Chapter 8: The Discovery
1.7k 14 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Find Daryl and bring him here alive!"

Everyone started seeking for the youth when they heard their leader's command. The first spot, that was being sought was his tent. A group of men were gathered before the entrance and they started screaming, "Daryl, you're being accused of murder! Get out of the tent, immediately!"

They quietly  waited for ten seconds, but there was no reply. They entered the tent, but it was empty...

"F*ck, he's not in here! Don't just stand there, start looking!"

The camp was quite a large one, it spaced around 70 people, most tents where shared. Every tent was being sought.

I panicked, this was my fault and now Daryl was going to pay. He came up with the idea, so it's his fault technically... Wait, why am I thinking this?

I ran outside and tried to find him before the others, he must be in the forest at the place we last were. I tried to sneak away as quietly as possible, but I ran against something hard again. It was the leader... He pulled my arm and looked me in the eyes. He didn't look quite amused.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"I need to pee, so let me go!"

"Nonsense, you know where he is, don't you?"

"No, I don't! Just let me go!"

I tried to break free from his grip, but his hands were just too strong.

"I know that little rascal did it for you... I can't believe he would do such a stupid thing... Just for a girl! ... For everything that we did for him." The leader sighed. He was clearly disappointed, but that turned soon to anger. "I should've let that boy die on the streets, where I found him! How could he betray my trust so much! That thrash."

He then looked at me and got an idea, it was apparently an evil idea because his face was readable like a book.

"I treated you so nicely and this is what I get back? Betrayal from one of my subordinates. Just because a little b*tch like you seduced him!"

What? I didn't even seduce him? What nonsense is he spurting out?

He picked his knife and held it against my throat.

“Too bad I'll have to kill a pretty girl like you, I should've f*cked you, when I had the chance!“ He wanted to make a quick slash, but he stopped when a familiar sight came into his vision.

"Stop! I'm turning myself in," said a voice.

"Daryl!" I screamed. I was extremely happy to see him.

He looked at me and smiled, he then focussed his attention on the leader, he dropped all of his weapons and spoke, "I'm turning myself in, let Lena go, it's not her fault. This was a choice I made myself, I knew the consequences beforehand. Just the feeling that I was useful for her made me do it."

He then looked at me and smiled, "I wished we could've spent more time together."

My heart stopped for a moment and I became as red as a tomato. I wanted to scream, but I knew this wasn't the moment. I wanted to say something, but the leader interrupted me.

"That was very valiant, but that doesn't change the fact that you betrayed me! Come on, get him!"

He pointed his sword at Daryl, while the men held his arms. Daryl didn't even bother resisting. He just stood still, letting himself get caught. His head hang down and he just looked at me. His kind eyes looked right through me. He had a look in his face as if he had accepted his fate. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't get a single word out of my throat.

The men kicked him behind his legs. He fell to the ground, landing on his knees. His pants torn and leaving behind a small scar, but he didn't even flinch.

The leader walked step-by-step towards Daryl. He looked at him, but Daryl didn't look him in the eyes. The leader unsheathed his sword and pointed it at his neck. Some of the men—who were holding Daryl—were grinning, they were glad that he was going to die. They thought he was annoying and an opportunist, anyway.

"Any last words?" The leader asked.

No answer...

The leader sighed, he gathered all his might and swung his sword.

"Stop!" Daryl screamed.

The leader was confused and stopped his swing.

"Don't kill me..."

"And why shouldn't I?"

"Because I'm the first-born son of Siegmar von Bassewitz!"

The leader was shocked, he dropped his sword to the ground. His mouth was so wide open that it nearly touched the ground. The men nearby were also in a state of disbelief. They didn't believe it.

"Proof it!" One of them screamed. Soon everybody started shouting, they were calling him a liar and started calling names.

"You're bullshitting us!"

"He's just desperately trying to stay alive! Don't listen to him, just kill him!"

The leader soon regained his posture and started screaming again, "Shut up idiots!"

He then looked at Daryl and asked, "Do you got any proof?"

Daryl nodded and reached in his pouch. All eyes were now fixed on him. Most people thought he was bluffing, but they soon went quiet when they saw what he retrieved from his pocket. It was a fancy-looking pocket watch, which was completely made out of gold. The leader's eye went wide open. He wasn't quite convinced yet, so he doubtfully asked a question, "How do we know that you just didn't steal it from a noble and that you're not bullshitting us?"

He rolled his eyes, and said, "If only you were more patient..."

He opened the watch and showed it to the leader. His jaw sunk straight through the floor. Inside was a beautiful, miniature painting of Daryl's face. It looked exactly like him, only was he still a young boy there, but the resemblance was obvious. There was even a text—written in beautiful cursive—with his name in it.

Daryl von Bassewitz

The leader was still in disbelief, but this was pretty much proof that everything he said was the truth. He and his men still couldn't quite believe it and were still in shock. It became extremely quiet. I was probably the most confused confused of the bunch, Daryl once told me he used to be some kind of noble, but I didn't know that it was such a big deal. His family must be quite powerful and famous from the looks of it.

The leader recovered and quickly started to speak, "We'll reach the Great city of Hofstead in about 56 hours in walking distance. From there I'll use the transcommunication-services to contact your family. The reward for finding the lost son of the Von Bassewitz family is huge enough to last me and my men several generations."

Greed could be seen in his eyes. He rubbed his hands and started talking to himself. He could already see himself swimming in gold, lots of it. But his thoughts were soon shattered when the young man spoke again.

"There's only one term, I want to make," said Daryl.

The leader squinted his eyes and said, "Say it."

Daryl looked and pointed his finger at me.

"I'm buying her."

41