26 An Unlikely Request V2 [13]
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“To think that Fujiwara knew a thing about basketball…” Takumi reflected on their match. After making it to his car, he waited for Hanami and Minami. Unknown to him, the girls stopped to get some ice cream from a robotic vendor, as it was far too hot in the evening sun to leave without some. The giant marshmallow-looking vendor gave them both two large scoops that they happily accepted. Minami opened her fanny pack and handed the vendor her card. It took the holo-coins from it and they were well on their way.

 

“We’ve got a place to be and she stops for ice cream… cursed Hasegawa,” Takumi scoffed, shaking his head. “That girl acts so sweet sometimes yet… she’s the worst.” His stomach soon grumbled. 

 

“And she didn’t bother gettin’ me any after making me wait…” 

 

Seeing Takumi, Hanami became startled. She just remembered: Minami had feelings for Takumi. “Ah, that’s him! Takumi is my cousin’s fiance, so he drives me back to her! Seems he’s here to pick us up! Hehehe…!”

 

“Really? That’s great news!” Minami smiled, waving over to Takumi, who squinted.  

 

“Who the hell is that? She seems familiar,” Takumi thought. 

 

“Oh noooooo! Takumi’s gonna ruin this for me!” Hanami screamed in her head. 

 

“Hmmm, the flavors… is that mango?” Takumi’s stomach grumbled, as he saw them getting closer to the car from the rear-view mirror. He sniffed faintly, picking up on the tempting scent. 

 

The two made their way over to the side of the car as Hanami cheerfully announced, “Let’s get a move on! I’m all ready!” and slid over, grabbing Takumi by the ear as she quickly whispered, “You’re my cousin’s fiance! Play along!” 

 

“The fu-”

 

She stepped back out, as Takumi instantly focused on the ice cream in her hand. “Eat those outside first, not inside my car,” they heard Takumi abruptly say from the driver’s seat. Minami obediently did so, blushing as she caught sight of him glancing her way from the rear-view mirror. 

 

“Hey! We won’t spill any inside. We’re not babies, you know!” Hanami tried tugging on the handle to no avail. “Takumi, open up!” As soon as he saw her approaching his window, he rolled it up so she wouldn’t be able to reach inside. 

 

“If I can’t have any ice cream in my car, no one can. I’m not driving until you finish, so get to it,” he responded, after lowering the window just enough for his voice to get through. Considering how important the car was to him, Hanami didn’t press him any further on it and angrily ate the rest of her ice cream while going over to Minami.

 

Takumi watched some other school kids pass the car. The fact that one of the students had his arm locked around one of the girls, reminded Takumi of Yoshigawa, who hadn’t shown up for school. “Hmm, Shima. I wonder how he’s dealing with it…” 

 

Takumi tugged his fanny pack from the passenger seat and searched it for his phone. He checked it, only to find that there weren’t any new messages from Yoshigawa. “He read it… but didn’t respond.”

 

Takumi gave in to the urge to call his friend. The phone rang three times over, going to the automated message system that kept repeating Yoshi’s voice message every time. “Sorry if I missed your call, leave a message!”

 

Takumi squinted, placing his phone between his lap and poked his head out of the window. “Out of all the flavors, you chose that one. No wonder you can’t finish, it’s a disgusting flavor.” 

 

“Yeah? Whatever. I like cherry. It’s great for the brain. I’m trying to savor it, I'll have you know! Thank goodness I didn’t bring you any; you’d only complain!”

“It would be a terrible flavor… anything from you.”

 

“But I guess your brain could use it,” he thought to himself. Letting out a slight cough, he added, “You should have gotten mango like your friend.” Takumi sunk his cheek up against his palm. “At least she has good taste.” Takumi smirked, causing Hanami to be surprised by him seemingly complimenting Minami. 

 

Minami half smiled, recalling a memory of her sitting with a boy having ice cream as a child. Funnily enough, it was the boy who extended his ice cream to her as they sat at a dock. “You want some?” Minami offered him some, but he turned her down with a simple “No.” After they finally finished and entered, the car pulled through the private school’s front gate. 

 

The acceleration of the car made both Hanami and Minami grab onto each other. “SLOW DOWN, PSYCHO! Please…” Hanami shouted over Minami’s thrilled scream. 

 

“A little speed isn’t bad. We have places to be.”

 

“I don’t mind at all!” Minami agreed, making Hanami feel some type of way, but she brushed it aside. 

 

“Remember, we’re going to Minami…” Hanami informed him, before looking at Minami, leading the two to laugh at the coincidence. Takumi sped off for the location as gusts of air filled the car until he closed the windows. Takumi lowered a mirror down so that the setting sunlight wouldn’t shine in his eyes any further. 

 

“Wait… why is she here?” he asked, referring to Minami. 

 

Minami pointed to herself as Hanami answered, “We’re gonna stop at Minami’s restaurant, since we’re going to be passing through her district. Ahhh, I want water after having all that ice cream.”

“Are you serious…?” Takumi’s eyebrow twitched. 

 

“Not to be rude, but I’m no cab driver.” 

 

“You’re a real pain, you know that?”

 

“Keep driving!”

 

“Don’t tell me what to do. You’re not the one driving.” 

 

“THAT’S WHY YOU HAVE TO DRIVE, TAKUMI!”

 

Minami laughed, listening to the two bickering. Five minutes later, Hanami finally convinced him into dropping Minami off. Not that she said anything persuasive; he just wanted her to shut up. Personally, he didn’t dislike Minami, but he had his daily basketball drills to do and he wanted to get the factory ordeal over with… but before that, he had a client to visit. He kept this to himself as the girls chattered amongst themselves.

 

Takumi sped off, landing down on the yellow grid road that’d lead them straight down to the lower districts. The stars reflected in the skies now. “How breathtaking…” Hanami said, lost in the night sky’s beauty. Down below, the thousands of city lights shined across the skyline adding to the spectacle. Minami herself recorded a video, shifting the camera angle from the glowing forcefield road, to Takumi and over to Hanami.

 

“Put your seat belts on,” Takumi instructed the two. Minami hurriedly tried to grab onto her and the two squealed as Takumi accelerated, descending straight down like a shooting star. They bumped around in the back seats as the car boomed through, landing on the road that led into the ground level city of Osaka. This blue forcefield road descended from the clouds until they reached the bottom road pavement. In the distance, the glimmering ocean became visible.

 

“Woah, look at that! Are those diamonds in the ocean?!”

“It sure looks that way with the moonlight reflecting on it. It’s really cool during the night time here. Oh, look over there! That’s the Nishio sea port. I heard a movie is going to be shot there real soon. I think they’re hiring amateurs as background characters or something like that,” Minami recalled. 

 

“Really?”

 

“It’s a rumor. I do know that Starboy Crusader’s Whimsical Adventures was shot there, or at least a scene from it.”

 

“I loved that show! It broadcasts new episodes every Saturday on Hokkaido TV!” Hanami reflected on her days watching cartoons on a small television in the tower she was briefly in. That created more conversation between them. They talked about a new aquatic show rumored to be in the making near the very oceanside they passed. 

 

“Hey! We can video chat those episodes then! There’s three seasons to binge watch!” 

 

Hanami giggled in agreement. “Sure we can. I’ll let you know though, since I won’t be going straight to the place I’m staying at. I have to visit a woman with Takumi.”

 

“You idiot! Don’t tell her that!” Takumi interjected.

 

“Hey! Keep quiet, idiot! There’s no harm in her knowing. She’s my friend and you’re just my cousin’s fiance.”

 

“Even so, it’s none of her business.”

 

What Takumi said slightly hurt Minami’s feelings, but she smiled at both of them. “It’s okay, I understand. Umm… you two should stay a bit while I open up the restaurant. I don’t think there’ll be too much activity this first night, but I’d be honored if my first customers were you two.” 

