Chapter 255: A Surprising Reveal!
1.3k 4 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Comment/Review on the story readers and give me ideas on possible xianxia things you want to see! No guarantees that I will add what you want. But it helps to have ideas out there. Please point out any mistakes you notice or anything you're not clear about. I'll try to answer them and fix them to the best of my abilities.


  The final portion of the Grand Tournament was structured in a way that Jing did not expect at all. This made her wonder just what made the elders decide on something like this... A wicked sect like this choosing to focus on teamwork, cooperation, and all that junk? Isn’t that more of a righteous sect thing? Well, according to stereotypes anyway. Out of Jing’s 10,000 lives, both righteous and wicked sects weren’t all that different. Good and Evil were just two sides of the same coin, it just depended on with whose eyes you were looking at which side. 

“Each match will be done in teams of three!” The Supreme Commander explained. “You will not be judged on your individual strength, talent, or how quickly you defeat the other side. What we will judge is how well you collaborate with your randomly chosen partners, how efficiently you pool together your strengths and cover up for each other weaknesses, and how badly you utterly fail at the first two.”  

  These instructions were met with mass confusion and discontent. Those that made it this far in the Grand Tournament could be said to be some of the best disciples in the Golden Serpent Sect. The fact that they as individuals had to force themselves into looking good by working with strangers pricked them the wrong way. Why should geniuses like them work with others when they’ve done well enough on their own so far? 

  Of course, not everyone thought like this. Some of those that felt lucky to have made it to the finale at all were ecstatic about this news. It gave them a second chance that they never would’ve had if this was structured like the previous Grand Tournament finales. All they had to do was work with others, their own strength wasn’t important! In that one-on-one fight, till one side surrendered, they only had one chance to show off their talents to the elders. If they were up against someone superior to them, they could only hope they lasted long enough to appeal to at least one elder. In a situation like that, it was basically impossible to showcase any valuable parts of themselves because the elders would definitely look at the winner to take as their apprentice over the loser. 

“You cannot kill. You cannot cripple. You cannot fight your teammates.” Supreme Commander listed some of the do-not's. “You can extend the fight to outside the stage due to the increased number of disciples fighting...” And then listed some of the can-do’s. 

  Like before, this new information was met with a split crowd. Some were happy about it while others were upset. Those that were against it felt that it was different from the norm! No one could have expected such a drastic change. Tradition was meant to be kept the same throughout time, right? Why the hell were things changing now?! 

  Those that were for it were happy about such changes. Now they truly could show everything they had without fearing being killed or crippled by their opponents! Even if they were stronger than them, so what!? This is a team fight, not a fight where your stupidly strong self can stomp over everyone and be praised for it! All they had to do was make sure they did whatever they could to work together with their partners. 

“Now that you all know what’s in store. Let’s get this started already.” The Supreme Commander nodded towards the Head Elders. 

  Elder Ru, Elder Mo, Elder Chang, and Elder Zhong flew to each section of the area. Only the first three were official Head Elders but Elder Zhong went along with them despite not being a Head Elder himself because he neared those three in strength. Jing gave a bright smile when she saw Elder Zhong flying over to her group. She saw that his lips momentarily twitched at the sight of it. 

‘She knows...’ Elder Zhong thought to himself. 

  Elder Zhong was the master of Xun Liuxian and Jig. One of which got her temporarily killed and the other that sent her to her death through withholding valuable information. Jing was sure that Elder Zhong was aware of her involvement in the disappearance of these two disciples of his. Because of this, he held a petty grudge against her as if she was responsible for the death of his disciples.  

‘Annoying old cowardly bastard. If you didn’t want your disciples to die an early death, you should’ve taught them better.’ Jing cursed. 

“Take it.” He stood over her holding a talisman in his hand. 

“...” Jing snatched it without showing any respect for the pathetic old man. Imagine, taking your petty anger out on someone, not even half your own age. 

“...” Elder Zhong smiled at this action of hers but Jing wasn’t an idiot. She could see the malice hiding behind that smile as he moved on to the next Qi Consolidator. 

  There were several reasons for Jing to not be afraid of someone as powerful as Elder Zhong. While she couldn’t sense his realm since she was so far below him, in her other lives she had encounters with Elder Zhong. He was at the Mortality Ascension Realm. A useful powerhouse that any sect would want to wrap their hands around. In those other lives, she didn’t come at odds with him like in this one. He taught powerful disciples and manipulated them for his own benefit. Elder Zhong used them for more political influence within the sect and outside the sect.  

