Chapter 42 V4 [2]
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

"M'lord." Voltaire checked two cars that passed him as he entered through an entryway, only stopping to show identification. Takumi continued spacing out, staring outside of the hovercar into the distant clear soft purple sky where he saw aircrafts moving into the sky ports massive dome. 

"Those three arriving should help some but... I might have to keep a closer eye on the squirt myself. That's inevitable given the message I got this morning. That ol' man is serious... if I don't look after her, it can jeopardize my first basketball season." 

Takumi soon focused back on the roads nearby, keeping a stern look out for anything suspicious. Traffic wasn’t so tense from the road they were on. The hover car continued through several vacant terminals until arriving in front of a flock of people searching for available hover cars and cabs to take. “We’re now at Osaka's sky port sir” 

"Thanks Voltaire, you can pull into that sidewalk or go. I'll call when we're out.” Takumi brought his sights to the crowds and prepared to exit the car only to notice a cab almost hit the back of Voltaire’s hover car.

“Ay! THAT’S My spot!” 

“GET OUT THE WAY!” Honked the impatient cab driver. At first glance it just seemed like a random grumpy middle aged man, but Takumi reached his back pocket, considering whether to bring out his gun and aim it at the cab driver, but better senses told him to restrain his temptations. 

“You saw me moving in, get out the way!” complained the short-tempered cab driver even louder. Takumi stuck his head out of the car door, soon opening it as people coming in and out of the Sky Port stopped to look at the scene. 

"YOU GOT SH*T IN YOUR EARS?!" spouted the cab driver as Takumi's door flung open. 

“What seems to be the matter?” Voltaire finished parking, leaning out of the car but by the time he did Takumi had already gone over to the impatient cab driver with a fist held up. Seeing Takumi moving in a menacing way, created hesitation in the driver’s voice. His voice cracked just as Takumi reached through the driver side window and yanked the driver partially out of the driver’s window. 

 

 “You wanna disappear with your car damn ol’ hoot” 

 

 “Nhaahhh! Get your hand off me!”

 

 “I can call the Yori if you’re going to hit me!”  

 

 “Can you call them before I silence you? There’s a comfy spot where your car won’t ever have to move again, if you can't control yourself” Takumi kept a firm grip on the driver’s collar while Voltaire walked over. Takumi kept the tip of the gun pressed to the cab driver's jugular. 

 

 “Sir, you mustn’t concern yourself with-” 

 

 “What are you s- who are you?!” The driver shouted alarmed as Takumi stepped aside, letting the driver go. 

 

“This really should not be an issue” Said Voltaire, approaching the driver; who noticed the Hachi emblem on Voltaire’s cap.

 

 “I will move in a moment, I just ask for patience and cooperatio-” 

 

 “OH SORRY! I had no idea you work for the Hachi! Excuse-” 

 

 “Damn moron” Takumi walked off, waving a hand over his head without looking back to Voltaire.

 

 "Doesn't matter who it is, he should have more courtesy then again... that job he's in does require that sort of behavior to get good spots" Takumi whispered to himself while making it into the Sky port. 

 

  “It’s through terminal 5?” Takumi went through his text messages. The three he'd be picking up. None of the three had left a message. “Great, let’s give Luu a call” 

 

 Though he tried calling, the phone didn’t connect so Takumi went about scoping the sky port. As he passed through, his nose prickled at the scent of honey buns, prompting Takumi to turn to join the line as he checked his watch. 

 

 “It shouldn’t take too long to make a detour; their flight is probably going through routine, unpacking luggage. It's 9:34 already...” 

 

 "What's with this line?..." Two minutes turned to 10 as Takumi sighed. Eventually Takumi got his order of honey buns, sitting at a seat that oversaw the terminal on the first floor. By the time he was about to start eating though, someone appeared. A shadow crept over Takumi and when he glanced up, he recognized who it was. 

 

 "Sano, mind stepping aside? Someone watching would probably get the wrong idea. You guys all have the tendency of standing behind me and that'd make anyone uncomfortable" 

 

 "Sure, say that to a friend you haven't seen in sometime…" Sanosuke gave Takumi a charmed smile, reaching for the honey rolls too fast for Takumi to intercept. 

 

 "I see, you still have a value for these sorts of delicacies." Sanosuke held the golden honey that oozed above the honey roll and angled it to the many lights in the skyport. 

 

 “But I’d have to ask-” 

 

 "Ah, here he goes with the value." Takumi squinted. 

