Chapter 9: The Crystal Gardens
37 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Let us go to the Crystal Garden!" Nal shouted as she entered Iysinfyr's room.

Syl quietly entered the room behind Nal and stood in a corner where she could watch. She was holding the food basket Nal liked to take on picnics.

Iysinfyr looked up from where she was sitting on the floor and looked slightly irritated.

Nal noticed Iysinfyr was holding something in her hands, “What are you holding?”

Iysinfyr looked at the object and nearly hid it, but Nal saw a conflict of emotions on her face before she held it out, “I’m making something. It’s called a flashlight.”

Nal saw Iysinfyr holding a metal tube and could see at least one round magic crystal inside, “What is a flashlight?”

The word flashlight was unfamiliar to Nal and sounded like it came from a language not related to Amirran.

Iysinfyr let out a barely audible laugh, and the smallest smile appeared on her lips. She then rolled out two crystal balls from the tube, “Put a light crystal and a storage crystal in a tube like this,” she put them back into the tube, “and when you turn it on it focuses the light in one direction and makes it shine a little farther.”

“Oh! Is that something from Terra?” Nal was more interested because in came from Terra than about this flashlight thing itself.

Iysinfyr nodded.

“Why are you making it?” Nal didn’t see the point in it, as light magic was the easiest magic to learn.

“I was bored, and it seemed easy to make,” Iysinfyr shrugged.

Nal nodded, “Okay, but I have somewhere nice to go if you are bored.”

Nal grabbed Iysinfyr by the hand and began pulling her, though Iysinfyr instead pulled her to a nearby bag that was sitting on her bed and put the unfinished flashlight inside.

Nal looked in the bag out of curiosity and saw it filled with many magic crystals of varying size, type, and quality, “Where did you get all these magic crystals?”

Iysinfyr shrugged, “I don’t know, Deko brought them to me last night.”

“Oh, that was nice of her, but I think you will find the Crystal Gardens much more wonderful,” Nal didn’t want to waste any more time, and there wasn’t anything strange about the daughter of a Duke owning things like that.

Nal pulled on Iysinfyr again, and this time Iysinfyr followed her out of the room.

Syl took one look at the bag of crystals, then to the other bags sitting near the foot of the bed. Well, she looked forward to finding out about those later and followed the two girls.

Iysinfyr stopped at the front gate of the villa and refused to move further.

Nal looked at her and wondered what was wrong.

“I don’t think Iysinfyr is ready to walk through the crowds just yet,” Syl said after seeing the look of fear appear on Iysinfyr’s face whenever she looked at the gate.

“Oh!” Nal nodded, “Syl, you can take us in the levitating carriage instead.”

“Very well,” Syl bowed and followed behind Nal as the girl pulled Iysinfyr behind her.

Only a few minutes later they arrived at the royal palace.

To Nal, the palace was the most beautiful place in the world. Its white walls shone in the morning night thanks to the plaster made with crystal powder leftover from the manufacturing of the various crystal goods made in the palace. Dozens of reliefs lined the walls that depicted leaders and generals of Amirr’s past. The palace grounds were spacious, with the decorations of statues and decorative plants located only at the base of the walls.  The rest grounds being used for training of the soldiers stationed at the palace, with one exception.

In the palace's rear, located as far away from the front gate as possible and surrounded by its own wall, was the Crystal Garden.

Nal easily navigated through the front gate and to the Crystal Garden. Even though it had been over a month since she had been here many of the guards recognized her and let her pass without a word, though almost all gave Iysinfyr a curious glance but said nothing when they saw the golden bells decorating her hair telling them she was the child of a duke. 

“It is a good thing you never always wear your bells, Iysinfyr,” Nal said after she noticed what the guards were looking at.

Iysinfyr touched the bell on the right side of her head and blushed, “I think they’re cute, though if they made jingling noises I would never wear them.”

Nal nodded and frowned, then touched her own bells, “I tried wearing bells that jingled. My family kept avoiding me, so I stopped…”

Syl laughed, “I remember that.”

Nal looked at Syl but then remembered something, “Where is Deko?”

