Chapter 32 V3 [6 Part 2]
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

Takumi said but flinched as he suddenly knelt over a wire below Geira. The Woshu, he heard them all, forcing his Setsu side to desire blood. “No… I will not!” he said as he clenched an eye shut. The after effect… I didn’t drink blood directly, but they’re linked to me. I have to kill her now!

 He swiped his hand downward, aiming for a clean cut of her head, but just as he brought it over his head something wrapped around his waist. His arms were thrown up as he tried to grab onto anything to keep himself from being ripped away, but it was too late. He found himself flung around before smashing to the lobby floor, where he realized Dredger’s severed tail now moved on its own again. The wires above him were being snapped by something moving at a high speed, and the ones that laid beside him retracted back into the roll on his belt. 

Geira found herself thrown onto a parked construction vehicle, smashing into its window. Takumi felt the front of his head pressured and he reached out, grasping what seemed to be a bulky forearm. Another enemy!? the thought flashed in his head, replaced by the pain of feeling the back of his head collide with the ground. He coughed out blood, losing clarity in his vision upon being thrown against a pillar. “Ugh… my head…” soft particles of snow loomed in and out of his vision as he couldn’t make out who came closer to him; he could only feel a powerful killing intent coming from a raging soul.

Geira observed a portion of Takumi’s face missing as the ferocious being reached down to rip for Takumi’s heart gem. “You’ll all suffer!” 

“That voice…” Takumi growled, but felt his consciousness fading.

“You won’t have Sango; she’s staying with me!” He’s just seeing those memories, Takumi thought, slowly losing the ability to hear Dredger’s deranged ranting – the seal breaking was successful. Dredger stood over the teen and lifted him up by his collar. To his annoyance, irritating voices once again filled his ears.

Consume if you don’t wish to die!

“Shut up!” Takumi’s fangs grew thicker as his face reformed, and he wasted no time head-butting Dredger’s forehead, who then lost his hold of him as he thrashed backwards. Takumi felt displeased at his current situation, as he looked over to Geira slipping off of the construction vehicle and Dredger rising back to his feet. 

Geira slipped her hand over her helmet as if she were talking to someone, while Takumi stared at his reflection on the floor below him. Just then, he saw Dredger from behind. A fist whipped past him, stirring up particles of dust. The Setsu lifted his forearm, blocking the unnatural arm swung towards him, but found himself lifted up as Dredger struck his gut and threw him aside. 

As he crashed, Takumi noticed Geira leaving; he forcefully braced himself again as the man grabbed at his feet and spun him through a stack of crates that spewed oil all around. The boy swiftly sprung and took off to intercept Geira before she reached the open hatchet. “I said I’m gonna need your head!” Before he could reach her Dredger intercepted, swinging his forearm. Takumi thrashed over, growling at the now abnormally stronger menace. To his surprise, the ground was caving in as if an elephant's foot were pressing down to the ground.

“Wings of quis passage!” Two small silver bat-like wings landed in front of him, dispelling whatever had been on him. The projectiles carried violet petals that spread along the area striking Dredger, as the menacing force that had hit Takumi became visible and thrown off him by shaking currents. It was a tail with what seemed to be the face of a mammoth, and it seemed to have legs made of tusks. It charged at Takumi again, only to be repelled by the new barrier surrounding Takumi.

“Lord Alessandro! You’re all beat up; not a good look.” Ugh, these two, Takumi squinted at both Keichi and Sayuri, and he tilted his head both sides to see the Ikigai packs around him. “Hard to believe you've been having trouble … with that thing?”

“That's the old factory owner, he's tougher than he looks but I have this covered,” he explained, trying his best not to lash out at them. “That thing in its chest,” he added. “It harbours all of his traumatic memories mixed with corrupt Retsu. That has to be shattered if we’re to end this! Leave a few of these Setsu, go on ahead and catch the helmet-wearing bitch.” 

“Helmet-wearing?” Sayuri and Keichi glanced at one another with fleeting curiosity painted in their expressions. “Could it be the same lady that fought the Hasegawa vassal?” 

Surprised that the news of the fight had reached another group of Setsu, he asked, “How'd you know?” 

“Shiro told us,” Keichi replied, a small smile on his lips. “We have someone searching for her body presently.”

