22: A Favour to ask
768 7 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elinora

It was nice, the quiet of Zalla's realm together with being so close to Arine again. I savored every moment before the Goddess brought us back to reality.

“Before I return you to your world, I have a favor to ask.”

“Everything!” I didn’t need to think twice after all she had done for us, especially for me. Saving our lives from Jenna’s creations and most importantly, giving me part of my happiness back. Sure, not having magic sucks but right at this moment, I was so over the moon. I didn’t care even a little bit.

“You both showed great skill. Being my and my sisters gate into the human world and having reignited a connection I thought lost for centuries. Now I know that there is hope.”

“What exactly would you have us do?” Arine asked with a weary smile while looking for support.

“I want you both to bring my sister back to her senses.”

Okay, that was unexpected. Arine was as surprised as me, neither of us knew what to say. I don’t think she was looking forward to battling the goddess that was kind of responsible for her situation in the first place and I didn’t really feel too confident either, being completely magicless and all.

On the other hand, she had done so much for us and the look in her eyes… It’s hard to put into words but despite her being an all-mighty entity, she looked so desperate… and… hopeful at the same time. I don’t have any siblings but I could only imagine what it must be like for her. This might be the only opportunity for her to see her beloved sister ever again. In the end, Arine was the one who made the decision for us. 

“Ok. We’ll do it… I… I know how it is to lose someone close to you... but where would we even start?”

“She’s right, we know nearly nothing about her and I’m useless. We only just made it here, how would we be able to go against a goddess?” I’d really wanted to help her but I was also realistic. I don’t know what Zalla saw in us but I definitely didn’t see it.

“Let me soothe your fears with a tale about my sister. Sit down and let me tell you of her and that fateful day.”

We did as she asked and an insane wave of nausea overcame me, ripping me from my body. Once my sense returned it felt like I was in a blurry dream. As if I was experiencing someone else's life……...

About five hundred years ago...

 

Palliva Sypha

“How do you expect me to stay calm in a situation like this!”

“Please it’s important to plan ahead now. If we act hastily it could have grave consequences.”

“Grave consequences? Grave consequences? They have Alidia, do you even have the slightest idea what they are gonna do to her if we don’t get her now?”

“I know how this sounds but we shouldn’t make it any worse than it already is.”

“No. It can’t get any worse. I will find her and I WILL bring her back.” I didn’t care about their pleads anymore. This was a different matter now. As soon as they got Alidia, it became personal.

And all of this only weeks away from our wedding. No. I didn't care anymore. And if I have to burn every single one of them into the ground.

Ignoring their objection I took my hood and made my way to her last known location. Somewhere deep in the ever-blue forest. A forest whose leaves gather the magic form long-dead Sorcerers and return it to the living. It’s said to be the bridge between heaven and the underworld. I can only guess what Alidia would do at a place like this, but the last time I saw her, before this disaster, she told me she needed to meet someone important there. 

I told her that I wasn't a fan of this, least even of her going alone, "I'm a grown woman Palli, I can handle myself." she said as if that would make it any better. Yes, she was but our enemy was a damn sect that made pacts with the literal incarnation of evil. Of course, I wasn't gonna let her go alone and still somehow she convinced me, and now... this!  

My mind always wanders back to the note that arrived earlier this morning. ‘Tomorrow at dawn our rise will begin, your doom is upon and the world will be united once again.’

Together with Alidia's necklace. It was a special necklace I gifted her after our engagement. Enchanted with the Goddess magic it was supposed to keep her safe, to keep us together.

She would have never taken it off on her own. She didn’t once in all those years but yet there it was. I clutched the necklace tighter in my hands.

If only she still had it, but now there was no way to locate her. Stranger even the faint traces of Zere's magic, subtly but clearly noticeable wherever she went, gone. Not here, not in the bed, we slept in together and not in the forest either.

Focusing on myself I sat down in the middle of a small clearing, the dark sky above was a bad omen not only for rain but for something far worse.

Think straight Palli, you can't fuck this up now.

I let go of all the uncertainty, all my worries, and dreams. My head needed to be empty and so I took a few deep breaths before I close my eyes.

