Book II: Episode 99 – Valley of a Hidden Storm 3 ‘Training in the Lake!‘
653 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Patron of April 2020

✵ Bronze Membership✵

(Morgan B) (Armin Ts) 

❆ Platinum Membership ❆

 (Janet) (Thronedplatypus) 

❖ Diamond Membership ❖

(Allison) (Cakeboss) (Tamara) (Jen C.)

Thank you so much for your support!  It really means a lot!


Episode 99 - Valley of a Hidden Storm 3 ‘Training in the Lake!‘

It took the children 20 minutes to walk to the ‘Lake’ for their last training session of the day. On the way, Zene’s trainees gave the Paladins some history/information about the supposed ‘lake’. And apparently, this ‘lake’ is connected to the Royal family’s lake. This ‘lake’ would become a ‘river’ every half a year, and flush out water into the ocean. How they manage to stop the flow of the river and turn it into a lake? … That’s classified information.

Anyways, because the water is still, it is called a Lake. And because this lake comes from the Royal Lake, knights would often come to soak and swim to receive ‘blessings and luck’ from the Royal Lake.

Even though the lake can technically be called ‘used water’ from the Royal Lake, it is clean. Like the Royal Lake, the lake in front of them looks just as graceful as its mother lake. The calmness of the lake reflected the clear blue sky, inviting the children to take a dip.

With their training gears switched out for lighter clothes, the children stood in a straight line, waiting for Commander Kal to arrive. Everyone was busy trying to calm each other down, whilst Eugene was the only one who was carefree of any worries. Why? Because she knew how to swim. From people muttering here and there, she came to find out that… no one, besides her, knew how to swim!!

WHY?!

‘The Veria mountain has a body of river and lake they sometimes go-to for picnics!’ Eugene glanced silently between Louis, Ramon, Aeselak, and Aedelak. And sure enough, from their facial expressions, they never once swam there! Why though?

Before Eugene could question the Veria children, a voice came from above. “Ladies can choose to skip this training session.”

Everyone jolted back in surprise before someone from the group pointed to the tree above them.

“!!”

There, Commander Kal stood, watching them with a smile. His peerless beauty, together with the sun shining on him made everyone gasp in shock. This surprise shocked them more than the weird place Commander Kal chose to appear at.

Commander Kal slightly chuckled before jumping down from a tree 20 meters high. Naturally, 99% of people jumping down from this height would lead to deaths, yet, Commander Kal gracefully landed before the children, as if he jumped down from a 2-centimeter tree.

‘.... He’s not human…’ Eugene blinked.

Commander Kal smiled at Aeselak, Aedelak, Eugene, and Euria, waiting for their answers.

“What are you going to do, Eldest miss?” Aedelak asked Eugene worriedly. Her heart slightly knew what Eugene’s answer would be yet, she still asked, in case her heart was wrong.

“Naturally, swim,” Eugene answered without glancing towards Aedelak.

With a shaking voice, Aedelak pleaded.“Oh.. miss... Can you not swim?” Her voice nervously cracked as she asked.

Eugene raised her brows at Aedelak and finally turned her head to look at her. “....” She stared speechlessly at Aedelak’s whose forehead was covered with sweat.

“.... Why?” Eugene spoke softly. Confused at Aedelak’s reaction, and confused at Aedelak’s sudden request.

“I…” Aedelak hesitated. “I’m not too fond of water… and I don’t think I can swim…” Aedelak whispered nervously.

“Can Eldest miss please not swim? I won’t be able to care for you…” Aedelak pleaded again.

‘... So there’s something Aedelak can’t do?’ Eugene watched Aedelak, intrigued.  “I will swim,” Eugene said determinedly to Aedelak’s horror.

What if she one day fell into the water and found out she couldn’t swim? That would be terrible! Not finding that out now would be a mistake! That’s why she was firm with her decision.

Seeing that Aedelak’s face went pale, Eugene sighed. “You need not follow me. I’ll be careful.” When she saw that Aedelak was still not convinced, Eugene further added.

“There is Louis.”

Yet, as soon as she said Louis’s name, Aedelak suddenly jolted in shock. As if his name plus swim is the biggest taboo of her life.

“......” Eugene blinked. ‘Don’t tell me that Louis pushed Aedelak into the water as a prank one day when they were children. And that this eventually led to their childhood friendship declining.’ Eugene’s detective radar popped out from her head as she sensed some distorting radio wave.

‘... Nah.. that can’t be true.’ Eugene shook her head, slapping her antenna back in.

“Alright, Eldest Miss. Please be safe. This one, I really can’t...” Aedelak sighed, shaking her head to calm her heart.

“Sister… don’t go… Brothers don’t go…” Euria’s nervous voice whispered. She watched as everyone got ready.

“Are you worried?” Aernest patted Euria’s head.

“.... It’s scary there... Don’t go..” Euria looked at Aernest, Louis, and Ramon with a frown on her face.

