Chapter 5: Honey and Darling
120 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: Honey and Darling

A clear sky with no sign of rain, cloud or impending doom. Seemingly, a perfect day for the villager of Igysil with their tranquillity returning to their simple daily life. Even though they were still recovering from their loss, the feelings have subsided thanks to the feast. Villagers could only hope that their moment of serenity was frozen into painting because unbeknownst to them, a calamity crept in by the second. This was the calm before the storm.

Polius wandered around the village aimlessly as he continued to ponder over the village’s problem. Without realising it, he had arrived back home - where Lydia and Medea were caring for the child of prophecy. Besides watching over the child, they also cleaned the Chief’s house during his absence. Despite his reluctance, he went in to check on the child that was supposedly under his care.

He had impeccable timing because the child was currently in a pot doing his business with Lydia holding the baby.

“Oh, Chief!” Lydia said.

Polius witnessing this sight flustered as he stumbled back. As the Chief of Igysil, he was well experienced in leading the village in disastrous and calm times. However, as a man, he has zero experience courting women - let alone taking care of a child.

“Ahem, Lydia. I see that you are busy. I will excuse myself now!” Polius left as quickly as he came.

“Ah…” Lydia responded.

Upon stepping out of the house, Polius heard yelling.

“Chief! Chief!”

Polius twisted his neck and saw a man bursting towards him. The man stopped right before he crashed into Polius.

“Chief!”

“Yes…?” Polius replied, unsure what to say considering the man’s demeanour.

The villager’s puffy verdant eyes stared straight at the Chief with his armpits and neck sweating non stop. He breathed heavily as his body grew and reduced with each inhales and exhales.

“Chief! Please follow me!” the villager begged.

“W-wait. What’s the ordeal?” Polius was still shaken from what he saw a minute ago inside his house.

“Chief! Please! Please follow me! I beg of you!” the villager insisted on dragging the Chief away.

Polius seeing the situation escalating, “Remain calm!” he commanded with a wave of his hand.

At last, the man stopped insisting and listened to Polius. Despite Polius’ relationship flaws, he still commanded respect from his villagers through his visage and strength. He was the second strongest person in the Village after all. However, before the situation could calm down, another villager came running towards Polius. This time it was a woman.

“Chief! Please come with me and my honey!” the woman demanded as she tried to drag him away.

Polius could only sigh seeing the same scene replaying itself. “Calm down,” he replied.

“Bu-”

Polius interrupted, “What is it that you both need?”

The two villagers looked at each other, they then hold each other hands and said in unison, “We want to get married, Chief!”

Polius’ ears twitched hearing their request. He rubbed his forehead and asked, “Why were you two in such a hurry?”

As Chief, managing marriages between villagers was one of his responsibility. Only by getting his blessing would the marriage be official. However, in the past, there was a particular couple that left the village and eloped. They hadn’t managed to get the blessing of the previous Chief.

The two lovebirds stared at each other, “Because we want to get married now!” they said. This time they continued to gaze at each other without breaking eye contact.

Polius pinched the bridge of his nose as he felt a headache nearing. It was then that the boulder on his shoulder was lifted so slightly. The desperate romantic idiots were a refreshing scene for him considering the issues the village faced.

“I understand. However, the marriage will be delayed for now,” Polius replied.

Finally, the couple’s eye contact broke as the Chief’s decision dumbfounded them. Their surprise was apparent by their gaping mouth and wide eyes.

Nonetheless, Polius continued, “Hosting a marriage ceremony isn’t possible currently.”

“B-but why, Chief? Why do you stand to oppose our true love,” the man asked.

Polius shook his head, “It’s not I’m against your marriage. It’s ju-”

“Chief...”

Before Polius could finish his sentence, another voice interrupted him. The voice originated from the direction of the village’s gate. Polius turned his head and then it hit him: deja vu. This was because Ryl was shivering on the ground. His sweat had seeped through his clothing causing it to be completely wet.  An identical scene happened a few days ago with Reynold. It was an omen.

Staring at Ryl, Polius only had one thought. Astral Spirit, have you forsaken me?  Nevertheless, Polius rushed towards Ryl holding him up by his shoulder.

“Chief…” Ryl whispered through his sore throat.

Polius wiped the sweat off Ryl’s forehead. He did not speak a word as he waited for Ryl.

“H-honey…” Ryl said before passing out and his eyes shut closed.

“Honey? What?” Polius responded. “What do you mean? Ryl wake up!” He demanded.

Ryl brought Polius more questions than answers. Honey? Like darling? Why was he calling me darling? Was he hallucinating? Am I hallucinating? A relentless amount of questions streamed into his mind.

Before Polius could fall into the rabbit hole even deeper, the male villager got his attention.

“Chief? Chief? Hello? Chief?”

“Y-yes?” Polius responded.

“Do you think he meant the Zenon bees? From Apis village?” the man asked.

Polius stood up in shock as he was finally enlightened on what Ryl had said. On the other hand, Ryl’s head banged against the ground because of Polius’ abrupt movement. Ryl remained unconscious while lying on the ground.

Not letting a second passed any longer, Polius left the area and headed towards the village gate. Once he arrived at the gate, he stared at the forest. Previously, the forest gave off a calming and peaceful atmosphere. Now, the lush quiet forest pressured Polius more than ever.

Polius grasped his left fist with his right palm and placed it against his chest. He channelled the energy from within him as his body glowed a vibrant green colour. In a smooth motion, he spreads his arms apart and unleashed a green wave of energy that blasted towards the forest.

“RAMUS VEBRIUM!” he shouted.

