Chapter 12: Yipping Dogs
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Everyone is late today," Nal said as she noticed much of the next group of girls in the sculpture class hadn't come yet.

Iysinfyr didn't seem to hear Nal and was looking in the direction that led to the front gate, a scowl forming on her face.

Nal tilted her head to the side, wondering what was upsetting Iysinfyr, "Iysinfyr?"

Iysinfyr looked at Nal, “I will be back.”

Iysinfyr ran off to where she had been looking.

“Iysinfyr! But… Davanvia!” Nal looked from the running Iysinfyr to the door where Davanvia usually came from.

She wanted to chase after Iysinfyr, but there was no way she could run as fast as her. How could someone that small run that fast, anyway?

Nal wasn’t sure what to do. She was curious what made Iysinfyr run off, especially with what they needed to talk about with Davanvia, but if she left too, then they would have to wait longer to talk to her.

Nal nodded to herself. Yes, they could talk to her later that day after classes were over.

Nal began walking after Iysinfyr and made it several paces when she noticed Davanvia and her followers leave the building. 

Nal tensed up. She wanted to run now but couldn’t get her legs to move. Instead, her legs betrayed her, and she turned around and walked towards Davanvia. 

Davanvia saw Nal almost immediately and headed towards her.

“Where is that adorable little friend of yours?” Davanvia stopped in from of Nal and looked around, “Where are the other girls?”

Nal shook her head, “Iysinfyr went that way,” Nal pointed to the front of the school building, “I do not know where the other girls are.”

The smile on Davanvia’s face disappeared, and she looked to the three girls following her, “It looks like they finally went after her.”

The girls each nodded to Davanvia and headed towards the front of the school building.

Davanvia turned back to Nal, “Did something happen to the peasant girl yesterday? The petite one with black hair?”

Nal didn’t even have to think, “Iysinfyr and I became friends with her.”

Davanvia sighed, “You really should have left her alone. Things would be much easier for her that way.”

Nal became angry, “Eldraearna is a wonderful girl! I will never regret becoming friends with her.”

Davanvia gave Nal a look of pity and began walking after the other three girls, motioning for Nal to follow, “You need to be more aware of high society politics.”

Nal nearly didn’t follow, but she was too curious about what made Iysinfyr leave and followed Davanvia.

***

El sighed as she stood in front of the gates to the school. She tried to convince her parents every day that they were wasting their money sending her here, but they insisted that this was the best way for her to move up in society by attracting a low born noble for a husband.

Being the daughter of foreigners and being terrible with people she had kept to herself. She had kept telling herself that she didn’t need friends to be happy, but deep down she knew how lonely she really was. She smiled. Then yesterday happened. She had made her first two friends, and for the first time she looked forward to coming. Never had she imagined she’d make two friends in one day, let alone the daughters of dukes.

El went through the gate and followed her usual route to the left. She almost never went in the school building itself to avoid the spoiled rich girls this school was full of. 

Speaking of spoiled rich girls, there was a large group from her sculpture class in a group. The same ones that always gave her their failed sculptures to work with.

One with silver bells stepped forward and gave her a look of contempt, “Peasant, we have something to talk to you about.”

El stopped and began backing away.

The girls fanned out, and a few even appeared behind her to prevent her from escaping.

El stopped backing up when she saw there was no escaping and her heart raced as she started shivering from fear.

“I thought we told you to not talk to anyone,” silver bells said as the girls tightened the circle around El.

It was all El could do to resist the urge to cower, “They came to me, isn’t that fine?”

Silver bells poked El hard enough in the chest to push her back a step, “What do you think ‘do not talk to anyone’ means?”

El began to wring her hands, “But… it would be rude to ignore the daughter of a duke, let alone two…”

Silver bells laughed, the other girls taking it as a queue to laugh too, “Nalulthyn is pathetic. If it was not for the Terran, she would have stayed by herself. The Terran girl is not even a real noble and does not deserve the title. She is not even from Calorin, let alone Amirr.”

El looked up, anger welling in her chest at the insults this girl was giving her friends, “Stop.” In a quiet voice. In a louder voice, “Stop!” Why was she defending girls she had only known for a short time?

Silver bells shoved El, sending her tumbling into the girl behind her, “Never, ever, tell your betters to stop.”

The girl El had stumbled into pushed her forward, sending her tumbling onto the ground.

El was about to give up, but she remembered the plan she and Nal and Iysinfyr had come up with last night. They had trusted her, a near total stranger, to help them. Had given her a chance to become part of something great. If she couldn’t handle a few girls, then how could she handle her part of the plan?

