Chapter 2: Mayhem
229 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: Mayhem

Devastating everything in their course with an insurmountable momentum - the stampede of beasts was on a path of pandemonium and annihilation.

There was a mixture in the beast tide as none of them looked like another. One beast had muscular limbs while another had none. Colourful beasts mixed with pitch black beasts. Being land beasts were the sole common trait amongst them.

Heading straightforward, the village of Igysil was on their route. However, they indicated no traces of halting; the beasts were a relentless bullet aiming to pierce through the village with their ferocity.

The children shrieked at the sight of the vicious beasts rampaging towards them. Yet even in the face of peril, no one ran away. Banded together, the villagers shone a luminous green light within the inscription as they fortified themselves for the encounter against the beast tide. The Chief, Polius, stood gallantly in front of his people as a comparable yet darker light radiated from him.

“RAMUS POMIFER!”

Every single villager shouted in unison as the light became stronger until it swallowed up the chief and everyone along with it. The light beamed up to the sky and what was in front of the stampede of beasts were no longer the villagers but rather a colossus tree. No. It was no ordinary tree… It was sentient!

Despite having no eyes or mouth or any facial traits, the beasts could tell that it was sentient. No normal tree could glow with such vibrant green energy and it had an archaic aura around it. It was as if the tree had reached the limit of the sky.

Alarmed by the behemoth of a tree, the beasts flinched and stopped in their path. In doing so, they crashed into each other and sent beasts flying to the tree. Upon contact with the tree, an unknown force knocked them away. The wretched beasts didn’t realise they had incurred the wrath of the tree.

The tree’s stifling air had risen even more profound and the weaker beasts shuddered as they could not deal with the tree’s existence. Because of their worry, none of them made a single movement. Suddenly a figure exited from the tree’s trunk.  

The unknown character was Polus! However, his appearance differed from before and so did his aura. He and his armour had assimilated with the colossus tree. On his head, there were now two horn-like tree branches growing out. His eyes and hair were still the same lustrous deep green colour, yet they had this distinct profoundness to them. Before he was the harsh but caring chief, now, he had become cryptic. While Polius had undergone an evolution so did his armour with five emerald gems embedded: one in the chest plate, two in the shoulder plates, and two in the leg guards. The profound armour before had metamorphosed into an even thicker armour with protruding edges.

No longer did Polius have the air of a modest Village Chief but instead of a Lord! A Lord that reigned over his territory and people, his words were the law and the fate of everyone who defied him would be death. Polius stared at the chaotic group of beasts that stood before him. In his eyes, there was no hint of fear or concern instead it was deep like a dense lush forest - profound and unyielding. His hands behind his back, Polius stood tall with pride and dignity, resembling the mystical colossus tree.

Polius opened his mouth and spoke. However, the voice that came out was not of his own, rather a deep and dull voice. “What is your purpose, Serpent? Why have you come to disturb my people?”

“Prove yourself worthy, tree. Only by surviving will your questions be resolved,” a silvery smooth voice projected from the sea of beasts.

Suddenly, an ear-splitting hiss surrounded the forest and a toxic cloud streamed towards the tree and Polius.

At this moment, more figures walked out of the tree’s trunk and they were the Guardians and Hunters of the village. Similar to Polius, they too had withstood a transformation, their previous verdant colour had lightened up, turning into an apple green colour. The Hunter’s bows and Guardian’s arm guards had likewise evolved, they weren’t the same basic equipment any more.

The bows became more exquisite with new sleek markings and two orbs slotted near the grip. Similar to the bows, the arm guards had one sphere on each arm with ethereal engravings on them. Gone were their leather and fur armour and instead they all wore the same set of wooden armour similar to Polius’.

Warriors assembled into formation upon their exit with the Hunters positioned behind the Guardians. Despite the poisonous cloud moving towards them, not a single warrior panicked as they had their chief in front. Oddly enough, their faces were the same: blank. Just as the poison neared them, Polius waved his arms in a fan motion and out of nowhere, an object dropped from the sky. The object dissipated into a crimson mist within a hair’s breadth from landing onto Polius and engulfed him and the warriors.  

What was the object? It was none other than a massive red apple that fell from the tree upon Polius’ action. The deadly cloud collapsed into the red mist and had disappeared. Another penetrating hiss emerged but this time there was no toxic gas instead the hiss had sent the beasts into a frenzy. As if they were berserk, the beasts now had zero fears as they surged towards Polius and his warriors.

