Chapter 63 Laurel’s Diagnosis
391 7 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood there in that secluded spot in the garden, trying to fill up my reserves with the little energy this garden had to spare and the energy I made from the sun. I could feel my consciousness slipping away from me as I regained my power. It was such a wonderful feeling. I just wanted to melt into the plants. It was truly bliss. 

 

It was probably a little over an hour when I noticed someone approaching as they stepped on the clover between the paving stones. I hastily pulled my dress back on and did my best to tie the ribbon. I was having a hard time keeping it straight, but it would have to do. They were about to round the corner as I quickly threw the cloak back over my shoulders. 

 

“Lady Laurel, it is time for breakfast.” It was the same maid that helped me earlier. 

 

“Sorry about making you come find me. I enjoyed this garden so much that I lost track of time.” The maid did not say anything in response, but led me back into the house and into a different room. Everyone else was also there. It looked like they were all waiting on me. 

 

“Sorry I made you wait. I was going for a stroll in the winter garden and lost track of time,” I said with a bow to everyone in the room. 

 

“That is quite alright,” Lillian said. “I am glad that you are starting to feel better. But come, let us eat. After we finish, I hope that you will be willing to hear my request.”

 

“Of course. I will be more than happy to help in any way I can. You have already done so much for us.” 

 

We ate breakfast will only casual conversations. True to her word, she was not going to broach the subject until after we finished eating. There was noticeably more food than would be required for the six of us. I thought maybe more people would be joining us, but there was no sign or sound of another guest. Jennifer was standing by the side of the room. When I asked why she did not join us, she responded, “It would not be proper for the servant to sit and eat with their master.” I would not have minded sharing the meal with Jennifer,  but I did not want to break the rules they had established, so I said nothing. But I did note that Lillian smiled wryly at this interchange. She then changed the conversation. I had to wonder what was different about last night when she sat in the parlor with us. 

 

“I hope that there is something here you enjoy. I did not know what would be palatable to elves, so I had the chef prepare a variety of dishes,” she said, gesturing to the food on the table. I guess her uncertainty about the elves explained why she had prepared enough food for a dozen Grays. I could see him eyeing several of the dishes in anticipation. 

 

“We typically eat mostly fruits and vegetables,” Istan said in response to Lillian.

 

“That is a tradition more than a dietary requirement,” Leafia added. “I, for one, have come to enjoy some of this more hearty human food during my travels.”

 

“Feel free to eat whatever you want, there should be more than enough,” Lillian said and started to serve food onto her plate. Gray nearly pounced on some type of breakfast meat, scooping a large helping onto his plate. I could hear Emily’s repressed sigh as she rolled her eyes with a fond smile. Leafia was only slightly more reserved than Gray. 

 

The conversation around the table mainly centered on how we slept. It seems that Leafia at least was very satisfied with the bed. And before we were done, Lillian had heard Istan’s comparison of elven beds and human beds out in great detail. I did not pay much attention to it since to me there was no better bed than some fresh black dirt. But I was not sure even Istan would hear me out on that one.

 

Once we had finished eating we were lead back to the parlor. The tension was high as we all grabbed our seats and waited for Lillian to start the conversation. 

"Well, now that it comes to it, I find this difficult to discuss." Lillian paused for a moment and composed herself. "My daughter is very ill. She once was a healthy and energetic child, but about a year and a half ago, the fevers started. She started to feel weak with frequent rashes. I was so distressed. I approached apothecaries and doctors all over town. But one after another, they gave up on her and have refused to help. They say the case is 'beyond hope'." Her voice broke for a moment, Jennifer walked up behind her and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder for a moment. Lillian took a deep breath and continued once again. "I know it may be impossible to cure her. But I so badly want to see her well again. Any comfort or help you can offer her would put me deeply in your debt." She took another deep breath to get the words out between her tears. “Even if you can just ease her pain.” At this, Lady Lillian bowed her head to me.

 

“I will not guess at any treatments until I see your daughter. All I can say for now is that I will be honest with you on what you can expect from whatever treatment is needed,” I said somberly. “I would rather see her condition for myself than trust the diagnosis made by others. When would I be able to meet your daughter?”

 

“I figured as much myself. We can go see her immediately if you are ready.”

 

I had no reason to delay so I agreed. I asked Emily and follow me, but told the rest to stay in the parlor. They would be no help in figuring out what was wrong with the girl, and too many people would just get in the way. We were led to a room on the far side of the second floor from where we stayed. 

 

The room we entered was much more luxurious than the ones we stayed in, but I paid that little attention. My focus was on the bed. There laid a young lady that, if appearances were accurate, looked just a few years younger than Emily (though I knew at least for Emily that was not the case).

 

“Mother, I told you not to bother with another doctor. Most of the time they only make things worse.” The girl and clearly given up hope on ever getting better.

 

“Please, Camilla, I know if we keep looking, we can find something that will help. It pains me to see you like this.”

 

I decided to give Lillian a hand. “I guarantee I am not like the other doctors you have seen. I promise that if I do not know how to make you better, I will at least be able to ease your pain.”

 

“All the doctors say the same thing. I have no reason to think you are any different,” she spat back at me. 

 

Lillian was about to say something to the girl, apparently named Camilla, but I stopped her. “How about I show you.” In the corner of the room was a cactus plant I had never seen before. It seemed to be a type that liked the cold and was getting ready to flower in front of the window. Since I was going to make a show of it, I raised my arm and pointed my palm at the plant. I could see the small glow of power from my hand and from the plant. The buds on the plant quickly developed and in a matter of seconds the red flowers were in bloom. Lillian and her daughter were shocked at the display of my power, but I could not help but break their tension. “The plant is too close to the fire and could use a little more water. It will do even better next year if you take a little better care of it.” 

 

“A sorceress?” Camilla asked, while Lillian was looking at my face. “I never knew your eyes would glow.” It was then that I realized that I forgot to close my eyes. 

 

“It is a rare trait for magicians, but I think it is because of my particularly strong gift.” I hoped my excuse would cover. I keep getting dangerously close to blowing our cover story.

 

Emily walked over to the plant and looked at it closely I then heard her whisper, “I thought we came here to diagnose the person, not the plant.” I noticed a slight eye roll as she turned around and looked to the girl on the bed.

16