El pushed herself off the ground only to have a foot stomp on her back, nearly pushing her back down.

“Only get up when you are told,” silver bell’s voice came from above her.

“It’s the Terran!” A girl shouted.

The foot lifted off of El’s back and El looked up to see silver bell turn towards the direction of the sculpture class, “Lady Iysinfyr! If you are coming to get us for class, we will be just a minute!”

El looked between the legs of the girls and saw Iysinfyr look at her, then to the surrounding girls.

Iysinfyr didn’t show any expression and walked to the girls. Without stopping, she easily moved through their legs and only stopped when she reached El and held out her hand, “You’re…” She looked at the surrounding girls, “You are late.”

El took Iysinfyr’s hand and pulled herself up, “Thank you.”

Iysinfyr turned around and looked at each of the girls. She shook her head and took a step forward.

Silver bell went to put her hand on Iysinfyr to stop her, but Iysinfyr dodged her without even having to look. Silver bell tried again and failed, “Leave. We have business with her.”

Iysinfyr lazily looked at silver bell and rolled her eyes, then began walking again.

The girls blocking El and Iysinfyr moved closer together so there wasn’t enough space for Iysinfyr to go through like she had before.

“Even if you are the daughter of a duke, it does not excuse you for butting in on the business of others,” silver bell moved in front of Iysinfyr.

A weak light briefly appeared behind and above the girls and El heard Iysinfyr groan. She then looked around and El noticed her eyes flash in understanding and a smile appear briefly on her lips.

Moments later a nervous-looking girl to the left slapped the girl next just behind silver bell.

The girl that got slapped put her hand on the spot the nervous girl slapped her and angrily turned to her, “Why did you hit me!?”

The nervous girl stepped back, “I did not mean it! My hand moved on its own!”

“Stop making excuses! I know you did not want to help put the peasant back in her place!” The angry girl stomped her feet and clenched her hands into fists.

The angry girl’s arm lashed out and hit the nervous girl, surprise momentarily showing in her eyes.

Silver bell turned around, “What are you two doing! I told you to not speak while I handled everything!”

The nervous girl turned to silver bell and raised her hands in a show of submission, “I did not mean it! My hand moved on its own!”

The angry girl grabbed the nervous girl by the shoulder, “Stop making excuses!”

By this time, none of the girls were watching El or Iysinfyr. Still, Iysinfyr didn’t move as there wasn’t room to pass through the girls yet.

When the girl behind the angry girl went to pull her off the nervous girl, she stumbled over nothing that El could see and she fell on the two fighting girls, all three falling to the ground.

At this point several other girls moved in to help, giving Iysinfyr and El the opportunity to escape.

Iysinfyr scooped up El in a princess carry in one swift motion and rushed through the gap.

Several girls noticed and alerted silver bell.

Silver bell looked at Iysinfyr carrying El away but turned back to the fighting girls in frustration.

***

Nal and Davanvia hadn’t reached the corner of the building when Iysinfyr turned the corner carrying a confused looking El. The sight of Iysinfyr carrying someone twice her size was amusing.

Shrieks of girls yelling at each other came from behind them.

“There you are,” Davanvia stopped walking and waited for Iysinfyr to approach, “Nalulthyn said you ran off somewhere so we were looking for you.”

Iysinfyr stopped in front of Nal, her head barely visible behind El, and her voice muffled by her clothes, “El was being attacked by some yipping dogs so I went to help.”

Davanvia sighed and shook her head, her long hair swishing back and forth, “This will not be the last time they come after her and you two do not seem to be the best at diplomacy.”

El and Nal looked at each other with depressing looks.

“We will worry about that later,” Iysinfyr’s said in a voice muffled through El’s clothes.

No one except El heard her this time.

“Please put me down now, Iysinfyr,” El said as she realized how embarrassing it was for her to be held like she was for so long.

Iysinfyr put El on the ground and then repeated her statement.

Davanvia nodded, “Now, as much as I would like to chat. I do not want to be late for my next lesson.”

Nal and El looked at Iysinfyr, neither wanting to bring up they wanted to talk to her about something.

Iysinfyr shook her head but turned to Davanvia and took a deep breath, “Can you come to the Whitereed villa tonight? There is… a matter of business we want to discuss with you.”

Davanvia’s face twitched, “Oh, how unusual. I would be delighted to listen to you.”

