01.Legacy
4.2k 12 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the border between the human kingdoms of Sadora and Varest, two great armies clashed.

On the ground, shields and spears struck each other, marking the beginning of the battle.

On the flanks of both armies the cavalry divisions brutally rammed into each other.

The skies were no exception to the battle, the Wyvern riders fought fiercely while maintaining the proper altitude to keep off the clouds of arrows that rose and then fell on the infantrymen.

The conflict between the two human kingdoms had erupted because of the imposition of heavy tariffs by Sadora against any goods sent or brought from Varest.

Neither realm attempted to negotiate, making it clear that the matter was merely a pretext for initiating a war.

Varest was a prosperous kingdom that possessed great wealth thanks to maritime trade, while Sadora was a declining kingdom that needed to find a way out of its decades-long impasse.

Sadora had always sought access to the sea to enjoy maritime trade, Varest wanted to expand its territory. This was the true reason why nearly one hundred thousand soldiers had been forced into this bloodbath and death.

Allegedly underestimating Sadora's forces, the kingdom of Varest had sent reserve forces, low-ranking knights, and wyvern raiders near retirement.

Among those low-ranking knights was a beautiful young woman with blond hair and violet eyes. Her name was Elena Lutrel of sixteen-year-old, the bastard daughter of Marquis Armand Eis Lutrel.

The reason why such a young woman was in this hell despite her young age was that she had no other choice. After stabbing one of her older half-brothers when he tried to rape her, Elena had ended up being forced to join an order of knighthood at the age of thirteen to escape.

Unfortunately for Elena, she did not possess any special talents, and despite her best efforts, she never managed to rise in rank and remained a knight simply because of the noble name she bore.

Women knights were not uncommon, some seeking honor and a name of their own, while others like Elena had simply fled their homes. When it came to ascending among the knights, there were only two ways for women to do so, with talent, or by doing sexual favors.

Elena had no talent, and as for giving up her chastity, this was something that would never cross her mind, not for the honor of her family, but out of respect for the memory of her late mother. Considering Elena's great beauty, such a decision provoked the ill will of those women who chose the easy way, as well as of her superiors and companions who wished to lay their hands on her.

It was all those decisions that led Elena to her current situation. With no talent and due to her refusal to give up her chastity, Elena was included in this army made up of reserves and knights who were dispensable from all the Orders of Knighthood in the kingdom.

While ride against the Sadorian cavalry, Elena nervously tightened the reins of her horse and the hilt of her sword. During these three years since she had joined an Order of Knights, the most she had done was participate in small extermination campaigns against weak monsters like goblins.

「Mother, I may soon come to meet you」

Resignation filled Elena's heart once she saw the first cavalry clashes about ten meters in front of her. Elena encountered an enemy knight and her body reacted instinctively, she raising its sword and pushing it against the enemy in a downward cut.

Beneath that iron helmet that exposed only part of the enemy's face, Elena saw a mocking smile on her enemy take shape as her sword descended on her.

「 Die! 」

Those words emerged from the lips of the enemy knight, Elena saw only a swift shadow that came and pierced her chest.

Elena was not even able to make her attack, the impact of the enemy knight's sword knocked her off her horse. That was no ordinary sword, an ordinary sword could not so easily pierce an iron armor, it was certainly a magic item, a magic sword.

As she collapsed to the ground, Elena felt as if time were slowing down to the point where it seemed to stop. The memories of her entire life filled her mind and pushed heavy tears down the edge of her eyes.

「Mother... I'm sorry... 」

Of all the things Elena might regret, what hurt her most was her inability to keep the promise she had made to her dying mother. Elena had promised to keep safe and be happy.

Just as Elena's body was about to hit the ground, time did come to a complete stop. Everything lost color and the world gray-tinted.

「 This is the death? 」

After several seconds of stunning, Elena finally came to her senses. Her body was suspended just six inches off the ground, and she was only able to move her eyes and lips.

「The death is only the start of a new beginning in the cycle of reincarnation of this world, but you are still several inches away from that destiny」

Elena was surprised to hear that imposing and emotionless voice, she moved her eyes as far as she could in search of an origin, but all she could see was the fierce battle around her frozen in time.

「 You cannot find me far from you, I sleep within you 」

If it had been possible, Elena would have felt her blood run cold when she realized that that voice was coming from her lips.

「 Who are you? Why are you inside me? 」

「 I am you, or at least the last vestige left by you countless lives ago, and I have awakened because the requirements for my activation have been met for a second time 」

To Elena's mind came many images that did not correspond with her memories. In those images, Elena saw someone else's memories.