 

 "It's important to determine your level of consumption of these Takumi, considering your basketball goal, your metabolism is different than a humans but don’t you think it still may be affecting you? Your body repairs itself with what you put in it." 

"If some conspicuous killer doesn’t get you, I’m certain those will… it’d be easy to poison you through honey rolls.” 

"Can you really value these that much?" 

"As much as you should if you care for your life, Sanosuke. Touch my honey rolls again and it’ll be the last time you touch anyth-" 

 “Anything new?" Sanosuke cut Takumi off. "That could hold value over basketball and those other goals of yours I mean? Have you found a new girl to value other than Akane?" 

"If you don’t, then you’ll suffer. Repression is a deadly assassin to hold deep in your most intimate quadrants. I'm curious about what I've heard. It’s obvious fate presents to you who you’re meant to be with. Let me give you this reminder, keep a vigilant eye on the opportunities that are to present themselves to us. You just sense it when it happens Takumi.”

“Shut up already, where's Rae?” 

"He was right behind me, hmmm…"Sanosuke pondered, taking a slight confused stare to where Rae had been. 

 

 "Right here." 

 

 The two glanced at a fellow who'd finished wrapping his knuckles. That tan skin and white hair. Takumi recognized him all too well. His Spanish military uniform spoke for itself. Rae had been sitting at the table. To Takumi's annoyance, Rae was finishing the honey rolls he thought Sanosuke had. Sanosuke found it funny, but brought a knuckle over his mouth to hold the laughter that threatened to spill over. 

 

 “Did they not feed you two on the flight here…?” Takumi stood, shaking his head in annoyance.  

 

 Sanosuke put a hand on Takumi’s shoulder as both Takumi and Rae observed Sanosuke clear his throat. 

 

 "A Frappuccino is all that I dared try, it is not of a bigger importance than this second reminder you're going to get"

 

"You two weren't followed here by anyone were you?" Takumi asked as Rae thought for a second. 

Suddenly, they heard gunshots, causing them to all rush separate ways. Someone was firing live bullets towards them, as other people around ducked in shock. 

Takumi swiftly brought out his pistol and rushed to the clear view only to see it was some child firing plastics at them. Both Rae and Sanosuke glanced to each other in confusion, soon going back to Takumi as Takumi sighed and watched a man reprimand the child. "Kaiyu, I told you to leave that inside of your bag! Sorry there!" said the apparent father of the child as Takumi squinted.   

 

"He's sharp..." the boy remarked, walking off with the man. “This way, before the security catches up.” 

"With those three together… we can’t catch them at this second. Get in contact with Nithilith.” 

"Your sense for danger hasn't dulled one bit, the second you took off I knew to do the same," Sanosuke commented. 

 

 "Like a bloody bloodhound" 

 

 “You’re still the same bloodhound I remember. Slayer 3-1410” 

 

 “Tch” Takumi scuffed. 

 

 "You should really put that away, you're sticking out like a sore thumb Takumi" Rae quipped as some security made their way to them, but Sanosuke brought out an identification. 

"Pay no mind to my friend here, it seems some child playfully fired down at us from the second floor there." 

 

 "Okay! We'll check it out, you r-" 

 

 "We have places to be so leave it be" Sanosuke stated. 

 

  "So, Takumi, about our lecture" 

 

 "Are you trying to annoy me out of some grudge you're holding Sano?" 

 

"He gave me the speech earlier." Rae pointed out, as Takumi’s eyebrows twitched and he glared at Sanosuke. 

 "Hear me people of this fine present area, for I Sanosuke Belclaire have whispers of wisdom for your ears! Listen as I speak to my friend Takumi!" Sanosuke swiftly got onto one knee, putting a befitting instrumental from his phone and began his speech raising his hand high. 

 

"Dramatic-" 

 

"How much value do you presently hold in your life? Do you remember the agreement we made? That single initial agreement that's twas bounded our friendship. Are you putting value into significant skills? How are you using those skills? I still have to ask you my friend... what do you value? There have been Kings and Queens who've owned far more land and riches than any ordinary human and have lost it all. There are naïve humans that are disillusioned and tricked into thinking life is real estate, when all they're actually doing is borrowing a location and pretending it's theirs for a certain amount of time until someone wicked tricks them into selling the location through creating devious situations where the soul will be forced to sell it."

"Mommy, what is he talking about?" asked a passing child to its mother. "Nothing dearie, just keep walking."