This was one of Polius’ Astral abilities. He could communicate with nature spirits. In this case, it was the forest. As soon the green wave hit the tree, it bypassed it and spreads throughout the forest. However, there was a limit to how far the energy could reach. Once it reached its maximum perimeter, Polius’ ability went full throttle. Sounds and images appeared in his mind. His ability allowed him to gather sensory data from the forest. From the tall trees to tiny grass sprouts, they all relayed information to him.

After a second had passed, images flooded Polius’ mind. During this state, he was completely defenceless against all threats. However, only in this state could he find the truth in this situation. His mind went overdrive as images after images went through. Soon he found what he was looking for.

Within Polius’ head, there was a discernible sound of bees. He could see them. A large colony of Zenon Bees heading towards the village. Polius was distraught with his frustration building up inside him.

Why my village? Why is this happening again? And why so soon? Polius thought. However, time was against him and he realised this. Polius rushed back into the village whilst shouting, “Everyone! Gather to the centre immediately!”

Everyone in the village could distinguish the worry in their Chief’s shaky voice. During the beast tide, he could have remained calm with the Astral Spirit’s protection. However, it was now impossible to do so, since the village can only host the ritual once per month. If the villagers underwent the ritual once more without waiting then their lives would be forfeited.

In this upcoming encounter, Igysil village can only rely on themselves to survive. The villagers all gathered around the village’s centre. Once Polius saw them, he realised he had committed a mistake. No matter how troubled or agitated he felt, he could not show those feelings. The villagers can only be confident if their Chief remains stoic. While the Astral Spirits are the village’s guardian, their Chief is who they confide in.

Polius took a moment to breathe as his heart rate calmed down with each exhale. After doing so, he was now prepared to lead his people the right way. The villagers were busy gossiping and wondering why has their Chief had gathered them up.

“A problem has arisen,” Polius said. His words, while short, had quietened down the clamouring villagers. “A wave of Zenon Bees are heading our way,” Polius continued.

The news had shaken the villagers from their core. It was another beast tide. Yet another one after the previous one. How many lives will be lost this time? A villager clenched his hands so tight that his nails were digging into his palm. Another villager’s heart was filled with despair.

Ever since the triggering of the Cataclysmic Era, death was a common occurrence. However, a millennium has passed since then. Even though humanity was not the strongest anymore, they’ve had carved a section of the world for themselves. Beast tides while not impossible had become a rare situation to encounter. Experiencing it once a year in a village could be considered normal. But experiencing it twice in the span of a week? One can only wonder how Igysil is so unlucky.

In the villager’s moment of their despair, a voice rang out to them.

“Do not fret,” Polius consoled them. “We’ve survived the assault of an Exile Monster,” he continued. “If we survived that, how can we fall to mere domesticated bees. Lives will be lost but this village will never fall.”

Polius’ words were the villager’s solace and with their fighting spirit restored, they now stood a fighting chance. While Polius may have downplayed the threat of the Zenon Bees, he wasn’t entirely wrong. Apis’ Zenon Bees have been raised in their village for centuries due to the village’s Astral ability. However, Polius did not understand the true reason why the bees were heading towards Igysil. How could he have known? It was Apis village most tight-lipped secret.

A figure stepped ahead from the crowd of villagers. It was Theo! In these situations, stepping out without the Chief’s command would be disrespectful to the Chief. But because the figure was Theo, it was fine. Why? Because Theo is the village’s sole Apothecary. Just from that title alone demanded respect from all villagers.

“Theo,” Polius called out.

“Chief, I think I may be of help in this situation,” Theo replied.

Polius nodded to signify that Theo could continue speaking.

“I’m able to recreate Apis’ formula,” Theo elaborated while staring straight at Polius.

Polius was astounded by this news. “Do you mean… Apis Teracus?”

Theo nodded and responded, “Yes, one of Apis’ method of controlling the Zenon Bees.”

This time around, Theo was Igysil’s saving grace. The surrounding villagers were belated by Theo’s surprise. Their head no longer hung down and they all stared at Theo with hope.

“Theo, what ingredients do you need?” Polius asked.

“I would need the root of ten Moongrass and leaves from an Ausburn tree,” Polius said.

Polius nodded from his request. He turned his head towards the crowd, “Novus, head to the storehouse and retrieve the necessary ingredients.”

A small figure stepped out of the crowd and dashed away.

“I will take my leave now, Chief,” Theo said. He then left the crowd with his group of nine Acolytes.

Polius watched them leave and then he stared at the villagers. “Theo has brought us great news and this will greatly increase our chance,” he said. “However, we must always remain cautious against any threat. Warriors ready up, this battle is for us to win!”

The villagers roared and cheered in response to Polius’ short speech. They then disperse themselves with the warriors gearing up and the other villagers heading back to their home. Their actions differed from before since on the previous beast tide, they could summon the Astral Spirit. Thus, the weak and old returned home for safety while the Guardians and Hunters head out for battle.

Polius stood still in his place while contemplating over the situation. He was still thoroughly shocked by Theo’s surprise gift. How was it possible for Theo to know Apis’ formula? He thought. Throughout every generation, only the Village Chief of Apis knows the formula to Apis Teracus. However, with the destruction of Apis, Theo is now the only one who can recreate the formula.

Polius sighed and gave up thinking about it. He then walked towards the village’s gate where the Zenon Bees were soon about to arrive. He donned his brown far armour instead of the mystic wood armour. After the battle with the beast tide, Polius had returned the armour back to the storehouse. This time, he could not withdraw the armour. The previous conflict had dried up the armour’s energy supply. It had to be left inside the storehouse to regain its powers.

Polius’ long dark green hair blew with the wind as he stood there waiting for the bees.

We will survive. Even at the cost of my life, we will survive.

1