5: The Strongest Party in Town
438 5 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kristoffer arrived at the doorstep of Quill's office.

It was a concrete five-story building, the largest and second-tallest in town with the sentry tower being only a floor taller. He boldly knocked on the door as he shifted the girl on his back. There was a bit of a wait until someone knocked on the other side, most likely trying to check the late visitor through the peephole.

Then the door opened slightly to partly reveal a burly man who sported a frown on his face. "What do you want?" said the man angrily.

"I need to see Ms. Quill. It's an emergency."

"Make an appointment then come back tomorrow." His large body twitched in annoyance.

However, Kristoffer didn't want to back down. He might be able to gather his group, the Silver Mavericks, but if an equally powerful monster was to be expected then there would be a lot of casualties. The Syndicate, however, might be able to lend a hand on this. He was not that familiar with their fighting strength but with Dina and Fina earlier, he could deduce that there should be more of them.......

Why didn't he borrow the two then?! What a blunder... He wanted to curse at himself.

But there's no use crying over spilled milk, here he was now and he had to steel himself.

"I need to tell her now, it's an emergency." Was there nothing else he could say? He could feel the other person already running out of patience. Oh, the burly man completely opened the door, was it already time to run away?

"Who's that?" a woman said. Kristoffer's hopes increased but instantly grayed as more of them showed frowns.

"Oh, it's the baker. Whatcha want?" another said.

"Please tell Ms. Quill that Kristoffer's here to see her," Kristoffer insisted.

"Huh?! Nobody gets to meet the boss that easily," the woman claimed. It was to be expected.

"You wanna die, punk?!" the other said. Things were getting dangerous and Kristoffer's carrying a casualty on his back.

He had to resort to it after all.

He took a deep breath, preparing the ultimate persuasion technique: threatening. 

"If Ms. Quill learns that she missed the news I bear then she's going to be angry at you!" he said with as much force as he could muster, pointing a finger at all of them. "I think you all know what happens if you incur her wrath, don't you think so!" 

Honestly, he had only seen Quill 'let loose' in public twice. The first time was when a rapist who came to town tried to commit another crime and Quill caught him in the act so she broke the rapist's limbs one by one while laughing like a psycho. The other time was when a subordinate couldn't control himself and stabbed an inquiring taxman, so she punished said subordinate by stabbing him a hundred times while using [Heal].

If he saw it twice in public, then how about in private, away from the prying eyes of the populace? You wouldn't want to know.

She's a textbook example of a sadist. She's pretty messed up in the head. But despite all that, Kristoffer could still trust her. It's because he knew of her secret, a secret that no one in The Syndicate knew...

The four goons paused, visibly shaken. They knew the worst that could happen. Finally, a good response! Just one more push.

"Quick! You can beat me up later if I'm wrong. But I assure you it's worthy of her time." He made a face of urgency to add to the drama and sure enough, the burly man left with a growl.

The woman in the meantime invited him inside. Most likely to make sure that he couldn't run away if they had to slit his throat if he was trying to fool them, or so Kristoffer thought. At least he succeeded in calling out Quill. First part of the task, success!

 

After waiting for a few minutes, surrounded by dangerous-looking and much more dangerous individuals, the one he longed for finally arrived. No, seriously, he longed for her presence, otherwise, these people might do some very ghastly stuff to him.

"Kristoff!" Quill said, easily jumping down through the stairs. Her smug face a perfect fit for her composure as always. "I think this is the first time you've paid a visit to my humble office."

Kristoffer darted his eyes around. Truly, 'humble' was not the right word. The place was full of expensive paintings, furniture and fighting equipment itching to touch his skin.

"Thank you for seeing me. Really, thank you." He just had to throw that out first. "But if it's not a bother, could we talk alone?"

This earned several noises of disagreement from the surroundings.

"Oh, sure." Then surprised silence.

"Thank you," Kristoffer said, as they left the stunned people below to enter a secluded room on the second floor. Although, someone else boldly followed them, wanting to come along.

"May I come in?" said the guy. He carried something that looked like a staff on his back, among many other metal trinkets. It was the first time Kristoffer had seen something like those. 

"Carl? Hmm, I apologize, Kristoff. Is it fine if we let him... scratch that, I call the shots here."

Kristoff couldn't say anything if that's what the master of the 'house' wanted. So this person was Carl. He didn't seem to be Quill's subordinate. His body wasn't big nor was his face hard, but his atmosphere screamed 'soldier', yet you would feel he was the type of guy to not take things seriously because of his smile.

Kristoffer's not yet certain but it looked like Quill respected this guy? If even the great Quill could treat other people as an equal then they had to be some sort of monster.

"So!" Quill began as she sat on a large expensive-looking one-seater sofa. Quite regal of her. "What is this piece of news you speak of?"

So she heard him shouting earlier.

Kristoffer and Carl each sat on a separate sofa, albeit less extravagant. All three of them now faced each other.

"Just a few moments ago, Dina, Fina, and I encountered a vampire." He paused, trying to grasp whether or not Quill already knew.

"Hmm, I admit you're the first one to deliver that news," she said. "Go on."

"We managed to kill it but I reckon that we have to locate his hideout."

Carl glanced at the girl sleeping soundly beside Kristoffer. "Because you think there's more of them in confinement?"

"And if he could leave them to hunt, then it's likely that he has an associate," Quill added.

Kristoffer nodded. He appreciated how easy it was to explain things. "Thus... if I could be shameless, I'd like to... borrow some help."

He sighed in his mind. This was the hardest part. He could understand if she refused since it was her subordinate's lives at stake.

Quill and Carl shared a look as if communicating through some silent force.

Quill then turned to Kristoffer, flashing her trademark grin. "Alright! Why not? I'm sure you think that we were going to hunt them down sooner or later anyway since they are encroaching upon my turf." 

