Chapter 128 In Trouble
171 13 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Istan’s POV

 

Finally I made it back to the village. I was so excited to see my family again that I took off at a bit of a run. Turning around a corner I suddenly crashed into someone and barely managed to keep my feet under me. I guess I should not have been running so fast, I chided myself, seeing that I had knocked the other person to the ground. 

 

Recovering my balance I reached out my hand to help them up. What greeted my eyes was Leafia’s tear-stained face. “Leafia, are you…” I started to ask but she suddenly pushed herself off the ground and ran into the woods. 

 

Do I follow after her? I asked myself as I watched her running heavily with her bulging pack. I shook my head. She must be heading back to the human village. Emily is going to be able to help her more than I can. I knew her life here in the village was not good. But she can not have been back for more than an hour and she was already leaving in tears. Should I ask Forest Mother to see if she might be able to help? But I didn’t want to bother Forest Mother with something we could figure out on our own.

 

I put Leafia out of my thoughts and continued on my way, not wasting any more time. There was nothing I could do for Leafia now and I only had a few hours before I had to set off. I could not keep Forest Mother waiting in the morning. I would have to head out early.

 

“Honey, I am home,” I said walking in my front door for the first time in months. Our home was fairly modest, but it was well maintained. It really was all Allana’s doing. As much as it shames me to admit it, before I was married my home was a bit of a shambles. I dedicated all of my time, that was not spent guarding the pond, training. The techniques of fighting were much more satisfying than home upkeep. I could never bring myself to battle the mountain of laundry, dishes, and trash that overcame my private dwelling. When Allana agreed to become my wife, she said that she would not be taking care of a big house all by herself so we chose to have a small one. And when we brought our daughter into our home, the space never felt crowded. More space was unnecessary.

 

“Father, you’re home?” a voice came from the back room. A girl just starting to show the signs of turning into an adult poked her head out of her bedroom. 

 

“Bay, come here and give me a hug,” I said holding my arms open with a smile. 

 

“No,” she said going back into her room. The door slammed loudly, making the walls shake. I could almost feel the anger pulsing from her bedroom. Maybe a bigger house would be a good choice, after all….

 

I swallowed and squared my shoulders before heading into that ominous aura. I pushed open the door. “What’s wrong, Bay? Why no greeting for your father?” When I saw the look on Bay’s face, I froze. Pure rage!!!!! I racked my brain trying to figure out the source of this thunderous cloud. What did I do wrong this time? She was mad at me for something. Was she angry that I left without saying goodbye? I had rushed off after Forest Mother so quickly there hadn’t been an opportunity. Had I waited, she would have simply left me behind. No, I am sure the elders would have explained to them why I had to go. I had to think there was something else. Was she upset that I went to help Laurel? No, Bay would not be mad when it came to the Forest Mother. Would she? For all my furiously fast thinking, no answer was coming. 

 

“You can’t even figure it out,” she scoffed at me. “You really are a horrible father.” She came to the door and forced me out of it, then slammed it again. This time I heard scraping. It seemed she had blocked it with a chair.

 

“Please Bay. I want to make it up to you, whatever it is. If you can just tell me what’s wrong….?” I would beg if I had to. 

 

“Go away,” she pouted from inside her room.

 

I guess I would have to go for reinforcements. I was not going to be able to figure this out on my own.“Do you know where your mother is?” 

 

“Trying to run for help, I see. Well I am not telling you,” she said sternly.

 

What am I going to do now???? Allana is the only one I could count on to help me out when Bay was mad at me. I dropped my bag and fell to my knees by the doorway, preparing for defeat.

 

“Istan. You're finally home. I am so glad to see you.” My heart leapt! I heard the voice of my angel coming to my rescue. 

 

“Bay is mad at me!” I cried. “But she won't tell me why!”

 

“You really are a fool sometimes,” she said, looking at me with loving yet exasperated eyes. “Do you know what day it is?”

 

“No. I have been on the road and lost track of time,” I said feeling guilty. 

 

“Uhg. You do know it is winter at least.” I nodded my head to her question. “And you left in the Fall before the Autumn festival.” I nodded again. “Can you think of anything that happens every year shortly after the festival?” I racked my brain once more. I knew there was something important I was missing but it just was not coming. “Something that might be important to your daughter?”

 

Realization hit like a mighty tempest. Oh no. I did it this time. She was so upset last year because I had to work. She made me promise over and over again that I would make it. But in the end I failed. What was I going to do? Bay might never speak to me again. I had to fix this. She was my only daughter. 

 

I slumped further down on the ground, trying to figure out what to do. As I internally ravaged my brain for any idea of how to salvage the situation, I allowed my head to drop onto my bag. Suddenly a floral scent filled my nostrils. I gulped hard. It would be a wrench to let this treasure go. But this was the only way. I had to do it. Steeling my resolve, I knocked softly on the closed door.

This is part 1 of 2. The next part should be out soon. I waited a little to be able to release both.

6