Chapter of Demon Desires: For the Sake of Family
1.3k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yumi… Yumi…”
“Nm… Nn…? Mmmn… Sis?”

A smiling face peered down at me when I opened my eyes.

“Nn… Did I… fall asleep?”
“You did.”
“I see…”

Closing my eyes, I let myself sink into the warmth surrounding me again. I wasn’t going to fall asleep again, just enjoying this rare moment I could only enjoy between sleeping and waking up.

“Slept well?”
“Nm… I think so.”

I actually hadn’t planned to sleep at all. Despite that, I felt pretty refreshed after my afternoon nap. This wasn’t so bad.

“Don’t fall asleep again, Yumi.”
“Mhm… I won’t.”

Though I kind of wanted to…

“That’s good… We’re going to leave soon, after all.”
“Mmm… We are…?”
“Yes”

So that’s why she woke me up… Were Rina and Lily already up? Mm… No, I could hear someone sleeping close by… Very close actually. A little doubtful I opened my eyes just a little to look around… and lo and behold, there was someone else apart from me on Karen’s lap, sleeping peacefully with no care in the world. No wonder it was so warm.

“... She’s still asleep.”
“Yes, she is.”

With my free hand, I cautiously stroked Lily’s hair which was messy from sleeping outside.

“Mhmng…. Mh…”
“Seriously…”

What a bothersome girl…

“Haa… Where’s Rina?”
“She went back to the camp.”
“... She left Lily alone?”

That wasn’t quite what I expected. I would have thought Rina would care for Lily until the moment she woke up.

“She entrusted Lily to us. She didn’t leave her alone.”
“I mean, yes, but… You know what I mean.”

Karen giggled, making me feel embarrassed.

“Hehe, yes, yes. But Rina said they still had to clean up a few things before they could leave. Since she wanted to let lily sleep for as long as she could, she went back ahead to do that.”
“Ohh, that makes sense. And I guess that’s also how I ended up as her pillow?”
“No, you’ve been her pillow for quite a while already.”
“... I see.”

Well, I didn’t wake up from it and I had a pretty good nap so I couldn’t exactly complain about it. Not that I even wanted to, mind you.

“You’re quite… nonchalant about it, Yumi.”
“About what? That I’m waking up as a pillow yet again? You get used to it.”

After all, by now the days I woke up with someone hugging me far eclipsed the days I woke up without someone.

“Hmm… You sure enjoy it, considering you are just ‘used’ to it.”
“Well, I mean… Who wouldn’t like waking up in the same bed as a cute girl? Especially when it’s my dear girlfriend.”

Ah, now it was her turn to blush.

“... Stop grinning like that. It annoys me.”

And now she was poking my cheek, pouting.

“You’re unfair.”
“Nn? I wonder what you mean.”
“You little…”

Karen sighed, staring at me with frustration in her eyes. After a few seconds however, her eyes narrowed and she grinned.

“Yumi.”
“Nn?”

Before I got an answer, her face barred my sight and I could feel her lips on mine. I was a little surprised. Pleasantly surprised, mind you. I closed my eyes, enjoying the kiss with her.

When our lips parted, Karen smiled at me, satisfied.

“Hehe.”

I could only smile wryly in response. Really, what a spoiled girl she was. Though that was true for both of us.

“Sis.”

I lifted my free arm, inviting her in once more. Karen leaned forward and—

A pair of eyes was staring at us.

“...”
“...”
“...”

“Say, are you two always flirting like this?”
“... Just sometimes.”
“I see.”
“...”
“...”
“Don’t mind me, keep going.”

There was no way we could! Especially not when someone was watching us with such intensity.

“... Lily, since when were you awake?”
“Err, a few seconds ago when you were kissing?”
“...”

Why a question?

“So, don’t mind me.”
“That’s not how it works…”
“Not? Too bad…”

Lily slumped her shoulders in disappointment. Did she want to watch us that badly?

“Anyway, Lily. Are you feeling better?”

