Chapter 12 Angering the Goddess
1.2k 1 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I did not learn much new from what Gray had to tell me. But it was enough to confirm that the magician was the cause of the blight. Gray had once seen him use his magic to wither a plant. I also learned that Gray did not think that the magician was from Yana. Apparently, some of his mannerisms were wrong, but when I asked where he felt the magician might be from he could not give a good answer.

 

“I have another question for you. While you were out with the magician did you ever see a deer that was behaving oddly?”

 

Gray thought for a moment. “There was a deer that I would often see in the woods in the springtime. The most beautiful doe I had ever seen. I tried several times to hunt it, but it was too smart and would always find ways to keep me from aiming at it. I quickly stopped targeting it after seeing how much more intelligent it was than most deer. Many days it would just watch from a long way off. For some reason I got the impression that the deer was as smart as a human. It would be wrong to kill something like that for food.

 

“She was there the day that I saw the magician use his magic. His leg got tangled in a vine and he was getting frustrated so he just caused the plant to rot away. As we walked away, the deer showed up behind us. It was as if she was looking at the rotten vine. I wondered what she thought about it. I know I was disturbed.

 

“Now that I think about it, that was the last time I saw the doe. And a few days later the magician went away for several months. The deer did not come back after that.”

 

It had been a long time since I had felt rage but I was feeling it now. “I will make that magician pay for whatever he has done to Faun.” Unintentionally, the rage I was feeling radiated through me and escaped from my body. Emily clasped her head and let out a shriek before she slumped over while Istan and Leafia started to cower.

 

“It hurts. It hurts. Please make it stop,” I heard Leafia whimper as tears of pain poured down her cheeks.

 

I had let my emotions overrun me and lost control of my power. Seeing their pain and fear brought me back to my senses. I had to regain control if I wanted to find Faun. Letting my powers rampage would just cause more pain. I took several deep breaths to steady myself and cleanse the aura I was releasing. I also restrained my presence back in. I had let it expand when I lost control. When I finally felt the others’ pain had abated, I quietly stated, “Everyone, I am sorry I lost my temper.”

 

“Forest Mother! We are unworthy of your apologies.” Istan said with more concern for my humility than for the suffering he went through.

 

“I told you to call me Laurel. Remember that you promised to call me that. And when I am wrong, I apologise.”

 

“But everyone here knows who you are.”

 

“Think of this as training.”

 

“What  just happened?” Gray asked in confusion as he hugged Emily trying to comfort her.

 

“It was the most foolish thing that I have ever done to come live next to your woods. If I somehow angered you by my being here I would be dead in an instant with no chance of resisting. It felt like there was a fire raging in my head destroying everything.” Emily said while shivering in fear.

 

“I am sorry Emily, I really am not trying to get you to leave. I want you to stay. I think I have been lonely. I have not seen another of my kind for so many hundreds of years. Please don’t leave me.” I was surprised when I felt my eyes filling with tears. I guess that these last 500 years have been harder on me that I thought. To imagine that I would get so emotional at the idea of losing a friend that I just made. I must really get out more often. I scrubbed the tears away and was caught by another thought. It hurts so much to not have Faun here. I don’t want to lose a friend again.

 

“I won’t leave” Emily said while taking slow breaths to calm down. Oddly I felt a rush of relief from her reply. “But I have never been more afraid for my life than now. Please tell me before I anger you. I never want to go through that again.” Tears started to roll down her face again as she remembered the pain.

 

“Thank you for staying. And don’t worry, you won’t anger me. You are not the type to abduct people from their homes. That magician is going to regret the day that he messed with my woods.”

 

Now, what was the best way to make sure I find that magician and get Faun back? I think what I really needed was a ‘human’ I could trust. I looked around me and made my decision.

 

“I know what I am about to ask is very selfish, but would you please help me search for the magician?” I said and bowed deeply to them. “I may not be able to offer you money as you know it but I will reward you well for your efforts.”

 

There was a profound silence as I remained bowing. “Great Forest Mother, you are our Goddess. How could you lower your head to others?” Istan asked in shock, and got glared at by me for not calling me by name.

 

“Forest *cough* Laurel, Please raise your head. It is our calling to serve you.” Leafia said while sounding slightly more rote than Istan.

 

“P-p-p-please raise your head. Y-y-y-you h-h-h-ave no need t-t-t-o bow to us, you are the first Dryad. H-h-h-ow could you bow to me?” Emily seemed to have the biggest shock of the day just now. She seems rather easily excited to me.  Is it really that big of a deal that I came to visit?