My mind drifts, the chilly air stops stroking my arms. I no longer feel the rain but instead, I'm at a different place now. That is, my spirit.

When I open my eyes again I see what I feared most. The flowers rotten away, the grass turned into ash and the spring of life tainted red. As I make my way closer toward it I see the spirits. Once invited to watch Zere's realm, to protect the scarred spring, dead. And those who aren't, I wish they were for I can feel their pain.

"Palli?" A small one whispers. He's alive still but close to death, I can see the darkness consuming him, his body already half-eaten. 

"What, what happened here?" I ask the small rabbit-like spirit.

"They... They came... it was so fast, they poisoned the spring I..." I took the spirit in my arms, he was young. Not older than the last spirit bloom.

"Please, it's okay. The pain will be gone soon, don't talk." I hated this, I hated this so much. I could see them, speak with them but I also shared their pain and especially one so young. How could I take the life of something so precious, so innocent? But his soul, the torment he was going through, no being should be subject to something like this.

"You will be one with nature again," I whisper to him as I turn his body into pure magic. I tried to save more but it was pointless. The once still alive too damaged to return into a pure form, the ones already consumed too far corrupted by darkness.

"This is not good." I heard her from behind me. Ever since I entered Zere's realm I could feel her by my side. She must be as worried for her sister as I am for my love.

"What happened?" I ask her standing before the spring, watching her red-colored reflection. 

"Let me show you." And I saw what had happened not a day before. A group of people, dressed in traditional dan'hir attire invaded her realm and threw something in the spring. It reddened not soon after. Meanwhile, there was Zeres, tending to some of her spirits but as soon as the red taint had devoured the entire spring, something changed. Lost was her carrying attitude, replaced by a cruel, murderous one. 

"Please stop. That is enough." I can't stomach seeing her torture those spirits any longer.

I needed a moment to calm myself down but a terrible realization hit soon after. "Oh no, we need to go, now!"

Not a second after and I was back in ever-blue. "Zallas, will you lend me your power?"

There was no answer, but there didn't need to be one, as I felt the surge of her magic enter my vines. How it was rushing through my body, how I felt the magic enhancing every one of my muscles. I was more awake now than ever before.

In front of me the flow of magic now clearly visible and right there was a purple one. The main signature of Zerres. Nothing too unusual until I reached the other end of the forest and was greeted by a sign of destruction.

An ocean of flames, silently burning down not only the earth beneath it but turning the very magic that created it into black mist. Irreversible destruction of all life. I feel my nails burying themselves deep within my skin. This was more than a simple abduction. I didn't want to think of what might happen once I found Alidia.

Calling upon Zalla sacred magic, I cast a purification spell, it would take years until it was safe to walk those lands again, but at least the flames won't spread now. I follow her trail further and the closer I get, the more suffering I have to experience. 

From burning forests to animals so disfigured, mother nature herself would have killed it on sight. But the worst were the villages. In the distance, I hear a baby cry. I find it in the arms of his mother's smoldering remains. It survived but for what? The mist already in its lung, slowly transforming him into a resident of the underworld. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper to the dead mother as I take the baby and release his soul.

"This has to stop." I hear Zallas echo in my head.

"I know. But she can't be far now."

The trail of destruction led me into yet another burned-down village, it had to be the fourth so far. I wonder how many more it would take before I found her when one of the corpses grabbed my attention. It was not only still recognizable as human, no it was still burning. Alidia had to be in here somewhere.

Searching through a few of the leftover buildings it didn't take much longer to find her. Cowering in the corner of the main building there she was or what was left of her.

Weary of her appearance, being half consumed by madness and regret, I drew my knife. Slowly, I approached her but she didn't seem to notice until I stood right in front of her.

It was only then that I saw the true terror in her soul, when she looks up toward me, there was nothing in her eyes. Not the love she held for me, nor the wonder she felt for life. Only emptiness.

"Palli, please," she said and stood up, her face wet with tears and her clothes drained in blood and ash. She didn't say another word as she walked towards me, closing the short distance between us, just her smile and those eternal empty eyes.

