Chapter 96 Apple Mist?
317 20 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rest of Ivy’s story was a lot less interesting. It seems like Ivy had just walked to my woods with nothing happening besides her avoiding farms. It also might have been that she seemed slightly deflated after Mist got dispersed. Her arms at least were much less animated. 

 

After the story was over I really did not know what to do. It would be several days or weeks until Leafia and the rest made it back. And judging by the way things felt, the Elders were going to visit me tomorrow. I could have listened into their conversations if I really wanted to, but that would spoil the ‘fun’. I was tempted to find something that would keep me from being able to meet with them. But since they were actively doing me a favor I could not really ditch them. 

 

There was one thing I did resolve on, though, and I spoke up to my current companions to let them know. “I want to rest. It has been a long journey and I need to look over the forest and see how it has been.”  

 

“You just got back and are already going to sleep,” Mist complained light heartedly. 

 

Conveniently, one of the apples leftover from the previous fight was laying near my resting spot so I picked it up and tossed it at her. As I noticed earlier Mist did not even try dodging the apple because it should just pass right through her. But I had some tricks that Ivy and even Mist did not know about. As I threw the apple I loaded it with too much spiritual energy. It was no longer stable. As soon as it came in contact with Mist’s own energy, it was tipped over the edge and exploded into a cloud of mush inside of her. It might seem a bit cruel to a mortal to set off an explosion inside a friend. But for Mist, if anything it would help her growth as she just got a large dose of energy. Though I have to say that the conversion rate into the water energy she needed was likely really poor. So if anything this was just benign. 

 

However Mist did not seem to enjoy the delivery method as she shouted, “Gross!” and rushed back to the pond. 

 

As I watched Mist rush into the water I saw Ivy looking at me longingly. I wanted to teach her. I had spent so much time teaching other dryads and she had only had a few days of instruction. I know it was not fair, but right now I needed to rest and to search my relm. So all I said was, “Ask Rine.”

 

There was a small protest from the fairy, but I just let it be as I closed my eyes and let my consciousness spread throughout the forest. I could not help but smile as I noticed that Rine took up his perch on Ivy’s shoulder despite his protest. 

 

Everything was about what I would expect in my woods. I had already looked over the eastern end of my domain when I first reached the forest while searching for Maximus and casting off the blight. Now I was doing a much more detailed scan of the forest. The life in the forest was still going strong, but as Rine had said things had slowed down. 

 

Since I was satisfied with my detailed search on the eastern half of my forest yesterday, after a quick search I cast my mind to the western part of my realm. I hate to admit it but this area of my forest was slightly neglected. I spent much more time on the eastern side of my forest where the humans live. It was convenient that she could not reach me here to nag me, but on the western side by the ocean there were also fewer people. The forest could much more easily manage itself. There was only a small fishing village for the humans and then more to the north there were those beings that looked like Faun with animal ears. But compared to the human kingdoms they were rather gentle to my forest. Focusing to my utmost, I could just sense the edge of my forest at the coast and the small village. It had grown over the decades and was now what might be considered a respectable size. But it seemed that their sights were still to the great river since they cleared very little land for fields. 

 

The animal men though seemed to be developing quickly. It looked like I would not be able to ignore them for much longer. It was only a few hundred years ago that they started to settle down into villages instead of wandering the plains and the forest. Their towns had started to grow and fields were starting to expand into my forest from the plains between Mother Sea and the mountains. I wanted to just have the elves deal with it. But I was sad to say that it would be a long walk for the elves to meet with them. This situation I would have to deal with myself. But I had learned something from my journey with Leafy and Emily. I think I might try what Yew did and offer them help in exchange for protecting my lands. Things could wait a few more years. Faun would be really helpful with them as they looked nearly the same.

 

Continuing my probe I noticed a few fires along the desert near the south of my land. I was not worried about them, they were small seasonal fires. That part of my domain needed fires to stay healthy by clearing away the underbrush and leaf litter. But every time I saw fires I could not help remembering that incident when the fire sprite started running wild. I might have been a little paranoid, but I probed the fires for any spiritual presence. I was not able to find any consolidated energy in them. I let out a sigh of relief. These were just normal fires so I was fine with just letting them be. 

 

Thinking about that fire sprite, I really should visit her again and bring some wood for her. I am sure she is tired of nothing but gas fumes. I hope the vent has held out, I said to myself. But it had been a few millennia. I would probably go visit her once things had settled down here for a few years. Probably after I dealt with those animal men. That vent was a little to the west in the desert, so it would be on my way back. 

Sorry for a bit of a delay in getting this out. I needed to do some consistency reviews before I published. 

So what do you think of my new cover? I think it turned out well for my very limited experience with paint. I am no Bob Ross but I think my trees will be happy enough anyway.

13