Chapter 52 Muddy toes
411 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It got dark early because of the rain. It had not stopped all day, but at least it did not get any worse. There was a larger town not that far in the distance and we decided to continue on until we reached it instead of setting up camp in the rain. This was not an issue for myself and the elves. We could see in lower light. Gray was having a little bit of difficulty. But the biggest problem was the horses. They could not see any better than normal humans and did not want to continue walking. Our pace had slowed and it would take a long time to reach the town at this rate. 

 

I did not want to prolong my companions suffering longer than I had to, so I decided to lead the horses. I had already made it to the front of the group since I had by far the best night ‘vision’. But I was not confident enough of a rider for the horse to trust me while it was blind. 

 

There was no other way to do it but to jump down and pull them by the reins. 

 

“Laurel, what are you doing? Are you alright?” Istan practically shouted in concern as he saw me dismount. I can say I was proud of him not calling me Forest Mother.

 

I turned around and said, “I will lead the horses. We will get there faster that way. Can you please tie all the reins together?”

 

As I looked at them I heard Gray say, “Her eyes are glowing like a cat’s.” I guess I have been doing my best to use my powers with my eyes closed so that it would be less noticeable. It seems like I have done something right. That would be why Gray had not yet noticed it. But I would have the best results this evening by combining plant sight with my actual eyes.

 

“Let me lead them for you,” Istan demanded. 

 

“Do you think that you can keep up with me and the horses?” I asked raising an eyebrow. Though I was not sure even he could see it in this low light. “I was even thinking of going for a jog this time. The distance is not that far.”

 

I noticed Leafia shudder and Istan was also at a loss for words. The horses should be able to keep up with me as I jogged, at least for a little while. There was not much spiritual energy here, but it would be enough to sustain me while I was running, at least for a little while. I had never tested myself to my limit but I knew I could continue for days as long as there was sufficient energy. Speed was the bigger issue. I was not capable of sprinting. I just could not move faster than a jog. I think it might have to do with me being a plant. Plants rarely moved quickly. 

 

Faun was able to sprint. Her endurance was many times higher than any animal’s, but she would still need to rest like they did. But as far as I knew, I never ‘needed’ a rest. That did not stop me from liking to lay down for the winter. 

 

I was worried that they would not listen and I would have to bind the horses together with vines. But Emily came to my rescue by pulling out a long piece of rope, tying her reins to it, and handing the loose end to Gray. 

 

Seeing that their horses were all tied on, I said, “Let me know if you are having any problems back there,” and started to walk. I started a little slow but the horses gained confidence quickly since they were now being led by the front. The cloak was really getting annoying, pulling at my neck. Since there was no one around and humans could barely see, I let my horse catch up to my side and tucked the cloak into the saddle. 

 

It felt so nice to feel the rain on my skin and the mud in my toes as I ran. Dryads weren't meant to wear cloth. Or clothes at all, for that matter. I was tempted to even ‘remove’ my birch bark ‘clothing’. But on the off chance that Istan’s eyes were good enough to see me, I refrained. Leafia was a friend and female, so that did not bother me. But there way no way that I was going to let Istan see me like that when I had the strength to care. 

 

It only took a half hour with me leading the horses to approach the gates of the city. If we just continued on as we were it would have taken at least twice that long. It also felt really nice to let myself be free, but that had to end now. I sighed as I put my cloak back on and we untied the horses. We were only a few hundred strides from the gate and they might be able to notice us with the light from the torches. 

 

There were a few guards milling around the open gate. I was growing a little nervous thinking that they might stop us but they simply nodded to us as we passed through. After we were through the gate I asked Gray, “Why didn’t they stop us or ask us any questions?”

 

Gray could only shrug his shoulders. “I have never been to a town this large before.”

 

“Unless there is an emergency they only stop merchants to collect taxes. Some cities try taxing all travelers, but most don’t because people won’t want to live in a city that you have to pay to dump your garbage.” Emily explained. I guess Emily would know more about other places. I am just so used to treating Gray as our guide. 

 

We walked up to a decent looking inn to arrange our lodging for the night. The main room was crowded as we entered, but Gray was not deterred and walked up to the counter. “We are looking for some rooms for the night,” Gray said to the old man sitting behind the counter. 

 

“We only have tree single rums left, are ye still interested?” the man said. His accent was thick but I was able to understand him somehow. 

 

“Maybe we should try somewhere else,” Gray said slightly remorsefully.

 

“Mightn’t have luck with that,” the old man said. “The town’s pretty fulled up with the festivus goin on in the capital.” After processing what the man said for a moment Gray turned to look at us to see what we should do.

 

Turning to Leafia I asked, “Leafy, do you mind sharing a room with me?”

 

Leafia was a bit startled by the proposition, but quickly smiled and said, “If you are alright with that.”

 

Emily whispered in my ear just loud enough so that Leafia could here too. “Are you sure about that? You know she snores.”

 

I also whispered back, “It has been my serenade along with the crickets during my night watch this whole time.”

 

“I do not snore,” Leafia said indignantly. However, her voice was loud enough to let the other know what we were saying. I noticed Gray bite his lip and the man behind the counter turn his head to avoid laughing. Istan seemed to have no response to Leafia’s outburst, on the other hand. 

 

“There only be one bed. You sure about that?” the old man asked. 

 

Gray looked at me to confirm to which I nodded. Then Gray responded to the man. “Yes. My wife and I will share, the two ladies will share and Istan will have his own room.”

 

“Okidoky. It is 60 quill a night fir the tree rooms. Do ye want to buy ye dinner firs or go to ye rooms?”

 

“Lets go to our rooms and set down our things and I will go stable the horses. Hopefully some seats will open up by then,” Gray said while looking around the almost full dining room. 

 

“Maribell,” the old man said loudly.

 

“What is it, Grandpa?” A young lady who looked about the same age as Ivy said while carrying a tray of dirty dishes back to the kitchen.

 

“Show these guests to their rooms,” he said while holding up three keys. 

 

“Just a sec,” she said while running back to the kitchen to set her tray down. Then coming to the counter where we were, she said, “Thanks for stayin with us,” with a small bow while she grabbed the keys that her grandfather had set on the counter. “Please follow me.”

 

Leafia and I were shown to a room on the second floor. Before the other three headed up to the third floor. I asked, “Is a half hour enough time for you to take care of the horses?”

 

“That should not be a problem,” Gray responded. 

 

“Ok. See you then.” I said taking the key from Maribell.

 

Would you forgive me if I said that I had this chapter done for four days and forgot to post it?.....

14