Chapter 130 Eye catching
208 8 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Laurel’s POV

 

I truly enjoyed my rest yesterday afternoon and through the night. Things had been so hectic that I had not been able to take any time for myself since I had left my companions to rush back to my woods. After everyone had left to run their errands yesterday morning, I found a grove of evergreens and spent the remainder of the time letting my consciousness go. 

 

But now the sun was starting to rise and I felt that it was wrong to be the last one ready to go when I was the one dragging them all with me to chase after my friends. Reluctantly, I pulled myself out of the undergrowth that had grown around me and gathered up Istan’s and Leafy’s packs. 

 

I exited my woods just north of the village and saw Emily’s home a little ways off from the trees. As I walked into Emily’s garden I saw Gray getting ready to head out somewhere. From the joyful noises coming from inside I could tell Leafia was already here. 

 

“Good morning,” I called out to Gray. “It seems Leafy made it here early this morning.”

 

“She actually spent the night,” Gray responded. Seeing me raise a questioning eyebrow, he continued. “It seems that being back in the village was bringing up some unpleasant memories. She showed up here just after sunset asking if she could stay with us.”

 

I knew Leafy did not have a very pleasant life in the village and did not have much of a family to speak of. But I never thought it would be so bad to make her wish to leave as soon as she made it back there. 

 

“No sign of Istan yet?” I asked. Part of me half expected him to be the first one ready to go. 

 

“He must have spent the night in the elven village to be with his family.” I had forgotten that he had a family. He talked about them so rarely. I wonder what I can do for them since I am taking their husband and father for so long, I thought to myself.

 

“I am guessing that he will not be here until midday,” Gray said. Part of me wished I had given him more time with his family, but the anxiousness I felt hearing that he would not be here until noon made it clear that waiting was not an option. I needed to find Mist now. I would set out on my own if I had to wait another day. 

 

Hoping Gray was wrong, I sent out my power into the forest for signs of Istan. I had no luck finding the lone elf. I was about to give up when my ‘sight’ caught upon a group of three travelling though my woods in this direction. Two of them were obviously elves by the magic power they possessed. Even for the elves it was impressive. The third just had a small spark of power. You might even think that he was a human. But this was the one that caught my attention the most. That stride was very familiar. I had seen it many many times over the last few decades. That rather pathetic spark of power also had a familiar ‘flavor’.

 

“Istan will be here in just over an hour,” I said to Gray, who gave me a slightly dumbfounded look before shaking his head and shrugging. Seeing that Gray was not going to say anything I continued, “Where are you off to this morning? Did you need to get more supplies?” 

 

“I was about to head over to Gram’s and pick up the horses,” he said, standing up after he finished fastening his shoes. 

 

From the noises I could hear from inside the house Emily and Leafy were busy getting things ready for the day. As much as I wanted to spend time with them I knew I would just get in the way if I tried to help. Sitting around and just waiting for everyone to be ready did not feel right. I know they would never say anything about it. But they were all here helping me get my friends back. I should be putting in more work than anyone. There was only one way I could think of to help. “Can I come with you?”

 

“You don’t have to. I can fetch them on my own,” Gray said, surprised by the offer of help.

 

“I have to think it is a bit hard to walk those five horses over here on your own,” I replied. The look on Gray’s face made it clear that he was not looking forward to it. “Just let me help. We both know I will not be of any use in there,” I said pointing to the house.

 

“Why not come along, then,” Gray said, giving in and starting down the path. 

 

As we walked down the road, Gray seemed keenly aware of all the looks that I was attracting. “Do you want to put on a cloak or something?” Gray said as we passed a farmer heading to the market. The farmer had nearly run into the ditch because he was staring at me as we passed. I had regrown my clothes, so I was not sure why I was drawing that much attention. Surely people would not be that distracted because of my green hair. 

 

“Very few things would be worse for me than putting that cloak back on. With any luck I will never have to wear human clothes again,” I said, ignoring the small commotion. 

 

Gray looked at me for a second before turning forward and continuing on our way. But I heard him mutter, “That was one of the nicest cloaks I have ever seen. It can’t have been that bad.”

 

“You don’t put a sack over a plant,” I retorted. “And look, I have already grown proper clothing. I know you mortals have something against going naked. I can understand it in the winter time. But doesn’t it get too hot in the summer?”

 

“Never seen anywhere where that counts as proper. You would be hard pressed to find any lady to show that much skin,” he said, looking over at me again. 

 

I had my skin turned into birch bark from just under my shoulders all the way down to my mid calves and even grew a birch paper skirt over the bark stretching almost to my mid thighs. Not only was most of my skin bark, the skirt provided a second layer, surely that had to be what the mortals called modesty. I really did not see what the problem was. “Is it really that strange to have my arms not covered?” I provided the only guess I could come up with. 

 

“Yes,... No… Well it’s not a big issue.” I looked at him trying to get him to go on but it seemed more effective at turning him red than getting an answer. But there was no way he was going to win a staring contest against a plant. “Your dress is a little too revealing,” Gray finally said. Under his breath. 

 

“Too revealing? It is covering almost all my skin.” I was puzzled. 

 

Gray sighed. Clearly this was not going as well as he thought. “Your clothes reveal what you look like. They are a lot more…. Snug than what humans wear.”

 

I finally saw what the issue was. Or at least what Gray said the issue was. “If these clothes are causing too much of a problem, I could go back to being naked.”

 

“No, that would not work,” Gray said in a hurry, bringing a smile to my face. I have been wearing this longer than any of them have been alive. I was not going to change now. 

 

Sorry for the long delay. I have no excuse unless you count a lack of motivation. I am hoping to get back to a regular release.

5