Drawing their bows with no arrows, the Hunters readied themselves and took aim at the beasts in-front. The orbs embedded into the bows shone as green energy emerged and arrows materialised. With no suspension, the Hunters released the bowstring, firing the energy arrows towards the incoming beasts. Wounded beasts stopped amidst their assault and collapsed yet this did not deter the beasts one bit as more beast neared the warriors. Stepping over the bodies of their fellow beasts they charged with fervour.

Without any warning, a beast lunged towards Polius with its massive claws ready to slash him. However, Polius did not move from his spot as the Guardians formed a line barrier in front of him with their arm guards connected - serving as shields to block.

The Guardians defended against the beast’s slash and a Guardian charged forwards bashing the beast. In response, the beast groaned from the bash and it faded into the horde. The torrent of beasts then came smashing against the Guardian’s blockage with their intensity. Despite their berserk mode, the beasts had failed to break through and the Hunters had once again issued another round of arrows - decimating another group of beasts.

All of a sudden, a giant beast stood up from the horde towering over the Guardians and beasts alike. It was a ginormous beast that had a pair of hammers for arms, it brutally struck the Guardian’s blockage with its hammer arms. In doing so, returned the favour to the Guardians and sent them flying back until they slammed against the sentient tree. The Guardians’ body mutilated, and their blood splashed onto the tree’s roots.  

Although this only infuriated the mythical tree even further and depicting the tree’s emotions; Polius’ eyebrows scrunched up, forming wrinkles with his lips pressed against each other. Staring up at the gigantic beast with vehemence and his nails digging into his palms causing them to bleed due to his boundless rage. Polius was blazing with dark green energy overlapping him and encompassing him from head to toe. He lifted his bleeding palms up in the beast’s direction and formed a grasping gesture. Instantaneously, tree roots from the ground spiralled up and wrapped around the beast, dragging it into the ground with no resistance. Before anyone understood what has ensued, it had already absorbed the beast into the earth.

Waving his arm across, more tree roots thrust out of the ground and sought to submerge the entire horde. The lethal gas thwarted the plan as roots wilted but not before more beasts had lost their lives.

For Polius’ efforts, the Guardians closed the opening in their line of defence. While the Hunters readied themselves to launch another barrage of arrows.

“Enough,” a mellow voice reverberated in the battle.

One word was all it took for the carnage to cease as the beasts all retreated in a hurry. Their berserk mode had concluded, and their dread of the mystic tree had returned. The Hunters, moments away from discharging their arrows when Polius raised his hand - signalling them to a halt.

A tiny shadow slowly slithered its way out of the now oddly quiet sea of beasts. As it drew closer to Polius, its size grew at a breakneck pace until it contested the magnitude of the colossus tree. The sheer size of the serpent knocked away the beasts.

The creature was a vantablack serpent, just staring at its body would harm a regular human’s eyes. Even with its void-like eyes, Polius could tell the serpent was peering down at him.

Nevertheless, Polius did not back down and stared right back at the serpent. One second after his choice, his soul felt like it would collapse yet he remained strong despite the pressure pouring over him. Next, his heart felt as if it would rupture in another second when suddenly the mythical tree released a green wave of energy easing Polius’ suffering and healing the warriors. Then they had regressed to their ordinary selves albeit weakened owing to their body being overburdened.

“Serpent, it is time for answers,” a monotonous voice thundered from the tree. It was quite a remarkable sight, seeing a tree talk despite having no mouth.

“What’s the rush? Or is it that your people can’t handle supporting you anymore, Astral Spirit?” inquired the serpent.

“Do not waste my time any longer. Tell me now or be gone.”

The serpent staring at the tree, replied melodiously, “So be it then, I’ve arrived to deliver a magnificent present.”

“A present? Stop speaking gibberish. What is your scheme?” sought the tree.

“You should be proud, tree! Your village remained,” the serpent laughed. “This was the third village we’ve visited through today.” It twisted its head backwards and looked at the direction the stampede came.

A path that didn’t exist before had now appeared because of the stampede. Connecting the village of Igysil to the demolished villages. In the wake of their destruction, the topography of the forest forever altered.

While the two colossus beings were talking, the villagers on the ground were swallowing restoration pellets as their short skirmishes had taken its toll on their body. Opposite of the villagers, the beasts remained in silence because of their fear, not daring to even glance at the two great entities before them.

