[Book 1] [23. A massacre]
1.3k 0 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duke’s strange look concerned me, but I kneeled before him without a second thought. You never oppose the Duke. I had learned it the hard way last time, and I sure wasn’t about to repeat it now. His sword emerged from its scabbard with a metallic hiss, its pointed tip now directed towards me.

“You disobeyed our order and went ahead with our secret weapon. That’s not the behavior of a soldier! Soldier needs to obey the orders of their superiors and heed every decision, even if they think it is wrong. Is that understood?”

“Yes sir,” I said and lowered my head. Damn, what a good run it was! As the Duke’s sword inched closer to my neck from the right side, I held my breath. Although, I still rock the main quest in my pocket and after respawn I’ll walk by foot. It will take a few days, but… Whatever.

“Only the noble commanders can express their concerns. So I offer you the title of Baronetess; vassal of the Empire. Do you accept?” No way. I raised my head and met his warm smile. How… how was this possible?

It didn’t matter. Noble title was something you needed to grab and hold. “I do, my liege,” I said and closed my eyes again. Familiar blue light blinded the entire crew of the ship, and a cold metallic object materialized on my finger. A beautiful signet silver ring with a snowflake insignia.

Hey! Why it was a snowflake? I wanted to have the most beautiful coat of arms, but the system used the existing one? Was it a bug, or a feature? Sadly, I could only sigh and examined the flood of system notices.

[You received a reward for be: the first to defeat ‘World Boss’]
[Your title is now: baronetess (Empire)]
[Congratulations, you own a fief! Your path as noble can continue.]
[East Fortification has been set as a primary fief.]
[East Fortification has reached the rank of fortified position, the further development has been unlocked.]

What an unexpected boon. The time it took Lucas to rank up the fortress was remarkable! Perhaps he used some exploits? My heart and stomach fluttered with an indescribable feeling, and I couldn't help but smile.

Istvan's piercing gaze made me feel like I was facing death ten times over. He might kill me with his bare hands. Take that, my old friend. 

 

After a while, the raging storm slowly settled, and the last fights died down. An uncomfortable silence fell on us, the adrenalin clouding our pains faded away, and our grief for fallen soldiers and friends settled in. A smug smile played on my lips as I took it in. First battle, huh, young soldiers?

The Duke examined the result of the battle and he visible shivered at the loss of his people as I came near to him, and asked in an amused voice, “Is there anything I can do for you as a reward, Baronetess Princess?”

Yeah, it sounds stupid; I agree. What if I get that title? Will they call me Princess Princess?

“Thank you, my liege. When I met Master Teorn in the village, he entrusted me with a quest. With rumors of strange happenings on the Island of Dead swirling around, he sent me out to investigate. For that I need means of transportation - a sailboat.” Unexpected politeness in my voice surprised even me. They used to call me rude knight because I didn’t know how to behave with nobles. Look at me now, Lucy!

“You say there are problems? Maybe it relates to my aunt, Queen Irwen? She’s resting there, sealed in her tomb, for hundreds of years.” Anxious, Duke twirled a strand of his short hair before rushing to the edge of the ship to gaze into the distance.

I walked toward him, but I didn’t know how to comfort someone like him. “It might, my lord. Was she fighting in the rebellion on royalist’s side?”

Was I supposed to touch him, as I saw some people at the bar doing it with friends? Or maybe punch him in his shoulder and laugh like Lucas used to? Even my combined lives left me in a fog, because human contact is my mortal weakness.

“Yes, I fought on the wrong side, but the loss was inevitable; humans were stronger than us. It has been three centuries, but if is someone trying to awake her, it would explain the stirred floaters,” his voice trembled as he relived his painful memory.

I leaned on a railing and gazed with him into the distance. “I’ll investigate it with my knight, my liege; the incidents may be unrelated.”

“You do that. We need to recuperate and regroup on the shore; we’ll await you there. Take the ship you sailed with,” he said, and the resoluteness in his voice returned. 

When I came back to my ship, I found Don alive and well, sleeping. Although the crew suffered a big hit, plus the damage to the ship was extensive, the sailors were professionals and cheered for me, and the captain welcomed me with a big grin. I waved at him and nimbly avoided his bear hug.

“I saw as you slew that monstrosity, you were as magnificent as the heroes from legends. You're a noble now, right? Should I bow?” He didn’t wait for any conformation and bowed almost to the ground.

The laughter echoed from all around, and I felt something I hadn’t ever before. Some kind of feeling near my heart, some kind of belonging, a bond I shared with sailors I fought with. Nonsense, I fought with armies the most dangerous dragons and felt nothing like this! Why now?

“Captain, I don’t want to spoil the mood, but I have orders.” 

Dismissing my answer with a wave of his big hand, he said, “I know. You have an important mission on the island that everyone stays clear of. Hear me, you lazy bastards! We are sailing with a princess here. Be gentle as you can and show some respect! A hero needs her ship to sail smoothly!”

39