Chapter 41 V4 [1]
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 "NNNOooo, NNOoooh ssssttaaapH!" 

 

  "AGGGGKKK!!!" In a panicked shout Hanami shot her eyes open, gasping for a breath she thought she'd never get. 

 

Successive images flashed in her sight. Visions of her arms chained in a dark space, her mobility hindered as she watched her mother being attacked. Although she wanted to move, she could only scream, seeing some figures approaching her as she then spaced out and had flashes of apparently her in a body, going through a place. Puddles, the cold droplets pouring along her small ears. 

 

 A katana in hand. What was being done seemed surreal in that she felt she was on auto pilot, killing and bodies dropping around her only to be gulped by fish in the heavy rain. A fish that posed no threat to her. Then that shifted and she suddenly woke up. 

 

 Her fingertips glistened in the morning light that passed her vision, soon settling on the sheet that made the ceiling of her bed. 

 

 “What … where? Where is this?!” 

 

 It took a moment for reality to set in, that she was not trapped to the visions she’d seen. Lurching upward, she glanced to her surrounding space. Her room in the Hachi manor. 

 

 To her surprise, she was in the comforts of a pale bed, fluffy like a dove. Hanami leaned up, catching sight of the nearby morning sunlight washing in and out of the space from an open window, calming her down. It was just a dream? She let out a sigh, dropping her head. The seriousness kept her shoulders tense. For the images were still fresh in her mind. Nightmares were now returning to her.

 

 "But why … now?" 

 

 She recalled her attempts to sleep, resulting in her freaking out several times throughout the night. The many pillows she'd had on her bed, now in various locations in the room as testament. 

 

 “Is it because of that factory? or the stress of everything that's been happening... I’m surprised I even made it out of all that! I don't think this much stress is good for my blood-” 

 

 Visions of the previous night crossed her mind. From Ms.Sango and all they'd gone through, to the aftermath that came to be; reminding her of her fiancé and the crude things he said. About her being as bad as her sister. That was the worst of what’d happened at that factory. The highlight that resulted in Hanami’s eyebrows twitching in an agitated way. She pouted loudly. 

 

"I was only trying to bring that family together and he went and offended me, that- that Takumi …"

 

 "You're the worst Hasegawa, and that's saying something considering your bitch of a sister" 

 

 Those words were still fresh in her thoughts. 

 

 "Saying that about Angia is one thing but … comparing m- HOW CAN I POSSIBLY BE AS BAD AS THAT WENCH?!" Hanami's fury made her grab the nearest pillow that she tossed aside, imagining it was Takumi as she got off of the bed to push the balcony door open. 

 

 “That name Takumi, he doesn’t deserve it I tell you!” 

 

 “The only name he deserves is …” 

 

 “Baka! MAKE IT BAKAMI!” She shouted out of the window, allowing the name to soar through the garden. The gardener Takko's ears perked. 

 

 “Jeez louise,  that felt better!” Hanami drew out a long sigh. She stretched her hands, only to look down and feel her sleeping dress soaking wet and then came Hanami’s sneeze. 

 

 “Mwwt-” 

 

 "Gross! I'm drenched in sweat!"

 

 "Mwwwt!"

 

 "And now snot too!" She soon realized the clothes pressed to her while basking in the morning sun. The second thing she noticed was the terrace floor was surprisingly cold but not a bad cold. The kind that made her feel tingly inside. 

 

 “A nice shower should help” She took in a breath, gazing out to the garden beyond her second floor room. This was the place she'd be stuck in for a while. 

 

 “Would you like the terrace temperature increased?” She heard a robotic voice ask. To her surprise, she followed the voice to a small green light. “Sure” Hanami said, soon feeling the terrace warm. She went on to notice ripples in the air coming from heaters. "Ripples..." It made her remember… when she’d seen ripples around her when she was under the frozen lake. Though nothing else in the form of memory registered in Hanami’s mind, she continued to space out on the terrace. 

