Chapter 30: [Annihilation & Fear]
188 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Fucking bastard…” Lewis muttered under his breath as he watched Haley stroll out of the room leisurely while he fiddled with a card in his hands, the card was one issued by the Central Lunuva Bank and was used in large business transactions usually in the millions.

It was due to a combination of factors that Haley had successfully received 7 Million Luna, only 3 Million less than he had asked for. The first, of course, was the fact that Lewis was confident that despite Haley’s strength he was simply one man – it was impossible for him to walk away from their turf alive in his eyes. However, the most important factor could be said to have been Haley’s aloof attitude that irritated Lewis the longer he spoke to him; he had given Haley the money to make him leave because he couldn’t wait for him to walk to his death!

Haley had somewhat guessed his intentions however and had indicated for #01 to notify him if it detected any suspicious movements outside and observe anyone who it deemed to be a threat with as much stealth as was possible for a drone.

It could be said that he was taking quite the risk simply strolling back through the base of someone who clearly wanted to kill him but he was very clear on the fact that ‘Lewis’ wouldn’t make a move until he left for the sake of saving face in front of his subordinates – he would have a secret group that he used to take care of real the real problems for him take action after he left.

Or so he thought anyway, ‘It’s entirely possible that he could simply let me leave.’ He mused, but he predicted that the chances of that happening after how much he had infuriated the man was near to nil.

He was eyed warily as he left the building, the guard squad had followed him all the way back to the gymnasium and watched silently as he walked up the stairs; half expecting them to fire at him he had eyed them vigilantly as well but they didn’t so much as move despite keeping their hands on their rifles at all times.

Cheekily just before he moved out of sight he turned and gave them a small and slow wave which caused several of them to flinch giving Haley a small laugh from their jumpiness.

Unfortunately, they didn’t know that his small wave just now was to the cameras watching him rather than them – there was a group of twenty waiting for him in the shadows the moment he stepped outside the door.

Normally being outnumbered like he was, and outgunned, would cause any normal and rational person to feel fear at the overwhelming odds – especially since he estimated that every one of them was a highly trained killer specialised in this sort of work, but Haley? Normal was a word he had long since begun to disassociate with himself.

Apart from himself no one else knew that the moment he had started to turn to the guards he had ordered back-up from the additional drones on standby left at his home; by dragging out the wave he had given himself a few seconds more of valuable time as they quickly rushed to his location – as he spent the next several seconds slowly ascending the steps the drones were only twenty seconds away by the time he reached the door.

He counted the seconds slowly as he reached for the handle, faking a yawn and grinning at the camera as he held up the card containing worth millions of Luna with an exaggerated smugness.

Just as he touched the handle of the door and started to turn it had the drones arrived, without a second thought he pushed open the door and walked outside and as he waited for the sound of the door closing behind him he ordered his drones to get into position.

He watched the streets that were conveniently cleared which was most likely intentional, he lazily glanced around not focusing on any specific spot but long enough to observe the hiding spot of a few of the assassins.

‘If it wasn’t for #01 I really would’ve had trouble noticing any of them, I can only make out eight of them as well…’ If he wasn’t trying to keep up the act to show he hadn’t noticed anything and let the assassins drop their guard he would’ve sighed.

Lazily he began the slow descent down the row of stairs.

Thump.

The drones had gathered there targets, leaving Haley to deal with the remaining eight that he had detected before.

Thump.

He watched through #01 as the one who seemed to be the leader of the group began to speak.

Thump.

The final step.

Bang!

There were a total of seven drones, yet there was only the sound of one unified shot as seven people simultaneously lost their lives without knowing how they died.

In moments the place descended into pandemonium as the remaining 13 began to fire their weapons, the drones quickly flew around trying to avoid their shots as they fired back – Haley rushed towards the assassin nearest to him who had completely forgotten about him and was now firing at #01 who was doing its best to avoid and fire at another assassin Haley had designated as the target.

The man didn’t even notice as Haley’s fist hit in the face causing his skull to cave in, Haley didn’t have time to admire his own work as he quickly made his way to his next target.

In little to no time were there only six assassins remaining, the drones had long since stopped firing as ordered by Haley who wanted to stretch his muscles by fighting – it was only after he had killed two people that he realised that these assassins were far too weak for him to truly gauge how strong he was causing him to lament his decision of ending the leader with a surprise attack first.

‘Finish them.’ He ordered mentally, a couple of seconds later the remaining six people were dead on the floor riddles with hundreds of bullet holes in each corpse. Haley silently ordered #01 to descend before floating back to his base.

Lewis sat at the control centre of the Lost Gold Mercenaries and watched in a private room the camera footage of the outside section.

Smash…

His coffee had covered the floor but he didn’t notice as he simply looked in disbelief at the destruction outside, he watched as Haley killed his people with ease and yet he didn’t dare do anything himself out of pure fear.

“I have to report this to the main branch… this… who the hell is Zero?!” He shouted in a mix of rage and shock, on the screen the screen of Haley destroying one of the assassin’s skulls with a single punch was on loop. There was a devilish grin on his face that sent shivers down the spine of anyone who looked at him, there was a box around his face running scans on the screen but only mere seconds later Lewis was met with something unexpected:

[Error: Entity does not exist in database.]

Only for him to watch in shock as the footage deleted itself leaving Lewis with nothing but his memory and fear.

7