16: Father
985 5 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Just a fair warning, the next few chapters are going to be heavy. Thanks to Zea for helping me with the editing.

Elinora

I was already second-guessing myself. Was this really a good idea? After all the things mom told me about Jenna, this couldn’t end well. But then I reminded myself of Arine. When the things I've heard already scared me to the bone, how would Arine feel when she had experienced them firsthand?

As we moved further away from the city, the night became darker. Without Alos’ magic little fireflies dancing around the city at night, it was almost pitch black. Only the stars above bestowed us with the smallest hints of light, making it possible to barely see a few feet in front. The longer the trip was getting, the more tired I’d become. At first, it wasn’t a problem, but after hours keeping an eye out for the right stop, I drifted off to sleep every now and then. It was well past midnight when I missed at least three stops. I was starting to panic before I noticed that luckily, the stone still guided me further into the world, meaning I hadn't accidentally passed the most important halt in my life.

When I was about to drift off again, the stone started to change its direction. We were just about to dock in a village that looked...lonely. Of course, at this time of the day, I hadn't expected this place or any city to really be bustling with life. Hell, I was the only passenger left on the ship but this was a different kind of empty.

From far above, I could see shops and houses that had to have been abandoned for ages. Some buildings even stood in ruins, with not the least attempt at fixing them. I stepped onto the ground again and the chilling night air greeted me, making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I tried to brush it off and follow the stone’s lead before I had to stop. There, right behind one of the benches was something. A large, red, plush thing. Oh no.

I rushed toward it and saw that my fears have come true. It was Arine’s plush, covered in dirt and leaves. Was I already too late? Knowing Arine, she would never leave her beloved shallofin voluntarily, least of all in a godforsaken village like this. I put the plush under my arm and swallowed hard. I was in over my head but there was no going back now. I was so close to her, I could feel it. Just a little further.

The stone guided me inside a forest that was even creepier than the village. The trees were devoid of any leaves, the earth covered in mycelium, and the wind was howling between the swinging branches, casting shadows of crawling limbs onto the ground. And that wasn’t even the worst. No, the worst were the tormented screams of beings that wandered between the line of man and animal.

As I delved deeper inside the forest, I came to a halt on a small lake. At first, I thought its red tint was the reflection of the blood moon, but that couldn’t be. Far above us, the moon radiated with green light and a chill ran through my body. I got closer to the lake and started to inspect it. It didn't look much different, just like red water. Being new to this world and too curious for my own good, I made the grave mistake of putting my arm inside the lake. It felt like water and for a moment I sighed in relief...then I put my hand back up.

When my hand left the surface, the water dripping down my hand became heavy and viscous. Its color started to darken and it lost its reflective tint. The spell was broken and I was no longer looking at the water. I shook my hand violently trying to get this substance off me but it was no use. It stuck like glue and the lake started to call me. The bloody soup it had became started to blubber and before long it spit out multiple bodies. Their flesh ripped apart, horribly impaired bodies beginning to resurface, some of them not old enough to have experienced life yet.

It all became too much, I threw up in the middle of it and then ran as fast as I could away from this horror forest. But no matter how far I ran, I never reached the town again. The farther I thought I had escaped, the more I had circled back and I always ended up at the lake that cursed of despair again. The longer I stood there, the more exposed to the blood lake I got, the more I could hear the screams of anguish. It was as if the lake had not only taken their bodies but trapped their soul. And now, it wanted me too.

I couldn’t endure this any longer. No matter what I did, it always led me back there. I broke down against one of the many trees and started to contemplate my options. Were there even options? Every path took me back there, the screams wouldn't stop and slowly, but surely, I felt myself going insane. Was I even here anymore? Did I even stand a chance? Or was my fate sealed when I put my hand in that lake? Was I already a part of it and trapped in endless danger? Was my body already disintegrating and my soul was trapped in here forever? Was I fated to be consumed by madness? Arine, Mom, Ida...everyone. I don’t want to go- I don't want to live without you,- I,- I’m sorry.