I forcefully tried to change the topic, not willing to keep up with this embarrassment. I was already blushing enough. And Karen had averted her face, only leaving her red ears visible. How I wished I could hide like that but in my position, that wasn’t possible.

“I do. Sorry about earlier. And thank you.”
“Nn, don’t worry about it. Also, you should thank Rina, not us.”
“I’ll thank her, too, but you two were also there so I’ll give you my thanks. It’s important to say thank you.”
“... I see.”

Then I would gratefully accept her gratitude. Even if I didn’t feel like we had really done anything, especially compared to Rina.

“Where is Rina anyway?”
“Sis said she went back to prepare for the return trip.”
“Ohhh… Right… We still had to do that.”

Apparently so.

“If I had known we would go back on the same day… Haa…”

Lily let out a deep sigh as she hugged me a little tighter.

“Hey, Lily?”
“Mm?”
“When are you going to let go of me?”
“Do I have to? It’s not like you hate it, right?”

Lily grinned mischievously. Had she overheard us earlier? I knew it, she lied about having woken up only shortly before.

“... I’d appreciate it if you could let me go.”
“Don’t wanna.”
“Please?”
“Nope.”
“...”

Her hug got even tighter, reinforcing her refusal to let me go. In that case, I only had one option left, did I?

“Sis, help me.”
“... Mmm.”

However, instead of helping me, Karen simply watched as Lily enjoyed herself. She seemed to be thinking whether she should intervene or not. At least, I dearly hoped she was.

“Karen, I’ll let you touch my tail.”
“Well, it’s fine, isn’t it, Yumi?”
“Sis?!”
“Yay! I got permission.”

I was betrayed! My girlfriend betrayed me for the fluff! I could understand that but still!

“At least let me fluff it, too. I’m the one being used as a pillow, after all.”
“... Well, I don’t mind?”
“Then it’s fine.”

I got permission to fluff her tail! This was awesome! I didn’t mind being her pillow for a while for that.

“I wonder why everyone wants to touch my tail so much? Rina, too.”
““Because it feels good.””

Karen and I answered her completely in sync, causing Lily to recoil a little.

“Well, if it makes you happy. I don’t mind if it’s you two.”
“Yay.”
“Hehehe.”

Karen and I grinned in anticipation. This was an unexpected windfall for us.

“Hey, Karen?”
“Yes?”
“Do you mind if I touch your tail as wel then?”
“... Eh?”
“It’s only fair, isn’t it?”
“That’s… err…”

Karen froze at the unexpected request. Not all that surprising. Karen’s tail was… extremely sensitive.

“Do… Do you have to?”
“I don’t have to, but… Isn’t it a little unfair otherwise?”
“Uhhh…”

She had a point…

“I’ll be careful.”
“...”
“I promise!”
“If.. If it’s only for a short while…”
“Yay!”

Wow, Karen actually acquiesced?

“Sis, are you sure?”
“Uhhh… I… I can manage… if it’s only for a short while…”

Just how much did she want to fluff Lily’s tail?

“Too bad Yumi doesn’t have one or I would’ve asked you, too.”
“Lily, I’m already being hugged by everyone all the time. Isn’t that enough?”
“Good point.”

By rights, I had probably the biggest reason to fluff everyone’s tail. Maybe I should… But the only other two people would be Rina and Maya. Maya’s tail looked nice to touch. But Rina’s was the same as Karen’s so… Well, it was something to think about.

“If you really want to, I could try to see if I can grow me a tentac—”No thanks!”

Intense refusal.

“Stay like you are, Yumi! I feel like I’d get nightmares otherwise!”
“Rude much?”

Did she hate my cute wriggly tentacles that much? That hurt…

“Well, either way, I can’t offer what I don’t have.”
“Unfortunately… Maybe you’ll grow one in the future…”
“That’s… not impossible, I suppose.”

But, to be honest, if that happened I’d like to refrain from having a tentacle as a tail. Even if I was the one who joked about it just now.

