Chapter 43 Part 2 V4 [3]
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Kamino… do you mind if we take a walk?”

 

 “Not now, I’m close to determining the contents of the virus…” 

 

 His sights zeroed in the way the microscopic virus attacked cells he’d placed under the lens Kamino peered into. 

 

 “It contains a reactive toxin that’s eating away at the chemicals making the brain drowsy in the victims”  

 

 “That’s when the virus takes control of the afflicted Setsu” 

 

 “This sort of virus cannot be allowed to reach the other clans.” 

 

 “This isn’t the only plan those infiltrators are launching. If I were the enemy… I’d put the virus onto a target that I could then manipulate to further my aims. Whether it be through blackmail or-” 

 

 “Who that target could be… the most preferable...” Kamino laid a strange looking octopus on a wooden tablet and went about disemboweling the octopus for a particular content that he extracted while Fuchizaki moved closer to the table. 

 

 She reached him, resting her cold drink to the side of his neck. An awkward moment like the many they had passed as he shut his eyes. 

 

 “You should worry about your safety more. What if you blacked out? Don’t you see those bags under your eyes?!” She asked. “That’s clan makeup…” Kamino commented confusedly. “You should… know that” She lightly giggled under her breath, placing the drink down onto the table.  

 

 “The only one’s that’d have access or the power to hide those Strays… see if one of their families have fallen ill to the disease. The points of interest are going to be two clans that play a role in Osaka’s underbelly, it’s Kitchen”  

 “About operation paperclip” Fuchizaki cut in. 

 

 “The mission at that factory. Have the lab results concluded what we suspected?” She took a seat on the table, folding her legs while watching Kamino. 

 

“If you’re referring to the results of the bodies we retrieved about those victims then the results for that were the humans were turned into Shiki’s… Shiki’s were implanted while other humans were used to make what those Stray’s call…” 

 

 “Candies, is what they called it” Kamino went to a drawer, where he brought out two small transparent tubes. In it was a red shard that twinkled as Fuchizaki held it over her sights. 

 

 “Hmm… what are these used for?” 

 

 “From what was gathered by having ward hounds' taste, it’s made of the human’s sacrificed at that factory. But… it can also act as a marker. I feel they’ve been deliberately scattered to make it easier for the Strays to know whose who” 

 

 “Then that’s what they’ll be using as their supply line… but to distribute it… how many of them are there is the actual question” 

 

 “It’s safe to say there’s three working separately but have their own individual goals.” 

 

 “Why would you say that?” Fuchizaki eyed Kamino. 

 “From the memories collected.”

“Mmm, you have a point.” 

 “The memories gained from the battlefields, the corpses, the few Strays captured that couldn’t escape from the factory…” 

 

 “There’s three. One is that elusive group of strays that go by the name Bakafuu… the other group is Kogarashi. The third is whoever is working with the Okobura of Tokyo.” 

 

 “I’m sure of it.” Kamino returned to the table giving his back to Fuchizaki. 

 

 “If we can figure out how to nullify the disease that’s appeared then by trimming their numbers the problem will be resolved. Figure out the supply lines while I figure out the cure.” Explained Kamino. 

 

 “That’s what we’re working on as the Ikigai.” Fuchizaki responded in thought. 

 

 “But who's to say they haven’t already premeditated their limited time… they’ve infiltrated the clans, who's to say they haven’t gotten into the Ikigai already?” 

 

 “Because, you have to die” Suddenly the Fuchizaki Kamino thought was her, shifted into someone that slung a saber at him though he blocked it, the actual Fuchizaki entered the room surprised at the sight of Kamino being attacked. “Kamino!” Fuchizaki shouted. 

 

 “Good timing-” The Stray dove back, slapping it’s palm onto a table surface as Kamino and Fuchizaki noted the Stray placed a Gando zone in the room that Fuchizaki fought against by amplifying her Retsu. 

 

 Vibrations rotating around Fuchizaki and Kamino kept the red wave of the Gando zone from reaching them completely. 

 

 The Strays' actual form steadily revealed itself. A grey body suit made of spirals. 

 

 “Your timing was too perfect” Admitted the Stray as Fuchizaki’s eyes glared a bright violet that shot towards the Stray forcing it to rush for an air vent while Kamino raised his weapon. 

 “That… Stray, you were at the factory! The one that conceals it’s body!” 

 

 “Yes, yes Kombasa is the name. Do not mind me, I’m only here to get the layout and information on this place. Would you like to play a game of imposter this week?” 

 

 “To hell with you!” Fuchizaki sprung up to slash at the Stray with her duel sabers but the rubber that made it’s grey zippery suit stopped her saber as he tried to grab at her only for Fuchizaki to  freeze the gravity near the moving hand giving her enough time to rush back beside Kamino. 