“There’s really n-” Takumi was about to speak, but Hanami cut him off, fully agreeing with Minami. “Sure, we’d love to be your first customers!”

 

“Sweet! Like satay sauce!” 

 

“Ooooh, where is that from?”

 

“It’s an Indonesian thing. That’s one of the few special dishes I’m adding a twist to.” Minami winked. They continued talking about implementations to the menu, as Takumi tried not to listen, not wanting to feel hungrier. They drove through streets brightened with vibrant personalities. Soon after, Takumi pulled into the sidewalk at Minami’s signal. “Thanks for driving me home.”

 

“Mhm… that’s right, get outta my car.” Takumi made sure to murmur the less pleasant part of his response, as he watched Minami get out of the car. Hanami unclipped her seatbelt with the intention of following Minami, but Takumi grabbed her sleeve before she could get out. “Where do you think you’re going?”   

 

“I already told you before, I’m really thirsty and I don’t want to go with a dry mouth,” she scoffed, yanking her arm from him. “Minami, the front of your place looks great!” 

 

She caught up to Minami, who finished unlocking the front door relatively fast as she thought to herself, “Get him something to eat! Can’t miss this chance!”  

 

With a sigh, Takumi said aloud, “Hurry up,” while looking at all the drunken people and children in the area. Just as he said that, an old man glanced over to his car, concerning Takumi. 

 

“Is that a mazda Cforbe?” 

 

“F*cking hell,” Takumi grumbled.

A total of ten minutes went by with her not coming out; Takumi grew impatient, having started counting after five minutes of waiting. “What could they possibly be doing in there?” Instead of getting out of the car, he honked several times, prompting her to come out. “HEY, CAN YOU KEEP IT DOWN?! MINAMI’S SHOWING ME SOMETHING IN HERE!”

 

“Tch… stupid b*tch.” Takumi slid right out of his car, walked to Hanami, and yanked her arm up, causing her to slightly flinch. “You drank your water, we’re not here to hang out.” 

 

She nearly spilled her bottle of water, and quickly demanded “Let go!”, to which Takumi flicked her arm aside.

 

A sweet aroma suddenly caught Takumi’s attention. His sole weakness. “Could it be? Honeybuns?” Takumi watched in anticipation as Minami came out with a tray of toasted cinnamon rolls coated with honey that oozed all over the plate.

 

“Sorry, Haruna helped me prepare these. I thought maybe your ride would be a long one, so… I had to make something to show my appreciation.” She faintly blushed, holding the tray out for Takumi to take. 

 

Against his impulsive desire to snatch and devour the tray, Takumi replied, holding back his drool. “I see. Then, by all means, I accept your gift. Only one though…” After taking one off of the tray, he gulped it down in a single swoop, prompting him to reach for another. “Wow, at least she’s good for something,” he thought to himself.

 

Hanami watched the whole exchange, with fumes flowing out of her ears. “Does she even remember that he’s my fiance?” she thought to herself, awkwardly giggling. “Wait… I didn’t tell her.” 

 

“Um…” Hanami rubbed the back of her head. “I guess it’s time for us to get going, eh Tak?” She glared at Takumi, who continued to stuff the rolls into his mouth, completely disregarding their presence. “Ehhhh, Takumi!” She said louder. “TAKUMI, YOU ANIMAL!” she shouted, grabbing onto his ear, effectively snapping Takumi back. 

 

“Are they good?” Minami asked him, already giddy because the answer was obvious.

 

“They are very good, mhm. This is godly.”

 

“I’ll make some more for you another time!” 

 

“Sure! I am absolutely looking forward to that,” Takumi happily replied. 

 

Hanami watched the exchange as Takumi asked, “Can I use your restroom?” Minami led him in, as she blankly stared off. Takumi went inside to wash the sticky honey from his hand while Minami stayed outside and squirmed, taking Haruna’s hands. 

 

“He actually liked my cooking! SCORE! SCORE! SCORE! Phase one worked!”

 

“I think he’d like anyone’s rolls regardless of who cooks them,” Hanami thought to herself, but supportively agreed as Minami pulled her into a hug. Takumi soon came out, and walked by both of them. At his car, he reached into the side passenger seat and yanked out a bag, before heading back in again.

 

“What is he doing now?” Hanami wondered. Her question was soon answered once Takumi came back out, dressed in his Ikigai uniform with a hat that had a silver “H” emblem at the center. She watched the moonlight reflect along the silver emblem of the Hachi. 

 

“You look del- very good in that!” Minami carefully complimented him. 

 

“Ah.” Takumi didn’t pay much attention to what she said, as he headed for the car.

 

  • Insert Hanami changing into her night time school clothes for the client meeting - 

“I guess… he doesn’t remember?” Minami sighed with an uneasy laugh as Hanami waved it off, giggling. 

 

“Remember?” she wondered as Minami murmured, “Right now, I can’t tell him. I thought he’d remember if I had him try those honey rolls…” 

 

“No, no! Don’t pay mind to that guy, he’s in his own world. Speaking of which, I guess it’s time to get that visit over with. After all, in order to come back, you have to leave first.“

 

“ Yeah you’re right, remember to shoot me a text when you get back “ Minami took Haruna’s hands in hers as some customers passed by, headed to the front of the restaurant. 

 

“ Is this place open? “ Asked one, to which Haruna and Minami both said “Yeah,“ and looked at each other and laughed, as Haruna walked towards Takumi’s car.

“Good luck and have fun, you guys!”, Minami exclaimed. Haruna nodded with a soft smile and joined Takumi back in the hover car. The two got back on the road, driving out of Osaka’s city and into the countryside. They found themselves on a dark country road. It got dark to the point that Haruna couldn’t see the fields and instead, turned on the light inside of the car. She took that time to work on some of the assignments Ms.Tsu had given the class. Her holo-pad glowed across her face, on the ridge, displaying it had 49%  percent of life left.  

 

“Are we there yet?” Haruna asked after finishing up the questionnaire. “Still four minutes away” Takumi mumbled back as the hovercar flew up the long stretched hill. Takumi switched on the second set of headlights to brighten the road farther. The eerie ambience around the forest they drove through grew stronger. 

 

 The whole ride there, they hadn’t encountered a single car once. Haruna found it strange that someone would live so far out. “Then again, if this person owns a factory, surely she’s rich. Still can’t we do this tomorrow? All the creepy stuff mostly happens in the night time “ She thought to herself as the car stopped in front of a rusty gate. “ Spoke too soon .. “  Haruna squinted, hearing the door slam shut. Takumi pointed at her from the window, then pointed to the old gate. “ Come out here and help, squirt” 

 

The headlights continued to beam against the gates, in the distance, she could have sworn she saw a shadow move through, though she told herself it was most likely a tree branches shadow or even a wild raccoon. 

 

“ Hasegawa “ 

 

Takumi called to her a second time, this time Haruna heard, sliding out. “ No complaining! I have to get this done! “ Haruna willed herself, shutting the door. 

 

“ You aren’t scared are you? “ Takumi asked her with a faint smirk.

 

“ Me? Never! Don’t kid yourself, what makes you think that? I’m one tough Kendoka“ Haruna said outwardly but in her mind internally cried. “Who am I kidding?! This place is terrifying!” 

 

 “But… I can’t let him know that” 

 

Takumi widened his eyes, purposely looking past Haruna’s shoulder. “ Ghost fish...” is all he had to say for her to freak out and run back to the car as Takumi chuckled lowly, trying to hold it in until he exploded in laughter. He went over to a tree disappearing for a second as she heard his hysterical laughter. 

 

 Haruna soon noticed there wasn’t any ghost fish. Completely embarrassed by how she fell for what he said, she ran back to him as he forced himself to become composed and Haruna jabbed her elbow into his gut.