Ms. Sango came running over to Takumi's side, moving from the Setsu that had been tending to her. “Perfect timing, you’ll be useful for what I'm going to do next.”

“Where's that old fart?”

“He’s being treated back there; apparently Lady Hanami has been lost during battle as you were just told,” Sayuri muttered with a grimace.

“Has that been the only casualty?”

“That I know of? Yes, but that's your fiancé! You ought to be out there swimming for her!” shouted a now exasperated Sayuri, “We’re in for big trouble, Lord Takumi!” 

“Fuck that, she was the most annoying one of them all,” Takumi glared in Dredger’s direction. 

“Kid, you have no soul, but in any case, we'll leave you with some backup.” 

“Commander,” whined someone amongst those chosen. “Take us with you…” Before leaving, Sayuri pat Takumi's head as he squinted at her. Keichi signalled the left side for his squad to surround the teen as they ran past him headed for an unlatched swaying door. “We were on our way for negotiations; it's safe to assume that's not happening anymore?” Takumi could only shake his head. “We’ll meet with the packs in the lower floors first and get that Stray that attacked Ms. Sango. It'll be a problem if we don't have her when explaining to Lady Miyu how your fiancé died.”

“So… she seriously died?”

“According to Ms. Sango, she sunk into the deep depths of the frozen lake,” Sayuri explained quickly. “She’s human, you know. We left some pack mates behind to dive in but… let's face it, she's dead.” A frown naturally formed on Takumi’s face after what she said before she turned to the others. “Those left behind, assist Lord Alessandro in subduing the enemy.” 

“Sir,” the other Setsu said in unison, grasping the bat-winged hilts of their sabers. Dredger growled and when they prepared to take off, he jumped in an attempt to stop them, but found small projectiles were thrown his way, blocking him mid-air. Sayuri used this time to exit the scene with her pack.

Those present with Takumi maintained formation and dashed in for the enemy, hopping over the invisible barriers that were casted. Two of the fifteen instantaneously found Dredger’s tail wrapped around their hips, shattering their backs as their cries echoed by the others. They came in from all directions, outmanoeuvring Dredger’s attempt at snuffing them out by swatting his tail about. Before he knew it, lengthy sabers punctured into him from all directions, the bat wings on those flapping about furiously and keeping him interlocked.

He heard one from up above him scream and he reached up to catch him, but to his surprise the Setsu contorted his body, avoiding the arm and slicing it off. “There’s that flexibility!” one of his teammates shouted.

Takumi stared back at Sango who seemed spaced out. “Woman, your daughter’s fine. She managed to escape.”

“That's not so reassuring…” Sango said as a fake laugh escaped her. “It is your fault she got taken away.” Sango maintained the smile, clenching her eyes shut. “But you did it for a reason, so I trust you.” She could tell the boy cared even if he tried to hide it.

“You did pay me,” Takumi squinted at her. 

“It won't ever be enough with what you've done. You and everyone else whose risking their lives … I couldn’t do anything when that young child defended me – I’m sorry,” Sango lamented as the teen rolled his eyes. She nearly hiccupped, holding back the urge to cry.

“Get over it. That squirt isn’t dead. I’ve only known her for a couple of days but I trust my gut; she’s too stubborn to die, don’t worry about it,” Takumi replied as he shifted over. The bruises and tattered clothes on the young boy spoke for themselves.

Sango pressed her hand to the centre of her chest, speaking earnestly. “Yes but… wait, why would there be a monster in this place? Is it to do with why that strange man wants my father's factory so badly?”

"Well, about that monster...” Takumi paused. His hesitation concerned the woman. “Actually, never mind.” He waved his hand a second later leading her to nearly fall over in anticipation. “You’ll find out soon enough.”

“I'd rather find out now than later,” Sango said nervously, waiting for whatever he was going to tell her.

He took a deep breath and sent her one last glare before admitting, “Fine. That thing over there... is your father. Or at least what's left of his corrupted soul.”

“My father!?” She followed Takumi's line of sight to the monstrosity being attacked. Every time an opening presented itself, it seemed to leap for her direction. “You're not joking, are you?” she spouted, visibly under stress. Though she couldn’t fully bring herself to believe it, deep down she knew he hadn’t ever found peace with the way he went out. “After all this time, you come back like this!? I shouldn’t be surprised; you only ever try to ruin my life!”