 

 “Eyelash… Ondo Shimizu” Is what Kamino uttered. A spiraling swirl of aquatic water spread around the room, first as ripples that seemed to form out of the air, soon coming together in a bright swath of green waves protecting the many tubes the Ikigai had gathered. 

 

  The waves flew up towards the air vent, grabbing at Konbasa, who hadn’t expected such a trick. 

 

 Despite that, zippers opened in his suit, releasing limbs as Konbasa itself made it’s escape breaking into limbs that disappeared through the many air vents networks. Waves continued to accumulate until the door blew out of the lab’s entrance. Fuchizaki was quick to dive out into the chaotic hallway where the sirens blared. 

 

 “LOCKDOWN, we have an intruder in the 17th floors western sector!” 

 

 She heard over a radio. 

 

 “Other parts were hit by those Strays Kamino…” 

 

 “It’s fine, they won’t escape in time to give anything” 

 

 “So long as the Retsu was absorbed into it’s skin then it can’t escape my eyelash for the next 24 hours” 

 "Even so-"

 "It's alone.. I've gotten it's inner monologue. The pressure. I can feel the sense of urgency pulsing through its body. That tells me it's acting alone. It must have planted traps before this attempt. It gathered where it could find me... So if it knew of me, the question becomes who told it of me and is that eliminating me so important. Of course, that'd to buy them time to clip us Shousa’s." Clarified Kamino. 

 

 “You’re going alone?” 

 

 “They’ll take their chance to bring out their all… At least”

 

 “They should” Kamino calmly said with a feint smile Fuchizaki noticed. 

 

 “I can catch up faster and have an Ikigai pack trace the locator”

 

 "I'll go follow it alone to minimize casualties. Today’s going to be a busy day." Kamino stepped out with the intention to follow the Stray. He took steps through the overflowing water that pumped out of the lab, running down the hallway where he saw a Setsu with a mop. 

 "Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, this is too easy, he's actually following me! What a Shousa! That Setsu-” 

 

 “It’s pain painstakingly clear he’s sensing the chemical reactions I’m giving off”

 

 “That’s more unsuspecting for him but whatever, good for me. I'll get to dissect him myself and it's as the report said, he's keeping track of my emotions, the chemical responses of these limbs" The entire body suit continued to wiggle through the vents, until reaching a sewage clearing that it jumped to, swiftly swimming through the green gunk like a worm. 

 A strange sound filled the forest, the further Kamino followed. Thousands of insects chattering became louder the closer Kamino drew towards an opening into an unfamiliar cave in the depths of the feint forest. The forest he recognized, sitting just at the reaches of the Doma clan’s lands. 

 

 Kamino cautiously trotted through the dense forest path, finally reaching the mouth of a long abandoned cave. The evening sun, it’s strong heat struck him as it’s light glistened by his plated Ikigai uniform. 

 

 A long whistle continued to wail from the wind that passed above him into the cave. 

 

 He noticed the area near the entrance was filled with a looming white form of dust that seemed to turn into rotating dust clouds. 

 

 “Hello? This is Kamino Uesugi of Pack Five. The Stray that attacked has entered a particular cave… have backup on standby outside of the cave while I go in alone.” 

 

 Taking a step forward, he entered. 

 “Lady Cordelia, we received a find that’s been made by one of the Shuosas of the Ikigai”

 

 Azami and Ayami entered Miyumi’s office from their office room. 

 

 “Who would that be Aami?” 

 

 “Shousa Kamino. Reports have been sent by Fuchizaki. A sector of the Ikigai was attacked shortly after the meeting they were scheduled to have. This happened forty minutes ago.” 

 

 "Word travels quickly…" 

 

 “It’s something you may want to share with the elders and act upon hastily.”

 

 "Yes, the terrorists behind the attack are overstaying their welcome but..." 

 

 “Come now Azami. It’ll be done after the announcement. That’ll be done first Ayami. You two can use your judgments to select a time for me to address it to the rest of the clans.”

 

 “By order of importance.” 

 

 “Well, that would be at the Banquet.” Ayami finished her twins sentence. 

 

 “What’s in that report?” Miyumi reconsidered what she said for a second without turning to face the twin secretaries. Both twins spoke at the same time, staring at the back of Miyumi’s ear as Miyumi gripped the folders she held between her hands tighter. 

 

 “It’s about the old ritual site. It turns out the particular cave is actually Hirazawa’s old den. The veneration site has been occupied under our noses.” 

 

 “That’s in Doma territory.” 

 

 “For the Doma clan to not notice what was going on is most questionable and adds to the complaints made by the Ota clan.” 

 

 “But that’s too easy an answer to be accepted so we must gather more. Bring the Doma's clan tongue to the upcoming event.” 

 

 “What’s clear is... “ Azami tapped the tablet she had in hand. 