 

 “This place isn’t all that bad” Still beat being where she'd been in the past. “Rios …” Part of her nightmare hit her again. Her knees bucked as she spaced out with an uneasy anxiety setting into her body. She recalled part of her nightmare being chained to a dark place where she couldn’t see anything except the guard that’d looked after her. He reached up, as more monsters slowly crept with the horrified expression of Rios. “It’s not fair I died while you didn’t! YOU CURSE!” She found the monsters fought to reach her, attempting to reach and choke her. Suddenly, something snapped Hanami out of the terrifying daydream. Nearby chirping filled the ambiance. Haruna took in a breath to calm herself, gazing along the flower plants on the balcony top. 

 “Though you may want to go out of this tower like when you were younger, you may not always want that.” 

 

 “Hello there-” Hanami spotted butterflies getting near the balcony flowers. 

 

 “You two were there the whole time? Sorry for the noise!” Hanami moved closer to rest her arms near the plants. 

 

 “You must have been caterpillars at one point, I’m so jealous! You've found your wings already …” 

 

 “I was too huh, and here we are” 

 

 “The only difference is … I still haven’t transformed though” 

 

 “AHHEW!” She sneezed a second time, causing the butterfly’s to flutter towards the daylight in twirls. 

 

 She admired those butterflies as they came back down and soon landed on a flower pot.  Their antennas fiddled as Hanami observed closely and soon realized the butterfly faces seemed a bit scary but they were still innocent.

 

 She couldn’t help but match the faces with Takumi’s. “He looks scary but… the way he does some stuff is innocent.” She thought of when he’d had honey rolls in his mouth. "Hi there! Did you hear my rant?! And good morning to you two, you aren't bee's so I can't offer you any honey rolls but... what do butterflies eat?" The butterflies soon moved about again, fluttering off of the plants. Haruna giggled, turning in to head back inside. 

 

 “Ahcheww!” A sneeze echoed through the living room where Hanami was having changed her bed clothes to Pajamas. “Mwwwnnn, maybe I should stay in today…” 

 

 Hanami complained, grazing her palm up against her stuffy nose. “SSnnrrt-” She snorted. 

 

 “But school…” Hanami thought to herself in a faint pained expression. She perched upright slightly when she saw the main living room door open, the cluster of objects informing her someone was coming with something. 

 

 “I think I might wanna go back to bed” 

 

 “Sorry Mira, stay away from me or you’ll get sick- the weather at that factory still got to me” Haruna mumbled to herself in complaint though Miranda listened after setting the cart beside the couch Hanami laid on. 

 

 “Hang on, let me check-” Miranda observed how puffy and pink Hanami’s nose was. So much so it warranted Miranda place a hand on Hanami’s forehead. It was beating red and pulsing with heat. Miranda's concern evident in her creased eyebrows Hanami watched twitch. Alto soon came in with three other maids. 

 

 “Nhhheeehh” Hanami groaned, resting her head on the sofa’s armrest. 

 

 “Ahhkheww” She sneezed a second time in the presence of the maid. 

 

 "Ehhh-" Aimi cautiously approached with a smile, sprinting behind Nithilith as a way to avoid Hanami being sick. The sneeze made her slip a mask over her face for a moment as Ubri sighed. “Put that mask down, you know your body is at a frequency where that sickness can’t exist or latch itself so chill out Aimi, be professional” 

 

 “Still it’s gross-” Aimi said as Hanami had heard it and frowned. 

 

 “Is she the maid that talks about me?” Hanami wondered. “Well excuuuuse me for being a hoomaaaan!” Hanami shouted, only to then be surprised by Aimi suddenly appearing in front of her. 

 

 "Tissue?"

 

 “Surprisssee” 

 

 "Thank you" Haruna weakly reached for what Aimi gave her. 

 

 “Surprise” 

 

 “I know magic the way I made that tissue appear for you, surprised?” 

 

 “Suurprise” Hanami answered back with a faint smile. 

 

 "I surprised a Hoooman-" Aimi pointed to herself while looking at the other maids. 

