Chapter 77 Recovery
353 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

In the end we set up a meeting with the Count the following morning. The steward seemed slightly put out that it would have to wait that long, but I was not sure what time my companions would be back, so this was the best we could do. It really made me wonder why he was so desperate to meet with me. Yes his son had definitely been a jerk, but is was nothing Leafia and I could not handle. I was more than willing to just let fallen logs lie. In a few years it would all be forgotten. 

 

Now that the Count’s steward had left, Jennifer had taken a seat across from Lillian and myself. I turned to Lillian and said, “There was one thing I wondered about while we met with to steward. Why did you come and get me and not send one of the maids?”

 

“I just felt like going for a stroll,” she said calmly.

 

“My lady often tells me that lies are unbecoming of a lady,” Jennifer put in with a smile.

 

“How is it any more becoming to have lost all tact?” Lillian sighed. “But, for the sake of candor, I truly cannot tolerate that arrogant....” She took a moment to breathe quite deliberately. “The Count’s steward is common born, and through his hard work he has achieved the highest standing of any commoner in the country. Because of that, if you do not hold a noble title he does not show you much respect.” 

 

“I feel guilty to be exposing my ignorance, but what are nobles and commoners?” I asked not being able to understand the conversation. 

 

“You really did live your life in seclusion.” Lillian sighed once again. She then whispered very softly to herself, “I guess that is to be expected of a dryad.” Then speaking to the room she said, “Nobles are the people who rule over parts of the country. Commoners are everyone else. This distinction stays in place independent of wealth. Even though my late husband and I have obtained great wealth, I am still technically lower in position than the poorest Baron.” I was not exactly sure what a Baron was, but I thought I understood her point. 

 

“If you are a commoner why does everyone in the city seem to respect and fear you so much? When I mentioned that we were staying at your home after the incident this morning, everyone became much more helpful and I saw fear in some of their eyes.” It was a relief to finally shed one of the questions that have been weighing me down. I really needed to find a good time to talk to Leafia about why she blushed so much.

 

“That would be because of salt.” She paused for a moment but could see that I had no comprehension. “I control about 80% of the salt used in this country as well as several other countries.” Now it made sense to me. Animals needed  salt to live. “There was a Marquis once who was trying to obstruct our business and seize our assets. My husband cut off the salt trade with his territory. It did not take long for the populace to protest and run the Marquis off.” Not sure what a Marquis was, but the way she said it, a Marquis must be much more impressive than a Baron.

 

“Then what about yesterday?” It was her turn to look a little confused. “Why were you having such a hard time getting help from the apothecary?”

 

“To an individual, I am just a wealthy merchant. They have no need to fear me. Especially here in the capital.” I guess that made sense. No normal person would cut the whole city off of salt just because one person upset her. 

 

I sat there for some time thinking of the complex power setup these humans had. Lillian was feared and respected by those at the top but the people at the bottom showed none. I realized I was getting lost in thought, and not wanting Lillian to doubt the sincerity of my apology, I decided now was a good time to fulfill my promise to restore Camilla. I doubted I would be able to focus if the others came back with news on Faun. 

 

“Lillian, may I prepare the medicine for your daughter now? I see no point in waiting.” Lillian’s face lit up and she quickly led us to the sitting room off Camilla’s bedroom. Yes, this was the right choice. I requested a glass of water and was given one by Jennifer. Lillian then asked Jennifer to step out of the room. It looked like she was trying to help me keep my secret even from Jennifer. I put two fingers directly into the cup and began making the necessary changes. It was simpler to prepare the medicine this way. 

 

One nice thing about being found out was that I did not have to pretend to use the kitchen. I was not sure I could manage to make a soup as a base. Plus, while my attempt at cooking may cure her illness, I’m sure it would give Camilla a stomach ache. Thinking of cooking reminded me of Ivy, and I smiled. I wondered how she was doing with making porridge?

 

I really just wanted to retreat to my room after handing the medicine off to Lillian. But as I was about the leave the sitting room she grabbed my hand and pulled me into Camilla’s bedroom. “To think how lucky I am,” she said as we walked. “A plant spirit from the stories has come to my house. And her medicines will save my daughter.” She was beaming so brightly.

 

I was hesitant to state my next request, but I needed to for Faun’s sake. “It might not be needed for me to ask seeing as you asked Jennifer to step out, but please, don’t tell anyone who we are. My friend’s life is at stake. I don’t know what will happen if the man who took her learns that we are coming before we find him.” I know I was telling her more information. But in the end it seemed that she was focused too much on her daughter to even notice.

 

“Don’t worry. I do not plan to tell anyone. Everyone would just think that I have lost my mind,” she said while opening the door into her daughter's room. 

 

As we walked into the room I could tell she was feeling a little better. She let out the first smile that I had seen from her. Being handed the medicine she did not hesitate to take it this time, but still drank it slowly, relishing the flavor. 

 

“This one tastes different from what you gave me this morning,” Camilla said, sounding slightly sad. And then she realized her face was showing a little too much of her thoughts. “Don’t get me wrong, this medicine still tasted good and I trust that it will make me better. But I really liked the flavor of the other one. 

 

“I am glad that you liked it so much. But I am afraid that you won’t be needing that medicine any more.” I said with a smile.

 

“Why?... But how?” She looked confused.

 

“As I was out today this new recipe came to me. You should already be able to feel it working in you. You should be able to recover fully in just a few days.”

 

I was expecting her to be excited about being healed but instead she became depressed. “What’s wrong dear. Are you having a reaction to the medicine?” Lillian said in concern.

 

“It’s just that… I really liked that medicine. I will never get to taste it again,” she said. She tried to put on a happier face, but the effect was ruined with a pout that was still evident behind the fake smile. 

 

I saw Lillian look to me imploringly. I just had to let out a laugh. Imagine someone wanting to still be sick so she could take more medicine. “You should not take more medicine when you don’t need it. It is not good for your body.” The pair both looked so crest-fallen. It was clear how much Lillian wanted to give Camilla what she wanted. Lillian helped us out so much, I had to help them out a little. “I should be able to make you a tea matching the flavor. Would that do?”

 

After I promised  her the tea and received many thank yous from Camilla for it, though none for the restorative medicine, I returned to my room. I had no need for rest but I did not feel like trying to be social with Lillian any longer. It was not like I did not like her, but everyone needs a break, and the room was the closest thing I could get to my pond. I thought about going out to the garden again, but I noticed Istan walking around the garden and did not want to deal with another instance like what happened with Lillian.

 

Happy Turkey Day (to those in the USA). For those in Canada I am sorry my Thanksgiving message was a month late. And to the rest of the world, you really do not know what you are missing. A day to eat too much food and be grateful to do it with your friends and family. It was satisfying to eat after 4 hours of cooking.

15