 

 “Tell me after the announcement” Miyumi caught onto the faint ding near her desk as she reached for a box that had a button on it on her desk. Miyumi pressed it, a wide range of speakers activating all throughout the campus. 

 

 Those in the school board ready to broadcast at a moment's notice. The faint ring was heard by many of the teachers that paused their teaching as the Students gazed up to the announcement box at the center of their homerooms. 

 

 "Stand," Miyumi said, leading all the students to stand, including Haruna. 

 

 “Hello and good morning to new bloods and all students in Hirazawa private high. This is an urgent announcement being broadcast to all schools in Honshu. I’m taking this moment now to address rumors. Yes, the current happens outside of our school, for the safety of our students but also your families.” 

 

 Every student listened in with a sense of unease. 

 

 “You’ve all heard about the incident that happened not too long ago. The first military protocol is true, that is underway as of today.” 

 

 “Extracurricular activities won’t be completely affected but… you will all be required to put most of those hours into the Ikigai’s efforts in subduing the enemy. We’ve been infiltrated by illegal strays, terrorists who are conspiring with hidden enemies whose motives are clear. They’ve gone as far as to recruit who we once thought were allies.” 

 

 “Each student will do after school work hours helping the nearest local Ikigai pack of their clan. If you see something, you tell your local Ikigai and if you suspect anything strange you report it to your teachers and the teaching staff.” 

 

Miyumi paused for a moment, keeping her hands clasped below her chin. Leaning into the mic, she spoke again. 

 

 "This is a matter of protecting our region." 

 

 "There have been enough casualties, we owe it to those harmed. We must capture the terrorists and traitors that plan to jeopardize innocent lives as if they haven't seen the poor results of that a thousand times" 

 

"Rest assured, their tactics are the same methods we've already caught onto so each of you are to work with your peers, you'll be assigned to a group of three with those closest to your local Ikigai." 

 

 "What?..." Osamu was shocked as was the rest of the silent class. 

 

 "Military protocol one." 

 

 "Await further instructions at the end of your school day. If any have to further be given, you'll receive emails instructing updated details and your teachers will log your hours helping the Ikigai." 

 

“Be warned: there may be classmates of yours willing to kill you if you discover they're part of the enemy."

 

 "Club activities will continue, except it will be done during morning hours until further notice." 

 

 Many of the students listening groaned. 

 

 "That will be all."

 

"I’m sure the enemy will expect this though… isn’t that right, father? Well, let the mind games begin.” Miyumi thought to herself as she hung up and leaned back into her seat.

 

 "Well class…” Ms.Tsuzuri began shortly after the announcement ended.  "We'll pick up where we left off."

 

Osamu raised his hand. "Ms.Tsu."

 

 "Yes?" Ms.Tsuzuri attentively gave the student a wide smile. 

 

 "I'd hate to be the one to say this but… our principal said there can be a murderer among us. How are you so carefree?"

 

 "Is it you?" Asked Ms.Tsuzuri to which Daiki shook his head furiously. 

 

 “Excuse me, what?” Osamu replied confused. 

 

 “Are you one of the murderers?” 

 

 “N-No ma’am!” 

 

 "Then sit down, stop worrying." 

 

 "Um- can we be excused from Homework for the assignments? Since we have the military protocol?"

 

 “You shouldn’t have said that…”

 

 “What?!” Then and there, Ms.Tsuzuri appeared beside the student, grabbing her arm as the student was flung out of an open window with a giant splash heard soon after. 

 

 "Oh you'd like that wouldn't you? You're still responsible for completing all assignments and turning them in only a day late if need be." 

 

 "If anyone else has questions about what the principal said, it will be answered at the end of the class." 

 

 "By the end of the school day you'll find your assigned group at your local Ikigai's district building."

 

 "I've already been given the documents you are to receive a physical copy of with your number."

 

 "The hours are mandatory. You'll be out for five hours patrolling areas the Ikigai assign you to." 

 

 "If you run into an enemy or anything suspicious, you aren't to engage straight away. Instead, you are to notify your immediate superior responsible for the Ikigai pack in that ward. If you encounter a stray, kindly ask for its ID to confirm that it's a legal Stray. Is that understood?” Ms. Tsuzuri paused and the class answered with a resounding “Yes!” 

 

 "Good. Now we'll return to the class topic." 

  

 Classes resumed with Ms.Tsuzuri turning around to face the board. Holograms appeared once more showing maps on one section and flower diagrams on the other. 

 

 “Each geographical location holds diverse amounts of flowers as do all species.”

 “Some say the actual roots of many human species begins with plants, but mutations occur whether natural or manipulated. The answer can be seen in how a species is used.” 

 

“Flowers come in varying colors that connect them to different light spectrums. As such, each has different effects on different organisms. The flowers react to both the physical and metaphysical. The effects of what sustains life in this space can't be ignored.”