 

“ Okay, okay .. that’s enough “ 

 

“ Enough?! You nearly gave me a heart attack! “ Tears swelled in her eyes, to which Takumi sighed.  “What a child...“ He mumbled, grasping onto the gate’s top. “ Come on “

 

“ Do it again and you’ll become a ghost here, I’m warning you now “ She waved her finger, blushing faintly and placed her hands on the other half of the gate. 

 

At Takumi’s nod, Haruna pressed her small hand up against the rusting gate. It’s creak grew into screeching, the bottom scraping against the ground. The two tugged the gate all the way back until it couldn’t go back any further. As soon as she let go, Haruna realized she had pressed her palm against a spider web and freaked out, waving her hands over her head as Takumi once more, hid his urge to laugh behind his smirk. “This… b*tch” He struggled to lower his smirk. He walked over to her and swatted the web off of her head to her surprise. 

 

Without saying a word, he returned to the car. Her attempt at thanking Takumi didn’t come out in time. Haruna simply followed back to the car, where she noticed there was moss all over her hands, particularly between her fingers.  “ ewwww, now thisss ” It had gotten on her when she pushed the gates back. 

 

 “ Wait outside of the car, don’t touch it with those dirty hands “ Takumi ordered, sliding off the dirty latex gloves he had put on before he had touched the gates.

 

“ HEY! YOU HAD THOSE AND DIDN’T OFFER ME ANY! Just how insensitive can you be?! One second you’re nice and then you remind me of how much of a- “ Haruna stomped her foot down. “ I only had one pair, and since it is mine, I believe I have the right to use it for myself,” Takumi half heartedly responded. 

 

“ You could have been gentleman like! “ She responded, offended. 

 

“As you could be ladylike, but you aren’t. I mean, come on...you're crying over gloves.” 

 

“ I’m not crying over gloves.. “

 

 He leaned into the car in search of wipes and after finding them, tossed her some wet wipes over the car. “Here you go, entitled crybaby.” Haruna caught them and used them to get the musk off her fingers, all the while giving him a death glare that Takumi completely ignored. “I’m not entitled” 

 

“Let’s go,” he muttered. 

 

With the gates now open, Takumi revved up the engine and passed through cautiously. “The area up ahead is darker,” Haruna whispered, glancing back to the entrance through the back window. 

 

Soon, this changed as they passed through the darkened area and saw arches of grassy land,  with a three story house up ahead. “ That’s a barrier that activates late night. It captures Shiki’s, sort of like what a flame does to moths” Takumi explained to her. Haruna silently registered this new bit of information. 

 

“ Shimmies?”

 

“ No … Shiki’s “  Takumi said under his breath, scoping the place with caution. 

 

 Oddly enough, as they got closer to the house, a truck came into view. There were boxes and other furniture nearby, but .. “ Chisake’s Family Move“ Takumi thought, reading the label sprawled across the truck. “Where are the movers?” He scanned the perimeter and spotted two individuals at the front door, knocking very slowly.

 

 “ They must be moving in still, those must be the helpers up ahead,  “ Haruna commented as Takumi swerved the hover car over onto the grassy field. “ Pretty spacious, I wonder what she’s going to do with all of this land  “ 

 

Haruna got out of the car, while Takumi found a spot to park. She gasped at the visibility of the moon. The moonlight brightened the whole area from the house, stretching all the way over to the darkened treelines miles away. Takumi parked it and grabbed the folder containing the necessary documents. He then got out setting, the pair their attention to the house again. 

 

 A gust of wind passed the two, who went straight over to the front porch of the home. Takumi slid the folder comfortably between his elbow and hip, reminding Haruna to let him do the talking unless he became insensitive. “ Sure, that’s a smart idea. I can be just as helpful so let me do some of the talking kay? Taka Baka “ She retaliated purposely saying a name that’d irk Takumi, picking up her pace. 

 

“ There she goes again... “ Takumi grunted internally. “ Don’t get in my way, I‘m warning you too“ He responded, but Haruna already ran on ahead, after sticking her tongue out at him childishly. She sprinted to the steps and called out to the men who were in front of the door.

 

“ Hi there! Is anyone inside? How long have you been waiting out here? “ She asked, with no response. The two simply continued to bang on the door slowly, then looked back with horrified expressions on their faces. 


“ STAY BACK! “ One pleaded, falling over, against the door with a thud. “ D-DON’T HURT ME  PLEASE! “ Screamed the other one. Haruna got off of the step, baffled by their behavior. “ Hurt you? Why on earth would I do that? “ She raised her hands up in an attempt to prove it. “ I’m not going to hurt you .. um “ Haruna raised her hands up confused.

 

 Just then one of the two ran to the steps and lunged up, coming down to strike Haruna, who jumped out of the way, with Takumi now picking up his pace when he saw the second one moving in to attack her as well.

 

 “Sorry! Why are you chasing me now?!” She shouted. 

 

 Haruna jumped off of the step she was on and lead the two to the grassy field, where Takumi cut in and blocked the second one from going after Haruna while Haruna quickly slid in and flipped the man that followed her, pinning him down against the dirt floor. “Thank you body for moving on your own!” She shouted in her head. 

 

 Once on the ground, Takumi handled the other and after staring into his eye, knew what was up. Takumi’s dark purple eyes ignited into a bright purple flame as he said “ Cleanse “ breaking the Gando zone that the man found himself in. The worker passed out, no longer struggling under Takumi’s grip. 

 

“ They fell into someone’s Gando Zone “ He explained to Haruna, kneeling down beside the other. “Cleanse,” he said again, causing the second man to drift asleep.

 

“ A Gando what? “  Haruna repeated what he said as she glanced over to the front porch and saw someone staring at them from behind curtains. The curtains quickly shook over. 

 

“ A Gando zone is what both Shiki’s and Setsu’s can use on other beings to trap them in a space they control. Some take your soul to another space that the user of the Gando Zone controls. Those two were placed there, which means…” While Haruna ran over to the front porch, Takumi glared out to the open field. “There has to be someone in the area watching ..”

 

Haruna flew up the steps and banged on the door a few times. “ Open up, we were sent to see Ms.Sango”

 

“ Miss Miyumi Cordelia sent us “ Haruna added. 

 

 The doorknob rattled, followed by the door swinging back. “Thank goodness!“ A girl about Haruna’s age responded, sighing in relief. Haruna took in the girls appearance: she had on a Hirazawa uniform  and even had a matching pink fish pin. “ Eh?” Is all Haruna could say.

 

Takumi walked up the steps with the two men on his shoulders. Glancing down, the girl’s expression became a shocked one. “ Takumi? What are you doing here? “ 

 

“ Himari? “ Takumi questioned back.

 

“You two know each other?“ Haruna stood between the two, surprised.

 

“She’s from my class” Takumi gave Haruna a bland response, stepping in. 

 

“You-Your class?!“

 “They mean- Ah that’s right … their super smart class” Haruna thought aloud. 

 

 “Not that it concerns me or anything, but what’s with that look on her face?!“  Haruna internally screamed, watching a blush creep further along Himari’s cheeks. 

 

“ I’m here to speak to Sango Ginko, that’s your mother right? “ He stood in front of Himari, who looked up at him and gave him a shy nod. 

 

“ What do you want with my mother? “ She asked out of curiosity. 

 

“ That’s business between her and me.“ Takumi placed the two men down against the wall in the hallway with Himari giving him a concerned look, remembering their erratic behavior just moments ago. “ Don’t worry, they’re unconscious. “ Takumi assured her.

 

“ Fill us in on what happened here“

 

Takumi leaned back up, after making sure the two were resting on each other.

 

“ They were completely fine before. I can’t really say .. “ Himari tried to remember. “ We even served them tea. It was when they were finishing up outside, that things got weird. “ 

 

“ I saw them acting irregularly outside of the house, punching at the air. Before they had a chance to get in through the front I shut the door and they kept erratically switching from asking for a  ‘contract’ to begging  to be let in” Himari thought back to the twenty minutes prior to Takumi and Haruna arriving. 