 

 “You got sick and didn’t say anything, you should have”

 

 “I started feeling bad this morning … sorry Mira-” 

 

 "I apologize if I'm too much of a burden..." Hanami bowed as Miranda observed along with Alto who smiled. 

 

 “It’s okay. Try this” Mira held out a popsicle that Hanami bit into and groaned while numbing on it. 

 

 “Nnnhheww-” Hanami’s eyes shot open. 

 

 “My head, the headaches going away” 

 

 “What is this stuff?” She got a better look, squinting to see if she recognized what Miranda gave her. 

 

 “It’s a natural medicine that travels to your cerebral and temple” 

 

 Hanami opened her mouth, attempting to not sneeze but did so a second later. She sneezed into a napkin, Alto pressed to her nose. 

 “Humans are sensitive, but from what happened to you, it’s to have an effect since you were in those sort of frigid temperatures” 

 

 “Not to mention you fell into freezing ice” 

 

 “Yeah, I’m still not sure how I came out of that” 

 

 "Wait- how do you know that?" 

 

 "The reports of course... the Ikigai saved the events of the factory." 

 

 “Now that you took a bit of the cold, Here these will kill the fever and clear the symptoms” Aimi glanced at Nithilith who appeared with a hot cup of tea she’d been preparing. 

 

 A strange aroma hit Haruna’s nose. She kept her eyes clenched.

 “That … Takumi jerk- It’s his fault” 

 

 “Huh?” Miranda wondered, her ears perking at the sound of Takumi’s name though she noticed Hanami was talking quietly. 

 

 “What is that scent? It’s sweet like mangos, mmm” She sniffled, following the scent. To her surprise a maid had something in hand and that made… was “Nithilith” 

 

 Said Alto, waving his hand. 

 

 "Surprissse" Nithilith said with a clown nose that made Hanami smile. Aimi still tried fitting her nose on. 

 

 "Surprise" 

 

 "Ubri, put yours on!" 

 

 “Please set it there for miss Hanami along with the tea Nithilith-” 

 

 “Right sir Alto, here you go-” 

 

 "Your nose warmer, place it for a bit" Aimi held it out for Hanami but Hanami kindly passed on it with a bow. "I'm fine! Thanks Aimi" 

 

 "What about this drink?" 

 

 “It’s actually enhanced petals grown from lime plants, from the Hispaniolan subcontinent, they're called mangos there, but not the kind that used to exist as the fruit has evolved on those islands whose tropical atmosphere has risen to purge all that's unnatural from entering there. They grow from a special natural vine, that heals things like fevers among other pesky ailments. They’re grown by our Ota clan whose collected many rare species of vines.”

 

 "And have wonderful healing properties Hanami" 

 

 “They have the sustenance to have your body back in shape, my girl” 

 

 "Tip top shape you say?!" 

 

 "Yes... Tip top shape-" Alto smiled uneasily. 

 

 Haruna gave Alto a cheerful smile, enjoying the herbal remedy. 

 

 "That's great! I can make it to school in time then-" 

 

 "About that-" 

 

 “Actually, both Miyumi and I would like you to pay the Ota a visit today before school. Miyumi requested it.” 

 

 "Ota?" 

 

 “It should do you some good to see the clans, starting with the Ota.” 

 

 "Each has been wanting to pay their respects to you. Especially after receiving word of how you helped-"

 

 "Wha- so fast?!" 

 

 "Word fly's around here and it's like you're a... super star with fanatics, the clans are kept up to date on everything that goes on, the clans are informed because it helps in gaining their trust in the choice Sekiha Takeshi has made in attempting to further align with Hokkaido" 

 

 "The Ota's were the first to send such remedies when I'd mentioned it to them specifically earlier in the night" 

 

 “Oda Namba, send her my regards when you see her.” 

 

 Haruna gave Alto a weary nod. 