I tried to step away, put some more distance between us but she was fast, faster than I was. My whole body began to shake and the knife was about to fall but then her hand touched mine, and our eyes meet for one final time.

“How, how do you expect me to do this? I… I can’t. Alidia, I love you please...”

“Don’t worry pali, ” she said and let her chin rest upon my shoulder, “let me take care of it...for you.” She pushed her body father and father against the knife in my hands. 

I couldn’t move, couldn’t think, couldn't do anything but watch as the one person I loved most died in my arms. “ I will meet you again, pali. Never forget our love is bound by fate and...”

“Alidia, please.” I wanted to scream, I wanted to tear everything apart but it was too late now and nothing could save her anymore.

“I'm happy… I could share this last moment… with you...” and just like that her heart stopped beating. The warmth left her body and I watched her soul drift away into the afterlife.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you.” 

One day we shall meet again, in another life.

Current

Elinora

My vision became blurry again, the scene disorienting before my eyes and there I stood again, next to Arine in the garden of a goddess. 

“What was that? It felt so real.” 

“What you experienced were the memories of your ancestors.” she said and turned her eyes on Arine, “And the last moments in the life of yours, Arine.”

I couldn’t tell what she was thinking, there was no expression on her face and she didn't say anything either.  And to be honest, I didn’t know what to think myself. It was only then that Arine asked what should have been obvious.

“Why are you showing us that?”  Her voice was so monotone, so without expression as if she already knew the answer. What was worrying her so much?

“Because those memories marked the beginning of your destiny. It shows the cause of Zeres madness and sacrifice made to banish it.”

The whole time I could only stare at Arine, this didn’t mean… not after everything we’ve been going through? Destiny is only what you make of right? There’s not a singular entity that writes your fate down before you even exists?! The decisions I make are mine and mine alone, there’s not someone who dictates how I act or feel just for their story to play out, right? RIGHT?!

“Hey, Eli.”

“Huh?”

“Your eyes are getting wet.”

I touched my face and she was right. How could I not have noticed, how could I..

“It’s alright Eli,” she smiled at me, “everything will be fine remember?”

“U… Uhu.” I found myself in her shooting embrace again, but was unable to let go of those thoughts. Pulling at her sleeves I tried to get her attention again, even without looking, I felt her smiling at the distance, “Ari?”

“Yes?”

“Why does it always have to be like this for us?”

She was shuffling around a bit, clearly thinking and then her eyes started fixating the deep blue sky, “Let’s not worry about it okay? As long as I’m with you I don’t care what happens.”

“But -”

“No, it’s okay.” Why did she feel so warm all of a sudden? And so relaxed? “If the past months have taught me anything, then it’s that you should value every moment you can and not worry about what might or might not happen.”

Somehow, what she said made sense and while my brain still wouldn’t accept any of it, my body began to relax. Value the moment? If only every moment could have been so valuable as this one. Even though we didn’t do anything it felt ardent and powerful. 

“I am sorry this vision troubled you so but it was necessary for you to understand what had happened all those centuries ago.”

Hearing the voice of the goddess brought me back from my dream-like state and judging by her reaction, it did likewise for Arine.

“Okay,” she asked, “so what are we supposed to do? Where do we even start?”

“I am sorry for I can not answer your questions. All that I know is that this marks the beginning of your destiny. I can’t tell you how but fate brought you before me today.”

Arine was in the process of thanking the goddess for all she’s done for us today and was about to send us on our way back when one last thing popped into my mind.

“Yes, child?”

“Jenna stole my magic, how can I help if I can't use magic?” 

This thought should probably have crossed me sooner but I was too occupied stomaching this vivid recollection of memories and worrying about those implications.

“I don’t know how she did it but what I can tell you is this; Magic can never be lost.”

I wanted her to clarify that a bit more but it was already too late and I experienced the same headache that first overcame me after entering the temple.

When the world around me stabilized I found myself lying next to Arine who woke up shortly after. 

“Ahh. My head hurts.” Mine did too. It felt as if I was rudely interrupted while having a heavenly dream.

