Ch.18: The First Day – 1
2.5k 19 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mira, wake up! Mira!”

Almira wakes up to Susan telling her to get up.

“Good morning.”

She says, as she sits up while wiping the gound out of her eyes. She turns to look at Susan and sees Susan’s face slowly turning redder.

“Why are you not wearing clothes!?”

Susan shouts with a red face, as she sees the blanket falling off of Almira, revealing Almira’s naked body underneath.

“But it’s more comfortable like this?”

Almira answers while tilting her head, as she doesn’t see what the problem is. She always sleeps naked at home, so why should she do any different when in Hogwarts.

“We don't have time for this. We have to hurry if we want to have enough time to eat breakfast before the first class!”

Susan recovers quickly and remembers why she was pulling Almira out of her bed.

“Where are Hannah and Megan?”

Almira asks as she gets out of her bed and starts putting on her uniform.

“They went ahead of us. Now hurry up, I’ll help you with your hair.”

Almira’s hair could be described as an unruly mane of red, which is why she usually leaves it free or keeps it in a ponytail, but in the time it took for Almira to get dressed, Susan had somehow gotten her hair into two French-plaits, coming over her shoulders on both sides.

“Um, Mira. Before we go, could you perhaps?”

“Sure! Scourgify!”

Almira happily casts the cleaning charm on both Susan and herself.

With Almira teaching them long into the night, her three roommates learned to cast the cleaning charm, but they are still far from being able to use it on anything else than making their clothes clean.

“Let’s go!”

Almira says, and they both head towards the Great Hall to eat breakfast before their morning class.

When they walk into the Great Hall, they see Hannah and Megan already eating at the Hufflepuff’s table. Megan was eating silently, and Hannah was talking with a blondish haired, stout-looking boy.

“Morning!”

Almira yelled as she joined them in the table, with Susan sitting down next to her.

“Morning.”

Megan says, with hardly any change in her expression.

“Morning Almira, you sure took your sweet time.”

Hannah tries to tease Almira, but is stumped as the only thing Almira does is say:

“Yeah!”

with a wide smile on her face, before starting to eat her breakfast.

Not getting the expected reaction from Almira, Hannah turns towards Susan and says:

“Morning Susan.”

“Morning Hannah, who’s this?”

Susan says back, while gesturing towards the boy with her eyes.

“Oh right, this is Ernest Macmillan, he’s the same year as us. Ernest, meet Susan Bones and Almira Marlson.”

Hannah introduced the boy, who then rose up and pompously said:

“Ernest Macmillan of the Macmillan family. Nice to make your acquaintance.”

Ernest lifted his hand offering a handshake, which Susan took and said:

“Susan Bones, nice to meet you.”

Ernest then turned his hand towards Almira, who also too it and said:

“Almira!”

Ernest tried to take his hand back but was surprised as he couldn’t bring his hand out of Almira’s clasp and could only wait for Almira to let go.

“So, what do we have for our first class?”

Susan asked, not having had time to look at their schedule yet.

“Transfiguration.”

Megan answers.

“Yeah, we have double transfiguration with Professor McGonagall in the morning, potions with Professor Snape and charms with Professor Flitwick in the afternoon, and then we’ll have free time before midnight as that’s when we’ll have astronomy with Professor Sinistra.”

Hannah explained their schedule for the day.

“Transfiguration!”

Almira is over the moon hearing their first two classes are going to be about one of her favorite subjects.

“Oh yeah, you mentioned that your mother taught you transfiguration magic.”

Susan says, remembering their conversation about their lives before coming to Hogwarts.

“Yeah! It’s super fun!”

Almira said with a bright smile on her face.

“Well then, we better eat fast so that we’ll be on time to the class.”

Susan says and they finish their breakfast before heading towards Class 1 on the first floor.

When they step into the classroom they see other students already sitting on their seats, but no teacher anywhere. Looking around, Almira spots a cat sitting on the teacher’s table and shouts:

“Morning Professor!”

The other students look towards the door to see if the teacher arrived, but get confused as they only see Almira smiling towards the cat on the table. This confusion lasts for a while, until the cat jumps off the table and transforms into Professor McGonagall midflight.

“Morning Ms. Marlson, just on time. Would you tell how you knew?”

She says with a stern voice.

“You have glasses!”

Almira answers with a proud smile on her face, leaving the other students puzzled at how the Professor having glasses had anything to do with her turning into a cat.

“Very good, 5 points to Hufflepuff. Now take a seat and we’ll begin the class.”

They all sit down close to each other and Professor McGonagall starts speaking:

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts. Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

After saying that, she took out her wand and waved it at her desk, changing it into a living pig.

“”Woah!””

All of the students were impressed at this and McGonagall changed the pig back to a desk before continuing:

“To start with, write down everything you see on the blackboard.”

With another wave of her wand the previously empty blackboard was filled with complicated notes, and the students calmed down as they realized they weren’t going to change desks into pigs anytime soon.

79