13: Sweet Conflict
298 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Danika woke up late the next morning, with a jolt of anxiety. And then she realized that this was her second day off and that she wasn't late for anything. She'd skipped her exercises the day before though, so she did those first. The time they'd set for their guild creation wasn't scheduled until afternoon.

Aishin was supposed to have the day off too, but there was no morning greeting from him waiting, so she assumed he was still asleep. Danika had kind of wanted to ask if they could meet up again, but she wasn't sure how long creating their guild would take, or what he had to do the next morning. He hadn't mentioned the possibility, so she hadn't asked.

She gazed at her phone and then wrote: "Morning." After a moment she added uncertainly: "Are you free this evening after the guild creation?"

She hovered indecisively over the send button for another long moment. Finally she sent it. A rippling chime rang faintly outside her door, and Danika looked up in surprise. A second later someone knocked.

She told herself firmly that it was coincidence, and scooted over to open her door. Shinichi grinned back at her when it swung open, he was holding his phone awkwardly, because he was carrying two paper bags, and looked to be trying to tap out a reply.

"Um, surprise?" he announced. He put his phone away and then held out the bags he was carrying. They smelled like food. He added nervously, "I thought, since we both have the whole day off? And I brought breakfast, if you haven't eaten yet." He looked her over with an uncomfortable expression when she didn't immediately respond.

Danika blushed. She gathered herself, reached for the nearest bag and replied, "Um, you can come in." She scooted quickly over to her kitchenette counter and set the bag on it.

She avoided his gaze as he pulled the door shut behind him and crawled onto the floor behind her. She felt half naked in her pajamas, even though she was decently covered. She was extremely conscious that she hadn't bathed yet and probably smelled of sweat.

Shinichi asked uncertainly, "Is it ok? You seem…"

Danika finally turned and met his eyes. She lifted her chin and said firmly, but with embarrassment, "It's fine, I'm really happy to see you. I was trying to ask if I could see you tonight. I'm just…" she couldn't think of a better way to say it, "not even dressed yet."

He blinked at her, and then grinned and asked, "That's what you sleep in?"

"Yes," she replied defensively. Her legs were wrapped in a long, soft and narrow skirt wrap that velcroed on and was easier to get on and off than pants. It was patterned in large rainbow scales. Her soft t-shirt styled tunic with two large pockets at the bottom said, "Bite Me" in a scrawling feminine script with little flowers around it. "What do you sleep in?" she asked challengingly.

His grin widened and he replied succinctly, "Skin." Danika stared at him for a moment and his grin faltered. "At home," he clarified. After another moment he added nervously, "But when I'm not at home I wear pajama pants and a t-shirt sometimes."

Danika felt somehow reassured and amused by his quick change from amusement to uncertainty. She arched an eyebrow and asked teasingly, "Sometimes?"

"Usually," he corrected with a hint of a blush to his own cheeks. Then he asked uncertainly, "Do you want me to leave while you get… um, until you're ready?"

She frowned at him and replied, "That sounds, I don't know, unfriendly, and kind of pointless?"

"I should have warned you that I was coming instead of trying to surprise you," he admitted. "I don't know what to do to make you feel more comfortable now."

She straightened and said, "I am kind of embarrassed, but it's really ok, as long as you don't mind waiting around while I take a quick bath and get dressed."

"I don't mind," he declared quickly. "But your sleepwear is really cute, so you don't need to feel embarrassed about it."

Danika didn't explain that that wasn't the really embarrassing part. The embarrassing part was that he was going to be able to hear her bathing, but if he hadn't thought of it, she definitely wasn't going to point it out. He had offered to leave while she got ready, but like her logic in allowing his wish that he could sleep over on a futon, if she couldn't trust him she shouldn't be dating him.

They ate first, while the pastries were still warm, and then she got ready. It was embarrassing, but his reaction when she came out fully dressed was funny. "A five minute bath!?" He looked scandalized too.

"Well, you were out here waiting, so I hurried a little," she admitted cheerfully.

"A little?" he questioned.

She laughed and then asked, "How long do you spend?"

"Well, I do take five minute showers," he admitted. "But baths should be at nearly half an hour? Or so? I feel like anything shorter is a waste of hot water?"

"You're upset because I wasted hot water?" she asked incredulously.

He shrugged. "Sorry, it's none of my business, and I guess you have to use that much water either way." He looked at her conflicted expression and crawled over to her and reached for her hand.

Danika was startled, but the warmth of his hand was really nice. She looked at him questioningly though.

Shinichi said seriously, "I didn't mean to upset you. You can tell me when I'm saying stupid stuff."

She squeezed his fingers lightly and replied with amusement, "I'd rather hear the," she made air quotes with her other hand, "stupid," and then reached out with a boldness that surprised even herself, and tapped his forehead and then let her fingers slide down to rest against his cheek, "stuff that you're thinking, and talk about it. It's ok if we don't agree about everything isn't it? But I really feel like it rains so often here that bath water shouldn't be a big concern?"

He closed his eyes and leaned his cheek into her hand, while at the same time contradicting her with his words, "They've proved that we're reducing the water tables worldwide. Underneath did a music video for the awareness campaign, so we looked it up to see if it was a real thing, and it is."

Danika giggled, and he opened his eyes and looked at her. "Okay," she agreed, "I'll try to become more conservative about my water use in the future."

He sat up straight, ending her contact with him, except for the hand he still held and protested, "I wasn't trying to tell you that you have to change."

Danika thought grumpily that people who wanted a partner taller than they were obviously didn't want to be the ones to initiate a kiss, but she really wanted to kiss him for his sweetness.

Instead she replied, "I don't mind compromising on something like this." She warned him, "But there may be things that you think are more important than this in the future that I won't want to compromise on. And I'm sure you'll have things too." When she said the next sentence, she worried about how he would take it, but she thought that it was true, "It's too naive to think that neither of us will have to make changes."

Shinichi winced, but he only gripped her hand tighter. Danika watched his face nervously. He took a deep breath and then let it out. Then he scooted closer and wrapped his arms around her and mumbled into her hair, "I can't quite believe that you're really real. You're really talking about a future with me. I'll try Danika."

She let herself sag into his embrace and let out a relieved breath that she hadn't realized that she'd been holding. She was disappointed when he pulled back so he could look into her face after just a moment. But what he said next made her laugh.

"I'll finish growing up soon," he promised.

"Me too," she agreed laughingly.

They had to break up their cuddly scene a while later when both of their alarms went off to remind them to log in to create their new guild. But Danika got a warm fuzzy feeling from the fact that they'd both chosen the same reminder time. Even if it was only the little things, they had a lot in common.

15