 

 “If that’s what you want, sure Alto.” Haruna sat up in her seat, feeling her phone buzz in her Pajamas. Just as she was going to glance down, a maid was in her face, Ubri. Hanami felt uneasy as Ubri scribbled on a paper, then pressed a napkin to Hanami's cheek. 

 

 "Eh... can-" 

 

 "Stay still" Said the maid as Hanami soon saw an interesting drawing that made her applaud Ubri who stepped back as Hanami noticed the maid reach for a plate. 

 

 “Ooohhwoooou, say ahh” Haruna’s ears twitched. 

 

 Alto fiddled with his mustache, placing the napkin aside as the maid Ubri presented Haruna with orange jelly like shaped petals. 

 

 One hovered for her mouth. 

 

 "Ahhhhhh" Haruna soon glomped on the herbal remedy, chewing with shrilling delight. 

 

 “They look like orange slices, thank you” Haruna took two from the plate, then five. It was as if a spell had been casted on her taste buds that resounded through the rest of her body. That’s when her eyes widened. She felt strength return into her shoulders enough for her to stand after straightening her back and pounced on Alto. 

 

 “That stuff really works!” 

 

 “Thank you guys, it’s hard to believe those are plants- that there’s plants like that”

 

 “Well it is from plants that are in tune with what keeps this atmosphere going… you’re only putting natural components that have specific chemical effects that gets distributed through the areas your body needs repai-” Ubri was cut off by Alto. 

 

 “It’s no big deal, now off you go" 

 

 Alto pat her back. 

 

“Are you sure I have time since I gotta go to school-”

 

 “You’re being excused from morning classes and that reminds me, Miyumi has sent papers for you to sign for the kendo club you spoke to her about. She said it’s the promise for a job well done!” Alto raised a finger as Hanami delightfully cheered. 

 

 “That’s great news! I can actually make the kendo club!” 

 

 “Okay! Where is it exactly?” A cutesy smile etched across her face. One that made the butler uncomfortable. 

 

 “Those club papers will be given to you after you’ve returned home. For now, join the maids for breakfast and enjoy the trip to Ota Village.” 

 

 "Awwwww, now I have to get through a whole day before getting the kendo papers!" 

 

 “It’s mountainous high peaks and vast shrubs is home to one of our nearby clans. Oda’s home. It should do you some good to get fresh air” 

 

 The trip, the butler explained, would only take 30 minutes to get to the Ota clan driving. 

 

 Finding herself in the car, Miranda drove through a different road, rather than going right that’d lead into the city, Miranda went straight as though she were headed to Yoshigawa’s estate and then maneuvered into a path that led through a forest. 

 

 Hanami spaced out as they passed through a tunnel made of stone. It seemed to be filled by trickly rain in that forest. 

 

 Dense forested trees made the entire ambiance serene despite the tingly sensation Hanami felt in her gut. Why? It felt more like a tinge of excitement at going to a new place. A sight seeing trip. At least, that’s what she hoped to do. 

 

 The car approached a large brick tunnel that Hanami observed closely. It seemed very old. 

 

 “It’s an old entrance way to the Ota village” Miranda said, almost reading Hanami’s mind. 

 

 

 Ota Village. Hanami squinted, as the car exited the tunnel and Miranda turned onto a road that was beside one that diverged while the one she got on went up to a field. Hanami raised a concerned brow as some of the area seemed to be turned to ash. In the distance there were large rock formations and above those formations were floating rock oval houses with vines fused with ropes Hanami observed as the car passed by the initial area. 

 

 By then, they arrived. Hanami got out, noticing some kids playing near some vines. Hanami looked up to see what seemed like children playing on the giant vine / ropes. 

 

 The vines led up to a floating tree rocky formation floating near the giant fortress. "Hi there! younglings!" Hanami tried calling to the kids, only a small girl called back, greeting them as they got close. “Do you wnna pway with our rock house?!” 

 

 “Fortress attack!” 

 

 “It’s one of those monsters again!” The smallest of the three threw a twig down that hit the ground beside Hanami. 