“ Euria.” Eugene sighed. “It’ll be fine.” She reassured this roommate of hers.

Euria pouted before nodding. “Be safe…” She gave up and whispered.

“Alright. You stay with Aedelak and Aeselak and play with them okay?” Ramon rubbed Euria’s grey hair.

Like that, Euria nodded eagerly and pumped her fist up! Her eyes widen with a playing spirit!

“Alright! I will stay here with Aeselak and Aedelak!” Euria smiled!

“Good luck, Eldest brother!” Euria ran and hugged Louis for 2 seconds.

“Good luck, older brother Ramon!” She hugged Ramon.

”And, good luck Aernest, Elder sister Neia!” Euria hugged both of them tightly before running off into the shade. Aedelak and Aeselak soon followed.

“Your sister is cute!” Dea chuckled at Euria’s overwhelming cuteness.

Unexpectedly Louis was the one who replied. “Unlike the older one.” Which he then proceeded to sigh.

No one heard Dea’s and Louis’s conversation except Aernest. Gasping, he then turned to Eugene and whispered! ‘Sister! Sister! Brother Louis is cursing you!’ He reported.

“.....” Eugene blinked at Aernest.

‘He said you’re not cute!’ Aernest blinked as if he was offended.

“.....” Eugene blinked.

“Well then, let’s start our swimming training!” Commander Kal disappeared for 5 minutes, before coming back with a black outfit.

“Yes sir!” The 10 children replied.

“This training might seem scary to some of you, but worry not! As soon as you overcome this training, this skill will be as easy as breathing. This skill might even one day save your life!” Commander Kal motivated the children who stood in front of him.

“Let’s rid our fears!”

“Yes sir!” The rest replied as they went into the water one by one.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t too deep. It came to the waist or upper body of most people, and Ramon’s neck.

“PWUAHH!! I’m … going under!”Aernest cried out!

So what if it reached Ramon’s neck, Aernest and Ramon are three years apart! It was deep for the three-year-olds!!

Or so.. it should be.

“Huh?” Everyone stared speechlessly at Aernest whose body was completely underwater and at Eugene, whose head popped up from above the water. If they remember correctly, Eugene was only a bit taller than Aernest...

“......” Eugene blinked. Feeling the gazes at the back of her head, she used her feet to spin around to face the rest.

First, she saw two strands of Aernest’s red hair poking out from underwater, then she saw everyone looking at her with their mouth dropped open.

“Ah…” She blinked. It seems like… her new body remembered the feelings of swimming…

“... You!” Arie yelped in shock. Aernest was drowning, but Eugene was floating?!?!

“.... It seems like swimming is as natural as breathing… for me,” Eugene muttered as she scratched her head.

Bloop. Bloop. Bloop. Bloop

Seeing bubbles pop from above Aernest’s two strands of hair, Eugene widened her eyes!

‘I forgot about you!’ She exclaimed in her head before crawl-swimming to Aernest! Pulling him up, she pushed him to sit on the land.

“BWAHHH! What took everyone so long?!?” Aernest deeply inhaled oxygen! Good thing he listened to Eugene’s advice to inhale all the oxygen he could and to stay still in water if he ever drowns!

‘... We forgot..’ Everyone blinked at Aernest.

Eugene pulled herself up onto the land and sat together with Aernest. Scratching her head, she muttered awkwardly. “Please… go on.”

She stared at Commander Kal whose eyes bulged out of his eye socket, and then back at Aernest who too had the same reaction when he realized that Eugene could swim!

‘I wasn’t planning on showing off alright? It was a natural body reaction…’ She sighed. Suddenly realizing the effect from her body naturally reacting to water, she widened her eyes in horror! ‘NO!! Please don’t call me a genius from this!!’ She yelped in her head!

“Genius..” Ramon, Argen, Aren, and Con muttered to Eugene’s horror!

‘NO!!!’ Eugene screamed in her head, wanting to find a big enough hole to hide!

“.... Haa” Commander Kal sighed. “After I teach the older children, I’ll come back to you Aernest!” He smiled, before proceeding to bring everyone’s attention towards the lesson.

“Ha..” Eugene too sighed. Everyone is misunderstanding me! The only reason why she picked up swimming was that she used to be thrown into the pond daily when she was 3-4 years old, in her past world. To not die, her body gradually picked up this life skill.

“Sister… sister!” Aernest shook Eugene’s sleeves as he looked at her with teary eyes! “Tell me the truth! You were born before me, right? I’m Euria’s twin brother, right?” His lips quivered as he asked.

“......” Eugene sighed. ‘What is this kid thinking…’ She shook her head. Hitting Aernest’s forehead to bring him back to reality, she answered him, “It was instinctual. I was surprised as well.” Eugene shrugged her shoulders, whilst Aernest’s face pouted at her inadequate answer!

“Listen to the Great Musician’s lesson and learn.” Eugene poked Aernest’s scrunched up forehead before turning her attention to Commander Kal.