 

 “Only in imprisoned civilizations is this information not given to its collective. In the enemy civilizations controlled by the Reptilians, the souls that end up in that area are kept ignorant, making it easy for them to be preyed on. The goal is to figure out what you will individually do to take down that corrupt civilization and bring it to reformation.”

 

 "The planet has a total of 12 grand constellations that look after its wellbeing and each plays a role in the strengths of flowers. Constellations that manifest are reflective of the heavens’ goodwill, a will that sends parts of itself down into the earthly sphere. That's why you have souls that arrive on the planet during specific months. For Honshu, the constellation is liger.”

 

“There’s a difference between natural genetic evolution and unnatural genetic manipulation. Because the mind behind it isn’t operating from a state of being an extension of co-creation, the mind that does unnatural genetic manipulation comes from a place of abuse and twisted limited psychology given to it by certain parasites.” 

 

“That is the purpose of the Nie Hirazawa’s arrival. The Nie lay through three rainy seasons deep near the mountainous terrains it'd landed in until eventually being found by the goddess of Hokkaido, the constellation of Himiko. She nursed Hirazawa to health using the flowers known as Himiko, and as compensation, the Nie swore to forever serve her, who also swore to bring about proper balance to the realm.” 

 

“As you will learn, every other flower has a similar account of their Nie’s interactions. The flowers are the color of the light spectrum they're most affected by. As you've all been taught by now, there are presently many different planes of existence. Many realms exist on different spectrums and frequencies. Anyway, this flower talk is a means to prepare you for the project you’ll have.”

 

“Each of you will be paired into groups of four and you’ll each do part of the research for a specific flower. You all can take a moment to agree on a flower. After that, you will provide the historical context of when the flower was first encountered, its properties, its uses, its effects, who named the flower, what sort of research has been conducted on it, et cetera. You’re in charge of a full extensive research.”

A bell rang, signaling it was time for lunch. 

 

 “That is enough for the flower project, now you can pair into groups and go meet with your groupmates while having lunch.” Ms.Tsuzuri said.

 

 “About the military…” Haruna couldn’t help but think back to what Takumi said back at the factory. “This whole marriage is a set up.” 

 

 “It can’t be… not with the determination and truthfulness of Alto and Miss Cordelia. Not to mention, the maids and my friends…” 

 

 “Haruna,” Minami repeated in an attempt to snap her friend out of it, but Hanami continued to stare at the cover of her red booklet. 

 

It wasn’t until Minami placed a hand on her shoulder that the young Hasegawa snapped out of her thoughts. 

 

 “Are you worried about the announcement?” 

 

 “You read my mind?” 

 

 “Not really but it was a guess” Minami replied with a half smile. 

 

 “Sorry about that, I can’t help but worry for everyone outside of school.” 

 

 “Gotcha. It can’t be helped though. You’d mess up your brain worrying too much, so I say focus on what can be done now.”

 

“That is, try some cooking. Veil already went off to some fancy cooking club’s kitchen. Let’s go!” Minami took Hanami’s hand, leading her out as the other students went about their own way, meanwhile Osamu and Chocho stared at Minami leading Haruna out of the room. 

 

 

 “This should be the place.” 

 

  When they got there, they found some stuff was already in the process of being made. 

 “Wow Veil, this place sure is spacious” Minami instantly became dazzled by the kitchen and it’s equipment. 

  “Hi, the cooking class is letting me use the place.” 

 

 “I was here earlier to get started on some recipes.” 

 

 

 Veil explained as she prepared a sauce. All the while Haruna found herself dumbfounded. 

 

‘This is the kitchen Takumi and I hid in before!’ Haruna thought to herself, remembering when the two of them snuck in to escape the girls chasing after the prince.

“Why did it have to be here of all places…” 

“How did you get access to the kitchen?” she asked Veil. “Isn’t it usually only staff that are allowed back here?”

“Yes, but I helped out the cooking club before, so the older members decided to let me use it as long as I continue helping whenever possible,” Veil explained, stirring ingredients in a small bowl. Relaxing upbeat tunes continued playing in the background. 

Haruna’s eyebrow twitched a bit as she wondered out loud, “Then I feel like we might be taking advantage of your kindness, eh?”

“Oh, I don’t mind! We can hang out … in here” Veil replied sweetly as Minami patted her head.

 “And about your shoes… I’ll return them soon” 

 

 “You don’t have to do that, use them until I help get you one’s that can fit” Haruna commented while her eyes wandered to some carts that had bean paste. 

Veil gently poured the sauce she prepared onto a plate, which Minami took the liberty of tasting. “Mmm, yummy!” “Try adding some mashed peaches to it! Here” Minami rolled up her sleeve, taking a knife from the nearby racket and got a peach from the cooler that was in the cabinet below them. 