 

 “Monsters wh-” Hanami tried to keep her smile. 

 

 “She’s no monster hwub!” The girl corrected and glanced to Hanami.

 

 “If you want, you can play in our rock house.”

 

  Hanami only giggled. 

 

 “I would if I could, but I’m here for something else little one's eh- may I ask what happened to this place?” Hanami glanced to the burned side of the fortress structure, even the trees in the area were burned and darkened ash and leafs were scattered on the floor. 

 

 “We dunno’! Bubah buh said-” The child tried to remember but grew frustrated as Miranda reached Hanami and told her they’d get answers at the gate. 

 

 When Hanami turned back around, the children were not standing in front of her but suddenly appeared in the vines. 

 

 “We dunno, dunno!” The three children poked their heads out of some vines, causing Hanami to almost laugh. 

 

 “Those here, have the ability to turn into vines, since they share genes with the Kudzu in human form” 

 

 

"Seriously? That's neat but… Dangerous" 

 

 “If someone were to burn t-”

 

 “Your body can burn too Hanami.” 

 

 Hanami agreed, giving the kids a smile and wave. “Well thank you, we’ll find out more inside!” 

 "HALT! WHO GOES THERE UNNAMED?!" 

 

 Going to the front gate, they found someone above shouted, they glanced to a wooden board stand above the front entrance that cast a shadow over Miranda and Hanami. 

 

 “Who are you and what do you want? Free passage through for deals or a message? IF it's from the Doma clan, then we have nothing for you!” 

 “We're not the Doma. I’m Miranda Kajiya, of the Hachi main house. We’re here with urgent business for Oda.” Miranda brought out her identification. Upon seeing the Hachi emblem, the two were granted passage to the entrance commercial area. 

 

 “Ah-oh! That Miranda?!” 

 

 "Of the Hachi main house? Oh snapzels! I Daishin will be right there!" 

 

 "Move over Gane! Watch it- it's that Kajiya of the Hachi itself!" 

 

 "A Kajiya? I've never seen one before..." 

 

 “Please give me a moment to meet you and take you to her personally!” Daishin's voice full of resilience echoed across the sky as Hanami tried to not laugh. 

 

 "You're pretty popular M-" Hanami was about to say but noticed Miranda's side glare. 

 

 Hanami questioned Miranda with an uneasy smile. "Did I say something that angered you Mira?" 

 

 "There's a wiggling worm on your shoulder." Miranda flat out said. Frowning even stronger at the worm. 

 

 Hanami slowly glanced to her shoulder noticing a worm shaking its head side to side causing Hanami to freak out as more worms were dropping from the floorboard of the top watch point to which Hanami ran about. 

 

 "Ah! whats with this?!" Hanami shouted only to notice arguing among the Setsu. 

 

 "How did you lock the door to the watch floor?!" 

 

 "And I told you to deal with the apple worm infestation! This is what happens when you leave those seeds lying about!" 

 

 Hanami glanced to the way the clansmen moved about, nearly falling against each other to open the main gates. 

 

 "Right this way, again I'm Dainshin the watch guard posted at the front defense of the Ota clan" 

 

 To her surprise when she entered the space, a busy vast crowd of faces were passing about and she made sure to stay close to Miranda, following the clansman who’d given the others instructions while he went to take the two far through the many rocky domes in the sky, surrounded by vines that dropped from the sky. 

 There was an area restricted by guards sitting on top of giant vines laid on the road to assure visitors to the clan did not pass to the other areas that went towards the central vines.  

 They soon found themselves at a crater surrounded by neatly organized vines, it led underground to an inner underground place with many vines all across the ground and rocky vast terrain that continued far out to a central pillar with vines attached to the outside of the pillar. Hanami senses that inside the place, it feels relaxing with the distant green waves of water the vines seem to be coming out from but she feels like her strength decreased a bit. She paused while Miranda and the clansmen were getting across the terrain, impressed by the glittering gems that seemed to twinkle in the waves, only to then snap out of it when Miranda called to her. “Hey”

 

 "Wah?! Coming!" Hanami dashed up to Miranda, though Miranda took note of what she'd been looking at.  