Hearing my own thoughts over my sobbing was hard, and even harder was noticing the wet nose of someone wiggling their way between my chest and knees. I let go of my knees and the small creature made itself comfortable in my lap and started to purr. Red and fluffy, with some dark whiskers. A fox? No.

“You’re a spirit, aren't you?” The small fox spirit didn't reply. He put his paws on my shoulder and started to sniffle my face. Never before had I had an animal sniffle my face, least of all one that was a spirit, and who would have thought that their touch tickles? It was strange, but his presence made me calm down again. Did he come to help me?

The fox spirit seemed genuinely concerned for me. I smiled at him and started to pet his ghostly(?) fur. He jumped up from me and wandered into the forest. I was a bit sad that he wasn't close to me anymore, but then he looked back at me, urging me with his head to follow him.

I followed him and for once, it didn't feel like I was walking in circles for hours. I clearly felt the presence of that cursed lake fade and more spirits started to show up. At some point, there was a whole little army of small forest spirits following me carefully, holding the distance. And if we weren’t headed directly to those grotesque sounds that I heard earlier coming down deep inside the forest, I might have actually enjoyed the trip.

A blue glowing owl made itself comfortable on my shoulder and tried to make a bit of small talk. To my surprise, it looked at me, rotating its head a full three hundred sixty degree and while it didn’t speak per se, I felt it communicating with me. Honestly, it was hard to describe. There was no telepathy, or any word poem for the wolf and of the other spirits but I rather felt what they wanted to tell.

The experience was something else. The spirit showed me what the forest really was, or rather, what it used to be. How it was once full of life with all sorts of animals and plants calling this place their home. Children played until late at night because everyone knew the forest would protect them. And in turn, the villagers protected the forest. It used to be truly idyllic.

And then they showed me what happened, how a place once dedicated to protecting those around it might have turned into a withering pit that devoured the life out of all and everything that was naive enough to enter.

It was some years ago when the first child didn’t return home. The next morning a search party was sent into the forest to investigate, but when they didn't return after a week, people began to worry. A month after the child had vanished, the villagers heard terrible screams of pain. But by that time they were too afraid to investigate further. The spirits told me how one night, a terrible creature emerged from seemingly out of nowhere. Later, the villagers would describe this creature as having crawled right out of a nightmare. And with time, that thing began to devour all life it came in contact with.

Some people fled the village, taking their loved ones and leaving their possessions as they wanted to escape this terrible curse placed upon their lives. But not all were so fortunate, the village was never wealthy and most people couldn’t afford to leave. Over time, more and more children disappeared. Those unfortunate, determined parents who gambled their lives in search of their own child were never seen again. And after long, the screams at night become louder and more frequent. Devoured the entire life of the forest. Plants started to wither and the trees lost their life force. This left the walking horrors the only beings alive, if one could call them that.

They also showed me the truth of the blood lake. Once a favorite spot to parents and kids for relaxing and having fun, now it was a mass grave. Over time, the nature of the previously healing lake changed and when it adjusted to its new environment and became a prison for desperate souls searching for their loved ones.

I didn’t have to ask myself who was responsible for this terrible fate, the answer was too obvious. After a while, I noticed that only the fox spirits were still leading me. The others were watching us from a safe distance and for a moment I wondered why, until I saw it.

A few hundred yards before us was something that reminded me of an Ogre, a big club in hand. But it only reminded me of one as it lacked their distinct green color. It was big and ugly with brown skin where it wasn’t ripped apart and revealing the fibers of its muscles, and to some degree bones. I took a few steps back when the stone signaled me that Arine had to be close by. Fuck.

I was contemplating the best way to avoid fighting this thing when the monstrosity turned around and looked at me with it’s one big, bloody eye. I sped up my pace and was rushing back toward the spirits when loud footsteps thundered behind me. A quick glance behind told me that the thing was faster than it should be, and was going to be catching up to me in a few minutes if I didn't act fast.

