78 – Family
4.4k 9 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Up to 10 advanced chapters available on https://www.patreon.com/jamminrabbit at Tier 2 sub

Updates every week on Monday PST!

"That was a disaster!" I cried.

Hatsumi was still in the kitchen helping to clean up, while I dragged Mio to our room to scold her.

"Whaddya saying? I handled that like a champ. I deserve an award for my acting skills," Mio said.

My head was pounding. Good thing my grandparents were hard of hearing, otherwise that could have been really bad. Hatsumi was also there to lead the conversation away from Mio. I was still pretty sure my grandma was on to us. She stopped asking questions and ate quietly after Mio's slip ups.

I was about to take off my clothes when the door was thrown open. Grandma came in and dragged the both of us into the hallway.

"What— What's going on? Grandma?" I panicked, thinking she might have found out.

She walked us down the hallway, opened the door to another room with a single futon, and pushed us right in.

"The couple should have a room of their own for their privacy," she said coyly, and shut the door, leaving Mio and I alone.

Mio wrapped her arms around me and said, "That can only mean she wants one thing. Isn't that right, boyfriend?"

We ended up having sex through the night. Several times, I heard Hatsumi sneaking down the hallway to come into the room, only to be foiled by our grandparents who were determined to give us privacy. They seriously wanted great grandchildren. Too bad they had another thing coming. I just hoped Mio and I weren't too loud.

Grandpa woke me up early in the morning, banging on the door to my room. He wanted help pulling weeds from the front and backyard. which I was more than happy to help.

"Your father used to help me with this all the time. Really put some muscle on his arms. Maybe it'll put some on you, too." He stood up and stretched his back.

"You can just leave it to me, you know. I don't mind," I said, pulling the lawn chair closer for him to sit.

The glimmer of fight in his eye sparked out, and he decided to take my offer to rest. He and Grandma were getting too old to do this sort of work. I felt bad that we only came around once or twice a year, and god knows the last time mom and dad visited them.

When I really thought about it, they might have left taking care of their parents to us on purpose. Hatsumi and I were happy to help, and liked our grandparents enough to keep coming, but it seemed wrong for them to just… not show up.

"Hey, Grandpa. Why did mom and dad pick a job overseas?" I asked.

"Why did they?" He was surprised that I asked and was unsure how to answer. In fact, it was the first time I asked about them. Ever. He put a hand to his chin and thought hard. "You know, it never did occur to me to press them about it."

They left the moment Hatsumi got into high school. I remembered that day vividly. Walking with them to the taxi, driving to the airport, waving goodbye to them— especially the feeling of relief when they disappeared into the terminal, and grandma pointed to their plane that took off into the sky.

Did I… hate my parents?

"Saeko, what's wrong?" Grandpa squinted at me.

I quickly rubbed away the wetness welling at the corner of my eyes.

"Nothing! Some dirt got in my eyes," I said, turning around.

"Oh, you can't fool me. I recognize that look. You cried when your parents left, too." He stood up and offered me a handkerchief, but I refused. It wasn't like I was balling my eyes out. He took my rejection to heart and looked a little hurt.

Damn it. I didn't mean to look weak in front of my grandpa of all people. Last thing I want was to be stuck being lectured to while pulling the rest of the weeds.

"I'm sure your parents had a good reason to leave," he began.

Great. He was going to give it to me anyway. Maybe I should have kept quiet.

"You're living in a swell place, your education is the greatest this side of Hyogo has to offer— you and your sister have a better life than 90% of Japan right now." He wheezed as he laughed and spoke of our grand lifestyle with joy, but he keenly noticed that I didn't feel the same way. "That isn't enough for you?"

"I'm fine with it," I answered.

Grandpa grunted and leaned back on his chair, lightly thumping his fist on his shoulders.

"Fine with it, he says. The young ones always talk up a storm around each other, but when it comes to us in wheelchairs and canes, it's never more than a few words." He cast his eyes off to the side.

"Maybe if you guys aren't always asking about things we don't like talking about…" I mumbled.

For all the times he was hard of hearing, he heard me crystal clear right then.

"What else are we supposed to ask? I'm 76 years old, barely able to walk to the bathroom without tiring myself out. Your grandma and I don't follow your trendy things. It's not like your parents give us the time of day to teach us either." Grandpa continued to fly into a rant about cell phones and computers, how music sounded like dying squirrels, and plenty of other complaints I didn't expect to hear.

It dawned on me that my parents didn't just leave me. They left their parents, too.

"How come you don't just call dad and ask him about things you don't know?" I asked.

"The only time I can expect a call is when it's mine and your grandma's birthday. Won't even spare one minute if I want to ask about gifting him coffee beans. Talk about ungrateful." He spat on the ground.

"Actually, Grandpa… dad doesn't like coffee," I said.

"See, how the hell am I supposed to know?" Grandpa threw his hands into the air.

For the first time since talking to my grandpa, I burst into laughter. He wore a scowl on his face that slowly morphed into a chuckle.