Sanosuke continued passionately speaking. "When it isn't that, a generation or two goes by and something happens where that soul then has to sell it or if something like an invasion happens or nature takes back its land... then that place is lost. It's similar to how here in Japan, the one with the biggest influence, the biggest army, would go to a clan and fight. Upon taking that clan's land, the leader of that clan was forced to kill itself and practically lost it all. Those times are no different as now we have our clans in the form of companies that go to other countries and buy the real estate."

"To take out the threat of the Eurasia continent, you can pretend to own a place, an apartment that costs millions, but when things naturally happen, you lose it ultimately. It's your level of awareness that's important. Who has the power to put you in a bad position? How powerful are you if you can prevent that? Can you prevent someone from getting a family member sick? Will the costs be so much that you then have to consider selling something you think you own? In truth, there are those delusional in a lala land that don't recognize, they're not owners. They're merely borrowers, underdeveloped fools going about the planet, watching others enslaved. They will never be owners when they don't even own themselves for the moment their bodies are birthed on the planet, their feet are stamped and they are in a system that has yet to be reformed. In the end, what I value is not in my reach yet, but this is only the beginning and you, Takumi, are going to help me reach that eventually." 

"When you step into that reality, it becomes harder to enjoy when you know there's someone out there that can easily scrape it from you if you do not prep yourself. That's why it's important to value your circle, my friend. Always remember that." 

"What I Sanosuke Belclaire value most, is the agreed true liberty we’ll fight for and having the power to protect against those with naive sick thoughts. I want to be able to leave something for the souls that come after me so that they may enjoy pleasant experiences on this planet, but not just something with material value. Something with sentimental value as well. That my friend Takumi, is true value that I hope you'll accept and value as much as I do."

By the time Sanosuke finished, many people were going about their own business and Sanosuke noticed Takumi and Rae were extremely far away about to exit the Sky Port’s dome to which he called out. “How heartless of you two!” 

 

The next thing he knew the three were back in the hovercar. 

 

 "So Osaka, has it changed much?”

 

 “Not really. Did you bring those documents Miyumi asked for?” 

 

 “Yes, I've gotten the documents, but haven’t checked them so I will when I get to the department and read through the finances. The others have arrived already."

 

 "Once we get organized from that overseas trip, then we can check the finances. Spending, as I’m sure with your father gone, is going to be crucial in protecting this lands assets and see the values." 

"Hardly, I have my mind on other matters right now. But it's been hectic, that much is certain." Takumi responded, scoping out Voltaire's hover car. 

 

 "And that Luu… where is he? I thought he was here with you guys."  

 

 "Nah, not sure. We were supposed to take the same flight, but he probably already got here in Honshu. How about Yoshigawa, what's he up to? I told him when we'd be here but..." 

 

 "About that… I'll tell you on the way to Miyumi's."

 

 “Value…” Takumi thought of it for a second, thinking of Yoshigawa and Naomi. 

 

Sanosuke twirled a strand of hair that got in his face, before moving it away. “Ah, got it. Takumi, so I can say you've met the fiance you were assigned? Is that why you were so silent when I mentioned Akane?” 

 

 “Who the hell told you?” 

 

 “It’s known all over the families. Well, my mother told me. Is that fiancé in your school?” 

 

 “She is, but don’t pry too much.” 

 

“Takumi and a girl that isn’t Akane! I can’t believe it… then again, Akane is Taro’s girlfriend.” What Sanosuke said made Takumi turn over and punch Sanosuke square in the face. 

 

“Dawh! Takumi! My face! You can’t just hit me like that! I need my face!” 

 

 “Hey, that punch isn’t half bad! You’ve been practicing boxing?! I thought you said you weren't going to try," Rae asked excitedly, as Takumi paused to look at him before sighing. 

 

 "We have to stop at Hirazawa. I have to drop you guys off there since you have stuff to talk to Miyumi about while I have some personal business at the school too. Though for Yoshigawa, it hasn't been easy." 

 

 "I wasn't going to say anything, but..." Takumi glanced at his two friends as the car stopped. Some people went over to the cars trying to sell stuff, amongst them a newspaper salesman. Sanosuke observed the gentleman. "Please stop that gentleman chauffeur, hand him this prepaid card. A note is written of the code for it. Have him trade that for one of those newspapers. Blessed be onto him."

 

 "All that money for a single newspaper?" Takumi asked. 