Iysinfyr looked in the villa's direction, “I think she is still sleeping.”

Nal nodded in understanding, it was just past sunrise, “I should have had Syl wake her up before leaving.”

“I thought about it but you were so excited to come here I didn’t say anything,” Syl said with a mischievous smile only Iysinfyr noticed.

Nal turned to the closed gates to the Crystal Garden. Unlike the main palace wall and gate, this was rather plain as visitors outside of high Amirr nobility ever came here, and rarely at that. It was mostly the crystal workers and guards that came here. She never understood why.

“Can you let us in?” Nal asked the guard on watch.

The guard nodded, recognizing her, and opened the gate.

“Is it not beautiful?” Nal spread her arms towards the sight of the Crystal Garden.

Pillars of crystal glittered in the morning sunlight, casting spectrums of light across the walls. Many of these crystals had branches growing out, most as thin as a finger, some as big as an arm. 

Each pillar was a different color ranging from red, to yellow, to brown, to clear, among others. Each the color of the magic crystals Nal had seen in Iysinfyr’s bag, plus more.

Iysinfyr looked in amazement, “I learned about these.”

“It is why Amirr is so rich and powerful,” Nal put her hands on her hips and looked over the crystals with pride then to the guards standing at watch on the walls and in the grounds.

These guards were among the best armored in the world. Unlike most other nations that used metal forged with crystal to strengthen the metal, these guards wore armor and wielded weapons made from pure crystal. The armor was virtually impenetrable to most weapons and magics. Their weapons were of superior sharpness and would only lose that to items made with the crystals.

Nal noticed Iysinfyr’s eyes sparkle as she looked over the crystals.

“I told you it is beautiful!” Nal grinned when she saw Iysinfyr’s reaction.

“Beautiful until you take a closer look,” an elegant feminine voice came from the direction of the wall behind them.

Nal stiffened at the voice but didn’t turn around to look. It was all she could do to keep herself from trembling.

An older girl a year or two older than Nal came into view just as the gates that blocked her from view closed. She was tall for her age with long light brown hair flowing freely down her back. Her eyes and face were average, except for her high cheekbones and full lips, but a smart application of makeup highlighted her more attractive features. Her only other feature was a large bust for her age, one which her fine silk clothes accentuated, along with her curvy, feminine body while still maintaining modesty.

A petite woman flanked her. This woman was nearly the opposite of the girl in front of her in every way. She wore clothes that hid most of the features of her body. Her face was plain, though neither attractive nor unattractive, and wore her hair in a short, simple style.

“I heard you came back into town with Duke Tallhill’s adopted daughter and thought this would be a good place to catch you,” the girl seemed to relish the fact the Nal was too scared to turn around and look at her.

Nal slowly turned around, while taking a few steps where she hid herself partly behind Deko, “Hello, Davanvia.”

Davanvia ignored Nal and turned to Iysinfyr, who was looking and Davanvia with a look of suspicion, “What kind of friend brings their friend to an ancient battle and grave site?” Davanvia looked at the pillars of crystal, “Iysinfyr, did you know that each of these pillars has a dead body inside?”

Iysinfyr nodded.

Davanvia smiled, “Good, that makes things easier,” she looked to Nal, “I guess it is beautiful, but I have never seen gazing and picnicking among the bodies cursed by Melche to be appealing.”

Iysinfyr looked to the closest crystal pillar.

“I suppose it might be worth seeing one up close at least once,” Davanvia said, then walked past them, beckoning Iysinfyr to follow her but now ignoring Nal. 

Iysinfyr looked between Nal, Davanvia, and the crystals. It was obvious she didn’t want to follow Davanvia, but each time she glanced at the crystals it was easy to see the curiosity in her eyes.

It was when Iysinfyr followed Davanvia that Nal finally turned towards the older girl. She then took a deep breath to help calm herself and followed the two.

From a distance there was an obvious dark spot in the center of each pillar, but with the way the crystals reflected light it was hard to make any detail. But the closer they got, the more obvious it was that there was the body of a person inside, usually frozen in a state of agony. Once they were right next to the closest pillar, they could make out every detail of the person inside, including the large hole in their chest right where their heart should be.