Hatsumi, Mio, and I went into town accompanying our grandparents. We all wore yukatas, very comfortable ones that were gifted to my grandma from one of her friends. I had on a simple blue and white robe, while Hatsumi and Mio wore ones that were black and white ink-splotted patterns.

Many people gathered around yaguras, towers upon which people beat drums and orchestrated a dance, were set up in parks and wide open spaces. It was a pleasant tradition of honoring family who had passed.

"Grandpa and I are going to the community center to meet up with friends. You three go ahead without us, but let us know when you're about to head home," Grandma said.

As they left, Mio was distracted gazing at the people dancing around the yagura.

"Did you want to dance with them?" I asked her.

Mio shook her head. "Not interested. Your weird human traditions caught me by surprise is all."

"Let's go together and show her," Hatsumi suggested.

We each took Mio by the hand and pulled her towards the base of the tower.

"H-Hey! I said I'm not interested!" she complained.

Mio started off just walking in pace with us at first. She made small movements, like raising her hands, clapping when the others do. The dance itself wasn't difficult. Anyone could get the hang of it after a while.

Seeing Mio and Hatsumi in their yukatas made me a bit jealous. I wanted to wear something like that, too. I could. It wasn't like Obon was the only time to do it.

But I wanted to look cute like them during a festival.

"I had half a mind to stay with Hana and Yumi when you guys talked about visiting your grandparents," Mio began. She had a smile on her face, and in the yukata she wore made my chest throb. "I mean, why would I care right? They're your grandparents. Not mine. I dunno what I'm saying, but… it feels good having a family."

Hatsumi grabbed us both and pulled us into her arms. We almost tripped on our sandals.

"That's because you are family, Mio. Isn't that right?" Hatsumi asked me.

"Cousin, girlfriend, succumates— Yeah, I think we're past the family stages," I said.

"I thought coming here would be a bother, but I guess I did have fun. Thanks for inviting me, guys." Mio grinned.

"There's one more thing we're missing," Hatsumi said, staring right at me.

"W-What?" I asked.

"Don't 'what' me. I know you more than anyone!" Hatsumi took mine and Mio's hand, and raced us out of the dancing circle to a shop that was selling yukatas and kimonos. "Which one do you think will look best, Mio?"

Mio picked out a yukata red and white yukata with flower prints at the skirt.

"What's going on?" I asked both of them.

"Isn't it obvious? You've been gawking at us all night. I don't smell any lust on ya, so it has to be because you wanna wear one like ours." Mio put her hands on her waist.

"N-No, I don't…" I glanced away, but my sister held my face in front of the yukata Mio had in her hand.

"Yes, you do," Hatsumi said.

"Fine!" I snatched the yukata and snuck into the changing room while no one was looking. Putting it on was no different than the one I was already wearing— same process, same way of tying the belt. But I felt more eager to do so. I dropped the illusion and towel at last to see a pretty girl in the mirror..

Hatsumi and Mio were waiting patiently right outside the booth with cameras flashing in my face.

"Oof. You look hot." Mio wolf whistled.

"Why do you two have to be so embarrassing?!" I complained.

"Don't you feel much better now?" Hatsumi asked.

It was hard to say yes, but my answer wasn't a no.

"What if Grandpa and Grandma see?" My eyes scoured the store hoping no one who saw us coming in noticed I looked different.

"They're at the community center, remember? You can just change back by the end of the night before we pick them up," my sister said.

I couldn't stop checking myself out in the mirrors. Every other day when I thought I'd gotten used to being a girl, some sharp reminder proves me otherwise. This being one of them.

Hatsumi paid for my yukata and kept the one I'd changed out of in her bag. The employees in the store were none the wiser about my change. They probably saw thousands of customers today alone. Or maybe, Mio had something to do about it with her charm.

It felt like I always had people watching over me. Especially with a sister like Hatsumi, I was definitely luckier than most.

Mio and I were waiting by a bench while Hatsumi bought us takoyaki. My stomach was rumbling since we left the clothing store. Pulling weeds in the morning sure worked up an appetite.

"See, you're looking a lot happier now. Who woulda thought a nice change of clothes can make ya," Mio teased.

"It's my turn to thank you, now. Isn't it?" I half-joked while smoothing out my yukata. "I appreciate it, though."

"Sorry, it took so long!" Hatsumi came running back with a to-go box of our awaited takoyaki.

A couple of guys weren't watching where they were going and bumped into my sister, causing her to spill the food to the ground.

"Tsk. You got my shit dirty!" one of them said, brushing the sauce from his sports shoes.

The other guys quickly surrounded her.

"How are you gonna make up for that?"

"Hey, you're kinda cute. How about you come with us to some karaoke."

Mio and I rushed to my sister's aid, but that only served to embolden them.

"Looks like our night's turning out better than we thought." The guy who got his shoes dirted reached out to try and stroke Mio's face but she slapped his hand away. He made a backswing, but I stepped between them and grabbed his wrist.

"I have a better idea. Why don't you guys treat us to some takoyaki and okonomiyaki and then get lost?" I glared at them, tightening my aura until their eyes briefly flashed pink.

"Sure. We can do that. Right, guys?" the leader of them said.