 

 "Yes, it can change someone else's life. If the man is working diligently… that tells me he’s of outstanding character." Voltaire did as he was told, passing the newspaper back to Sanosuke as the light changed and Voltaire only waved to the bowing sales person. 

 

 Sanosuke closely studied the first page of the newspaper in concern. Skimming through a particular line piqued his interest on Osaka. 

 

 “Ikigai, oh yes wasn’t Naomi promoted to a Shousa? How’s she been?” 

 

“Naomi… you had to ask that, Sano? It relates to the Yoshi problem I didn't really want to talk about. She’s in a grave situation fighting for her life.” 

 

 “What… do you mean?” 

 

 “If nothing is done, well… you get what I mean. An illegal Stray got her during a rescue request." 

 “Illegal stray... I’d heard of the situation that infiltrators entered Honshu… ah, so that’s why mother sent-” Sanosuke gripped his fist.

 

Sanosuke folded his legs in thought, angry that some Stray hurt Naomi and deeply concerned for his friend's mental state.

 

“The one that did that to her is a particular Stray named Jeel… the Ikigai hasn’t gotten any significant information on that Stray, but judging by my personal encounter with it, it’s hit other regions. A mutated abomination controlled by the invisible opposition. It isn’t driven by money, it has other ulterior motives” 

 

"Who knows how many it’s brought along and how they’ve managed to hide so well thus far…" 

 

 "No need to worry, with close analysis of the finances of this place, we'll unroot their plots." 

  

“It’s not a coincidence it’d met with other Strays to infiltrate, so it’s something big that group of Strays has planned and the other regions have probably something to do with-” 

 

 “So it’s likely to have power, it's stolen, much like it’s stolen Naomi’s powers… I’m sure.” 

 

 “Can’t believe that-” 

 

 “Poor Yoshigawa… how’s he holding up?” 

 

 “He’s searching like crazy.” 

 

 “I’d Imagine-” 

 

 “That isn’t good…”

 

 “It’s a good thing I decided to come back when I did then. We can extend our assistance in getting to the bottom of this.” 

Rae remained silent the entire time through, placing new bandages for his boxing knuckles. 

Arriving at the front of Hirazawa Private High, the trio found themselves going for Miyumi’s floating Von Caust Castle. There, they knocked on her door. 

 

 “Come in! Who could it be?"

 

 “Who else but your husband, my darling!" Sanosuke stepped through first as Takumi thought of kicking him. 

 

 “Hubby?! That’s not you- Sanosuke you sly sweet talker!” Miyumi squeaked in laughter. 

When Miyumi finished setting some papers aside on her desk, she leaned off of the table she’d been on in her chibi form and instantly dove off of the table, straight for the trio, though Takumi juked sideways, she wound up jumping onto Sanosuke, who laughed uneasily, finding that her hug suddenly constricted him.

 

 “Miyu-”

 

"Agh, your hugs... agk!” Sanosuke soon complained in a pained laugh as he waved at Rae. “I was joking about the husband thing! My! You're stronger in that little fo- Rae- RAE! might wanna take your turn at one of these hug- AAAGGK!” 

The two heard a crack come from Sanosuke's back as he crashed to the ground, as Miyumi let him go. She then rushed Rae, who tried to turn over, but was hugged too.

“My baby brothers! The three amigos! We’re to have dinner later, but before that…" She turned into her larger self, having poofed into her womanly form. “It’s good to have you boys here. Do your best to not cause chaos.” 

 “We will!” 

 “No promises.” 

 

 “Well, do you have the report documents for me? Ayaka is going to review them in further detail with the senior vice president of the sales and trade division.”

Rae stood up confidently as Sanosuke slid one of the folders he had from between his arm and hip, smirking as he checked Miyumi out in her womanly form. 

“Nmm.” Miyumi tapped her chin, taking a glance at the front of the folder. She opened it, raised a confused brow, only to chuckle. “Sano, I didn’t know you recently got into modeling, these photos… are…" She giggled to herself as Sanosuke then realized he gave her the wrong folder and rushed for it. “AGGH! Sorry about that! Hand it here!” 

Takumi face-palmed himself as Miyumi twirled out of Sanosuke’s attempt at snatching her up to take the folder. The papers flew up as Rae picked one up and saw one of Sanosuke in a duck costume, leading him to burst into laughter. 

“Well if you three are in the mood to talk, I’ll be going now. I have my own business to tend to. I'll see you tonight at the estate.” 