Kaname, this strange name was the first thing that came to Elena's mind, the next thing was images of a different world, a world where science reigned and where magic only existed in games and fantasy books. In that world, a seventeen-year-old boy was leading a quiet life, with a great future ahead of him thanks to his good intellect, pleasant appearance, ease of speech and family connections, and who was also committed to a beautiful young woman he loved. However, that future was abruptly interrupted when that young man named Kaname was summoned into this world.

With the promise of sending him back to his world when he and his companions will defeat the demon king, Kaname gave himself fully to this task, making use of the great skills he gained from crossing the wall between the worlds.

After losing each of his companions during a bitter and grueling war against the demons, Kaname finally succeeded in defeat the demon king. However, in trying to enforce the promise he had been given, Kaname discovered that the only way to break through the wall between the worlds was through invocation. There was no way Kaname could return without someone from his world summoning him.

The worst came when those who had summoned Kaname to this world turned against him, those beings did not want to share this world with someone who could rival them in power. With no allies and being pursued by beings he could only face one at a time and not several of them, Kaname was forced into hiding.

Knowing that he would have no chance of victory and could not hide forever, Kaname used his skills and intellect to create a powerful spell that would allow him to take advantage of the cycle of reincarnation in this world. If he were to die, he would ensure that he would be able to awaken his memories in another lifetime.

The first thing Kaname did was to back up his memories within his DNA, which he then passed on in one form or another to a number his children. The second was to record the spell on his soul so that this was automatically activated in the future when his soul reincarnated in a body that carries his DNA and was on the verge of death. By leaving as many children as he could, Kaname made sure to raise the odds of this happening.

After finishing his arrangements, Kaname faced his destiny and although he was able to defeat two of those beings, he was finally defeated and died.

When those memories ended in Elena's mind, a new name emerged in her mind, Feris, the name of a Holy Knight who met the requirements for the activation of the spell, but who refused to accept Kaname and chose to die.

「 He chose to die? 」

「Feris was a blind devotee of those traitors, those whom the inhabitants of this world call gods 」

Elena was surprised, that a holy knight named Feris had chosen to die rather than go against his beliefs?

「 What about you? Will you also choose to die rather than accept the legacy? 」

「 Will, I escape death? 」

Of all the doubts Elena harbored, that was the first to emerge from her lips.

「 Part of the spell is meant to completely restore your health once you agree to have it activated. As for the price, you don't have to worry about disappearing, all that will happen is that the knowledge and memories of the past will completely awaken in your mind. This may cause some slight changes in your personality, but essentially you will still be you. Feris chose to die rather than accept what he called a spell created by a heretic 」

Although that voice could omit the last part of the information to encourage her to accept, Elena was surprised that it didn't, was the voice being honest?

「 I... I should fight them? 」

「 Revenge? I'll make it clear, I'm not Kaname, I'm just part of the spell, I can't make decisions for you. What you do with what you get is entirely up to you 」

Somehow Elena understood that, the voice was simply part of the spell created by Kaname, as for Kaname, she was Kaname, or at least she was once in the past.

「 Even if I accept, I will die again...」

Elena was in the middle of a battlefield, and even if she managed to survive her current fatal wound, she had little chance of surviving the rest of the fierce battle.

「 The spell will not only awaken your memories, but it will also awaken the legacy hidden in your blood, a fraction of the skills acquired by crossing the wall between the worlds. Similarly, you will acquire the skills of Feris and only the memories necessary to use them 」

「 Won't I get Feris memories? 」

「 The spell was designed in such a way that it will only take and engrave in the blood the useful knowledge of those who refuse to accept it, not their memories 」

For Elena it made sense, bequeathing the memories of those who refused to accept could be extremely problematic.

「 What's your decision? 」

To Elena's mind came the promise she made to her mother, as well as all the difficulties she had encountered in her life.

「 I agree to activate the spell and obtain the legacy 」

From the few memories Elena could see of Kaname, she understood that this person was extremely powerful, powerful enough to have succeeded in killing two gods. In that case, why would she be foolish enough not to accept such power?

「 Understood... Initiating legacy process...」

Elena's mind became a blank canvas.

「 Unlocking memories... 」

The blank canvas began to be filled with the memories of another life, the memories of Kaname.

「 Unlocking DNA legacy...」

Elena felt her blood begin to boil, and slowly that immense heat spread to every corner of her body.

89