The four guys lined up to buy us food. Mio slapped a hand on my shoulder.

"That's my girl," she said.

Hatsumi threw her arms around me. "That's my sister!"

The guys practically emptied their wallets on us buying food and souvenirs. We came away with so much food that Hatsumi gave the rest up to some homeless folk, and only kept enough to share with our grandparents later.

Towards the end of the evening, many people gathered at Kakogawa River to let paper lanterns float downstream. Many of them would be picked up before they reached the bay, but just seeing the orange glow lightning up the length of the river appeared magical. 

Mio had a silly grin on her face. Among the many lanterns, some were carried by foot-long wooden boats. She kept her eyes on them specifically until they disappeared, then she would find another to stare at.

"Saeko, Mio!"

As soon as we turned around, Hatsumi snapped a picture. She came back to show us two surprised faces. They were happy expressions nonetheless. 

"Aw, man. You didn't get my good angle!" Mio complained, then turned her back to us and smacked her own ass. "Right there, give it to me. Come no, Saeko."

"This is being disrespectful to the dead," I scolded.

Mio shrugged "The dead need all the stimulation they can get—"

She stopped short of finishing her sentence. I followed her gaze to our grandparents. Hatsumi, too, turned to see them and gasped.

Grandma stepped down the riverbank, her cane clacking louder in my ears than it should. "Hatsumi. Mio, what is the meaning of this? Saeko, is that you?"

The blood drained from Hatsumi's face. My heart dropped to my stomach. 

"It is Saeko. I recognize those cheekbones and eyes from his mother. Why are you dressed like that?" Grandpa asked.

"I can explain— " Hatsumi tried to chime in, but Grandma glared her down.

"No, you don't. We expect an explanation from Saeko. Why is our grandson dressed like this?" she asked me.

I didn't know what to say. I didn't even know if I could. My throat clenched, the air in my lungs dwindled as I tried to come up with anything to say. For them to know now meant my parents would learn soon after.

Mio stepped forward. I sensed her aura tightening around my grandparents, but I put a hand out to stop her from completing the charm.

"Let me. This was inevitable anyway," I said, convincing her to cease the spell. Facing my grandparents was daunting, somehow more terrifying than facing Beatrice. "Grandma, Grandpa… the truth is, I'm not a boy."

"No, we've bathed you before. We were there when Sakura gave birth to you," Grandpa said.

"Do your parents know?" Grandma asked.

The disappointment and revulsion on their face was palpable. Even so, I had to tell them.

"They don't… I'm still Saeko. It's so tiring having to explain and hide myself. If you guys are going to yell at me— can we at least wait until we're home?" I squeezed my eyes since they started to burn.

I heard Hatsumi gasp a second time, and I braced myself for a hand to smack me any second. Our grandparents were never violent, but they have yelled plenty. Neither of those happened. Instead, a hand rested itself on my head.

Grandma sighed as I opened my eyes.

"We're not going to yell at you here or at home. I don't even have the energy for it," she said.

"Y-You're not angry?" I asked.

"At you? No." She pointed to Grandpa. "I'm angry at him for making you pull weeds all morning!"

"Me?!" Grandpa pointed to himself, appalled at the shift in blame.

I began to choke up. I tried to form words but they came out as gibberish. Grandma pulled me into a hug and stroked my back.

"Maybe there was a time when we wouldn't have been okay about this. Now I just look at you and see an adorable granddaughter," she said.

Something about this felt oddly nostalgic. It didn't matter. I felt like a baby again in Grandma's arms. Warm, comfy, and safe. I'd been so worried about their worst side, that I didn't spare a moment to remember how sweet they were.

Grandpa came down the steps and scratched his balding head. "Does this mean we aren't getting great grandchildren? Saeko, you still have a penis— ow! You're the reason my legs are brittle, not age!"

Grandma had whacked him on the leg with a cane.

"You sure can ruin a moment, huh?" She frowned.

"You guys aren't going to ask why or how?" I glanced between the both of them.

"Would you tell me if I did? Figure you will when you're ready. You kids don't tell us much of anything these days anyway," she said.

"Grandma, would it be alright if you kept this from mom and dad?" Hatsumi asked.

"Knowing them, they sure as hell won't take it as kindly as we did. Well… they don't pick up our calls so no reason to." Grandma winked.

Our grandparents saw us off at the station. For once, I looked forward to seeing them again. What I wasn't looking forward to was my parents' inevitable return. Grandma was right in that our worldviews were different. Times change and we sometimes do, too. 

Mom and Dad on the other hand…

If only I could be confident about being wrong about how they'd react.

But until then…

Mio and Hatsumi were both leaning their heads on my shoulders as they slept. The gentle rumbling of the train car lulled them both right to sleep a few minutes after boarding. This was the most peace I could ask for, flipping through the many pictures on my phone that Hatsumi took of us— of me, while in the yukata. All three of us were a happy family, and I couldn't ask for more.

Up to 10 advanced chapters available on https://www.patreon.com/jamminrabbit at Tier 2 sub

Updates every week on Monday PST!

63