 

“ There wasn’t much we could do. My mother told me to wait for help to arrive, I’m glad you two showed up. We haven’t connected the tower yet so we weren’t able to call for help “ She glanced down to her feet and then back up to Takumi, unable to stare up at him for long. Himari resorted to fiddling with her fingers.

 

“ I’m really surprised you’re here, this is embarrassing... I haven’t even changed out of my school clothes“ She sneaked glances at Takumi, only for Haruna to cut in between them, completely freaking out. “So this house is haunted?! “ 

 

 Takumi shook his head. “ No, the house isn’t haunted, Like I said before, they were under a Gando zone .. “ Takumi brought his attention to Himari.

  

“ and you said, they were after a contract? “ In his head, he pieced together what he knew so far.“ Two men who were under a Gando zone, basically walked up,  demanding a contract. Those men were acting normal before and suddenly got spasms. And considering the odd vibe coming from the woods, I’m certain we’re being watched “ Takumi zoned back in.

 

“ Thank goodness they’re here “ They all heard a new voice and saw someone approaching. A woman stopped beside Himari and seemed nearly identical to her, except that she was taller. 

 

“ I’m Sango Ginko, you two must be the ones miss Cordelia sent, yes? “

 

“ Yeah, we are. I’m Haruna and this is Taka Baka “ Haruna bowed, respectfully as did Sango. 

 

“Quit calling me that already, it’s f***ing getting old“ Takumi telepathically told Haruna. 

 

Cutting to the chase, Takumi brought his attention back to Sango. “ You’re being targeted.  There’s someone after a contract? ”

 

“ Contract for my father’s factory .. yes “ Himari looked up to her mother with a glint of curiosity in her eyes. “ Grandfather? “ She thought in her head and watched her mother turn away. 

 

“  I’ll explain inside, follow me. “ Sango led Takumi and Haruna to the living room. Himari followed close behind. “ So that’s why she had us move here. As usual, she didn’t bother telling me. It’s not fair. I’m always left in the dark.. She never talks about father or any relatives .. but now she is to … Takumi? I wonder what this is all about “ Himari glanced down to her mother’s tightened hand. It remained that way as she slid open the door that led into the living room. 

 

Himari looked at her mother’s back, recalling a time when she was seven.

 

As she walked past a mirror, she screamed “ Mommy! Come see! I made you a drawing!“ 

 

A younger Sango lifted up the child. Her mother's face went from a brimming smile to a saddened  one. In the drawing, the child had drawn only her and her mother, while the rest of the page was filled with the child's attempts at drawing her father.

 

“ That’s really good sweetie “ She heard her mother say, placing her back down. The sound of her voice didn’t seem thrilled at all. The child could tell. She wanted to spend more time with her mother but she always hurried her off to get changed each day. Only for a few minutes, did she get to talk to her mother. It was always when her mother woke her up and the time during which she prepared breakfast for her. 

 

 That memory served as one out of others that added to her curiosity. Never once, did her mother tell her anything significant about herself or their family. It was always only the child and different nannies. 

 

On one such day, little Himari paused her piano playing and looked up to the maid. “Do you know what a family is?” The maid replied, “Sure. It’s basically a father, mother and their children. It takes a father and a mother to make kids after all,” the maid smiled, but quickly coughed realizing what she had said. 

 

 That revelation ended up getting the nanny fired, as did every other nanny that her mother found out, answered Himari’s questions. Every nanny her mother hired henceforth was told to not answer any of the child's questions, affecting the child. 

 

 Up until high school, Himari didn’t go to any school with other children. The only place she’d go to with others were her piano practices, where none of the children generally talked to one another, since they were all deaf but loved the vibrations that came from each tap on the pianos. 

 

 Himari didn’t know sign language, so communicating with them was out of the question. As she matured, she gained more questions. “ Why mother? Why have you done all of that?“ Alongside the questions that went unanswered, her mother even went to the extent of keeping her isolated. There was no way of getting such answers, for even the web browsers were locked.

 

The biggest questions for Himari right now became, “Why did she place me in a private school suddenly? What’s with all of this freedom all of a sudden? Why the big move to Osaka? Why now, all of these things out of nowhere?” These questions circled in her head as she watched her mother guide Takumi and Haruna.  

 

“What’s all of this about?“

 

 

Himari followed them into the living room where Sango moved some boxes away from the couch area.

 

“  Sorry for the mess. Please make yourselves at home, sit down. We’ve been moving everything in today “ 

 

“ It’s fine, thank you for the hospitality! It’s totally understandable, I know the hassle of moving in abruptly“ Haruna slid right onto the couch, tugging Takumi down. “ I recently moved to Osaka too “ Haruna informed Sango.

 

“ Oh really? All alone? Are you enjoying yourself? “

 

“ Not really, I’m stuck with this guy and it’s not pleasant at all even when we have a large-“ She lightly pinched Takumi’s forearm, prompting him to flinch.

 

“ S-Stuck with him? “ Himari thought without saying anything outright. She stared at Haruna’s hair and her expression. Haruna felt Himari’s stare and awkwardly met it as she asked if she could help Himari with anything and Himari responded with a “ N-No.. sorry, I’m just surprised I didn’t notice you at school. You’re really pretty “

 

“ Teheh, aww thanks. Yeah, I’m in class D-2 .. it can get pretty crazy in there“ 

 

 “W-Wait! Your name! It got announced at the ceremony!” Haruna then recalled Himari’s name appearing. 

 

“ What’s that supposed to mean .. “ Takumi thought to himself referring to the comment about her being stuck with him. He reluctantly slid down beside Haruna. He found the couch itself uncomfortable, but didn’t voice his dissatisfaction. Himari took a seat beside her mother and glanced to the folder Takumi placed on the coffee table.

 

“ The documents are here. You’re both legally moving from the Ginko’s region over here. If you want us to take your case, you’ll have to sign through. Judging from the two possessed, it’s clear there are enemies lurking around and they aren’t human, so the fee will be much higher if you want us to protect you as you help us cleanse that factory.“ Sango gave him a nod as Haruna darted a glare at Takumi.

 

“ We’re charging her? “

 

“ No, Miyumi is. “

 

“ I thought we did this for free! What the heck! “ She stood up, only for Takumi to yank her back down. “We should be doing this out of duty, not money “

 

“ Doesn’t work that way, monkey face.“ The two stared at each other.

 

“ It’s okay, I can pay “ Sango reached out and took the folder. She flipped it and Takumi kept staring at Haruna as he brought out a pen and flicked the back.

 

“ You’re not going to eat me with those eyes “ She puffed up one of her cheeks. 

 

“ Not like you’re appetizing anyway, you’d give anyone indigestion “ He broke the glare he had on Haruna, now handing Sango the pen. 

 

“  Cleanse a factory? “ What Takumi said echoed in Himari’s head. Sango glanced at Himari from the corner of her eye and before doing anything else, tapped her daughters shoulder, startling Himari slightly.  

 

“ huh? “ Himari looked up at Sango. 

 

“ Hima, why don’t you go prepare your classmates some tea? We’ll surely be here a while “

 

“ No, it’s fine “ Takumi responded with Haruna pinching his cheek. He gently swatted her hand away. 

 

“ Get those grubby little hands off me! “

 

“ They’re not grubby! “ Haruna whispered, jabbing her elbow into his gut.

 

“ Will you have some? “ 

 

“ Sure, I’d love some! I’m not one to rudely turn away hospitality! “ Haruna bowed. 

 

“ Oh, spare me … “ Takumi thought to himself as Sango waved to her daughter. 

 

“  Perfect, make some for her and me “ 

 

Himari obediently gave her mother a nod and rose from the couch. “ Would you like Oolong tea or lime? “

 

“ Oolong is okay teheh, thanks “

 

“ and you, the usual “ Himari already knew what her mother wanted. Though she didn’t want to leave the living room, she had no choice. 