I watched her as she tried to stand up, a task I didn’t quite felt up to myself just yet. She was slowly stumbling through the massive hall massaging her temples until she rested herself at a pillar.

“Those things aren’t here anymo..” she stopped mid-sentence as her eyes fell upon me, “Eli! You’re back!”

“Of course I’m back, where else should I be?”

“No, I mean you’re body.” I looked down at myself. For a second I didn't know what to think or say until it hit me.

“It wasn’t just a dream?!” I couldn’t help myself but grin. We did it, we really did it.

Arine was as relieved as me, maybe even a bit more, hard to tell what she was thinking really but I was just glad that we could leave that chapter behind us now.

Together we left the temple, stepping over the burnt remains of Jenna's monstrosities and into the city of memories as Arine used to call it now. The city itself was also a bit different, it seemed friendly, maybe? Where I remember before the memories would ignore us and mind their own business, it almost seems as if they were smiling upon us now. 

Might have been just my imagination, who knows.

We didn’t try to avoid the memories this time, I had a feeling they wouldn’t hurt us and so our way back was much faster this time around. Climbing those deadly stairs again, of course, was a different matter again and one I could have done without.

How we did it, I don't know but after several hours we finally managed to reach the top of the cliff again where we saw Mom and Mr. Sirus already on their way in the distance. As soon as she saw me, she began sprinting towards us.

She grabbed first me in a tight hug and then urged Arine to join in.

“Uhm, I’m fine thank you.”

“Nonsense,” she said while stretching out a hand towards Arine, before something pulled her towards us, “I was so worried about you two, what happened?”

We retold them everything that happened so far, from when we first parted ways to our meeting with Zallas. The only thing we didn’t include was her request and the weird surreal experience she showed us. I wouldn’t want to worry her or Mr. Sirus now any more than necessary. 

After we finished our story it was their turn to tell. Apparently, after we disappeared, they found themselves in some kind of magical circle that couldn’t be broken until Zallas returned us back into this world. I was shocked to hear that five days had passed already.

Mom also told us that me reconnecting with Zalla’s had created a massive disruption in the natural flow of magic although she wouldn’t tell me what exactly this meant.

Soon after we prepared ourselves for the trip back, as we came through the town we told the major that there should be no more strange occurrences from now on. I didn’t quite understand it but it had something to do with Zallas magic, repelling everything other magic around runegard… or something. Again, she wouldn't tell me.

By midnight, we made it to the next station and barely got the last airship. A few more minutes and we could have waited the next eight hours until morning, something I wasn’t too fond of as I couldn't wait to tell Lyn and the other about our trip. I hope they weren’t too worried about our sudden disappearance.

I spent most of the trip on the front deck, enjoying the cold night air. My mind was always wandering back to that vision or rather, to the memories Zallas let me experience. I wondered what it all meant, how we could help save her sister, if it was even possible, about her last words. Magic never vanishes. Was there really a way I could become my magic back?

The only thing I didn’t worry about was Arine. Not because I wouldn't but because I didn’t know what it would do to me if I thought too much about it. After all, she said it’ll be alright and I’ll believe her. 

The chilly air, the dark sky, the creaky noises of the ship, it all made me forget about life for a while. Soon I’d be at Alos again and things would return to normal once more. At least for a while. And I made a decision. Once we're in Alos, I’ll tell Arine my feelings.  Maybe it’s selfish or not the right moment, maybe I should wait longer but… who knows. When will I get a chance to tell her again? As soon as we’re in Alos, I’m telling her. I’ll take her to a special place and once the sun is-

“Something is wrong”

A voice abruptly brought me back from my daydream, it was Arine’s, “what?”

“It’s still night.” It’s still night? Of course, it is... how long have we been flying for now… 3hours? “It’s 8 hours already. The sun should have set along time ago”

There was something in the distance. I couldn't see it but-

 “Urgh” 

“Arine?!” She collapsed in front of me but luckily could catch her own fall. 

“I’m..-I’m okay.”

Whatever had hit Arine, hit me soon after. As if someone punched my gut, hard. I looked over to Arine and to my horror found out that her eye was glowing again, but that wasn’t even the worst.

The sky was turning purple.

31