 

 "If you're feeling bogged, the walls of this place are the reason. It drains Setsu and even humans of Retsu." Miranda explained to which Hanami quietly listened as Miranda led the way through the underground network system until they reached a door.

 

 "Buhbah Oda" said Dainshin as the three heard snoring from inside. 

 

 "Maybe we shouldn't disturb her sleep?" 

 

 "At this hour? It's understandable for old timers" 

 

 "Nah-" Dainshin stepped in to reveal a guard was sleeping while an elderly woman sat writing something with ink on a bamboo stick. 

 "Eiken wake up" 

 

 "Ahh- it was someone sleeping" Hanami noted feeling bad she assumed the old lady was asleep. 

 

 "Dainshin? You've brought guests, the ones from Alto's quadrons?" Oda asked. 

 

 "Yes-" Said Dainshin, side jabbing the sleeping guard. 

 

 "Ghak- Oh Dain, sorry the smoke made standing and sleepiness then-" 

 

 The old lady turns around after smoking and sends some clouds their way. 

 

  “Hi! You must be Oda! Thank you for the herbs you sent, they really helped my fever, I’m Hanami Hasegawa, Alto sent me to accompany Mira” 

 

 Both Haruna and Mira bowed. 

 

 The elderly clan leader made her way to Haruna unexpectedly fast. By the time Haruna leaned up from bowing she was face to face with Oda, who got a good look of her scaring Haruna. Her heart fluttered in shock of the old lady's narrowed eyes. 

 

 "Ack!" Haruna backed, finding Oda threw a puff of smoke at her nose. 

 

 “If you’ll excuse me-” The clansmen bowed. “Take care Dain” Oda laughed. 

 Hanami watches the clouds pass her with an uneasy smile, while Oda observes closely the two who’d entered her quarters.

 

 “Don’t breathe, don’t breathe it in!” Hanami tried her best. “Hnaah!” Hanami notices the clouds float to the ground beside her. 

 

 The clouds formed into two seats that Oda invited them to sit on though Miranda took one of the seats Hanami was reluctant of taking. 

 

 “Ahheh- That’s a nifty trick…” 

 

 “Are you not going to sit?” Asked the elderly woman, taking a seat. 

 

 Hanami gave her an uneasy nod, taking a seat beside Miranda. 

 

 “She’s a cloud user? Like June-Pyo?” Hanami thought to herself. 

 

Can I welcome you with some porridge? It is still warm on this fine morning" 

 

 "No thanks, I had something this morning already!" Haruna bowed as Miranda's ears twitched. 

 

 Hanami recalls seeing some of the forest burned and areas damaged and had asked some of the kids what happened though they were too busy playing. Though she kept those thoughts to herself. 

 

 “To be honest, I wasn’t expecting for Miranda, remnants of the Kajiya… to be personally sent. Thank you for coming and excuse the trouble.”

 

 “It’s no problem at all. With what’s been going on, other Ikigai are really busy undergoing some investigations, so if I could pay a visit and save master Takumi the trouble, help you then that’s fine” 

 

 Oda puffed with a glint in her eyes, sending the smoked clouds to the two. 

 

 Hanami leaned about, in an attempt to avoid the smoke. 

 

 “Excuse me, why do you smoke if it’s hurtful to you?” Hanami couldn’t help but ask. 

 

 “It’s a bad habit for some… though, in all plain honesty-” Oda thought of what to say to Hanami. 

 

 “I just can’t get enough of connecting with my ancestors no longer in this Atmosphere. If you’ve heard water stores intelligence, the droplets that make this smoke are helpful to see into the ethereal, when travelling to the crystals in a brain and well- but enough of that-” 

 

 “The message, I’ll have you deliver it then. Now I’m more reassured nothing will happen with you being the one to deliver it to Alto.” 