 “How’d you tell that’s in there?” 

 “It’s the scent Haruna” Minami responded with a cheery smile. 

“Oh, I wanted to ask you girls something,” Veil said, pulling a pan of rolls out of the oven. “I have a list on the counter there with things I need from the lunchroom. Um … would you mind getting them for me while I prepare things here?”

“We don’t mind at all!” Haruna piped, picking up the note as Minami nodded. “To the lunchroom! Cut those peaches while I go!” 

 

 Veil agreed. 

 “Jeez, a peach flavored pie … I’ve never had that before” 

 

 “They’re super-super good! I learned that one while on a trip to this-” The girls chattered, opening the entrance that led to the lunchroom. What awaited them wasn't what they expected. 

 

When they arrived, they saw a group of girls huddled around in a circle. 

 

“This is what happens to those that grovel in debt on this Holy campus. Stupid lowly humans put themselves where they don’t belong. You couldn’t pay your dues, so you must pay with your life.” 

 

Hanami pushed by a group of students, finding a way to the front with Minami. They looked up to see a boy dangling over a railing at a massive height. At the very top, someone Haruna recognized. It angered her to see them all up there. The leader seated on a throne. 

 

Haruna recognized the girls as none other than the Divas, who she’d encountered earlier that day. As Haruna picked up her pace a bit, she could hear them mocking the boy and shouting something about rules to the other students around them.

 

“YOU GUYS AGAIN!” Hanami shouted, rushing in to try and stop them. She could feel her blood boiling inside as she became angrier the closer she got towards the stairs but was forced to stop when something fluttered over her head. 

 

One of the Divas turned and laughed at Haruna, throwing a stack of papers in the air that fluttered around and spread out along the floor. Some students picked up a few of them, as did Haruna. On the paper was a picture of her in a transporting cage with chains wrapped around her neck.

Laughing again, Olga – the leader of the Divas – mocked loudly standing up from her throne seat, “It didn’t take too long to get this information! We have trash in the royal school of Hirazawa trying to change the rules and make demands, when she’s nothing more than stool on the heel of the Hasegawa!” 

 “Look here everyone!” 

 “A reject from Hokkaido!” They bursted out in laughter while the students on the lower floor remained silent. The crooked laughs of the Divas echoed in the room. 

Hanami couldn’t believe what she was seeing, her mouth agape in offense at the Divas words. One of the papers laid in front of Haruna’s shoes. She lifted it in disbelief. There was no mistaking that it was her own face in the picture.

“How could they have gotten this picture?” Haruna asked herself.

Students around them whispered as Minami spouted, “How could that be Haruna? You must’ve doctored that photo just to mess with her! You girls must be jealous of her to do something like that!”

Olga’s expression turned more serious as the Diva next to her turned around and dropped down in a squat before jumping forward into the air. Her heel clicked as she stepped off of the bar rail. She landed on a table, stomping her heel in the middle and splitting it in half. The force, sending a shockwave towards the group of students. The right half of the table floated beside her as she kicked it forcefully toward Minami. “G-GHah!” Minami was able to dodge the table flying at her, but didn’t realize the girl was rushing towards her right behind it.

“Watch out!” Haruna shouted, seeing the Diva’s incredible sprint.

Regardless, her warning was too late, as Minami only managed to quickly guard her face before being hit with the girl’s full force. She was shot back across the room, crashing into another table. 

“NO!” Haruna screamed, rushing to try and get by Minami’s side. 

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a second Diva blitzing for her, and only had enough time to throw herself to the floor in order to duck the girl’s attack. She landed face-first as the Diva flew over her, Haruna continued rolling for a moment before crashing to a halt. The persistent Diva turned around the second she missed and attempted to stomp down on Haruna, who pushed herself into rolling again to avoid it until she was able to catch the girl’s foot with her own hands. 

 As she stood over Haruna, she bent down and spat at her, continuing to push her foot down against Haruna’s hands. Hasegawa attempted to kick the other foot out from under her, but found her efforts to be ineffective as she couldn’t quite reach to apply the force needed.

“Weak human trash...” the Diva hissed as Haruna struggled to combat her strength. “How dare they send this thing here! To Osaka?! Cursed outsiders!” 

Haruna slowly lost the fight as the girl’s weight became stronger and stronger. Haruna’s hands finally slipped and the foot crushed down on her stomach. “Y-You might wanna lose some weigh-” Haruna attempted to say but was silenced. An intense pain resonated throughout her abdomen, knocking the wind out of her lungs for a few seconds. The Diva pressed harder, amplifying the pain as Haruna shouted in agony. 

“HARUNA!” Minami stood up from the mess of tables and began running towards them, but stopped in her tracks when she saw a third Diva walking by calmly and side-eyeing her.