The noise of the shrieking girls stopped and the voice of an angry instructor could be heard, causing everyone in Nal’s group to stop and listen.

Less than a minute later the group of girls rounded the building, followed by a rather angry looking instructor. Many of the girls’ clothing and hair had become disheveled, with even a bell missing here and there.

A few of the girls glanced at Nal’s group as they walked by, but most were looking at the ground as they walked with the stars of the show glaring at each other.

Davanvia smiled and looked at Iysinfyr, “You will have to tell me what you did to them later.” She looked at Nal, “I will see you later tonight, perhaps after supper.”

The blood drained from Nal’s face at Davanvia’s words, but she somehow returned a smile, even if it wasn’t completely genuine, “Yes. I look forward to it.”

Davanvia’s eyes went to Nal’s smile then back to her face, “I wish I could stay. This class looks like it might be interesting today, but I prefer not to be late for my appointments.”

Davanvia glanced at the disgruntled group of girls, then went back inside the building.

El tugged on Iysinfyr’s clothes, “Thanks for helping me.”

Iysinfyr nodded and gave El a large, goofy smile, “Of course.”

El looked to her attackers then back to Iysinfyr, “Did you do something to them?”

Iysinfyr shrugged, “Just a little application of levitation magic on their arms.”

El laughed, “You made them slap each other with levitation magic?”

Iysinfyr nodded, “It doesn’t… uh… does not take much to move someone’s arm if they are not trying to resist.”

Nal stepped forward, “Made who slap whom?”

El looked at the group of girls and whispered, “They attacked me and Iysinfyr came and rescued me. Made them slap each other and they think it was each other and not Iysinfyr.”

Nal scowled at the girls, “They attacked you!?” She then looked at Iysinfyr, “How did you know?”

“Well, it is weird for so many girls to be late and El was late too. I could hear them a little too and went to check just in case,” Iysinfyr shrugged and began walking to the sculpture area. “The instructor is giving us looks, we better go sit.”

Nal and El looked at each other, then ran to their spots.

Thankfully, the lesson went by quietly and when it was over Nal and Iysinfyr escorted El back to the gate. The rest of the day went by quietly too, and it wasn’t long before Nal and Iysinfyr were waiting for El and Davanvia to arrive at the villa.

El arrived first and the three girls only became more antsy as time went on.

“Good evening, Nalulthyn, Iysinfyr. I apologize for being late, but my father needed to talk to me in length about something,” Davanvia said as she entered the front room of the villa.

Nal bowed slightly and gestured to a nearby couch.

Davanvia returned Nal’s bow but made no move to sit on the couch, “Thank you, but I have spent enough time sitting today.” She turned to Iysinfyr, “Now, what does the adorable Terran need to talk to me about?”

Nal chewed on her lip in frustration. Why did Davanvia automatically assume it was Iysinfyr that she needed to talk to?

Iysinfyr seemed to consider her words for a second, “We want you to help us with a project.”

Davanvia smiled and put her finger on her cheek, “Oh?”

Iysinfyr pulled out a communication crystal, “Well… I want to try using these to introduce a new form of entertainment.”

Davanvia looked skeptical, “Using communication crystals?”

Iysinfyr nodded, “I heard that one can speak to many at the same time and thought I could abuse this.”

Davanvia seemed to understand, but still looked skeptical, “Perhaps, but the crystal is much too small to let more than one or two look at the same time.”

Iysinfyr smiled, “I am pretty sure I can enlarge the image so many people can watch at once.”

Davanvia nodded in understanding but still didn’t look convinced, “I still do not see why you need me or why I should be interested.”

Iysinfyr shuffled her feet, “I want to make it so we can show performances and other things all over Amirr. And, well… none of us are good with that sort of thing.” 

A smile appeared on Davanvia’s face, “Why me? You could hire some peasant Vellis from off the street.”

Nal and El both looked at each other in realization.

Iysinfyr shook her head, “Because I am sure I can trust you.”

Davanvia’s smile softened, “Even though we have only met a few times?”

Iysinfyr nodded, “I have seen how you look after Nal, even if she doesn’t… does not realize it.”

Nal looked at Davanvia in confusion, “Take care of me?”

Iysinfyr turned to Nal, “In the crystal garden she was there to make sure you came back to that school and I think she comes out to see you between classes to make sure the other girls leave you alone.”

Nal became flustered, “What… why?”

Davanvia didn’t turn to Nal and instead turned away, hiding her face, “I will help, but have you gotten permission from your parents? Something like this will cost a lot of money.”