“I’ll look forward to it.”
“Don’t act like it’s set in stone, Lily.”
“But it’s possible, right?”
“... I can’t deny that.”
“So, I’ll hold onto hope.”

What a thing to hope for… Well, if it happens, it happens. As long as it wasn’t a tentacle I wouldn’t mind. Actually… if it was one like Karen had, even if it was going to be all pink like everything else, then I’d be quite happy with it.

“Karen, what do you say about that?”
“Me? Mm… I wouldn’t mind.”
“So everyone is in favour.”

That counted as being in favour? And she counted me in as well?

“Maybe I should ask Mama to help out?”
“Please don’t. I feel like she’d really do that.”

Really, I could happily see her doing that.

“Lily, Yumi. Rina is coming.”
“Nn?”
“Oh?”

I glanced towards the camp, as did Lily, and sure enough, Rina was coming. She was waving her hand.

“I guess it’s time.”
“Ehhh… Even though I have Yumi for myself for once…”
“Sis is still here, you know?”
“I mean hugging you. There are always others who want to hug you, too… Having you for myself feels like such a luxury! I’m so jealous of Karen!”
“... I should start charging for this.”

I couldn’t hug myself obviously, so I had no way to know just how good it felt to hug me. But seeing Lily’s reaction—and everyone else’s in the past, for that matter—it had to be great.

“Lily!”

At that moment, Rina called for Lily. She had started running at some point, rushing over.

“Lily, you’re awake!”
“Mh, I am.”
“That’s great!”
“Ahaha… Sorry, for making you worry. And thank you. Really.”
“Don’t worry! I’m just glad you’re better again. You are, aren’t you?”
“Feeling great!”

Lily raised her fist into the air to reassure Rina… still in her lying position on Karen’s lap and hugging me.

“That’s great!”
“Mhm.”

What was up with this… Was Rina really okay with her girlfriend hugging another girl and getting a lap pillow by another one?

Actually spelling it out like that, this is pretty ridiculous, isn’t it?

Oh well, if she was fine with this… Thinking about it, Karen didn’t particularly mind it either.

“Come on, Lily, it’s time to let me go.”
“No… Can’t I take you like this?”
“You can’t.”
“Ehhh…”

Despite her reluctance, she finally let go of me. Sweet freedom…

It’s not warm anymore…

In the end… I really liked this, too, didn’t I?

“I’m going to miss this… It was great. Yumi, let me hug you again sometime.”
“Nn… Well, if the opportunity arises maybe.”
“Eh? Really?”

I ignored Lily and stood up, stretching my body. It wasn’t like I had stiff shoulders or anything, but it still felt pleasant to be able to move around and stretch a little after a nap.

“So, Rina, I guess you’re done?”
“Mhm, and they called for everyone to come back.”
“I see.”

So it really was time now. Guess Greyward finished his letter.

“Then, let’s get back.”

Time to say goodbye to Melfin for now. It was an incredibly short trip but that couldn’t be helped. Things were as they were.

“Yumi, hold still.”
“Nn?”

Karen patted my clothes and hair, getting the dirt off. Speaking of which, we had taken a nap in the grass. No wonder we got a bit dirty.

“And now, hold up your arms.”
“Nn?”

Why? Oh, the breastplate. She had taken it off while I had been napping… That made sense. No way Lily would willingly hug a breastplate.

“Yumi…”
“Nn? Something wrong, Lily?”
“No… I just feel like I am watching my future self.”

The heck?

“Whatever, forget it. Let’s get back.”
“Uhh, sure?”

I was confused… but Lily had already turned her back to me, strolling towards the camp. Rina had already joined her side.

“Sis, what did she talk about?”
“I wonder?”

Karen tilted her head, similarly confused.

“Either way, we should follow.”
“Nn, we should.”

Karen offered her hand to me. I put my hand in hers, grasping it tightly. Then, we followed after Lily and Rina.