 

Lowering myself till my upper body was horizontal, I replied, “I will grovel in the dirt if that is what it takes for me to find Faun. That might not have been the best analogy for me to give you.” I paused, thinking hard of how to get my point across. After all, I am the plant spirit and often spend time with the dirt and bury ‘roots’ in the ground.... “What would be better.... I know, fire! That’s the bane of us plants. No that does not work, you don’t bow over a fire... Coals! That will work, hot coals. I will bow over hot coals…. No, how about prostrate myself on a bed of coals...  Does that work...?”

 

Gray chimed in, “I think we all understand what you mean. As for your request for help?” While Gray turned towards Emily to seek her opinion, I realized I had been speaking out loud. Do they still think I am a goddess, when I can’t figure out what to say? Emily was still working on recovering herself so it took a moment for her to notice. The elves were not that much better. It seemed like Gray had taken the least shock from my behavior.

 

After a moment Emily replied with a small smile, “I feel we need to help her Gray. She is family now.” For some reason... She did not seem like she was scared. She had already recovered from my rage earlier. Then why were her shoulders shaking? Could she be laughing?

 

“Then we will help her,” Gray said with a smile. He turned to me, “How may we be of service?”

 

“Thank you,” I smiled. “I do not know the Human lands. I will need you two to act as my guide and help me find the magician. Emily, you said that the magician uses tricks and traps. I will need your help to detect them. We must make sure we do not get caught in any. I am guessing that is what happened to Faun. She should not have lost in a fair fight. Not in her home forest.  I can give you tomorrow to put everything in order but I feel that we must set out the following day. The longer we wait to follow that magician the harder it will be to find him. Can you be ready to leave the day after tomorrow?”

 

“We can be ready by morning tomorrow if we are walking,” Gray answered, “If we want to take horses or a carriage that will take more time. I do not own any horses, we would have to find some and get the harnesses. All of that will be expensive, so we will need some source of funds to purchase all of it.”

 

I turned to Istan, “I would be surprised since I have never felt anything, but you Elves do not have any special form of transportation, do you?”

 

“No Forest Mother. Using your own feet is the fastest way to get through the forest so we have never bothered to train mounts.”

 

“Figures.” I couldn’t help mumble to myself. Then I clarified, “I am guessing that the carriage is slower than horses by themselves?”

 

“That would be correct, my lady.” Gray said.

 

“Speed is crucial. How many horses could we get by tomorrow?”

 

“Two if you don’t mind them being a little older.” That would not do.

 

Well, then it was time for me to do my part. I spread out more power over the town and the surrounding forest and fields. I was gathering all the information I could from the plants to learn as much as I could. Soon I found two things that were needed to solve our problems.

 

“Gray, do you know who pastures his animals on the east side of the village?”

 

“His name is Gram. He is a quiet man but well respected in town.”

 

“He regularly buys herbs and some medicines from me. I feel he is a good person,” Emily added.

 

“Gray, go with Istan and pick up the other elves. They have just made it to the edge of the woods. Then take them with you to Gram.

 

“Istan, buy five of the man’s horses. Do not worry about the expense. I will reward you to make up for your losses.” Istan turned and was about to leave when I stopped him. The mention of Gram regularly buying medicine was ringing in my mind. I held my hand up and grew another flask from my palm. This was the same medicine I had made before. “I think that this will help in your negotiations.” After I handed it to them, Istan and Gray hurried out the door. I felt a sudden surprising wash of weariness. “Leafia, please help Emily get everything we need ready. I am not used to being out of the woods. I am going to rest in the garden for a while to recover myself. I will help after I rest. Do not worry to much about the food. Just a few days worth will be enough. I can provide much of what we will need.”

 

I headed out to the garden to rest. I was not out of energy, but making the flask of medicine was no simple feat, and I had done it twice. Here in the village, my powers recovered much slower than back at my pond. I found a quiet place near the back of garden and settled in, while considering why I was so much more tired than expected. I suppose most of the effort went into making the flask. My thoughts began to trail off as I let my consciousness disperse. I really could have just asked for a container. What’s done is done. I should learn for next time.  

Announcement
This is the end of my updates to catch up with my story on the other site. I will be publishing 1 to 2 chapters a week from this point on. I was going to get one more chapter out today but I cleaned the house instead of editing the chapter. It should be out tomorrow.
32