“In this school, there are rules,” the leader began, watching the fight. “Rules that mean the strong dominate, and the weak understand their place.”

“Get out of my way!” Minami yelled at the Diva, her eyes shifting into slits as her Setsu side kicked in. Vibrations sizzled along Minami’s body. 

 “That is an example of the external world you live in …” 

 “Only us full blooded Setsu have a right to rule and someone like you will never be accepted to rule the whole of Japan or th-”

“W-Who says I even w-” Hanami struggled to remain conscious as she screamed at the second wave of pressure placed. 

“You’re … going to regret this,” Minami growled, her fangs growing behind her clenched fists she kept in front of her face. 

The lunch room floor around Minami started cracking as she clenched her fists, rippling the atmosphere around her body. The Diva standing before her scoffed, flicking one side of her hair back over her shoulder. Minami then felt her Retsu being drained, making her struggle to use any around her. But it wasn’t any one person draining her – it was the room itself. 

‘That can only mean that the school was designed this way,’ she thought, ‘so that Setsu students can’t use our capabilities so easily! Crap, this is bad!’

The leader smiled devilishly, looking at Haruna as she went on to explain, “I’m Olga, the daughter of a noble Rikuto from the Sakaguchi clan. I was informed of your arrival, but I don’t see what’s so special about human trash like you. My older sister is a friend of your sister. As such, it’s a privilege to make your school life a living hell – so you’ll learn that you can’t escape your fate.”

 “Hanami Hasegawa”

 “Hanami?...” The sudden mention of that name surprised Minami, who tried to focus back on the enemy. 

 “Th...That’s not my name” 

 “It is!” Olga spat. “Who do you think you’re fooling?!” 

Haruna clenched her eyes shut, shocked by what she was hearing as the Diva’s foot continued to press into her. Suddenly, students were rushing out of the area and Olga heard a familiar voice call out.

“Olga, what do you think you’re doing? Causing more trouble?”

Olga turned to see a woman wearing a day patrol uniform, then briefly sucked on her tooth at the interruption. “Sana… it had to be you.”

 “Fighting 9th graders? Your underclassmen? Is this anyway a senior should behave? Disgusting,” the day patrol officer said.

Olga leaned toward Haruna and spit in her direction before saying, “You won’t be so fortunate next time. Let’s get going, girls.”

The Divas followed her, as Haruna coughed deeply as she held her stomach with shaking hands. Olga locked her hands together behind her back as she walked away, looking over her shoulder at the boy they had been heckling and smiled.

“Kurei, dear, do remember to leave a letter of resignation unless you’re able to come up with that fee you owe the school,” she told him nonchalantly with a devious wink. “Or else your father’s losing his job... and maybe more.” Olga’s sights returned to Haruna. 

 “As for you, little shit, if we catch you outside of school... you’re dead,” Olga warned. 

Haruna’s sight was hazy as she looked toward the door that swung open and poured light inside. Olga and her group disappeared into the light as Haruna tried to stand up, opting to kneel when she struggled to get on her feet.

“Take it easy,” the woman in the uniform approached Haruna. “Are you okay?”

“I-I’m fine, but the boy...” she answered shakily.

She looked over and saw Minami approaching, teary-eyed. Minami wouldn’t look directly at her.

“What’s wrong, Minami?”

“Sorry I couldn’t... help you there,” she answered, ashamed. “I tried to, but this room...”

“It’s designed to keep students from acting recklessly,” Sana told them.

“No, Minami,” Haruna started. “I’m sorry that you got mixed up in the fight. Are you hurt?”

“I’m alright. I’d avoid this language if I could, but... I’m just mad I couldn’t rip that smile off that bitches face …” 

“What was their deal anyway?” Haruna frowned. 

“I’ll always have your back; so the next time the Divas show up, we’ll deal with them together.”

Finally able to stand with Sana’s help, she added, “They spit at me! She ruined my uniform! And that girl knows Angia... no wonder they’re causing trouble.”

“Who’s Angia?” Minami couldn’t help but ask. 

“She’s my sister,” Haruna lamented, sorrowfully slumping her shoulders. “The same sister who...” 

She trailed off, recalling when she was a child trying to play with Angie many times, only to be constantly mistreated by her. Spacing out a bit, she imagined a colorful, festive ball in her hand as it warped into the hand of a child.

Spotting someone across from her, she held it up and happily tossed it over. The ball slowly rolled towards the figure, who didn’t return it. 

There were other figures eyeing Haruna as she maintained a faint smile and called out, “Angie! Kick it back!” 

Instead, the figure placed her foot on top of the ball and started to press down. The small girl watched as the ball got squished further and further, finally popping under the pressure.

The pop shocked Haruna out of the flashback. “I’m not surprised she’d go so far...”

 

 “Hanami… Hasegawa?” Minami thought to herself, observing Haruna closely. 