 

“She’s definitely gonna hide things from me again…” Himari thought to herself. 

 

 “Grandfather’s … factory?” 

 

Himari shot a glance at the contract, which her mother swiftly scooped up into her arms again. Excusing herself, Himari left them to their chat.

 

After waiting well over ten seconds, the coast seemed to be clear enough for them to begin. Takumi found it weird but didn’t say anything outright. 

 

Sango fixed up her composure and started signing off papers.

 

“ Um, are you not going  to read them?  “ Haruna asked her a bit concerned.

 

“ I can trust you, no?  “ Sango asked with a faint giggle. While she did this, Takumi mentioned “ I did my own research last night ….. But I wanted to confirm something. A rumor on your father. Phil Dredger “

 

Sango’s heart throbbed. A pain constricted her chest. Haruna watched as Sango’s expression shifted to one of heartache and sorrow.

 

“ In all honesty … I’d prefer not to bring him up .. “ Sango began. 

 

“ Um…. don’t force yourself, Takumi you shouldn’t bring up personal affairs“ Haruna said softly, worried for Sango. 

 

“No, it’s fine. I must collaborate and tell you whatever you must know of the factory,“ Sango took a deep breath, thinking through where she could start and settled with “My father was often very busy. It was only ever me and my adopted brother.“

 

“Is that all? What does that have to do with it’s closure? I heard the place was being shut down for other reasons“  Takumi studied her shoulders, shifting his sights to her hands that now moved around.

 

Takumi brought out his mini-holo pad to document what she told them.

 

“I .. don’t really know where to begin“ Sango tried to think of two faces but quickly repressed them, as a shiver went down her spine.

 

“While you think that over, I’ll have you know that what you end up seeing later tonight is not to be shared. You must keep it all a secret or risk termination.“ His threats didn’t make the pressure on Sango any easier. Haruna fully let Takumi know this, by glomping him over the head with a hard whack to the back of his head.

 

“ DON’T JUST SAY THAT! THAT’S NOT HELPING AT ALL! “ Haruna’s shout added to the mild headache Takumi now had.

 

“ Your voice is really annoying, you know that? “ He growled lowly.

 

“ Annoying? I find your insensitivity really annoying, think before you speak! Have compassion for her! “ Haruna pressed her hand up against Takumi’s mouth and smiled  over at Sango.

 

“ Sorry about him again, I understand it may be hard, focus on telling us about that past, I’ll make sure that this all turns out okay! “ Haruna let go of Takumi and went straight to Sango’s side. She scooped up Sango’s hands, reassuringly. “That’s a promise“ 

 

 “ Well …. As you know, I’m the current owner of Fillies. “ 

 

“The previous owner of the Factory was my father, before he killed himself…” Haruna’s gasp, almost made Takumi laugh. He only feigned a brief smile. He internally repressed it, maintaining his professional composure. 

 

“He did  it because of a scandal …. I left the factory untouched for many years after his passing. Though buyers appeared, I never sold it and the value only went up. I didn’t want anything to do with the factory and so I eventually sold it to my grandfather. I abandoned it for years until recently purchasing it back, thanks to my grandfather.“

 

“ What made you buy it? “

 

“ I can’t really explain .. it’s like something's calling me to it.  I felt after all these years, much thinking, that it’d be proper for me to continue my father's business and find  closure. As soon as I got back my rights to it, a man that goes by Mr.Burke, began contacting me. My grandfather warned me, he’s of a rivaling corporation that is opposing his in the food industry.“

 

“ His motives aren’t entirely clear as to why he’d want the old place but I’d  rather help my grandfather than that sketchy man “

 

“ He’s been hounding me and I believe he’s responsible for the disappearance of the construction workers I hired. As I told Miss Miyumi, they hadn’t contacted me in well over a week and his messages became more menacing“

 

“This is a bigger case than we initially anticipated. Looks like you’ll have to pay more...“ Takumi cut in.

 

“ There you go agai- “ Haruna was about to go at it with Takumi again but Sango  stopped her.  “It’s okay, I understand. I certainly can “ 

 

“ From the looks of things, that businessman really did hire some help to get what he wants. Most likely Strays, but that’s already a breach with the Tensei, I’ll have to learn of what region he is .. Hmph, they’ll get in big trouble too since they illegally trespassed into our regions.”

 

“Either way, it’ll be an addition thirtyfive thousand holo coins as the starting fee for handling the Strays that are outside “

 

“ Hey! Wait a min- “

 

“I’m giving her the prices, keep your mouth shut squirt. Plus, forty thousand for cleansing that factory of yours. Per pack, that is.“ Takumi shoved one of the pillows up against Haruna’s face as he stood up and headed over to the hallways with the intention of going outside. 

 

“ I’ll show you not to shove pillows at me! Hang on, Where are you going? “ Haruna chucked the pillow at Takumi, who slapped it mid-air and announced, 

“There are three unwelcome guests on Sango’s property, making their way across the field. She’s paying, so I’m slaying.“

 

“Keep Sango and Himari safe in here,” Takumi said as he adjusted his gloves and walked out.


Meanwhile, Himari remained hidden behind the corner that led to the living room, from the kitchen. She got the tea and arrived right when her mother spoke about her unknown grandfather. 

 

She couldn’t believe all that she heard. “ My other grandfather, killed himself? “ She couldn’t have heard right, she told herself, stepping out of her hiding spot. Her hands felt frail, she dropped the tea she had, ignoring the hot water that hit the side of her leg. 

 

Her mother glanced over to her, surprised. Sango was surprised by the bright red burn mark, but the look on Himari’s face told her that she was focused on something else, something that infuriated her. 

 

“ You heard? “ Sango asked her in a worried tone. Himari’s silence frightened her for it meant that she truly had. 

 

“ Is that what you’ve hidden from me? How could you keep such a thing from me .. like I’m a nobody-“ Himari worked up the courage, her question was followed by Haruna moving in between them, but Himari slapped Haruna’s hand away. “ You butt out! She’s not your mother! “ 

 

Haruna acted indifferently as if it didn’t happen as Sango cut in, grabbing her daughter’s shoulder. 

 

“ How about my father! What are you keeping about him?! Do I have siblings I don’t know about? Another grandmother?! “ 

 

Sango grew uneasy, prompting Haruna to urge her to relax but she wouldn’t have that. 

 

 “ You disobeyed me! “

 

“ I had to! You never tell me anything. I don’t have any memories of them, it isn’t fair! “

 

“ Tell me! “ Himari stared her mother down with an unwavering resolve to get to the bottom of what she was keeping from her. It disgusted her, the woman that was supposed to be an example, seemed so weak at that moment. Sango wouldn’t look Himari in the eyes. She only mumbled “ All I’ve ever done is protect you, all I’ve wanted .. “ 

 

In frustration,  Himari jerked her arm from her mothers hold and as a result Himari stumbled back, nearly knocking stacked boxes aside. “ Protect me from what? That’s what I want to know, please tell me! “ 

 

Haruna had to get the situation under control, pushing herself between the two “If your mother’s keeping something from you, it’s for a reason. Now is not the time for this, she’ll tell you when she’s ready“ 

 

“ She never is! “ Himari shouted at her as Sango backed away. Their argument died down. 

 

All of a sudden, a big surprise presented itself. One that Himari and Sango caught on to. Haruna turned her head to the windows, having picked up on the menacing foul presence of three. 

 

Worried, Haruna cut straight to the window. She opened the folds slightly to peek outside, far across the field, she managed to make up the silhouettes of three. One very large bulky being, the other two were around the same height. 

 

“ You two, stay inside, I’ll go out and help Takumi “ 

 

Sango and Himari gave Haruna a nod, watching her storm out of the living room for the entrance, but Haruna stopped right at the door frame. She saw Takumi adjusting one of his Ikigai gloves properly. The metallic plate glistened.