“Get into pairs! With person A holding person B’s shoulders, person B must lie with your back on the water, as if you're floating. Relax your tensed body, and feel the water under you.

Don’t worry about drowning! Person A is holding you. Now, keep practicing this until you feel comfortable. And after you get past this, try this with your stomach to the water.” Commander Kal instructed and repeated as everyone paired up.

Arie paired with Aren, Argen with Con, Dea with Louis, and Ramon with Ron.

Possibly because they were traumatized by Eugene, they were able to float without Person A holding onto their shoulders. After getting used to floating on their backs, they practiced with their stomachs on the water. Everyone did well, even when  Person A and Person B switched, the lesson went smoothly.

“Very well. Now, submerge your faces into the water and try to stay inside the water as long as you can.” Kal moved on and instructed.

Having nothing to do, Eugene taught Aernest instead of Commander Kal. They repeated whatever Commander Kal instructed the older ones to do, and smoothly repeated.

“Don’t keep your eyes opened in the water for too long!” Eugene warned Aernest. Unlike the swimming pool, natural waters are filled with bacteria and micro insects.

“Pedal your legs and hold trust in your partner.”

“Keep looking above you as you pedal backward.”

Some children were able to do as instructed, whilst others had a harder time. The children took their time as they kept practicing. What is sinking? What is fear? If Eugene could do it so easily, so could they!

Eugene whispered to Aernest.“Slowly exhale out, don’t be scared. Ghosts sleeping underneath your bed are scarier.” She half advised half threatened Aernest.

Aernest floated as he looked at the sky above him. Calming himself, he slowly pedaled backward, trusting that Eugene was behind him at all times.

Feeling her hands on his shoulders, he laughed! “I did it, sister!”

“Hmm..” Eugene nodded. Pulling him up into the shore.

“Sister… The sky is so beautiful! And the river is so calm! This is so fun!!” Aernest laughed. “Let’s swim again when we go back home in a few days with Euria, Aedelak, and Aeselak!”

Looking at his innocent childish face, Eugene’s lips tugged up. “Hmm.” She replied.

‘It’s a good life skill to have. Euria, Aedelak, and Aeselak should learn how to swim.’ Eugene quietly thought.

“Now, let’s attempt the difficult part of this training. It’s okay if you take your time, and if you manage to do this, congratulations, you can now swim!

With your partner’s help, kick your feet underwater whilst holding your partner’s hand. The partner should walk backward as you do that.

Alternate when you are comfortable or try letting go of your partner's hands.”

“Bring one arm out of the water in a reaching forward position and then bring it back down to push the water behind you.

Alternate arms and if you need to breathe just turn your head to one side. It’s unnecessary to breathe after one stroke so do it every 3 or 4 strokes.” Kal swam to show them an example.

Louis and Dea were able to officially swim after one attempt. The rest took 20-40 minutes. Louis replaced Eugene as an instructor and taught Aernest how to swim. Naturally, learning to swim in a mere hour should be shocking to most. Some take a year or more to swim! However, because they kept thinking about Eugene, they were able to easily overcome this training!

And just like that, it was time to test out their results!

Everyone swam to the other side of the lake and back and passed with flying colors! Soon, it became Eugene’s turn to swim. For this, everyone was eagerly watching from the sidelines because even though they’ve seen Eugene floating and crawl swimming, they’ve never seen Eugene fully swim!

“....” Eugene stared at everyone before diving underwater.

Instead of swimming breaststroke or freestyle, she was going to swim with the butterfly style!

This is of course done without telling anyone. And when people saw that Eugene hadn’t popped out within 5 seconds, everyone panicked! Louis reacted first and immediately swam towards Eugene.

Catching her legs quickly, he pulled her body upside down from underwater. Shocking everyone, and shocking Eugene who was beautifully swimming.

“......” Everyone breathed out in relief.

“....” Eugene was shocked, senseless. Realizing the switching, she glared at Louis from upside down.

“...... What.Are.You.Doing.” She spat out.

Louis stared blankly.

Realizing that he overreacted a bit, he whispered. “... Saving y-”

Before he could finish, Eugene used her other feet to kick Louis's face. “Butterfly! Do you know? Butterfly style?” She wiggled around, wanting to be free.

“....Oh.” Louis blinked, dropping her without any warning to everyone’s shock.

When Eugene popped back up from underneath the water, looking as if she wanted to murder her brother, everyone realized that they made a mistake.

Louis blinked at Eugene. “You looked like you wanted me to let go of you.” He replied, honestly.

“.....” This uncultured swine!! Eugene shouted inside her head.

Turning around, she foregoes her butterfly style and breaststroke to the other end of the lake. When she swam back, she swam freestyle.

Training session number 3 then concluded with 10 children being able to swim! Commander Kal gave them time to play around for an hour and proceeded to watch the children play from afar.


Book I Table of Contents

(February - September 2020) 

Book II Table of Contents

(September 2020 - First half of 2021 

Table of Contents for MCiuitW! Advanced Chapters

20