 

 “But to have the Jewel herself before this request, it must be the will of the gods, the will of our constellation, Nie Hirazawa that I’ve been granted the sight of the Jewel herself.” 

  

 “Please don’t flatter me so much! You’re making me blush! I’m only a human-” Hanami tried to tune down Oda’s complement though she wasn’t aware of the seriousness. 

 

 “That’s how you see yourself at the moment, but you’ll blossom into a grander perspective of yourself and that, much I promise.” Oda clearly said with a puff of her smoke. 

 

 "To have a human perspective is also very important, you'll blend and bring harmony when the time is right, I am certain"

 

 Oda puffs some smoke and some goes to Hanami and Miranda’s face as Hanami tries to hold her breath but coughs. Miranda herself, maintained her same monotone expression that meant she breathed in the smoke easily in one breath. 

 

 Oda observes ghostly faces briefly appearing near Hanami when she breathed the smoke. Those smoke apparitions continued to rotate near Hanami. 

 

 The actions Oda took were observed by Miranda. The ghostly faces that twirled along Hanami without Hanami noticing. 

 “Seriously what's with all this smoke, I’d appreciate the personal space grandma-” 

 

 “Nhmmm…” Oda floated back to her seat.

 

 "This child... really is that aforementioned... Yukie, but what are all of those apparitions surrounding her? Wakaba's grandchild..." 

 

 "Ahem" Oda cleared her throat. "Then I'll explain why I had you two come here" 

 

 "The previous nights, the last three precisely... we'd had an increase in Shiki activity. When two children went missing, we sent our Setsu clansmen to find the kids in the forest at the clamor of their parents, fellow clansmen."  

 

 “In that forest late at night, something unexpected was discovered. What was found was a horrid sight of human dismembered bodies scattered throughout the Ota forest and among that… were Shiki” 

 

 "Shiki..." Hanami's thoughts went back to the creatures she'd fought at the factory. Oda's angered expression soon made her uneasy. 

  

 "Further in an underbrush hidden away... The children were found safe but it was clear those Shiki were in the process of attacking humans when they made their way to the Ota clan for the bodies were not of our village, so it's apparent they were somehow being coaxed into transporting human remains, as to whose and where they're from that is a mystery and the strange event doesn't end there-” 

  

 

 Oda slips a letter out of her sleeve to show them the letter left. She says usually traders leave bamboo sticks with messages but it’s obvious whoever it was, wants to take out the Oda due to what they have. 

 

 "We received this and the contents within it, what concern me most is the threat..." 

 

 “To Hirazawa’s cradle nesting, the seven points in Honshu” 

 

 "Here" Oda handed Miranda the letter. 

 

 "If I were you I'd check the Doma clan, not because of the feuding tension between us nor because of a concern for them, but rather a concern of Honshu... who baby Takeshi has worked hard to maintain" 

 

 "Baby Takeshi?" Hanami thought to herself confused. 

 

 "So it was a scare tactic?"

 

 "Precisely" Oda gave a nod to Miranda. 

 

 "The letter, whoever made it wanted us to give them free passage and access to our vines and underground channel routes, potentially as an escape way." 

 

 "Of course I have no intention of doing so." 

 

 "If we were contacted like this, some of the other clans surely were sent letters too" 

 

 "To see who would... be willing to cross the Hachi" 

 

 "That is why, checking on the Doma, I call for that." 

 

 --- 

 

 "All clans are vital and if any of our own are fraternizing with the enemy... it will spell a disaster. After all the countless people who've spilled blood and their hearts to get us to this point. I cannot allow our central vines to fall into the wrong hands."

 

 "So let me get this right" Miranda began. "Oda, village chief of Ota is requesting that we investigate the navigation of those Shiki as it may have potentially be sent by the Doma? Because it's hard to believe no one would have noticed a swarm of Shiki making way through such terrain..."

 

 "Yes"

 

 "and the cause of suspicious be passed to those tasked with the security of Honshu, you'd want Ikigai personalyl assigned to this area?"