 

“ None of these pests shall pass, so you just stay put “ He told her, with chilling empty eyes that pierced across the hall straight onto Haruna. It was the first time she’d seen him that way. Something was different about him. Eyes that demanded obedience, she felt almost compelled to refuse but chose to let him do as he wanted for the time being. 

 

Takumi silently reached for the door handle and swung the door open. The bottom of his Ikigai uniform flapped back. 

The three intruders looked at eachother, as they saw Takumi nonchalantly crossing the grassy land, with a look that expressed his disinterest mixed with anger.  

 

They stopped in their tracks. “That’s a Setsu up ahead” Aviner observed the vibrations that came from the house initially, but soon realized, it was coming only from the boy.

 

“ I don’t sense any others. It must be only that kid, easy work“ Aviner pat Jorsquat on the back. “ Jorsquat, slaughter him while we get that contract.“ 

 

Jorsquat gave him a nod, the water in his bowl head, swished around, without slipping over the top. He made his way towards Takumi, while looking back and asking Aviner “What kind of human dished meal are we gonna have today? Seilei doesn’t put enough effort into our meals; she only cares about Neifer’s, but he doesn’t even try them...”

 

 “It’s such a waste!” 

 

 “Stop your crying! Your bowl is already filled!” 

 

 Aviner smiled and closed his eyes, “You sound jealous”

 

By the time they brought their attention back to Takumi, they were surprised to see there wasn’t only one Takumi, but over fifteen. Individually stretching, cracking their knuckles, while the one on the center, glared. 

 

All of them charged past the one in the center, headed right at them, keeping a distance of twelve feet from the three. A total of ten out of the fourteen duplicates circled around them and dashed around them, confusing the three.

 

The ten Takumi's suddenly broke apart into purple flames that continued raging around them in the form of a purple flaming vortex. The flames ate away at the grass in seconds, quickly closing in towards the center, where the three were. 

 

Takumi barely saw the surprised faces the three made. “ Aviner! “ Josquat and the three braced themselves.

 

Takumi and his other four duplicates watched on as the purple flames continued to grow, enveloping the space that the three had previously occupied. The flames continued eating away at the surrounding grass until Takumi decided to control the flames, allowing them to rise high up to twenty feet instead. 

 

From the window, Haruna watched along with Himari, both taken aback by what Takumi did. “ He burned them alive?! “ Haruna shouted, slamming her palms against the glass.

 

 “D-Did he just…” Himari was shook. 

 

Takumi watched the blazing flames dance high into the night sky. He sighed. “ You should have just died a fast death, don’t blame me for the pain you’re going to experience “ Takumi glanced over, twenty feet away from the flames. 

 

A small dome made from the ground split apart, revealing the three, with Aviner being in front of the other two. 

 

“ That, was close .. my brain nearly fried .. that boy “ Jorsquat tapped his bowl head, panicking because the water that surrounded his brain nearly boiled over. 

 

“ CLOSE?! Look at my pants!!! HE nearly burned it all off!!! And these were new! “ Aviner clawed his fingers into his hair, in an infuriated fit. 

 

“ I guess he isn’t just any random kid “ Ospiris added, the three bringing their attention to the remaining Takumi’s.

 

Haruna gasped, shocked to see the three had survived and stepped back, but remembered that Takumi told her to stay indoors. She glanced over her shoulder to a worried Sango, who had tugged Himari away from the window. 

 

Outside, Aviner sniffed, a strong burning scent was really close to him. He hadn’t noticed that the flames had went up and started burning the top of his dark blue cow licked hair until Jorsquat stepped away and pointed  it out.  

 

“ NOT MY HAIR TOO!!!! I had __ transplant it onto me! You know how long it took me to find a human with it?! THAT LITTLE FUCKER!“ 

 

Enraged that his new pants and hair were burned, Aviner thrusted his right hand forward. His blue nails elongated, coming together and headed straight towards Takumi, who was in the middle of his clones. 

 

One of the clones stepped in and smashed right through the nails when they got close. The nails shattered while the rest stabbed into the ground and reappeared, behind Takumi. The five nails came in like a bear trap, but Takumi backflipped into the air, avoiding them as they reclined and clamped together. Meanwhile the duplicate that smashed through the nails initially, landed on the nail that was lodged into the ground and ran straight for Aviner, using the nail’s base that lead straight to him.

 

The three other Duplicates took off, for Ospiris and Jorsquat. “ Here they come! “ Jorsquat shouted.

 

One of the duplicates went for Jorsquat while the other two went for Ospiris because the latter was bigger. 

 

While Jorsquat engaged the duplicate in hand to hand, Ospiris cleared the two that went for him quickly when the two duplicates jumped up.

 

 Ospiris smashed his fists into them midair. They broke apart into flames that ate away at the skimpy top that covered Ospiris’ upper body. Discontent, Ospiris blew the flames away with her roar. Her muscles, now visible. “ YOU BRATTT!!! YOU BURNED MY FAVORITE TOP!!!! “

 

“ WHAT’S WITH HIM BURNING OUR STUFF?! NOT COOL!“ Ospiris shouted as one of the duplicates lowly muttered “That's the point.” 

 

Jorsquat continued to engage the Takumi duplicate intensely. The duplicate swung it’s claws in, and the two maneuvered as if slap boxing, trading swipes. 

 

This went on until the Takumi duplicate that had ran for Aviner swooped down, nearly slashing his heel across Aviner’s cheek. Aviner managed to dodge this, but when he whipped around to see the Duplicate, he was met with a wall of purple flames that distracted him from what was behind him. Naturally he turned around, not anticipating the fist that was headed straight for him. The fist jammed right into his cheek bone, shattering it as the bone fragments travelled up, lodging into his right eye.

 

 His only good eye briefly made contact with Takumi’s empty purple eyes. Aviner’s nails shattered at the tips. The sheer force of the direct hit shot Aviner straight through the wall of flames, which quickly scorched his pale skin. He screamed in agony, sinking  into the dirt ground again. “ Hmph .. “ Takumi watched, only to sense a strong killing intent standing right over him. 

 

It was none other than Ospiris. Veins formed all round her muscles, shaping into what seemed to be hearts …. 

 

“ HERE HAVE A TASTE OF YOUR OWN FLAMES!! “ Ospiris screamed, slamming the duplicate Takumi, straight onto Takumi with a ground shattering smash. The flames broke apart, spreading around as Takumi’s body elevated from the ruptured ground. Takumi slightly coughed as he elevated, eyes clenched. Ospiris followed up by slamming her gigantic fist, into Takumi’s gut, blowing the boy across the field, straight into the forest. 

“ TAKUMI!!!! “Haruna couldn’t handle watching anymore, as she burst out of the front door. She slammed it shut and ran straight onto the field.

 

“ HEY!! THAT’S NOT NICE!“ TRY PICKING ON SOMEBODY LIKE ME! “ Her shout attracted the attention of Ospiris. “ There’s another pipsqueak, great “ Jorsquat grumbled. 

 

“ I know puny human isn’t implying she can match me  “ Ospiris darted a glare back at Haruna and a blush spread across Ospiris’s butt chin when she caught sight of Haruna’s hair waving in slow motion as she ran. Ospiris spaced out, imagining Haruna’s hair on her bald head. She exaggerated to the point of imagining herself living a normal human life in  an office “ If only I had that hair all for myself ..  “ 

 

“ Ospiris, handle that other brat. Jorsquat, go indoors and get that contract “ Aviner ordered from the ground. 

 

 “ You don’t have to tell me twice, I’m ripping off her scalp! “ 

 

“And I’ll take that flame boy too! “ One of Ospiris’s eyes shrunk as she showed off her thick teeth, but as she said that, she felt her balance tip over. Haruna had used the right side of Ospiris's hip as a stepping stone and scaled Ospiris’s back in four kicks, swirling over, she deliver a swift strike to the back of Ospiris’s neck, following up with her elbow slamming right into Ospiris’s right eye when she turned around. Ospiris toppled over, tumbling back.