 

 “I’m aware of how important this basketball business is for you Tak but shouldn’t we organize and track down the terrorists? You heard the announcement Miyumi made.” 

 

 “We’ll all talk about it later tonight, so buzz off” Takumi walked ahead of both Rae and Sanosuke. To their surprise, they noticed someone familiar Takumi passed by without saying a single word. 

 

 “Fancy meeting you in Hirazawa Luu” 

 

 “Rae?” 

 

 “What are you doing here sneaking into the region without even texting us?” Rae locked an arm around Luu who yawned and found himself pulled along into walking with them. 

 

 “I got here and started work right away.”

 

 “Work?”

 

 “Safeguarding someone.”

 

 “Who?” 

 

 “My… fiance” 

 

 “You have one too?!” 

 

 “Country road” 

 

 “Sounds like the opposite of someone I know” 

 

 “There’s some grounds to expand since Takumi’s allowed infiltrators into Hirazawa and we have to stop that.” 

 

 “Do you hear me Takumi? Selfish a**-” 

 

 “F*** off” Takumi said, walking ahead of them as his ear perked but he focused on where he was going while the three observed and Sanosuke laughed. 

  

 Ashikaga Tohamu locked eyes with the prince, feeling a powerful animosity between their gaze; it gave him an uneasy feeling, but he wasn’t going to back down to a freshman. He didn’t know what his intentions were, so he masked his hesitance with an air of confidence.

 

“Come on,” he said to the other 11th graders, straightening his posture. “Do you really have to talk to those freshmen?! Ashikaga!” 

 

They approached Takumi together, Ashikaga at the forefront and the others spread out behind him. Sanosuke, Rae, and Luu didn’t know what Takumi was doing – or what was about to go down – but they stayed at his side regardless.

“What do you want, freshman?” Ashikaga asked. “You’ve got something to say to us?”

“I’m not here to fight... not with fists, anyway,” Takumi answered confidently. “I’m here to challenge you to a game.”

“Did … he just say what I think he said?” Osamu blinked. 

The 11th graders exchanged looks, then laughed for a moment before Ashikaga spoke again. “Are you serious? With only four of you? You need another player.”

Sanosuke then shrugged at Takumi. “I don’t even play basketball.”

“I only box,” Rae added.

“That’s even worse,” the 11th grader Okahisa replied. “You can’t face us without a team” 

He went on to say, “You don’t even have a full team kid!” but was overshadowed by Ashikaga saying the same.

Takumi ignored Okahisa, speaking to Ashikaga, “I have no problem getting a team together. It shouldn’t take much to beat you and your lackeys anyway.”

“Quite the mouth on you kiddo” Ashikaga grinned. 

“Hey, I’m the one who challenged your team!” Okahisa spoke up, trying to get into Takumi’s sight. “Tohamu interrupted me!”

Yorita laughed at Okahisa, tugging on the back of his shirt and telling him, “Chill out, dude. Let him handle it.”

 “Ah, whatever” Okahisa sighed. 

Takumi continued to ignore them, staring silently at the leader as they talked amongst each other. Ashikaga held his gaze, trying to figure out why a new kid would be challenging them. “Why not just join the team yourself? Why stick your neck out for a loser like Yuuichi?”

“Cuz’ he’s a good player we could use here. I intend to rule over Hirazawa”

 “What?!”

 “Cocky little …” Ashikaga was going to step forward, but the guys locked his arms, preventing him from striking Takumi. 

 

‘He must have some ulterior motive. No way it’s just a game.’

“Look, I know you have something against Yuuichi,” Takumi finally said.

‘Huh, so that’s what it is,’ Ashikaga thought before replying. “And?”

“Well, you want him out of the team, right? The fastest way to do that is to beat him fairly under terms he can agree to.”

The loudmouth was suddenly quiet, crossing his arms and considering Takumi’s words.

“I’ll join Yuuichi and Bentei; we’ll sort everything out. You don’t have to do anything but show up. And we’ll have the game Friday after classes.”

The guys behind Ashikaga all shook their heads, mumbling about doctor’s appointments and other pre-made plans. But Ashikaga himself let a smirk grow on his face.

“Alright, we’ll do it,” he agreed, much to the disappointment of his friends. “ I don’t agree with how you claim you’ll rule Hirazawa … but I like how you set things up – really taking initiative on this. It’s a great way for us to get rid of Yuuichi, actually... that is, if he isn’t sissy enough to back out.”

“I’ll get him to join, trust me,” Takumi told him, not breaking his determined expression. “Just be there.”

The 11th graders turned to head back into their building. As they walked away, Ashikaga said over his shoulder, “Whatever. You’re making it too easy for us.”

With them gone, Sanosuke spoke up, “I guess that concludes our visit to this school wouldn’t you say?”