A few minutes later we had returned back to the camp. The mercenaries were already prepping the waroxen. A few had already finished up, resting on their driver’s bench and waiting for departure. Others again were still busy getting things into their wagons, without any noticeable sign of hurry.

“We’re really going back already, huh?” I mumbled.

Such a short venture… We hadn’t even spent a full day here. It was amazing, somehow.

“Yumi, there’s Mr Greyward.”

Following the direction Karen pointed to, I saw Greyward talking with another mercenary. Next to us, Lily froze up upon seeing him.

“Lily, let’s go to him.”
“Do I have to, Rina?”
“You want to make up with him, don’t you?”
“... I do.”
“Then go.”
“Ah, don’t push me!”

Rina pushed Lily towards Greyward, despite the latters reluctance. Maybe because we weren’t exactly quiet, but Greyward noticed us approaching. His gaze landed on Lily before he awkwardly averted his gaze and scratched the back of his head.

“Come on, Lily. You can do it!”
“Uhhh..”

Lily stared at Rina, then towards us as if she was pleading for help. However, I agreed with Rina. It was better to make up as quickly as possible.

Seeing that she had no allies left, Lily could do nothing but gaze forward, towards her father.

“...”
“...”

They both looked at each other, before looking away, neither saying a word.

“...”
“... Lily.”

The first to break the silence was Greyward, awkwardly addressing Lily.

“... Ye— Yes?”
“Err… Well… You know…”
“...”

He scratched his head again. As he did, I spotted a few pieces of rolled up paper in his arms. Maybe those were…

“... Are those?”
“Mh? Ahh… Well… I… I did try to… well… write one… I guess… So… You know… I’m sorry about earlier…”
“...”

Lily stared at the paper in his arms, her eyes tearing up again. Seeing those tears, Greyward started to panic.

“Li— Lily?! Is everything okay?!”
“It’— It’s… I’m fine… It’s— Uhhh…”

Greyward, flustered about the sudden tears, looked around in a panic before shoving the papers into the mercenaries arms and rushing over to Lily, hugging her.

“It’s fine, Lily! Everything’s fine.”
“Uhh…”
“I’m sorry… for being such an idiot parent. Really…”

A second later, we could hear a quiet sobbing coming from the two.

“Really… I’m sorry for making you worry so much… I never noticed… I’m really… truly… sorry…”
“... No… I… I’m also… sorry…”
“Lily…”

Greyward hugged his daughter close, tears were gathering in the corners of his eyes.

Really, what a troublesome father-daughter pair…

Just seeing them made me tear up as well. It was quite the problem.

Several minutes later, Lily had calmed down, wiping the tears away from the corners of her eyes. 

“Are you fine…”
“Mm, I’m fine…”
“Here, let me take a look.”

Greyward produced a handkerchief and wiped the tears away.

“Mm!”
“Hold still.”
“...”
“There, now you’re all pretty again.”
“... Idiot.”

Greyward smiled awkwardly, as he patted Lily on the head. Lily glanced towards the mercenary holding the three paper rolls now.

“... Those letters.”
“Ahhh… Well… I tried my best…”
“I see.”

Lily smiled. It was only a small smile but… it felt like it was the happiest I had seen her today.

“But why three? Did you run out of space?”
“I didn’t! I know how to write a proper letter, thank you very much! It took me a few attempts but I managed!”

But he still took a few attempts… Well, I only heard a little from Lily but it was probably not easy writing it. Still, I was wondering why three as well.

“The other two are for the temple and the military outpost… I still had some… time so I wrote them as well.”
“The temple and the outpost? What for?”
“The temple because I want to inquire about Karen and Rina’s situation.
“Huh? Ours?”

Karen spoke up in surprise, not having expected to become the topic.

“Yes. I still feel the situation is… strange. For one, I want to ask about the matter of the exile. However, I also requested some… information about the reason for the exile. I’m sorry. I hope you don’t mind.”

Greyward cautiously spoke, aware of how difficult the topic was. Karen furrowed her brows, likely unsure how to respond.