 

Haruna landed in front of her and swiped her elbow up. “ WHERE ARE YOU LOOKING?! YOUR FIGHT’S RIGHT HERE! “ 

 

“ I'd dislike to use force to get you off Ms.Sango's property, but I will if I have to“ Haruna added softly, puffing up one of her cheeks. 

 

She now had Ospiris’s attention. Ospiris slammed her palm to the ground, causing Haruna to nearly trip. Ospiris rose to her feet, and the ground trembled with every step she took.

 

Haruna wobbled back but caught herself and exercised caution, keeping Ospiris in her line of sight. 

 

Ospiris motioned her giant hands and lifted them up, waiting for Haruna to get close enough. When she did, she brought her right fist down at her. Instead of taking the whole fist, Haruna focused her elbow at the center of her pinky. Ospiris’s pinky shattered as she quickly took five hops backwards, each one causing the ground around Haruna to shake. “What the hell!? That’s a strong elbow she has,“ Ospiris thought, observing the damage Haruna dealt, then cracked the joints in her pinky back into place. “ I have to get a hold of her to get that hair before I kill her“ 

 

“Best of five? I’ll even let you use your elbow!“ Ospiris shouted Haruna’s way, in an effort to trick Haruna into playing a game of bloody knuckles. Ospiris figured since Haruna had school clothes, that she’s still childish and just as she hypothesized, Haruna decided to play the little game. “Sure, let’s do it!”

 

Haruna ran in again and once more, instead of colliding her elbow with Ospiris’ entire fist, Haruna struck the finger beside the damaged pinky. Once again, the finger bent over as Haruna lunged aside, avoiding Ospiris’s other hand from nearly catching her. 

 

“ Hey! You tried grabbing me! That’s not part of the rules! “

 

“ Sorry! I was stretching my hand! Come at me again! “ Ospiri’s  called out. 

 

“ You aren’t so bright, are you?!“ Haruna brought her elbow up again accepting the challenge and dashed in. 

 

This time, before her elbow connected with her third knuckle, Osari yanked it back and swung her other hand, right into Haruna. With little time to react, Haruna shifted her arm over to at least cushion herself from the full blow.

 

The force caused her to fly off like a rag doll, crashing through the grassy hill several times. Grass patches were spread all around her. It felt as if she were hit by a fourteen wheeler. 

 

Haruna shut one of her eyes and glanced over to the house. She was surprised to see Jorsquat getting closer to the house. “STUPID!“ She called herself, scampering back up. 

 

In a quick act, Haruna front flipped and tried to dash in to intercept Jorsquat but was stopped by Ospiris slamming her massive fist towards where Haruna intended to go. Chunks of rock flew straight for her, forcing Haruna to lunge aside in order to avoid the chunks of rock but that only got her right into Ospiris’s grasp.

Haruna attempted to swat the hand away but found the other massive hand grabbed at her other arm and immobilized her, as Ospiris held her high up over head. Sinister intentions in her mind. Ospiris lowered her down, chuckling. “ Now I’ve got you, my new hair “

 

“Stay still while I remove your scalp “

 

“ Remove … my .. “ Haruna registered what was said as Ospiris’s shadow cast over her. Haruna tried to kick at the wrists, but they were too muscular; her legs flailed like a fish out of water at the mercy of the fisherman. 

 

“  Let go of me!” Haruna shouted, but cried out in pain as she felt Ospiris apply force on her arms, causing her right arm to crack like a toothpick.

 

“AHHHHHHHGGGHH“ Haruna cried out, intensifying her attempted kicks. Ospiris opened her mouth wide, jaws dropping to her neck. The tip of her tongue swooped down to tap the tip of Haruna’s forehead. 

“ Oh honey, I’ll let you go after I take your hair, so stay still or else it’ll be messier than it has to be “ Ospiris chuckled at the end, applying a slight pressure that drew blood from the center of Haruna’s forehead, like a barber sliding a little too close with a small blade. The pain only made Haruna even more ferocious in her  attempts to kick harder. Getting a taste of the blood Ospiris became indecisive of where to actually cut, glancing now to Haruna's chest. 

 

In the distance, Takumi glanced over to Haruna and back to Aviner as he came out of the tattered trendline he had been blown into. 

 

“ Tch … “ 

 

 His concern grew forcing him to get hasty. “Get out of my way and you’ll be spared,“ he told Aviner, who laughed amused by the proposition.

 

“ You, spare me?! You’re quite the arrogant one.“ 

 

“ Heheh, you think I’m going to let you walk off after you ruined my eye you brat?! “ Aviner cackled loudly, digging his nails into his gut at how funny he found it all.

 

“ You’re dead ki- “ The eyesight in Aviner’s other eye became irritating. His eye increasingly let out more stinging liquid that forced him to shut it too. While Aviner babbled, Takumi had sucked his teeth at one point, releasing a small heated vibration that was carried right to Aviners face, affecting his single opened eye. 

 

“ M-My eye …  all of you, kill him!!! “ He whipped his arms around, commanding his Shiki’s to kill Takumi. A total of twenty formed from the nails that had been cut through before. They all came out from the ground.

 

Over at the porch of the house, Jorsquat landed at the front of the door and in a single kick, broke through it, sending the door flying across the hall. 

 

“Now to get what we came for...“ he announced as Himari let out a shriek when she saw him coming from the hallway. She tossed a number of books his way, to no effect. All being blocked by his rubber arm.   

 

“Stop making this hard on yourselves. Just give me the damn contract or I’ll break your knees!“ threatened Jorsquat.  

 

Seeing as it was ineffective, Himari tried running for the living room but that did little to stop him from grabbing her by her hair, tugging her into his arms. He choked her with his rubber suit as his attention went to Sango, who had a kitchen knife.

 

Trembling, she shouted “Let go of my daughter, monster!“

“That hurts my feelings so much … how about you be a doll and get me those papers… I mean, it’s just a couple of pieces of paper. We don’t have to struggle over this, now do we?“ Aviner responded back, laughing at the absurdity and applied more pressure to the hold he had wrapped around Himari’s neck. 

 

Sango jolted straight for him, but he slapped her aside with ease, causing the knife to fly across the room straight through one of the living room’s windows. 

 

 Please don’t hurt her ..“ Sango begged with little choice. She pressed her forehead against the floorboard. 

 

“Then get me those papers“ He responded back, kicking a chair aside. 

 

Back outside, Takumi finished slashing through all of the Shiki’s that came at him, and went straight for the blinded aviner, who relied on the vibration of Takumi’s footsteps to keep track, until Takumi hopped overhead. Aviner twisted his head, trying to turn around but Takumi landed at his side, backhanding him. Before Aviner fell over, Takumi had grabbed his arms and twisted them back causing Aviner to drop to his knees, his face smashing against the wet grassy ground. 

 

 Purple flames slipped out of Takumi’s sleeves, forming into two duplicates that went straight to work, ripping the veins in Aviner’s arms. He cried out, drawing Ospiris’s attention from Haruna. 

 

Ospiris hadn’t done anything to Haruna as she was indecisive of where to cut Haruna’s scalp to remove her hair perfectly for herself. Seeing Aviner in trouble, Ospiris naturally let go of Haruna and stood up from her lurched position.

 

“AVINER?!” 

 

 Haruna, who pretended to have passed out, rolled aside and jumped back onto her feet, panting from having held her breath. 

 

Blue blood squirted around like sprinklers as the two duplicates wrapped the veins around Aviner’s neck and ran in opposite directions. Aviner struggled, trying to stand but Takumi stood over him, keeping him on his knees. “Didn’t I give you the chance to leave unharmed? Do yourself a favor and stay on your knees or I’ll end you.“

 

Aviner couldn’t respond, as his head felt like it’d explode at any moment and just like that, he blacked out. 

