12.5: Extra
213 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm uploading the 13th chapter next week. ^^

 

"Kid, you stepped on my foot," Quill said as she grabbed a boy by his shoulder.

 

Quill had a neutral face but her two aides behind her were obviously unhappy.

 

"Is that so?" The kid spat on Quill's shoe to mock her.

 

Instead of reeling in anger, Quill smiled so wide as if she found a new toy.

 

So that's it, he was an outsider just as she thought. Otherwise, they wouldn't even attempt anything aside from an apology.

 

Covering the mouth of the kid, she dragged him inside an empty storeroom across the street.

 

Her grip was so strong that the kid felt like he was being held by a powerful adult.

 

He couldn't understand why a young girl like her could have this much strength.

 

Pushing the kid to the wall, Quill's face transformed into that of a variety of nightmares--insect legs, swirling tentacles, pointed teeth, you name it. The kid didn't know what he was seeing and he didn't care to know because it was substantially just a monstrous mouth.

 

He immediately shouted his lungs out.

 

Of course, it was muffled by the small hand that he could never swat away.

 

Then, a second later he was swallowed whole.

 

After a little bit of squirming, he was spat out, covered in saliva and slime.

 

Quill returned her face to normal and acted as if she vomited something disgusting.

 

"Give me water," she ordered.

 

One of the aides gave her a water sack and after receiving it, Quill emptied the contents to gurgle. She spat it out towards the kid who was shaking in fear.

 

Seeing the boy's expression, pleasure coursed through her body. Quill approached the kid once more, and when she was finally standing over him, the door was thrown open.

 

"Release that child!"

 

It was the militia--two veterans who had experienced quite a few ordeals that were nothing to laugh at. One carried a spear while the other a sheathed sword.

 

Quill was wide-eyed, regrettably, her fun time was cut short.

 

However, this thing (kid) was a rare find.

 

Tentacles sprouted from Quill's back and wrapped the boy, whose shout was quickly muffled by a tentacle around his head. His arms and feet were tied as well to prevent him from going anywhere.

 

Yet Quill walked slowly towards the two militiamen at the door instead.

 

"You'll get him back in two minutes alive and healthy. Why don't you back out for now?"

 

Her glare was strong but the militiamen didn't back down.

 

"We need the kid back," the spearman said with an audible gulp.

 

"He your nephew or somethin'?" Quill asked as she tilted her head.

 

The spearman didn't reply. He and the swordsman didn't know the kid at all, just saw him being carried away by sheer timing.

 

When the long silence finally turned murky, Quill hung her head down and exhaled ever so slowly.

 

With sweat beading down their necks, the militiamen knew that they could be pushing their luck.

 

However, before they could word a subtle retreat, Quill retracted the tentacles until no longer in sight.

 

Taking that as permission, the two militiamen rescued the boy and ran off, not intending to drag things out.

 

"Are we really letting them go just like that, boss?" asked one of her aides.

 

Quill's expression was dark.

 

"One, it didn't turn into a fight. Two, they didn't throw insults. As long as those two conditions were met, it's a win-win for both sides."

 

That was a positive way to look at things, but with the absurdly neutral undertone, the two deputies could tell she was far from happy.

 

Quill left the scene disappointed and her aides followed.

 

But when everyone thought that's the end of it, another person bumped into her. Deliberately.

 

It was a young lad who wore brown trousers and reddish leather armor, the militia's uniform, and the three guys with him wore the same.

 

Another new guy (+3) in town who were just coincidentally recruited, no doubt.

 

"Hey, I saw what happened back there," the new guy said with a cheeky grin.

 

"I'm afraid we're gonna have you come along with us to the precinct seeing as those two left the job to us."

 

The four militiamen laughed.

 

"Isn't she the boss of the Syndicate?" one of them asked sarcastically. "For her to back down so easily back there, it seems there's nothing to be scared about these people after all!"

 

"Seeing as we're not corrupt, we must bring you to justice," another said with pride.

 

'Not intelligent' may be the better term for you, the aides thought.

 

Quill's two aides were burning in anger and no one could figure out what Quill was thinking at this point. Since she's the shortest of the bunch and still had her head facing downwards, nobody could tell what face she was making.

 

However, before things exploded out of control, the sound of boots could be heard coming towards their general direction.

 

It was the two seasoned militiamen from earlier.

 

They went past Quill from behind and dropped a kick on the newbies, started beating them up with ease, and dragged them through the dusty ground, one person in each hand.

 

Quill's group was speechless at the sight.

 

When the six militiamen were no longer in sight, Quill finally couldn't contain her laughter.

 

"What the heck was that?"

 

-

 

"Big bro, why?"

 

"Shut your piehole. It's to save your lives."

 

"This is the reason why I said recruiting should not be our priority."

 

They were now at the clinic near the gate, tending to their wounds and bruises. Funny how it was the inflictors that brought them here.

 

"Why are you covering for those criminals? Aren't you ashamed of yourselves!"

 

Yep, they are not intelligent.

 

But, at least, their morale and will couldn't be questioned, that's why they passed the screening in the first place.

 

"Idiots! No one in the militia could take that girl on. Not that it happened in the past, but she alone could take down the whole militia corps if she wanted."

 

"Huh??"

 

The four noobs couldn't believe what their senior just said.

 

"If that's true, then how did you two get out of there alive? She's just a halfling!"

 

Nobody else actually believed she was just a halfling at this point.

 

Just as that question was asked, an idea came to the rookies' minds.

 

Maybe they are moles in the militia.

 

Their faces revealed their thoughts.

 

The two veterans realized that was what in their minds and slapped them on the head.

 

"You truly are idiots, aren't you?!"

 

"If that's the case, then we should've ignored them in the first place and let them have the child! Don't you think so?"

 

"...Then why are we letting them go?! We should call everyone and arrest them right now."

 

The two veterans smacked their faces as the conversation just wasn't going anywhere...A minute had not even passed when they answered that question.

 

But still, the two veterans couldn't blame them. It was weird in the first place that they even managed to muster the courage to run to the door and risk Quill's wrath...and you know, die without even making a squeak.

 

Now that they thought about it, they might have done something suicidal.

 

Oh, crap.

 

To a few other people, they might have appeared valiant. But to themselves, they were incredibly stupid.

 

They blamed Kristoffer for this.

 

Every time they saw that guy with Quill, he appeared relaxed and cordial to that little gaffer.

 

It was even more shocking to see the latter look so approachable, especially after all the things they've seen and tittle-tattle they've heard.

 

"Just what is happening to this town?"

 

The spearman mumbled to himself. To his surprise, the swordsman replied.

 

"Ignorance is bliss."

 

For the swordsman, it was the major reason why he's survived all this while.

 

Although he said so, after looking at the four ignorant youngsters, he realized such a way of life might not be suited for everyone.

 

"Just so you know, Quill is also essential in keeping the peace," said the swordsman.

 

That's what he's been seeing at least.

 

"Huh? What do you mean?"

 

"Do you seriously think everyone would fear the militia? Not even I get scared of this guy," the swordsman pointed to the spearman beside him.

 

Ignoring the annoyed stare from his companion, he continued,

 

"I fear no man. But that thing...it scares me."

 

Receiving dubious faces, the spearman and swordsman could only shake their head, exhausted.

 

Deciding to leave it at that and do something more productive, the two left the clinic and dashed towards a group of wagons outbound of town.

 

 

7