Chapter 3: The End of Human Era
351 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

North Sentinel Island, one of the Islands comprising the many islands of Andaman and Nicobar situated in the seas of the Bay of Bengal.

This island was home to the world's last uncontacted tribe.

They were discovered in 1771 by the 'East India Company Hydrographic Survey' vessel, the Diligent.

Their first contact with the outside world was during the monsoon of the year 1867 when an Indian merchant vessel 'Nineveh' foundered on the reef off North Sentinel Island.

All the passengers and crew reached the beach safely, but as they proceeded for their breakfast on the third day, they were suddenly attacked by the Sentinelese tribe.

Based on various probes and estimations, the population of the Sentinelese tribe was estimated to be between 50 to 150.

Very little information about them was known, the main reason being their extreme hostility to the outsiders.

They had dark, shining black skin with prominent muscles and ranged in height between 1.6 metres (5 feet 3 inches) and 1.65 metres (5 feet 5 inches).

Every attempt to make contact with the Sentinelese tribe was met with a volley of arrows and spears.

There were also various instances that were documented in which the people trying to make contact were either killed or severely injured at the very least.

There were only two instances where the people trying to make contact weren't met with a volley of arrows but it was an exception that happened very long ago.

In 1956, the Government of India declared North Sentinel Island a tribal reserve and prohibited travel within 3 miles (4.8 Kilometres) of it.

It also maintains a constant armed patrol to prevent intrusions by outsiders. Photography of them was also prohibited.

The Sentinelese tribe were said to have a culture spanning 60,000 years old and were thus left undisturbed.

Today, North Sentinel Island operated just as normal. Tribesmen hunted fishes and shelled creatures for food and did whatever else an ancient primitive tribe would do.

Suddenly, from a small inconspicuous hut on the island that covered about 2 square metres in area, rows upon rows of humanoid figures began to walk out one by one.

Their appearance seemed to be the exact same as the tribesmen of the Sentinelese tribe but they were armed to the teeth in what appeared to be crystallized armour.

1,2,3…10…100…200…300…

More and more armed humanoid figures walked out of that small hut and assembled in an orderly fashion.

The moment the Sentinelese tribesmen spotted the rows upon rows of armed figures walk out, tears poured out of their eyes, seemingly unable to contain their turbulent emotions.

Some laughed at the skies, some howled in a beastly manner, some fainted while others silently wept in their spots. They were feeling all sorts of emotions, their feet barely able to maintain a sense of balance due to their shivering bodies.

The armed figure that emerged out first declared a message in the form of a roar, his unconcealed joy radiating out like a tidal wave.

"Humans have finally exhausted their power of creation. Hahaha,"

"Yeeaaahh!" All of the armed figures, including the Sentinelese tribesmen cheered. They felt as if a noose that had been tightening around their necks suddenly snapped off, they were now unhindered once again.

The armed figure continued, "It has been 10,000 years, generation after generation patiently awaited to witness this day. Now, we are that fortunate generation; to have the opportunity to lay witness as we reclaim all of our lost glory."

His voice choked, his emotions turbulent but his eyes had unwavering radiance as he declared, "Glory to the Gods. From this day forth, it is our Era. The Era of the Gods!"

"It is our Era!"

"The Era of the Gods!"
.............

"Cough…cough" Prakash woke up with a fit of coughs.

"This is…?" As he regained a sense of clarity in his blurry vision, Prakash found himself lying at the edge of a cliff.

As he slowly peaked over the edge, Prakash gazed at the floor of shiny white below the cliff that stretched for as far as his eyes could see.

The spot he woke up on didn't feel like soil or rock or anything that seemed to be a product of nature. It had a rough rubber-like texture and shone with an oily sheen.

As he slowly observed his immediate surroundings, his eyes spotted a huge rectangular-ish object lying a fair distance away from him.

Still feeling a bit muddled, Prakash slowly walked towards the object as he tried to sort out his thoughts in the meantime.

"What?" Prakash felt a shock pass through him as he had finally walked close enough to the object to be able to gaze at its entirety. Only now could he clearly view all of the details that he failed to notice when he happened to be far away.

It was a cuboidal object that was a bit curved around the edges, had varied indentations on its surface, and was embedded with some cylindrical objects on its top that were evenly spaced from each other.

The obvious reason for his shock was the letters that were imprinted upon the topmost corner of the cuboidal box.

'SONY'

"I-Isn't this my TV remote?" Prakash blurted out in his confusion as he took a careful look at it.

