanded after a moment.

A couple of people walked up to the next desk over, but Hikaru just looked at Izumi as though he'd lost his mind. "Because I'm not an idiot," she practically growled at him, "and I didn't want to waste time being asked why I'm not in school! It's none of your business what I do or don't do!" 

Izumi replied angrily, "It is my business to keep you safe, and you're going to get pregnant carrying on like this!"

Hikaru snapped, "Unlike you I'm not a moron who doesn't understand how to use birth control when the time comes." Hikaru added more quietly, and more viciously, "And keep your creepy dirty mind off of my sex life. It's none of your damn business."

Izumi stared at her open mouthed.

And during the pause a tiny woman who'd come up beside Hikaru said, "I'm Takeshi-san's lawyer, causing a scene at the station won't help him."

Hikaru stared at her and asked, "You're a lawyer?" But before the woman could reply, Hikaru blushed and apologized, "I'm so sorry, I should know better than to question based on appearances."

The lawyer waved her apology away and said wryly, "I'm used to it."

Hikaru handed her the copy of the doctor's report and asked, "Will this help?"

The lawyer flipped through it and nodded. "Yes, very much, though it may not clear everything."

Hikaru grimaced and asked, "What would clear everything?"

The two children's services agents arrived then, and Hikaru immediately handed them the other copy she carried. She was so angry with Izumi, but she also understood that these were people who had the power to get Kiri out of trouble. She hoped that she hadn't ruined anything by ditching them at the school.

The lawyer said consideringly, "Permission from your parents would help. But I understand the charges were initiated by your father."

Hikaru glared at Izumi and said stiffly, "He's not my father, he's my mother's new husband, they've only been married for four months. I already have my mother's approval. If she writes it out will it suffice?"

The first agent having flipped through the report looked up at this last and said, "What do you mean you have your mother's approval?"

Hikaru blushed and replied, "I already spoke with her about intending to, um, to have sex with Kiri soon."

The lawyer said firmly, "It would be better for him if you don't until you're 18, or if you at least have a legal contract in place first."

Hikaru stared at her and asked, "There are legal contracts for that?"

The lawyer laughed and replied, "Of course. The most common is marriage. There are also some prenuptial agreements."

"I thought those just said how things get divided if you get divorced?"

The lawyer replied, "Typically, but they can also be written up as trial marriages, basically."

"Could you write one up like that for us?" Hikaru asked with surprise.

"Hey," protested the second children's services agent and Izumi in unison.

The lawyer nodded to Hikaru and replied seriously, "Yes, but I'm not certain it would fall under approved company time expenditure."

Hikaru thought for a moment and asked, "You just mean I might have to pay for it?"

The lawyer nodded.

Hikaru said resolutely, "Please do then."

Kiri's lawyer smiled at her, agreed, and withdrew.

4