Kristoffer stood up and bowed. "I cannot thank you enough."

"On one condition!" she said. "You lead the hunting party. Grab three, nothing more." 

Oh, sheet. He was expecting to sit out on this.

She stood up, beckoning them to follow her as they went back downstairs. Interested at the quite uncommon visitor, more people gathered, whispering amongst themselves.

Glad that she needed not to call them, she said, "Go on, take your pick."

Her subordinates were all clueless what their boss meant but they looked at Kristoffer all the same. He felt uncomfortable with all the looks.

She wanted him to pick from these people? They were snarling at him just a few moments ago.

"Oh, before that," Quill said. "Rick! Grab Molick will you?! Tell him to deliver this girl to the orphanage, safe and sound, please. Afterward, make sure no one escapes alive wherever the place that the baker is going to raid."

Everyone except for the 3 showed confused faces. Figures. A baker going on a raid? 

A lanky young man stepped forward and thumped his chest. "Yes, Ma'am," he said before running upstairs. That must have been Rick.

Quill turned back to Kristoffer, and after a few seconds of silence, he realized she was expecting him to pick already. Kristoffer put down the girl on a seat for Rick and Molick to retrieve. He would visit her later in the orphanage after all of these were done.

He pursed his lips, sparing each of the henchmen, and women, no more than a glance until his eyes glued to a man with a buzz cut silver hair.

He knew this guy. So he managed to become her subordinate now.

If he recalled correctly, his name was Victor. When Victor first came to this town, he went to Kristoffer's bakery, saying that he was looking for a job. Kristoffer thought that if he was asking even a baker, then the Commerce Guild may really have nothing. If so, he had to take him to Quill, she's sure to give him something to do, and he seemed desperate enough.

Kristoffer pointed. "Victor."

"A ranger, good choice," Quill said.

Victor didn't know what's happening but he moved towards them as ordered by Quill. "One down, two to go."

"Nah, we're ready to go." Turning to look at Carl and Quill, Kristoffer smiled confidently.

Carl gave him an amused face but Quill didn't look amused, annoyed even. Oof.

Quill rolled her eyes. "Too bad, I'm busy doing something upstairs. Pick again."

Well, it was worth the shot. Two monsters, no good.

But a sudden assist came.

"Wait. Quill, look," Carl said, tapping her in the shoulder. "Kristoff's similar to Gary and Victor here is similar to Crona. Doesn't it look like the party is back again?"

Kristoff never heard of these Gary and Crona but it seemed like it carried a lot of weight as Quill widened her eyes in realization. She trotted closer, grabbing Carl with her. When the four of them were now within arm's reach, Quill looked giddy.

"You look like a kid excited for a trip," Carl chuckled. Turning to Kristoffer, he said, "So, you're the party leader for now." 

Kristoffer nodded as thanks. "We should probably head to the Commerce Guild to check if there were recent purchases of property. They should still be open by now." 

"No need." Quill flicked her fingers and someone handed her a piece of paper. "Here is the list."

When did they prepare that? Kristoffer, along with the other three, took a look.

After going through the few purchases, there was only one that caught their attention: The old house on the outskirts of town.

It had a large yard and was abandoned for a long time and had since then only been used as a playground by children.

"Seems we know where we are going now," Kristoffer said. They all nodded except for Victor who still had no idea what's going on.

"Let's go!" Quill ushered.

Thus they advanced toward their goal, leaving the baffled henchmen behind.

.....

After walking for half an hour, they finally reached the suspected house, a few lights flickered inside. The night was colder than any this month and the cold just added to the atmosphere of the cryptic compound.

"They use candles instead of mana stones?" Carl asked. "Okay, it's confirmed. This is Dracula's house."

"Who's Dracula?" Kristoffer inquired.

"Don't mind him," Quill said. "He says a lot of things no one understands from time to time."

Victor on the other hand finally couldn't resist and thus raised his hand. "What are we doing here?"

Kristoffer explained with a summary and Victor's eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

"And?! As the ranger, you want me to lead the way, is that it?" Victor grabbed Kristoffer by the collar.

"Calm down, Victor." Quill sighed. She looked troubled as she stared at the pathetic ranger. But she understood where he was coming from, at least. "Alright, let's do it this way, I act as vanguard while Victor and Carl take the rear."

"I'm sorry, boss."

"Tell me that after wiping that smile off of your face." Quill sighed again. "Crona wasn't this pathetic. No, she doesn't show any signs of it all. She doesn't even smile."

Carl beamed at her. "Don't worry! The important thing is that he'll be useful in battle." Carl looked him up and down. "...I think. At least the silver hair makes up for it."

"Whatever." The moment Quill touched the doorknob, Carl wiped off the goofy look on his face and readied his metal staff in a strange posture. Victor had his bow prepared and Kristoffer had his sword in hand.

She turned the knob and pushed the door open. Should they be alarmed that the door wasn't locked?

"Seemed like the owners want us to come in." Quill wore her sadistic grin as she finally drew her dagger, excitement coursing throughout her body at the prospect of her new victims.

As all of them stepped inside, the door closed on itself.

The three men were surprised but managed to compose themselves almost instantly as they caught a glance of the approaching enemies in the scarce light. They had a hunch but no one expected this many.

Imps. 

Lots and lots of them.

Suddenly, Carl began to sing.

"You've had your time, you had the power. You've yet to have your finest hour. Quill, ohhhhh." 

Quill smirked. "And this will be far from that finest hour of mine. This is nothing compared to what we will go through in the future, Carl."

Out of the blue, tentacles sprouted from Quill's back. Six of them. All of which ended with the glint of a sharp blade.

"Let's dance!"

 

 

12