“I’m going to find Yuuichi,” Takumi answered, turning to walk in another direction. “You guys can do whatever you want.”

“How cold of him,” Sanosuke laughed, looking over to see that Luu had disappeared. “Luu must’ve snuck off when they were talking – I guess he’s cruel, too! Those jerks ...”

Rae patted Sanosuke’s shoulder. “It’s alright, we can still hang out! I have a request to do later, so we should get over to the island house now.”

“That reminds me, I have to go see how Yoshigawa’s keeping up after,” Sanosuke said. “Let’s go set up for tonight!”

“Yeah, that’s a great idea!” Rae agreed with a nod. 

 

Takumi speed-walked as he checked a school map projecting from his watch. It led him to the 10th grade building where students were preparing for classes. He walked by as they put their things into pod-like lockers along the hallway walls. Spotting a kid from Yuuichi’s class, he approached quickly before he walked away from his pod.

“Ay, do you know where I can find Yuuichi?”

“Uh, not really,” the student responded. “I’ve been avoiding him. Other students have, too – you know, because of the 11th graders’ threats.”

“I don’t give a rat’s ass,” Takumi said, irritated at the lack of cooperation. He gripped the student’s shirt collar and pulled him closer. “Where is he? Spill it or I’ll spill your blood across this floor!” Takumi purposely spouted with a faint annoyed smile. 

“Woah! WOAH!” The guy freaked out. 

“Agh! Uh, maybe he’s on the rooftop! He usually goes up there for lunch!”

Takumi let go and smiled slightly. “Thanks. Sorry about that.”

The student watched, confused, as Takumi made his way down the hall. Walking up the stairs, he got to the rooftop and found Yuuichi laying on his back with his hands behind his head. Yuuichi continued to silently toss a pebble into the air, catching it everytime it almost dropped on his nose. “There you are” Takumi shut the metallic door behind himself. Yuuichi didn’t really pay much attention until Takumi lightly kicked Yuuichi’s side, making him slap the foot away and lean up to question who else was up there. Takumi turned his head and saw Bentei sitting on top of a large vent, a bird perched on his knee while other birds pecked at small seeds he had scattered on the rooftop. 

“Freshie, what do you want from me?” Yuuichi questioned.

“I got the 11th graders to agree to a match versus you, myself, and three others,” Takumi told him, watching Yuuichi’s expression turn to annoyance as he laid on his side.

“Why did you go and do that?”

“Have you forgotten our game? And your desire to play?”

“No, but there’s no way we can win against them!” Yuuichi protested, Takumi remaining silent. “They’re too good with Teddy mans, we’ll lose in no time!”

“Teddy mans?” Takumi asked, raising an eyebrow. 

“He’s a really strong defensive player, an inner man for the streak sweepers. Our upperclassmen.” Bentei responded, drawing Takumi’s attention. 

“Last year we would have won if it weren’t for me getting jumped and Teddy got a really bad stomach ache”

“Irresponsibility” Takumi sighed. 

 “Even so, he’s no laughing matter. He’s only in 11th grade but nearly no one can steal. Teddy is the go to guy for rebounds and blocks on this team.” 

“Us against those jerks? Just drop it, man.”

“There is no dropping it,” the prince told him sternly. “We have to play. And we have to win. When we do, you’ll be on the team. It’s that simple.”

Yuuichi leaned up further and thought about it a moment. “Freshie, you’re leading me into a world of trouble – you know that?”

Takumi smirked, “Can’t be as bad as the grief you gave me in the first game here.”

“When is the game?” Bentei asked, the bird that was on his knee now pecking along with the others. Two landed on his curly afro hair. 

“It’s this Friday after school,” Takumi answered before looking back to Yuuichi. “Three days from now.”

“Well, there’s me, Benny, you...” Yuuichi counted on his fingers. “And that friend of yours?”

“Nah, he’s not in the best state right now,” Takumi sighed, slipping his fingers through his soft orange hair. “That was just a one-time thing he did so we could hang out.

“So we have to find a few more to play with us. That’s on you, freshie.”

“Yeah, yeah... I hear ya.” He ruled out Rae and Sanosuke instantly. “They weren’t much help last summer against Taro and those pricks…”  

 “What’s with that brother of yours anyway? Why’d he not finish his last year here?" Yuuichi flicked a pebble against the rooftop gate Takumi moved towards. 

A breeze blew overhead, taking with it Takumi’s attention as he glanced up to the vast lime atmosphere. He then sneezed, making him wonder if someone, somewhere, was talking about him.

 

 The limesky soon turned a dark orange shade allowing the passage into a sunset. 

 

 The school’s clocktower rang. Students flocked out of the many buildings, some enthusiastic while others were depressed, seen in the way they walked defeated towards the many steps leading down to the lower gated exits of the campus. 

 

 

0