Iysinfyr shook her head, “We want to keep this a secret. If we get our parents involved, it will only make things more annoying.”

Davanvia laughed and turned back to face Iysinfyr, brushing some of her long hair over her shoulder, “True, parents get in the way a lot.” She became serious again, “But how will you get the money?” She looked at El for the first time, “I doubt it is your merchant’s daughter friend.”

Iysinfyr turned to the side, “I have an idea, but it is a secret.”

Davanvia gave Iysinfyr a suspicious look.

Nal had also wondered about this, but Iysinfyr refused to say anything.

“If you get the money and these special communication crystals ready, then I will gladly help. This seems like it could be enjoyable,” Davanvia nodded to herself. She then glanced to the petite personal maid that was waiting by the door, “If there is nothing else I should leave.”

Iysinfyr shook her head and neither Nal nor El said anything.

Davanvia nodded, “Then I will see you tomorrow.”

The three girls watched Davanvia leave before saying anything.

“I still don’t like her,” El whispered.

Nal nodded vigorously in agreement, “She is too nosey.”

Iysinfyr looked back to the door where Davanvia just went through, then back to the other two, “I don’t… ugh… do not think she is that bad, even if she is a Vellis.”

Nal and El looked at Iysinfyr like she was crazy.

***

Syl was sitting in a nook on the roof waiting for the girls to finish. She had already heard the plan so was fine spending some free time outside to enjoy the evening sun and was considering going back inside when something unexpected happened when she saw Davanvia leave the villa. 

“Congratulations, Lady Davanvia, this might be the event that helps you finally become friends with Lady Nalulthyn and Lady Iysinfyr.” the petite personal maid said when the door closed behind her.

Davanvia cracked her neck and rolled her shoulders, “I almost broke that time.”

The maid gave Davanvia a smile, “I know you want to be yourself around Lady Nal.”

Davanvia sighed, “I wish father was not so strict on etiquette. It is so tiring acting like that all day and it breaks my heart treating Eldraearna that way.”

“Maybe you can relax once you start helping them with this secret project of theirs?”

Davanvia smiled and then began brushing her long hair with her fingers, “I think Iysinfyr can do it. She may be quiet but she seems like she knows what she is doing.”

The two reached the waiting levitating carriage.

Davanvia looked back to the villa, “I should have asked what kind of entertainment they wanted.”

The maid opened the carriage door, “You can ask them tomorrow.”

Davanvia entered the carriage and said something that Syl couldn’t hear. The petite maid then entered too, closed the door, and the carriage soon left.

Syl smiled to herself. She had never disliked Davanvia, even if she had those over sized bags of flesh on her chest and that lewd body she liked to show off. Now, now she hoped that this was the real her and she would become friends with the three girls. They needed someone like her.

***

Deko watched her master tightening her newest project onto her hands and arms even though it was now late into the night, and everyone but the two of them were asleep.

Deko normally watched with only minor interest, but this project was different, “Are you planning on going somewhere tonight, master?”

Iysinfyr finished tying the bracer onto her left arm and looked at Deko, “Kitten, I’ve been thinking. When I killed Servant, did I get all of his abilities?”

Deko shrugged, her last master didn’t tell her enough about his experiments to know what happened when Iysinfyr used the ability he had given her, “I can see either way. What does this have to do with the crystal gloves and bracers you are wearing?”

Iysinfyr gave Deko a devious smile, “I’m going to pay some people a visit. Well, if it works.”

Deko didn’t know who Iysinfyr might want to see. They had only been in Crystal Garden a short time so there wasn’t much time for her to get to know anyone. “Who?”

Iysinfyr pulled her crystal forged sword out from its hiding spot from a false drawer in the large chest at the foot of her bed, “The Toa Mirran royal family.”

Suddenly it clicked in Deko’s head, “Have you tried to see if you can do it?”

Iysinfyr shook her head and began putting on some dark clothes, “I just thought of it while talking to Davanvia. We need money, and if I can weaken that vile family or if I’m lucky,” Iysinfyr swung her sword, “meet one. All the better.”

Images of the fight by the river flashed in Deko’s mind, and the bracers and gloves made sense. If she really could use that ability…

Deko grabbed her sword and waited for Iysinfyr.

Iysinfyr reached out her hand to Deko, “I hope I don’t teleport us inside a wall or we explode.”

Deko grabbed Iysinfyr’s hand and nodded.

Iysinfyr closed her eyes, “Imagine the castle. Imagine…”

Iysinfyr and Deko disappeared.

 

0