“Well… It’s… No… It’s… It’s fine. I want to know… as well. Rina, what do you say?”
“Mm… if Big Sis says it’s okay, then I don’t mind either.”

Greyward breathed a sigh of relief hearing their answer.

“Thank you. That… should hopefully shed some light on all of this.”
“Mm…”

The temple, huh… If they really could find out what had happened at that time… That would be helpful… At least, I hoped so… On the other hand I was worried… Worried about Karen and Rina… Even if they were seemingly prepared for it…

“The other letter is a little more boring. It’s just a request to the military fort. I know a few people so they might be able to help us find a few magicians or, if possible, people with knowledge of fort repairs.”
“Ohhh…”

So the last one was proper mercenary business.

“I only thought about it while writing the letter… So, yeah… Thank you, Lily…”
“That’s now what I was doing this for…”

Lily pouted in response, making Greyward laugh awkwardly.

“Yes… Yes, I know… Sorry, that’s now how I meant it… Err… Well… I mean… Ahhh…”

He pushed his hand on Lily’s head again, ruffling her hair furiously until it was an utter mess.

“Sorry for being so useless. Thanks. I’ll… at least try. I promise.”
“Mhm, good!”

Lily grinned again happily.

“Haaa… Really, I’m no match for you.”
“Hehehe, Papa, don’t you know? Fathers can never win against their daughters!”
“... Who the heck told you such a thing again?”
“Miss Arias!”
“Her aga— Wait, it wasn’t Yumias? Miss… Arias? Arias Karker?”
“Yes, her.”

Greyward stared at Lily, furrowing his brow.

“… She didn’t tell you anything else, did she?”
“Mmm? Like what?”
“Nothing… forget it. Just… don’t trust that old crow. She’s dangerous, trust me.”
“But she was nice.”
“...”

Speaking of which, Arias had mentioned she knew Greyward, didn’t she? I nearly forgot about that.

“Whatever… I… Haaa… Nevermind her.”

He shook his head, as if chasing away a very unpleasant thought. Then, he turned to Rina… and bowed his head.

“Rina. Thank you for earlier.”
“Mmm? I didn’t do anything though?”
“... Is that so?”

He stood up straight and a chuckle escaped him.

“Take care of Lily. Promise me.”
“I will! Promise!”
“Hehe… Lily, you really found a good girl… or rather, she found you, didn’t she?”
“Uhh…”

Lily blushed as he grinned knowingly.

“Well… Just keep it within reasonable limits, yes?”
“Papa!”
“Hahaha!”
“You idiot!”

Rina tilted her head, then turned to us.

“What does he mean?”
“... You should ask Lily later. In private,” I told her.
“Okay.”

She nodded, not questioning it further. What a good girl.

“Yumi, don’t tell her anything unnecessary!”
“I didn’t.”

This was absolutely necessary. For a healthy relationship between the two of them. And either way, I was fairly sure that wasn’t entirely new to them. After all, Rina was Karen’s little sister.

“Yumi, why are you suddenly looking at me?”
“Just wanted to see your face.”
“I see.”

Karen looked a little confused but quickly smiled at me.

“Why are they all beginning to flirt now…”
“Haha, that’s how the youth is, Captain!”

Oops, there was still an audience…

“Anyway, I will deliver the letters now. It might still take some time but you should nonetheless make sure that you are ready to leave, got that?”
“”Yes.””
“Nn.”
“Sure.”

Listening to our cacophony of different responses, Greyward smiled wryly. He then took the letters from the other mercenary again and made his way. After a few steps, Lily suddenly called out to him.

“Papa!”
“Mm?”
“Make up with her!”
“... I’ll try.”
“I want a lot of younger siblings!”
“Pffff! The hell are you talking about, Lily?!”
“Do your best!”

He covered his face with his free hand, blushing. At this moment I realised… There was nothing cute about a musclebound giant blushing like a teenage girl…

“You can do it!”
“You… Ah, forget it!”