 “My value, damn it! This time, I expected to show you more of my mature side.” Sanosuke sulked, before standing up and giving Takumi a smile as Rae gave Takumi a thumbs up. “Go for it.” 

"Before you go make sure to stay and hear what your friends are going through, little brother," Miyumi said seriously. Takumi turned over, his collar having become visible briefly when given the instruction by Miyumi. 

“Rae, how are the affairs with the private task force protecting the Tensei’s allies in Spain?” 

“I'm not too sure myself. I wasn't given permission to look into the files there... but the sudden attack has been interrupted and Spain is being defended by the family. In the meantime, I’m here to help out and monitor things here in Honshu. You guys needed the extra help and I can’t turn down close friends like Takumi and Yoshigawa."

"Isn't that so sweet?!" Miyumi looked her brother dead in the eyes, making Takumi squint as he glanced to the door. 

“It’s not that I don’t care, but there’s a time for chit-chat. Tell me about what you talk about later." Takumi turned over with the intention of leaving as Miyumi spoke. 

“Then I’ll arrange dinner tonight.” 

“Whatever.” Takumi closed Miyumi’s door and went about finding the Hirazawa basketball club’s gym. 

 

_______

His sights went to a golden liger face shining on a key. Takumi closely stared at a golden key that had a basketball with the letter 'H'. 

"The Hirazawa gym should be around here..." 

Takumi walked through the empty halls of a school building. The charcoal floor had his reflection though his stare was at a door. One that had the carvings of a liger.

 

“But who could the captain of Hirazawa be?” 

"I remember the name, but can't put a face on it." His imagination ran rampant with variations that made him frown. 

 “Khrashhh!” Takumi was knocked out of spacing out by the sound of a loud clash. Up ahead, the closer he got, the more he noticed the door was already slightly open. He hurried to the Hirazawa gym door and opened it. To his surprise, he was greeted to Yuuichi fighting two students while Bentei was in a headlock, all of them fighting viciously. 

"AGH! MY EYES!" 

“The hells going on here?!” Takumi rushed through the door, joining in. He grabbed the shoulder of the one that managed to headlock Yuuichi and punched him across the face. 

 “Yorita!”

“What the hell?! Who's this-” one of them shouted, but found Takumi already reached for the front of his hair, forcing his face down to Takumi’s knee as Takumi grabbed the side of the student's pants belt and swung him aside, falling to the ground with him. The room was eating away at Takumi’s Retsu, as the now invisible collar Takumi wore was also restricting his Setsu abilities. 

"Freshie, what are you doing here?!” Yuuichi stood up, having caught his breath and was punched aside. 

 

 “You’re in the middle of fighting! AKKKKT!” 

 

 “ALL OF YOU STOP!” They all heard a loud voice from the entrance. 

 

 To their surprise… “Captain?” 

 

A guy with pink hair entered the vast gym with a weight in his hand to the concern of the entire group of guys who were aware of his tendencies, except Takumi who raised a confused brow. "Who's that?"

 

They all scrambled for cover though it was really just them trying to avoid Ebisu's wrath. A wrath Takumi witnessed upon Ebisu spinning his arm and whipping a weight straight towards Takumi, causing them all to scramble in a scurry while Takumi barely dodged. 

 

 “HHNNAH!” 

 

 “EBISU MIGHT WANT TO WATCH IT! YOU COULD INJURE ONE OF US!” 

 

 “AND WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU ALL DOING JUST NOW?!”

 “That’s because we’re quitting! All of us 11th graders are quitting if Yuuichi’s staying on this team!” shouted one of the 11th graders, glaring over to Yuuichi. 

“Ashikaga’s right, after the mess he caused in the semi’s, you should be one of the first ones kicking him off the team!” 

“You want me to kick your face again, Ashikaga?! SAY THAT AGAIN! SAY IT TO MY SHOE!” Ebisu stormed for Ashikaga, who rushed over to the track to start running.

“WHAT I MEANT WAS ITS QUESTIONABLE THAT KATSUYA’S LEAVING HIM ON OUR TEAM LIKE THIS AND WE WON’T STAND FOR IT- ONE OF YOU GUYS SAVE ME!” Ashikaga cried terrified, dashing in desperation of Ebisu catching him. 

“YOU DOUBT KATSUYA?!” Fumes flew from Ebisu’s nose as he pounced for Ashikaga, but suddenly the door opened again with a bright flash of light from the hallway. 

A voice echoed dramatically, silencing them all. 

