Chapter 7 – The Boys
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emma listened to Haoran talk over the phone to his four 'boys'. They discussed their study plans and how much they would have to pay the girl for two sessions a week.

The girl almost gaped in disbelief when Haoran said they each would have to fork out 50 dollars per session. That way, Emma would earn $500 per week from her five students.

Haoran asked Emma to give him her account number, before casually transferring his payment to her.

"W-Wait a minute!" Emma stammered as she checked her phone's notification. Her eyes widened at the $5,000 transferred. "This is a lot. How can you pay me for a year in advance? What if you don't like studying with me? Or what if I suddenly die? Your money will go to waste."

"That's good, right? I deliberately paid you a year in advance, so you won't die on me. I believe in your skills," Haoran replied with a grin.

Emma threw him a grateful look, then nodded. She said in a solemn manner, "Thank you. You're my first friend, and you've been very good to me. I'll always remember your kindness."

Haoran shrugged. "I didn't give you money for free, you're working for it. So, don't feel indebted."

They then discussed their study plans. The agreed days were Wednesday and Friday, and it would be at Haoran's home. Emma would meet her four students on Wednesday once she came back here again.

"There's no public transportation nearby. You'd better take a taxi next time," Haoran said when Emma excused herself to go home. "Today, I'll drop you off."

"Er... no need. I'll just walk to the bus stop. It's not that far from here." She tried to refuse, but Haoran ignored her objection.

The young man took a car key from the drawer and jiggled it in front of her. Haoran insisted, "Come with me. I already have my driving license, so I can drive you."

Finally, Emma relented. Haoran led her to the garage where he opened the passenger door of a white Porsche for Emma before entering the driver's seat. After the girl put on her seatbelt, Haoran immediately sped his car along Ylang Avenue.

On the road, they chatted about trivial matters. Emma was surprised that she could hold a long conversation with Haoran. She had always been a reclusive girl and didn't like to talk much. But Haoran's warmth managed to make her slowly open up.

"So you're a child of the state. I've heard about the program, but have never met anyone like you. This is very interesting," he commented. "No wonder you're very smart. As far as I know, they only adopt smart kids."

"Thank you." Emma nodded. "The government treats me very well. I'll never forget their kindness. But I really want to find my biological parents."

"Are they in Paris?" Haoran asked with curiosity.

She shook her head. "I don't know. All I remember is that the last time I saw them was thirteen years ago, in Paris. It was around the end of the winter. I have a feeling that I should go there to find out. That's why I am determined to go."

"Hmm. Good luck," said Haoran, but his brows were furrowed like he's thinking hard about something.

Emma also wanted to ask Haoran why he deliberately failed his grades. But, she didn't want to sound invasive. In the end, she decided to wait until Haoran opened up to her willingly.

***

Emma's life at school was dull. She only came to study and did her best not to attract anyone's attention. On Wednesday, when Mrs. Delaval entered their classroom to teach French, Emma registered for the study trip to Paris.

The whole study trip would take more than one week, and the students who would take part could visit the famous tourist spots in Paris and its surroundings. The itinerary included places such as the Louvre Museum, D'Orsay Museum, the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur Basilica, the Palace of Versailles, etc.

Emma was stunned when she saw the itinerary and dates. The first day coincided with her 17th birthday. She felt moved, thinking that this would be a wonderful birthday gift to herself.

After registering, Emma immediately paid the cost of the study trip using the money she had received from Haoran. In class A there were only 6 students, including herself, who would take part in the study trip. Combining it with the other classes, in total, there would be 40 participants.

After school, Emma hurriedly changed clothes and ate her lunch before leaving for Haoran's house. Today was the first day that she would start tutoring Haoran and his friends, so she didn't want to leave a bad impression.

Emma took Haoran's advice this time and chose to take a taxi. She would save time because she wouldn't have to walk all the way from the bus stop to Lotus Garden. She looked casual and fresh in her jeans, white sneakers, and a white shirt. Like usual and for practical purposes, she fashioned her long hair into a bun on top of her head.

Emma arrived at Lotus Garden Villa No. 8, five minutes before 5 PM. Like before, the housemaid opened the door for her and invited her in.

"Hey, Stardust! Let me introduce your new students to you," Haoran exclaimed as he stood up and walked toward Emma when he saw her enter through the garden. He was with four other boys, relaxing on sun chairs by the pool.

She approached them and smiled slightly. "Good afternoon."

The four boys looked at each other and grinned.

"Hey, what are you grinning there for? Introduce yourself to our tutor," Haoran said, glaring at them. The four boys laughed and nodded.

"Hey, Stardust. My name is David," said a young man with brown hair. His handsome face was adorned with a permanent grin that always made it hard for people to take him seriously.

"I'm Dinh Nguyen," said a slightly chubby boy with glasses. In his hand was a bag of snacks that he had been munching nonstop.

"My name is Eric." Eric Velasquez had a cute Filipino accent when he spoke. Among his four friends, he was the most muscular, and his chiseled jawline made him look more masculine and mature for his age.

Alex Chu was the last to introduce himself. This young man had a delicate face and an elegant attitude. His hair was rather long and, at a glance, he looked like a girl.

"Nice to meet you, Emma." He nodded and smiled sweetly. "I'm Alex."

"We're childhood friends," Haoran explained without being asked. "I'm two years older than them. But we used to spend a lot of time together. Now, they follow me wherever I go. That's why when I decided to move to class A, they had no choice but to study hard, so they could move there with me."

"Oh, I see." The girl nodded. "I hope you guys will really strive hard for it. No matter how good I teach, if you don't work hard, it'll be difficult to move to class A. Remember, all of you have many rivals for the slots."

"Don't worry, we're not stupid," Dinh said, eating his chips. "We just haven't studied for a long time, that's all. Now, we need to catch up."

"Come on, everyone, let's all go upstairs and start," Haoran gestured to them to go to his room. The boys rose from their seats and followed him.

Alex was the last to get up from his chair. He approached Emma with a grin on his face. He touched the girl's hand and whispered to her ear while glancing at Haoran.

"Oh, by the way, thank you. Because of you, we don't have to go on a study trip to China. Haoran changed his mind and chose the study trip to Paris instead. Ah, I am so happy! I'm going to do some shopping there."

Emma didn't understand what Alex meant. "Is there a study trip to China?"

"Ahh, you didn't know?" Alex pulled her into the second floor by the hand and entered Haoran's room. "Let me explain."

Alex told Emma that their school was organizing two study trips for second-year students for this summer holiday. One was to Paris and the other to Beijing. Most students chose China because it's cheaper and most of them could speak the local language, compared to French. According to Alex, Haoran had his own reasons why he wanted to go to China, but now he canceled it.

"We were supposed to attend the study trip to China with Boss Haoran," Alex said as he opened the door to Haoran's room. "But yesterday, he said he wanted to go to Paris, and we'd all follow him."

Emma turned her head to Haoran. The said person was flipping through the pages of his textbook with a serious expression and didn't realize they were gossiping about him.

"Is it because of me?" She asked in a doubtful tone.

"Haoran likes you. That's why he did this all. Personally, I think Paris is more fun than Beijing even though Haoran had insisted on going there. Luckily, he changed his mind now." Alex winked at Emma before walking over to his friends who were already sitting in their chairs and taking out their books.

Emma was stunned. Haoran liked her?

She didn't know how to respond to that information.

1