"Why is it so big?"

Sensing a bad premonition, Prakash took a good look at his surroundings and managed to spot many familiar things.

He noticed his TV remote, a bowl of chips, a shirt and a trouser.

"Wait a sec…" It was only then that Prakash took a good look at himself.

"I'm naked…?"

"That's not the most important factor. Why are all of them so huge?"

A sudden thought flashed through his mind. It was not that everything else became big, the other way round way also possible.

"I became small?" Even if he didn't want to believe it, the truth was laid bare before his eyes. He had no choice but to accept it.

"Aaargh!" Prakash clutched his head in pain as his thoughts reoriented themselves and he could distinctly remember everything that had happened before he ultimately fainted.

"Anita!" Prakash began to sprint in a certain direction. Based on the location of the objects, he concluded that he was currently standing upon the sofa and dashed in the direction of the location where Anita sat before this mishap occurred.

He jumped across two gullies, dived into a heap of unnecessarily heavy clothes that appeared to be women's wear and finally spotted a humanoid figure that silently lay there within the pile, unmoving.

"Beautiful!... Damn my stupid pig-celled brain." Prakash admonished himself as he neared Anita.

Prakash sighed in relief as he could feel the pulse and a steady breathing pattern in her. He carefully picked her up in his arms and brushed through the heap of clothes and came out into the open and gently laid her on the ground.

He slowly tried to wake her up by lightly tapping on her cheeks as he repeatedly called out her name. Two eyelids slowly opened as they blinked a few times in confusion until they regained a sense of clarity.

His heart raced a little as he gazed in close-up at her beautiful eyes with dark brown irises that always had a sense of sharpness to them.

Anita felt confused as she slowly sat up and gazed at the naked figures of both her and her husband when she seemed to recall the sudden pain that had radiated from her heart which made her unconscious in an instant.

"W-What happened…?" Anita inquired as she double-checked to see if all of her limbs and motor functions worked normally.

"I have no idea. Just that… we became small." Prakash said with a sigh, clearly feeling it difficult to accept his own answer.

Anita's eyes widened in surprise as she double-checked her surroundings; Cotton clothes that were many times larger than her own body, their colours matching those that she wore till now and, the texture and colour of the 'Floor' felt the exact same as their leather sofa.

Anita's eyes suddenly enlarged so much that it felt as if they would pop out of her eye sockets as her body began to tremble uncontrollably.

She grabbed hold of Prakash's shoulders as she pointed at a certain direction, her mouth failing to form coherent words.

As Prakash gazed at the direction she pointed at, it was the first time in his life that he experienced primal fear of such magnitude.

A mammoth beast slowly entered their vision, its steps as slow and silent as it could be. Its usually wagging tail now stiff, its eyes locked in their general direction and saliva slowly dripped down its canine teeth. It released a low guttural sound as it came within the proximity of a few feet from them.

The husband and wife duo slowly began to backtrack in a synchronized manner. They didn't make any unexpected noise as they slowly proceeded to move towards the rear end of the sofa.

There was usually a small gap in the cushion where two sides (The sitting one and resting one) meet. The inner edges of most leather sofas commercially sold in their city were arranged in this manner so that instead of stitching two different leather pieces, just a single wide leather can be used for the entire sofa.

The husband and wife duo were currently gunning to slip in between that gap.

As small as they currently were, they had zero hope that their dog Shaggy could recognize them. Its original owners were taller than itself while the current two munchkins in front of it could be easily swallowed by the dog in one gulp. Moreover, the scent of blood coming off from it shattered their tiny budding hope.

Generally, German shepherds weren't known for their tame nature. Sure, they behaved well after they were trained by humans (When humans were big) but that was only in front of humans. Against any other creature, they were vicious predators.

The duo suddenly noticed that the forelegs of Shaggy began to bend.

"Run!" Prakash bellowed as he dragged Anita with him and sprinted towards the cushion gully.

"Grrr" Shaggy jumped high up into the air, its forelegs landed on the edge of the sofa cushion as its head region lunged forward to bite the two scurrying prey. The duo timely separated in two different directions leaving the lunging head to stall a second midair in indecision.
As Shaggy tried to move forward after locking onto a target, it found itself stuck as its forelegs seemed to have gotten lodged into the leather cushion due to its sharp nails that easily tore into the leather and by the momentum it had built up during its lunge.

"Quick!" Prakash urged as they made use of the small window of opportunity before it could free its legs and entered into the gaps along the edges.

4