He turned around stomping away as quickly as he could.

“Lily… You’re merciless.”
“Mm? I have no idea what you mean? Hehehe.”

She knew. She absolutely knew.

“I just want a few younger sisters and brothers. I’m looking forward to it.”
“You’re really optimistic.”
“Of course, I am. I mean, back then I thought I’d have a few by now… But better late than never.”

Lily was smiling, lost in her dreams of a big family.

“... I can already see it. If Mr Greyward really is going to have children, they’re all going to grow taller than Lily.”
“Yumi! Don’t say that!”
“Why not?”
“Because it sounds too realistic!”

Ahhh… Yeah, that was a good point. She also knew that was likely to happen, huh… Greyward himself was tall, after all. Mhm… Was Greyward taller than Korwen or not? I never paid attention to it. They were both towering far above me, after all.

“And in the first place, she’s not that tall…” mumbled Lily, probably not intending to be overheard.
“But she’s still taller than you I bet.”
“... She is.”

Knew it.

”Don’t worry, Lily! I love you the way you are!”

Rina pulled Lily into her arms, hugging her close and burying her face into Lily’s hair. Of course, Rina was taller than Lily, so she could do that easily.

“Uhhh… If only they hadn’t taken my amulet…”
“Nn? The one that made you look taller?”
“Yes!”

Right, they confiscated that from her…

“I think that was good, though.”
“I agree.”

Lily was better off like this.

“But nobody takes me seriously when I’m this small!”
“... I don’t think that amulet would have made a big difference.”
“There’s a big difference!”
“If you say so…”

Even with the amulet, she had appeared only to be around Rina’s height. Maybe slightly taller? Well, if she put it like that, it was quite a difference… But she’d still be rather short…

That only puts into perspective just how short she is, huh…

If I recalled correctly, it had been Yumias who had made that thing… I wouldn’t be surprised if she had made it solely for that purpose. I wouldn’t put it past her.

“Either way, Lily, just what am I supposed to say then?” I asked, looking up at her.

She returned the gaze, staring at me.

“...”
“...”
“... I guess there’s always someone worse off, isn’t there?”
“Rude.”

Sure, I basically presented the chance to her but still… It was rude.

“Just how can you manage like that?”
“Nn? Well, it’s nothing I can change anyway. I accepted it already. I mean, you know that this wasn’t the only thing I had to get used to.”
“... Now that you mention it, that’s right.”
“Nn.”

Being small was the smallest of my problems, really.

“And in the first place, I look cute like this, don’t I?”
“... Yumi, you’re not supposed to say that about yourself even if it’s true.”
“But it’s true.”
“... I guess.”
“See. And you’re also cute. We’re the same in that regard.”
“...”

It was a bit contrived but it wasn’t exactly wrong. And Lily was a cute girl.

“Right, Rina?”
“Mhm! Lily’s the cutest in the world!”
“Wow, now I’m jealous.”

Well, but that was probably only to be expected.

“Uhh… I get it! I get it already! I won’t complain anymore! Happy?! Woah, Rina?!”

Furiously blushing for umpteenth time today, Lily accepted her defeat, much to Rina’s delight, who immediately started to rub her cheek against Lily’s.

“Ehehe! Lily’s the cutest!”
”Uhhh…”

Well, they sure got along well… But Rina was definitely the one in control in that relationship.

“Why are you looking at me again, Yumi? And don’t tell me it’s nothing again.”

Karen stared at me dubiously, making it clear she wouldn’t take a lack of explanation again.

“No, I just thought you two really are sisters.”
“... I mean, we are, yes.”
“Lil’ Sis, you’re also my cute sister!”
“Nn, thanks, Rina.”

And what a blessed little sister I was.

“Hey, Lily…”

I turned to the limp girl in Rina’s embrace.

“... What?”
“... You can already practise calling me your older sister-in-law.”
“I absolutely never will!”

Lily shouted in protest while Rina and Karen were holding back their laughter.

Too bad.

51