“Ebisu.” They all heard, as Ebisu fell face first. When he stood up, he sent a thumbs up his way. 

“Only making sure things are all good here Kat. I said I’d get to the gym first.” Ebisu sent a fanged smile to Katsuya. 

All of the mayhem confused Takumi. The latest addition to the Hirazawa group had on the colors that seniors of the Hirazawa school wore, indicating to Takumi that it was Katsuya. 

Ashikaga spoke up. “We already made things clear, we’re quitting this team and it doesn’t matter if you injure us, Ebisu. I respect you as our senior, but we won’t stay on a team that’s bound to keep losing because of Yuuichi.” 

“The stakes are too high and if any other team represents Honshu, then this year it’ll spell trouble now that Taro is gone; he was the only thing keeping those Majestics in check.” 

“Well, I heard they all went to separate teams.” 

“You’d think that’s a good thing but… that makes getting to the finals a thousand times harder.” 

"Come on, guys.” Ebisu only watched the four leave the gym. 

"You have till Friday to get the hell off the team,” Ashikaga announced. “Or we’re leaving." The four left the gym silently, as Takumi sighed and took a glance at Yuuichi, who gripped his fists, guilt obviously eating away at him.

 “Sorry I brought so much trouble captain…” 

“Ah- don’t sweat it.” Katsuya approached, giving Yuuichi a pat on the shoulder as he noticed Takumi’s clear purple eyes watching with an upset glint in his eyes. 

“You have an idea what you’re going to do?” Bentei asked, reaching the two. 

“Not a clue.” Katsuya smiled with a faint laugh, causing Bentei to sigh as Takumi glared. 

Katsuya went over to Takumi, placing a hand on top of his head. "And you must be the freshman that took on Yuuichi and Bentei the other day.” 

“Takumi… Hachi. Taro’s little brother.” 

The sound of that pissed Takumi off. 

“Mind getting your hand off my head?” Takumi briefly slid his hand into his pocket, gripping a small military swiss knife. 

“No, your hair is really fluffy and soft.” Katsuya ruffled Takumi’s hair.

After ten awkward seconds, Katsuya stopped. "I'm just joking."

 

 "You're here to join the team and find out the remaining test, but there's some sort of internal politics going on, as you can tell." Katsuya reached up again, ruffling Takumi's hair as he tried to explain. 

Takumi went on to slap Katsuya’s hand in a single swipe that echoed and the others held back their laughter. 

“Do that again and I'm gonna forget you’re the capt-.” 

"Sure, thing little liger," Katsuya interrupted.

"Now try saying what you said earlier again, please." Takumi relaxed his composure giving Katsuya a serious gaze. 

“As you saw there, the team isn’t really in agreeable terms with Yuuichi. We still have to give you two tests, do you still want to join?” 

“Of course I do. Tell me about why they’re so angry though. Yuuichi didn’t lose that terribly in the semi-finals, so why are they so upset?” 

 "It'd be a better course of action if they focused on the present. The only observable problems are-" 

“For one, what you did earlier. Two, I wasn’t expecting this of the team I’d heard about.” 

"Those 11th grade crybabies, they’re upset because they all feel guilty for losing, but want to blame it on him, since Yuuichi gave the team a lot of hope last year and they feel let down," Ebisu explained, reaching them as he continued to lift his weight. “I should feel worse since it’s my last year to win something here.” 

"But really, it's all our fault. We should have been looking out for the freshmen. Those dirty Seiryuu bastards caught him slacking when he went for a bathroom break, so we didn't have him on the floor for the last game in the semis against Seirei." 

"Don't remind me about that senior," Bentei growled. 

 “Are you sure this kid's Taro’s brother though? Well, good game against Yuuichi and Bentei.” 

“Thanks.” Takumi meekly responded. “The games are going to be really intense this year for Hirazawa, but if we can’t even form the team, then that’s out of the window.”

"Well, don’t worry. I’ll figure out a way to help and get them to accept Yuuichi.” 

 

The bell then rang, to which Katsuya clapped his hands. "Well for now, you all get back to class." 

 

 Takumi swiftly turned over to leave. 

 

 "Ay! Little liger, you're leaving so fast?! I thought you'd challenge us to a game. There's a 5th to ref!" 

"Nah, there'll be time for that later." Takumi waved, as Katsuya laughed under his breath.

 

“Is that so?” 