“S-Sango…” Her voice seemed close yet she was far from his reach. Dredger blindly sought her, but was not in control of the body he was in. 

“Of course you pop up when I'm trying to get my life together! First, you take my boyfriend... and now my daughter! Do you like making me suffer?! And now you’re here destroying what little is left of a home you once preached about!”

Sango ran past the two metallic bat wings, leaving the safety of the barrier. Seeing this, Dredger uncontrollably rushed at her. “Watch out!” A Setsu tackled her back behind the barrier as the ground between the two bat wing projectiles shattered, causing the barrier to be destroyed. “Great, she made things worse.”

“Even after I tried to understand you… I thought I could after everything I went through as a lone parent. I just can’t! You’re no parent, you’re a disgrace to all parents!” She tousled to get by, being hauled back. Despite having no control of himself, he heard Sango’s pleas clearly; tears welled up as he slaughtered three Setsu in one spin to get past them. Takumi slipped in front of the woman, grabbing a hold of her and jumping backwards as other Ikigai stormed Dredger. 

“Keep him in check! I’ll finish him soon,” claimed the Setsu, his desperation only growing stronger. 

“You heard him!” shouted a Setsu amongst those engaged. One aimed to thrust his saber onto a shiny ruby-like gem that stuck out from Dredger’s chest but upon thrusting it, the blade shattered; two sharp tips formed backwards along the sword and stabbed into the Setsu's abdomen. The impact led him to collide with two others. With the ruby, a small shadowy form seemed to be throbbing, garnering all of their attention. 

“I can't believe Keichi left him here with us! There are many relying on us! If we fall here, all of Osaka will be washed away by the snowstorm!” Kicking into the action, the wimpy Setsu tried running at Dredger, but tripped on himself as the others moved in and saved him from being crushed under the being’s stomp. 

“I may need you to run, it's not safe here,” Takumi turned to Sango. 

“No, I won't run. I've done enough of that. Besides… it’s my fault that he's here like this.” 

“Now is not the time for that, he's clearly trying to attack you,” he tried explaining, but the look on her face wasn’t convincing. “In order for that Shiki to gain complete control over your father, it has to kill you.”

A nearby Setsu guarding Takumi and Sango tightened his grip. “If he's lost like that… the beam will collapse on itself; then, this place will go off and a portal will give who knows what access to Osaka. If that happens and bastards from Kyoto catch wind, they’ll definitely take advantage,” explained another.

“You two, take Sango somewhere else but don't go too far,” the Setsu ordered, looking on to their decreased numbers. Only four remained, one of which was in the process of having his face crushed. 

Dredger’s neck snapped over in Sango's direction. “Though I'm having fun slaughtering you all, I'll have the main course now!” The beast applied pressure, splattering the Setsu's face before taking off right past the remaining three.

“Get going!” Takumi shoved Sango and ran towards his opponent. The two collided with Takumi’s fist landing against the crystallised crest. 

That tickles,” He heard the entity say, with a gleeful smile. “You’re so weak! I can't believe this fool struggled against you.” It continued on with its teasing as it grabbed a hold of Takumi's wrist. He swung his knee up, only for it to be caught. The monster flung Takumi away with Herculean force; the boy tried to stop the rotation, but didn’t have enough power to do so.

By the time he looked over, the two Setsus who looked after Sango were being choked out. It slowly released them from each hand as they foamed from their mouths and, with a single thrust of its hands, sent them flying.

Now, say goodbye!

“I beg of you!” Dredger tried to regain control to no avail. The crest within his chest cracked after it pumped like a heart. Two pumps grew to four, expanding the thin lines. It swung its arm like an axe, cutting down the Setsu who selflessly pushed Sango away.

Sango only lifted her arms helplessly. “Father!” she cried out, before feeling herself blown away.

Then, out of nowhere, Takumi recognized a familiar vibe. “Squirt!?”

Sango heard him, and couldn't believe it. “What!?” The same girl she saw drown now had her boot lodged through the monster they'd struggled against. Shards flew past her as the monstrosity screamed in agony; it plummeted to the floor overpowered by the sudden kick. Clusters of thick debris blew behind the girl as she dragged the beast across the ground like gum being scraped off of a shoe. 