 

 "Precisely"

 

 "To protect the Enigma weapon within these central vines, Gahtress and the medicinal underground fields of vines that our enemy may be wanting to destroy to further keep us from healing methods..."

 

 "An Ikigai pack will be tasked with investigating the letter alongside the Yori since it’d be for the best interest of Honshu as a whole if they captured the infiltrators in time." 

 

 "Yes... for I fear, if it is not done then the mysterious illness will spread. We're doing what we can to contain it here." 

 

 "An illness?" Miranda glanced to the bottom of the letter that explained what Oda meant. 

 

 "It's best if you see it for yourself, please follow me." 

 

 "If they're sick, shouldn't we not go there?" Hanami wondered only to hear Oda's old shrunken laugh. 

 

 "Ai, my child. You will not as we've contained it and wrapped the villagers inflicted so far with Vaira vines to quell the disease until a complete cure is made. The disease cannot leave this village, we will not allow it" 

 

 “Follow me please” Oda stood, leading the two to some caverns with vines glowing throughout the entire rooms the injured Setsu were in. 

 

 Insightful. Hanami felt pain just by glimpsing at the expressions they all had. The injured were wrapped by the vines but their faces were visible. 

 

 "They're being kept here, where the disease can't eat away at their life force as fast."

 

 "So we're working with time..." 

 

 "If we are to save them yes... you must. Our young leader Mami was one afflicted among the others, but Mami was out there going to see the Doma clan for an agreement when he was found by our Setsu in a ravine further north between the terrains" 

 

 "She knows more of what went on out there, but without that cure... I'm afraid she may take that to the grave" 

 

 "What Mami said was she'd go out to get an agreement, the rest of the ones that went with Mami were found to be dead. We cannot accuse the Damo, although it points to them... they claimed to have been waiting for their arrival. It could have been they ran into those Strays mentioned earlier but..." 

 

 "You can't be too certain. I got it, you did well." Miranda bowed to Oda. 

 

 

 

 "What's strange is, Mami hasn't awoken, while the others... have awoken but as ravenous beasts. It's clear from the reports made" 

 

 "Whatever the disease is, it's made those afflicted lash out and feast on flesh. When our Setsu's arrived on the scene, they recognized one of the members that'd been with Mami. It was a Setsu by the name of Ignos. A very kind man. It was hard telling his family he had to be put down by our hand. There's was nothing that could be done. Those here cannot fall by the same string of fate miss Kajiya."

 

 "So the last request I made in the letter is that a second Ikigai retrieve a sample by taking one of the villagers and personally seeing what is needed, so that I may aid in making a remedy." 

 

 "It seems some sort of parasite has invaded their minds and it's not an internal one, it's a parasite with good knowledge of genetic manipulation." 

 

 

 “The name at the end of the letter is Chase, I can’t help but think it’s some sick joke” 

  

 Oda says the letter has the name ‘Chase’ who claims he’s in a group called Kogarashi, 

 

 "Kogarashi..." 

 

 "Does that name ring any bells?" 

 

 "Are you familiar with that group?" 

 

 "Yes, once... I heard it but..." Miranda slid the letter into her messenger bag she had at her waist. 

 

 "For as old as I am, I've never heard that name before but I'm certain it must be some group, definitely being used by other forces." 

 

 "That... it is" Miranda turned away from Oda and began to exit. 

 

 "I'll pass on all that you've sent Alto. Come on Hanami" 

 

 "Ah, already?" Hanami turned away from observing the sick in vines. A frown remained on her face as she glanced back to the many wrapped in vines. 

 

 "It was nice to meet you granny Oda, sorry I couldn't do much right now but I'll do all I can to help be useful to you all."

 

 "Ai, you just worry about looking after yourself first my dear." Oda gave a nod that Hanami bowed to. 

 

 "It's safe to say, whoever wants us is keeping an eye on us from afar so..." 

 

 "Miss Kajiya, protect the Jewel and yourself as well on your trip back" 

 

 "Yes" 

 

  

0