I ran for my life and when the thundering stopped I hid behind a tree. My heart was racing, I couldn’t think straight. I looked around and noticed the spirits were gone. A glance backward told where they were. They had attacked the monster at some point and tried to hold in check for me to get away. The creatures were lashing out in frustration, shaking violently and with time the spirits couldn't hold their own any longer.

I looked away and hoped it wouldn't find me again, but the thumps became louder again and before long, I felt a strong presence behind me. I looked up at the tree and saw two hands gripping the tree and tearing it apart. With the tree gone, I was face to face with the monster.

I started running again but it was too late. The creature was close behind me and his club would hit me any time now. I am dead.

I knew magic could be dangerous and that there were lines you would rather not cross, but I never imagined my first fight to be against a living nightmare.

There was nothing much I could do. I had never practiced any offensive spells and I doubted a ball of condensed magic would do much to the abomination. I had already given up when I noticed the fox again. He was communicating with me again. I can’t exactly describe why or how but the fox had “mouthed” me a name, Iwan, and I knew what I had to do.

Straining my legs one last time, I got as much space between the creature and me before I would cast my first summon. I had approximately thirty seconds before I was going to be gibbering human soup. Gathering all my concentration, I created a rune circle on the ground, large enough to fit a car inside. I didn’t know all the runes needed for this spell so it wouldn’t be perfect, but the few I had practiced and saw while students had to do. The circle started to glow a bright yellow and spoke the word need, “Obsecro te ortus Iwan, protector de silva. Adjutorium meum intende et disperdes inimicos meos. Animum viribus meis”.

Was it too late? I could already feel the breeze of the club coming crashing down on me. Shutting my eyes tight I braced for that impact...but it never came. When I looked up, a wood giant was holding the club in one hand and the creature by its head in the other. Iwan, the protector.

The spell wasn’t perfect and I had summoned Iwan with many flaws. One of them was that his feet were rooted into the ground, making him utterly immobile. Another his wooden shape that lacked the protective crust. But it was enough for now.

Iwan had the upper hand and after a short struggle, he crushed the monster’s head with pure brutality. We both thought this would be the end of it, but the thing didn’t stop spasming and was violently striking at Iwan with even more force. This was a problem. Summoning and especially maintaining the connection put a huge strain on me and I couldn't hold Iwan much longer. Soon the connection would break and my magic reserves would be emptied. I had to think back to Mom, Ida, and Arine once more, how I felt when she disappeared, or the fact that I might never see anyone of them again. I put all my emotions into Iwan and hoped for a miracle.

As if awoken to newfound power, Iwan stopped the creature's attack and broke its arm. He grabbed him by the waist and pulled up above him before he broke it in two like snapping a branch. The monster stopped struggling and now it was dead for real. Iwan started to disappear and the two halves of the thing plopped to the ground. There was no blood, just bones and flesh and...maggots crawling out of the creature's insides.

I was done, I was completely done for. I searched for something to hold onto at a nearby tree and tried to collect my breath again. My legs were shaking, my heart was racing and I was sweating like never before. I leaned onto the tree and wondered how I should proceed. Fighting another one of those things was out of the question, but if I wanted to find Arine, it would be inevitable.

A clapping sound coming from behind one of the trees interrupted my thought. “Well done.” a male voice said. It sounded familiar but I couldn't quite place it.

“I’m glad you didn’t get yourself killed. Now that would have ruined all my hard work.” The figure stepped out of the shadow and I gasped.

“D-Dad?”

“Hello.” as he took another step towards me, I saw movement behind him. Before long I saw at least twelve of these grotesque creatures surrounding me. Not one looked the same, some were big and bloated, others looked scrawny with sharp claws and still, others looked like an assortment of limbs.

Noticing my discomfort, my father, no, Jared came even closer and looked down at me. “I see your mother has gotten in your head but don't worry, ” his eyes were dead, devoid of any emotions as he spoke, “we will fix that soon, son.”

34