Angered by the serpent’s attitude, the atmosphere got even more strained as the tree’s leaves glowed bright green. The tree gathering its energy to the leaves as if it was about to unleash a devastating blast.

In reply, the serpent laughed again, “Hahaha, why must you be in such a hurry tree. I told you that you should be thrilled. My beast tide will disperse itself.” Shifting its head, the snake stared at the whimpering beasts on the ground and they all fled away without a delay. “In fact, you should be overjoyed. I won’t disturb your village till the next trial.”

The glowing leaves lessened but not fully as the enigmatic serpent’s action hasn’t satisfied the tree.

Out of nowhere, the serpent’s body glowed an intense purple hue. In response, the tree leaves amassed more energies and the whole tree shone in an immense light.

“I’m simply showing you the present, tree. Don’t you know worrying so much will take off your lifespan?” the serpent said while its body coiled. “Do you, Astral Spirits, even have lifespans I wonder?”

The glow on the serpent’s body concentrated into the circle of the creature’s coiled body. A blinding light broke out, forcing all the warriors to shut their eyes.

“Is… that…” the tree muttered in bewilderment.

The glow on the serpent disappeared without a trace along with the creature’s vitality as it looked weakened. Uncoiling its body, the serpent showed everyone what had confounded the mythical tree. From the inside the strange serpent, there was now a… baby!

“Yes… it’s indeed what you imagined, tree,” the serpent wheezed.

A tree vine reached out and gently coiled around the baby, lifting it up towards the gigantic tree. “It is him.”  An apple from the tree exploded into moisture and nourished the baby. “Why have you brought him to my village?”

“No reason in particular.” Slithering on the ground, the serpent’s size shrunk because of its fragile state. “Just only the fact that your village survived while the others got obliterated.”

Despite its weakened state, the serpent’s expression was still the same as before: calm. It has not lost a shred of dignity or pride, “Raise him well. I will return when it’s time.”

The body of the serpent exploded into nothing. It had evaporated as if it was never here. With the sole proof of its existence being the trail of destruction it led.

It dumbfounded even the experienced Polius. Did an Exile Monster just perish? he thought.

“It was just a clone,” the tree answered knowing what Polius was thinking. It lowered the baby towards Polius. “I am out of time.”

Polius cradled the baby in his arms. He stumbled back with his eyebrows raised. “This… this child…” Polius mumbled, “He has black hair?” Polius gulped and gawked up at the tree.

Slowly, the tree faded but before he left, he answered, “He is… the child of prophecy!” With that, the tree returned into nothingness and from where the tree was, the rest of the villagers along with Theo and his Acolytes stands.

All the warriors wobbled around Polius to glanced at, what the Astral Spirit said to be, the child of prophecy. The child was sleeping as he was being cradled; his smooth black hair and chubby, soft white cheeks. For a baby that was the present from the serpent, he radiated with the innocence that only a newborn could have.

They were uncertain about what to do with the child. “Chief… what should we do with the child?” one of the Guardians inquired.

Polius frowned in response and kept his silence. After a moment of quietness, his face relaxed and sighed, “You all heard what the Astral Spirit said, he is the child of prophecy.” The warriors nodded and Polius continued, “Since he is the child of prophecy, he will be the catalyst for the future. And until then we must do our job and raise him well.”

“The Exiled Monster earlier… it said it’ll return,” a warrior mumbled.

“For now… let us bury the valiant warriors that had sacrificed themselves.” The chief stared at the four lifeless bodies on the ground. All the warriors clenched their fists, and they looked down at the ground in sorrow.  

Polius’ hand brightened as he mustered the meagre energy within him and gently made a grasping motion. Vines coiled around the four bodies and dragged them to the earth. “You have done well, my warriors. May you have peace along with the sacred soil.”

The battle took its toll on the Chief. On his face, there were wrinkles and his once muscular, slender body was now just thin. His warriors also shared the same fate as their body looked malnourished as their energy have all drained. In fact, they could barely move.

While victorious, they walked back in shame as four brethren died. Two died because of the hammer monster while another two died of exhaustion.

Now, tranquillity had returned to the village of Igysil yet it would never be the same. Blood was shed, lives lost but in return, their village survived to see another day. From this day onwards, there would be a special existence that will grow up in the village of Igysil. Would this child usher in a new era? Would he be a calamity in the making or a godsend for humanity? Only the heavens could tell.

3