“Can you imagine picnicking in such a place?” Davanvia shot a look of contempt at Nal but kept her focus on Iysinfyr. 

Iysinfyr still didn’t look comfortable around Davanvia, and it was obvious she noticed the looks the older girl gave Nal and that they bothered her. Still, she approached the crystal and studied the man inside.

Nal finally got the courage to speak, though it wasn’t much louder than Iysinfyr’s usual volume, “It is pretty as long as you do not get too close.”

Davanvia looked from Iysinfyr and gave Nal a look one would give a child and patted her head, “Yes, but the royal cemetery has many beautiful structures and does not house the bodies of criminals against Deity and you do not see many people picnic there.”

Davanvia turned back to Iysinfyr, “Do you know the story of this place?”

Iysinfyr thought for a moment, “Only a little. I know that they were thieves that stole from Melche’s temples.”

Davanvia smiled, “Smart girl, though this is common knowledge for anyone with a decent education.” She turned to the crystal, “This place was where Melche’s followers caught the thieves. What most people do not know is that the thieves were some of the strongest men of a rising Toa Mirr and it took one of Melche’s Servants to stop them. The result is them being punished by putting them in a prison of crystal. The servant pierces their heart with a spear of crystal that grows and covers them. It is said that they are still alive, suffering for eternity…”

Just then Iysinfyr began inspecting a branch growing off of the crystal pillar, her eyes glowing with fascination, “This is where they get the crystal to make crystal tools.”

Davanvia smiled again but looked nervously at the nearest guards, who were watching the girls’ every move, “Yes, but it is best not to touch the crystals. They are the source of Amirr’s power and even nobility are not safe if something were to happen.”

Iysinfyr back away from the crystal and glanced at the guards, then nodded in understanding.

Davanvia cleared her voice then turned to Nal, “Please do not teach little Iysinfyr bad habits.” She then put her hands on her hips, “Speaking of bad habits, our tutors at the school asked me to bring you back to school as soon as you came back. They do not want you to forget what you have learned and Deity know you need all the practice you can get in the arts.”

She turned to Iysinfyr, “You should see her sculptures! Very… unique and always great if one needs to laugh.”

Nal turned away in embarrassment and covered her face.

Iysinfyr scowled at Davanvia.

Davanvia cleared her voice, something about Iysinfyr’s demeanor told her she should stop and she turned back to Nal, “I expect to see you tomorrow.”  

She turned back to Iysinfyr, “We expect you to come too, Iysinfyr. Your father has already made the proper arrangements as ability in the arts is a trait expected from every Amirr noblewoman.” 

Nal turned back around despite not having controlled her shaking and nodded.

Davanvia looked at Iysinfyr and looked like she wanted to say something but turned towards the gates, “Have fun on your picnic among the dead.”

Davanvia hurried towards the gate, closely followed by her personal maid.

Iysinfyr turned towards Nal, who was staring at the ground, and patted her arm, “Let’s eat.”

Nal looked at Iysinfyr and smiled.

Syl looked away from the retreating Davanvia, “The usual spot?”

***

Today's picnic replayed itself in Syl's mind. Iysinfyr had always been cute, but the way she looked like a small animal when she ate was unbeatable. Even Nal had succumed to the cuteness and kept hugging the small girl until she had been pushed away with an irritated grunt, repeatedly.

It was nearly a perfect day. It would have been if not for Davanvia. Not only was her personality rotten, but she flaunted that disgusting body and treated her cute personal made as if she wasn't even there. She also worried about how she treated Nal at the school as Syl couldn't go with her and she always seemed to get caught every time she tried to sneak in...

A hand grabbed Syl from behind, "Had a fun picnic today?"

It was Deko. Syl hadn't even heard her enter her room

"It was wonderful," Syl answered in a singsong voice.

"Since you didn't invite me I decided to hold my own little excursion," Deko said as she pulled Syl out the window.

"You're just jealous!" Syl laughed nervously as Deko dragged her away from the villa. 

1