  But someone like this who had to rely on schemes and tricks could never win against an old soul like herself. She’s competed with the best of the best in her past lives and was forced to adapt or die and start over from the beginning. Whether it was politics, war, chess, or fighting, Jing would claim that she had few that could compete with her. Those few that could, were to be eliminated as soon as she had the chance or recruited to her side. What would be the point of recognizing talents if you weren’t going to use them to your own benefit? 

  After all the talismans were given to each group of disciples, the final portion of the Grand Tournament finally began. Each talisman had a number written on it in spiritual ink. This number would tell you the order in which you were to go up on stage and battle. For instance, Jing’s number was 879. With a quick headcount of the other Qi Consolidators around her, she could tell that she was going to be the very last to go up. Whether this was purposely done or just coincidental, she could not tell. 

  Regardless, she was going to be waiting for a while to go up. So, she decided to make herself comfortable. SCP-109's cap loosened as she made herself a large throne of water to watch the upcoming matches. Since she’s been infusing SCP-109's infinite supply of water with her qi, it began to take traits of her own qi. Through this, she could manipulate the never-ending supply of water of SCP-109 with her auxiliary art, Idliragijenget’s Blessing despite not creating the water on her own. Since Neptune's Prophet only allows her to manipulate water created through her qi. 

  It was a fascinating discovery for Jing. She didn’t realize if you soaked an object with qi for a long period of time, it would begin to take on special traits. At least, at the time it was. Jing thoroughly explored the origins and inner workings of spiritual objects and tools during her 10,000 lives. She could create them naturally with the help of the heavens, develop man-made ones, tear them apart piece by piece, and teach others these methods. But many spirit tools were nothing in comparison to the power of SCP-914. It was just peerlessly efficient when a majority of the random factor of refining an object was eliminated. 

“Looks like you’re going to be waiting a while, Jing.” Ying grinned after taking a peek at her talisman. 

“Looks like it.” Jing replied back. 

“Any advice?” Wan asked. 

“This is a lot easier than many people are making it out to be.” Jing could hear many complaints and such with her refined ears. “Communicate with your teammates, share what you believe is your strong suit and a single weakness, and think of ways that you can combine your skills and strengths.” She told her angels. “You don’t even have to be strong or talented to win. All you have to do is show you know how to work with others and use your combined strengths and abilities to their greatest extent. 

  Ying, Wan Qing, Shang, and the rest listened carefully. Listening to Jing’s advice was always valuable. She was also their leader and someone who seemed older than she looked. None of Heaven’s Angels managed to pair up with one another. All of their numbers were distanced greatly. Ying in the 100s. Wan Qing in the 300s. Shang in the 700s. Because of this, Jing started to think that her group’s talismans were specifically picked out. There was no evidence but Jing trusted her instincts. 

“Doing your own thing and ignoring your chosen teammates is not recommended unless you want to fail.” Jing warned no one in particular but both Ying and Wan Qing felt like those words were for them specifically. 

“Now that you told me how to pass, this’ll be easy!” Ying straightened her back with confidence. Her demonic giant sword basking in the sun’s rays. 

“I believe it won’t be that hard as long as my teammates listen.” Wan Qing was worried she’d have to babysit some fools. She could fail if she was teamed up with some idiots. 

“You have to appeal to people. Don’t forget, everyone wants to pass.” Jing advised. 

“I will remember...” Wan Qing nodded. 

“I hope you lose.” Li Li sat on Jing’s lap staring at Shang. 

“Thanks.” Shang gave a small nod to the boy. He’d have to work extra hard to make sure he didn’t lose now. 

“I wasn’t saying something nice! Don’t thank me! I really do hope you lose!” Li Li clarified due to the confusing statement. 

“I’ll do my best to make sure I don’t lose now thanks to you, Li Li. Thank you for the encouragement.” Shang balled up his fist in a look of great confidence now. 

“No! I didn’t- I wasn’t! You! I hope we meet and I'll get to beat you up!” Li Li angrily shook his fist at Shang. 

“I hope we’re on the same team as well, Li Li.” Shang misconstrued the young boy’s words on purpose. 

“No! That’s not what I said. I said-”  

  The two of them continued their back and forth. One taking great enjoyment out of it and the other getting increasingly mad about it. 

59