 "I'll regroup with Sanosuke and Rae, they should be done with Miyumi... going to class now would be a waste of sorting this today" 

 

 “Lllhaahlilluuulilah!” Hanami skipped across the school's entrance, glancing back to Miranda with a peace sign. “Thanks for the ride, Mira! It was fun! Tell Alto I had fun on the trip to Ota village!” 

Miranda gave Hanami a nod from the hover car, prompting the girl to take off to find her class. Considering it was close to 1 p.m., it’d be her gymnastics class. As expected, when she reached the building reserved for freshmen and got to the girls locker room, many were changing among chatter. 

Hanami went through until she found Minami.

“Oh! You decided to come today after all Haruna! I found it weird you weren't in the class early morning. What made you arrive late?” 

"Remember that cousin of mine? Yeah, she had to visit a clan and they had me accompany her.” 

“Did it go well?” 

"It did, we got to meet a nice old lady.” Hanami sat down to get changed, by the time she did, the girls were all outside. She caught up, meeting Minami in line, while Veil was placed in a second line up of girls in front of them. 

“Did you hear rumors?” 

“Someone was talking about me?” 

“Actually, yeah…"

“First the maids, now… people really have nothing better to do here?" Hanami frowned.

People were still whispering. Or maybe not. Hanami noticed girls shooting glances, but focused on running on the track. 

"The talk's about something else, I heard rumors earlier in class."

"A rumor about me? But I haven’t done anything to anyone! What kind of rumor could that possibly be?!” Hanami complained. 

“I don't know, I heard some chatter while on the way to class. Some girls said really mean things like you got in here by marrying someone, that you’re a… cash cow.” 

“A cash what?! I can’t believe that!” Hanami imagined herself in a small cow costume, leading her to fume out of her nose. "Let me find who said that! Damn it, just you wait!" Haruna raged. 

"I told those girls off, but it didn’t do any good, they just ran off even when I told them you’re not one, but I wonder who’d make that random rumor,” Minami thought with a confused expression. 

“In that case… what can I do? Who would spread something like that about me, Minami?”

“Whoever that was, I’ve gotta catch them and get them to take it back!”  

“But then again… it’s part of school social life to gossip.” Minami tapped her lower lip, tracing the tip of her nail along the bottom.

 

“Ignore it, it’ll go away," she encouraged her friend with the only solution that came to mind. 

“I can try...” 

"I barely know anyone here though. So, why would someone talk bad about me? There’s only one person…" Hanami’s eyebrows twitched, not wanting to even think of who it could possibly be. “Takumi?” Shadows of passing clouds brought with it a gentle breeze as she and the other girls made it to the open field. 

A bright sun shined down on them. There were some from the tenth grade too. “These are your seniors, they will be helping me with managing the activities we have for you all today," Mr.Sakana the physical school examiner, explained.

 

 “Olga Oroh, Emiko Tanaka and Nezuru Hamaro, familiarize yourselves with your upperclassmen” 

 “Yes!” The younger group of girls said as some whispered. “The Diva’s…” 

 

 “The what? Haven’t I heard that somewhere?” Though Hanami tried to remember, she soon brushed it off. Glancing over to a bench, Hanami spotted Veil spaced out alone. She called out to her, only for Veil to slowly look back, giving her an aloof expression. 

A monotone "Morning" came out of her parted lips when the girl went to check on her. 

"Morning! You're all ready to go? How are you today, Veil?! I thought you were in the second group's running lineup?” 

“I’m okay, I'm adjusting my shoes” Veil said softly, as Hanami patted the top of Veil’s head and glanced, only to raise a confused brow at seeing Veil was wearing the school dress shoes rather than running shoes.

"Oh, hey Veil! Did you jot down the photography requirements for that class section of what Ms. Tsuzuri was talking about in our last class? I was distracted about orders that I have to get done later… could I compare notes during lunch?” Minami asked, gaining a nod from Veil. 

"Great, we can study during lunch then!” Minami patted Veil’s shoulder as Veil softly said “I can’t" although neither Hanami nor Minami heard her. Veil stood up as a whistle echoed. 

"Okay, both groups will start running and we will get into sports after that!" 

From behind, Hanami could hear the girls talking about something. She tried eavesdropping on the conversation. "Can you see that? What a strange girl... wearing school shoes for running." One commented that if she’s too poor to even afford shoes, she shouldn’t be at Hirazawa, that it's a disgrace to the rest of them, and another questioned how she even got in. Hanami couldn’t figure out whether Veil was even aware due to her standing at the front of the group, though soon they all heard a whistle again, prompting them to run on the track. 

