5.5 – ?
2.2k 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"W-what the Hell?"

In a location known to few, deep underground, a little blue blip flashed on a computer monitor. A little blue blip that shouldn't be there.

"Come look at this!"

The illumination in the room was close to zero, and all the machinery looked like it was from the seventies - probably because it was. One person sat at a large desk, the towering wall of screens in front of him all black except for that one little blue blip. His hands flew across the keyboard, pulling up information on smaller monitors closer to him: coordinates, timecodes, and strands of numbers most people would pass off as computer-generated and meaningless.

Another man, his superior, came to his side. Steam wafted up from the coffee mug in his hand. With interest he studied the stats flashing on the screen, sipping deeply from his cup.

"Interesting... quite a powerful reading." he tapped the man's shoulder, who wrung his hands nervously as he got to his feet. Placing down his coffee, he took his seat and began to type.

"How far have you got on tracking the location so far?"

"East Coast."

"Wonderful. Naturally occurring, or-"

"Seems, it seems-" the man took a breath to compose himself. "Intentional."

Raising an eyebrow, he took another sip of coffee as he hit a key. A new strand of numbers flashed on the screen. "Didn't seem like there was any attempt at cloaking it, either. What do you think?"

"I, I don't know, sir."

The man hit a circular button on the console, and whirring filled the air. A printer, built into the desk, had become active. Plucking the ticket from the machine, he passed it over to his subordinate. "Final coordinates. Check where these are."

As the other man rushed away, he leaned back in his seat. Soon enough, the location came back to him.

"Watford, Pennsylvania... seems to be a suburb, of, y'know. Suburbs."

For a while, there was silence.

"So, are you... are we going to do anything, sir?"

The man, who had been drinking from his mug, put it down again. "Of course."

Reaching to his belt, he pulled a small device from it, pressing a button on the side and holding it down.

"Latitude 40.0448, longitude -75.4388. Watford, Pennsylvania. Suburban area. Massive energy reading. Possibly intentional. Go there and check things out."

When he finished speaking, he lifted his finger from the button. He watched the device... a red light on it flashed green.

"Wipe the sweat off your forehead." he stood up, taking his coffee with him. "We've got her on the job."

24