 

 “Or take a nap, that’s also fine.” Takumi shook his head. 

 

“I thought he'd actually last, with all that talking” The two duplicates interchanged before breaking apart. 

 

Takumi set his sights to Ospiris, who turned back to where Haruna had been and realized she wasn’t there, “Wher- “ Right as Ospiris was about to speak, she heard a “ RHHHRRAHHH!!! “ coming from the night sky and right when she looked up, she saw one of Haruna’s dark oak eyes twinkle a slight bright violet. Strange red circular patterns formed along Haruna’s face for a second. 

 

 She saw the girl bore a faint twisted smile when she came down. Haruna slammed her elbow with all her strength, and the force spread precisely from the center of Ospiris’ head all the way down to her bare feet. Her unconscious body instantly dropped to the ground.

 

In a sense of urgency, Takumi took off for the house and smashed through the window that led to the living room, coming up from a double roll. Jorsquat was caught by surprise, with dozens of shards flying past him as he was quickly tackled to the ground by Takumi. 

 

 Himari was released from Jorsquat’s clutch, landing on a couch as it was pushed back in the ensuing struggle. 

 

Water slips out of Jorsquats pants, beginning to fill the room as Takumi jumped back onto a nearby coffee table, accessing the water pumping up in the room. 

 

 “Are you … peeing yourself?” Takumi had to ask. 

 

 “NO! You will see what this is!” Jorsquat shouted within his rubber suit. 

 

 “It looks like you’re peeing yourself!” Takumi responded, glancing to Sango. 

 

 “Hey woman, get up!” As she listened to his directions, Takumi tried to jump over and slash at Jorsquat, releasing purple flames his way but found a concentrated surge of water intercepted and slammed him up against a wall, creating mist when the stream shot through the purple flames and struck Takumi, pinning him to the wall and creating a water bubble around him.

“HIMARI!“ Sango coughed out her daughter's name as the water seemed to be pulling her down, some slipping into her windpipe. 

 

 A small colorful fish jumped out of Jorsquat’s bowl, splashing into the water at Jorsquat’s hips. This small fish grew larger, ricocheting straight into the water bubble Takumi found himself in. There, the fish swallowed him whole as water blew the remaining window structure, with water spilling a series of furniture onto the front lawn. 

 

 Takumi wasted little time, burning away at the fish, chunks being blown everywhere. Purple Retsu flames spiraled around him as he stood up from his knelt position, drawing an irritated breath. 

 

Before the battle could progress any further, a bandaged figure spoke, landing on top of the shattered window frame in the living room. “That’s enough.” Takumi instantly noticed that a weakened Haruna was in the grasp of this individual. A bandaged woman?  

 

“Sh- … She caug- “ Haruna tried to speak but passed out, the pain of her broken arm too much. 

 

Both Takumi and Jorsquat withdrew their Retsu, as the bandaged woman announced “I think it’s time to bring an end to this nonsense. I’ll keep it simple: hand over the contract, and you can have this girl back.”

 

 After looking at Takumi for a quick second, she reminded him, “You’ve exerted enough Retsu, boy.” 

 

 Takumi sucked his fang, knowing that she wasn’t wrong. He also noted that his little teeth sucking trick didn't work on her eyes. Besides, there were only two black voids where eyes were supposed to be. 

 

“You’re obviously not at your full capacity, and we’ve already lost two of our own. Let’s not make this even uglier, eh?” The bandaged woman added. 

 

After shooting a glare at the bandaged woman, Takumi sighed and gave his answer. “There’s no point passing up such an offer, Ms.Sango. Hand her the briefcase with the contract...“ Takumi only hoped Sango wouldn’t ruin what he quickly thought up.

 

“Huh? The... “ Sango caught sight of the floating case as the bandaged being turned her head towards Sango as she headed for the floating briefcase in front of the kitchen. 

 

Sango did as she was told, lifting the briefcase up. “Now, we will each walk over to each other and make the trade,” the woman said. Sango handed Jorsquat the briefcase and stepped away.

 

“By the way, what’s your name?“ Takumi inquired.

 

“ It’s Ember, why do you wanna know?“ the bandaged woman replied. 

 

“ Cuz’ if you f**k me over, I’ll make sure you regret it.”

 

She remained silent to his threat, glancing down to the briefcase and over to Sango, recognizing her as the owner that had to sign. “ You, come over here. You’re coming with us too.“

 

“ No she’s not. A number of Ikigai’s are coming, I’m sure you’ve picked up on their vibes. I have enough Retsu to hold you here.“ Takumi solidified his position, speaking right behind her. 

 

“ Bluff “ is all Ember said, though from his confident composure, she couldn't take a chance. “Just sit tight and let me leave without making me kill your friend here,” Ember glanced to Haruna on her shoulder And then over to Himari.

 

“I’ll only take that other girl then,“

“She’s not my friend… everything between us is strictly business. You can have her.“ Takumi growled, allowing Ember to take Himari, who couldn’t believe Takumi was letting them take her away. 

“Mom?! No! Stay away!” Himari tried to fight Jorsquat as he grabbed her hands. He quickly slid his dominant hand roughly around her neck with ease and lifted her, choking the life out of her as she stared at the lighting above her, her vision becoming blurred until she blacked out.

 

Sango was stunned, “ I paid you to help us! Help! “  She cried out. 

 

Takumi did nothing, so she tried to stop Jorsquat herself, but Takumi walked up behind her, and swiftly chopped the back of her neck, effectively knocking her out. 

 

“Well, with that done, we shall make our exit,” Ember stated, dumping Haruna into the water filled room without care. Haruna's body submerged, then resurfaced, slowly drifting towards the center of the room. 

 

“Jorsquat, hand me the girl, go grab Aviner and Ospiris.” 

 

From the now disorderly living room, Takumi watched Ember pass through the grassy field. Black smoke surrounded Ember and her comrades, and rose high up. Just like that, they were gone. 

 

“Sir, Ember has returned with the others... two of them were gravely injured.“

 

“ By whom? Or were they ambushed? Have they retrieved the needed contract?“

 

“ I do not know, you’ll have to speak to Ember. Would you like her to come in with the others?  “

      

“ Yes “ Neifer waved off. Shortly after, he heard the door to the grand office. It wasn’t Ember or the others, rather Mr.Burke. Turning his head over, he drew his attention to a spiraling black cloud that manifested over his desk. From it, Ember stepped out first. She had a girl over her shoulder. “Could that be Ms.Sango?” wondered Neifer. 

 

He watched her step off, gliding down to her knee as Jorsquat followed right behind with Aviner over his shoulder. He carelessly  threw Ospiris head first in front of Neifer’s feet. 

 

“ We were caught off guard… there were two, a Setsu and a half breed we didn’t know about, a boy and a girl. The boy was rather lively, but Ember dealt with him.“

 

“ Hmmm... and the contract? “

 

“ Right here,“ said Ember as she walked up to Neifer. She opened the briefcase. Water filled the entirety of the documents, leaving a soggy mess. Neifer plunged his hand into the case and awkwardly brought out a lump, in disappointment. Though soggy, he made up what the top said, skimming through. He announced “This isn’t the contract “

 

“I suspected as much “

 

“Then it’s a good thing we brought this girl along with us…“, Jorsquat stated as he pointed over to Himari’s unconscious body laying over a furry rug. Flames continued to crackle and burned logs to a crisp within a fireplace behind her. 

 

“Indeed. They'll come for her, but now the Ikigai is aware …”, Neifer calmly added as he walked towards a vulnerable Himari. 

“I accept whatever punishment” 

 

“As do I” 

 

“No sense in me punishing you, prepare” 

 

“Cast this, a message to Chase” 

0