Soon, she spotted the Hirazawa thugs at the other side of the fence with goggles. “Pervs!” she growled as Minami caught up to her;. “Ignore them, let's do this running!”

“Did you spot the redhead bitch there?!” Heisuke kicked some gravel, passing by Sada, who gave him the binoculars he used to zoom in on the running track of girls. 

“Nah, nothing yet Heisuke. There’s only the freshman girls, but no redhead in the running line up for that grade."

"Ah, then let’s get outta here and pick watch spots near the Tama Bridge to catch that basketball team. We'll find her sooner or later!”

"Are you sure you want to leave so soon?! The running is getting good! Those babes working up a sweat-" Right then Uda got hit in the face by the bottom of Heisuke's shoe. 

“That can wait! I got online yesterday, some punk from that school was talking crazy and they’re saying their basketball team is better than ours. We outta teach them a lesson.” 

“Then let’s go."

The four of them soon turned over as Heisuke observed Hanami one final time among the girls, though he felt she seemed familiar, the brown hair made him shrug. Heisuke turned and then followed them to leave Hirazawa. 

  

Hanami meanwhile sped through, running to her heart's content among the other girls of her class. "GO FOR IT HARUNA!" The girls of her class cheered, seeing how fast she managed to grab the baton and go. The other girls were surprised to and soon she reached the finish with the other girls who'd been further ahead initially. "WWHEEW! We kept up!" Haruna cheered along to the chants of her classmates. That is, until she heard shouts. Something happened. Heading over, she found three girls standing in front of Veil while the others watched.  

“You call that an ethical dress code for gym? How dare you step on the grounds of Hirazawa when you can’t even afford any running shoes!” 

 

Two laughed as the main one growled angrily. “Despicable! Look at those dirty things!” She pointed to Veil’s school shoes. 

 

 “Hey there!” Minami stopped drinking water from the water fountain she’d gone to and rushed over to find Haruna standing in front of Veil. 

 

 “Is that necessary? you didn’t have to say it like that! She forgot them! They’re just shoes, you stuck up-” 

 

“Mind your business! Here at this prestigious school, we have cultured ways of doing things. A newbie like you has to stay out of our way!” 

 

Olga took a step forward as shivers ran down Hanami's arms though she stared straight at the threat. The girls watching all held their breath. “She challenged Olga… that can’t be good.” 

 

 “Wasn’t Mr.Sakana around here?” 

 

 “He went to talk on his phone about something, his way of doing things is shouting at us and then going off to jerk off” 

 

The crushing sensation without even touching her, Hanami felt the gravity around her strengthen as if her shoulders were being slumped. Despite that, Hanami knelt down, removing her shoes as she remained in her socks and placed them in front of Veil.

 

 “H-Here Veil, put these on” Hanami said without giving an indication she was being affected though Olga’s eyes focused more to apply more pressure. 

 

 “W-What… is this?” Hanami thought the weight of her body felt heavier as if the Diva’s gaze were having a gravitational effect on her. Suddenly, the air returned to Hanami upon hearing a familiar voice. 

 

“Not so fast! Shoes are shoes! If you were kinder, you’d offer her some!” Minami stepped in to Hanami’s defense, having seen Hanami remove her shoes to give to Veil. 

 

“Offer someone because of their own irresponsibility? Dress code is required to be memorized by all students. She can speak for herself."

 

"Well she’s my friend. I c-” 

 

“She’s right, sorry Haruna.” Veil stepped forward and bowed. “I was in a rush packing this morning and didn’t think of this sort of class…” 

 

“Hmph.” Olga sucked her teeth as the other two followed her the moment she turned away, as Hanami stood up and Veil commented, “I think you’re a bit bigger than my shoe size."

 

“You’d do good to stay out of our way, black sheep…”

 

The last part Olga had said confused Hanami, who barely picked up on it as the P.E. teacher rushed in after returning from a phone call. 

 

“We’re leaving the rest to you, Mr.Sakana, stay off your phone or the school board will hear of your negligence” Nezuru spat at the teacher as the three were lost in the crowd that surrounded Hanami. 

 

 “Bitch…” Mr.Sakana thought to himself. 

 

 “Diva?...” 

 

“I’m not sure what’s worse… those girls or our P.E teacher’s last name…" Hanami grumbled as Minami helped her up. 

 

0