In a flash, Takumi saw Haruna shoot out of the clouds rolling back in his direction. She landed, whipping over and forcing him to use his remaining strength to dodge. He was speechless at the sight of her unnatural pupils spinning about, until she fixed her gaze on him. “I thought you said she was dead! The hell happened to her!?” 

“She's alive!”

Ignoring the obvious fact, Takumi continued outmanoeuvring Haruna. She’s much stronger than usual, he thought as she missed him and he witnessed the impact send rocks flying by. Still... she’s even sloppier, crazier than she normally is. Just what happened to her? “Hanami?!” 

She only responded with a blind, loud cry; he turned away and dashed for some parked construction machines, with the girl easily catching up to him. He ducked and she continued, crashing through a windshield. Takumi felt his claws finally grow from his right hand. He swiped his hand aside to go at Haruna, but staggered to his knees as Haruna smashed her way out from within the vehicle’s window right towards him.

“Stop! Haruna!” Without thinking, Sango blurted out her name, attracting Haruna's attention. The girl then switched her target to Sango. A cloudy smoke spired around her, showing horrific faces in it as it seemed to be coming out of the Haruna herself. Takumi tried to stand, but the sudden pain kept him in place. She finally ran with a clenched fist straight towards Sango’s face. Sango flinched, huddling in place.

A few seconds later, she felt a cool breeze over her head. To her surprise, there stood a humanoid beast over her. With its extended palms, it prevented Haruna from striking Sango. “Fuck…” Takumi recognized what stood over Sango, recollecting a report Alto had given him. “That shiki… did it just save Sango?” It was the same one that decimated Naomi and Kiku's packs; the grotesque photos of the victims popped into his mind. No, there's no way it's on our side... That Hercules Shiki… “Sango, run!”

Haruna attacked again and the Shiki motioned its soggy foot; she spun right for the beast, who stopped her midway by catching her head. Its attempt at crushing it failed, as her pale horn blew out through its hand and expanded like thorny branches that flew for its neck. The Shiki jerked backwards, feeling the branches pierce into its shoulders as it lost its hold on Haruna who used the opportunity to jump back.

She swiftly landed, twisting herself onto the Shiki’s massive swinging forearm; to the surprise of Sango and Takumi, the giant found its arm twisted behind its back before Haruna forced it off balance with a yank. The ground below her caved in slightly. “No way!” The frail Hasegawa girl, the one he'd considered weak, overpowered two monstrosities back-to-back. Just what is she? The question played in Takumi’s head. “She’s no ordinary hum-”

A heart-shaking cry from her shook through Takumi's body, cutting his line of thought as an explosion of rubble flew by him; a booming echo overtook his hearing as his body crashed backwards. He forced himself to lean up, noticing Haruna floating mid-air, amongst twinkling snow. She came piercing down with her feet tearing into its chest but nothing happened, and she continuously slammed her fists viciously into the Shiki. 

Takumi grumbled in disgust at the display of mindless behaviour. A second later, the Shiki lifted its hand and swatted the girl off like a fly. “Hasegawa!” Takumi stood up and leapt for Haruna as her seemingly lifeless body flew through the air, headed towards him. As he caught her, he noticed the strange pale horn on her forehead crumble away. The ends of her crimson hair were starting to turn brown. Blood leaked from her temple, a scrape made when the Shiki struck her. Takumi tightly clenched his eyes, as strong temptations to consume blood flooded his instincts. 

He'd practically caught himself a meal, but pressed his chin over her head and looked around for Sango. His gaze posed on the woman who now had her lips on the beast’s nose, her hands on its bony cheeks. “Gio, Gio!” Her voice drowned in desperation. “Please don’t hurt them! They’re with me!” Her hands travelled to its chest, her nails soon clawing into its neck. 

“Drats,” Takumi blurted out, now distracted from Haruna's intoxicating scent. Tears streamed from the woman's face as the uncontrollable sobs only grew increasingly annoying to him. “Sango, get away from that thing before it decides to bite your face off,” he spoke aloud, but she only shook her head as she nuzzled her cheek against the Shiki. 

 Suddenly, the room became engulfed in a blinding light, forcing Takumi to face away as he tightly covered Haruna.

0