Ch.20: Flying-lesson
2.7k 37 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Tuesday morning they had Defense Against Dark Arts, or D.A.D.A, with Professor Quirrell, who was a young man with pale skin and a turban on his head. This lesson, however, also ended in disappointment, as they could hardly understand what the Professor was saying with him stuttering on every word.

Next class they had was History of Magic with Professor Binns. He was an ancient and shriveled ghost, who looked almost like a tortoise when he pursed his lips. His voice seemed to have some magical powers, as it didn’t take even five minutes for Almira to fall asleep while listening to him talking with his wheezy, droning voice.

“Mira, it’s time to wake up.”

After the lesson, Susan tries to softly nudge Almira awake.

“Hehehe, you won’t get away from me this time Mr. Rabbit.”

Almira mumbles with a smile on her sleeping face.

“Mira!”

Susan tries again, with a slightly louder voice.

“Mm?”

Almira slowly opens her eyes and looks around, finding everyone moving out of the class.

“It’s over?”

She asks, while rubbing her sleepy eyes.

“Yeah, it’s over. Good too, as I was minutes away from falling asleep.”

Hannah says, with a tired look on her face, before continuing:

“I swear, half of the class was sleeping by the end of the lesson.”

They pack their books and go to Great Hall to eat lunch.

In the afternoon they first had herbology together with the Gryffindors. The class was held in the greenhouses behind the castle, and they were taught by Professor Sprouts, the head of the Hufflepuffs. She was a kind, old squat little witch with short, grey, wavy hair. She had a patched and battered hat on her head, and her clothes were covered in dirt.

This was also the first time Almira saw Hermione after the sorting, but she didn’t have time to talk with her, as Professor Sprout spent the lesson by telling them why herbology was an important part of their studies and what they are going to learn during their first year.

After the lesson, they headed to Professor Flitwick’s charms-class, which they once again spent writing down the essentials of spellcasting. After this class however, they were excited as the next class would be the flying-lesson together with the Ravenclaws, taught by Madam Hooch.

They walked to the castle grounds located next to the Forbidden Forest and found the Ravenclaws already there, with twenty brooms in two neat lines on the lawn.

“Alright, that’s everyone. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone pick a broom and stand on its left. Come on, hurry up!”

Madam Hooch barked as she saw that everyone was accounted for. She was a small woman with short spiky grey hair, piercing yellow eyes resembling ones of a hawk, and flying goggles on her forehead.

They all did as Madam Hooch asked, and she nodded before continuing:

“Stick out your right hand over the broom and say ‘Up!’”

Almira was excited on learning to fly, and did as Madam Hooch instructed.

“Up!”

Hearing her command, the broom immediately jumped from the ground to her hand. It didn’t stop there however, as it shot upwards, pulling Almira into the skies with it.

“Get down girl!”

Madam Hooch yelled seeing Almira take into the skies, to which Almira could only answer:

“We didn’t get to that part yet teacher!”

She shouted her answer while hanging from her broom with one hand. She brought her other arm up to take a grip of the broom with both hands, before swinging herself over the broom, letting go with her left hand and turning mid-swing, finally bringing herself to sit sidesaddle on the broom. She looked down and found herself almost fifty meters of the ground, with both the teacher and the students looking at her mouth agape.

“Teacher! What do I do now?”

She shouted while swinging her legs and smiling brightly.

Madam Hooch was stupefied for a moment by Almira’s acrobatic way of getting on top of the broom, but got a hold of herself when she heard Almira’s question.

“Bring the broom down by learning forward slightly while also keeping your back straight!”

She shouted the instructions, to which Almira complied, and slowly brought herself back to the ground. As she touched the ground, she was surrounded by her three friends.

“Mira! Are you okay?”

Susan asks worriedly.

“Yeah! That was fun!”

Almira says with a bright smile on her face, allowing her friends to sigh in relief.

“Well, you certainly seem fine. Okay, boys and girls, let’s continue the lesson! Come on!”

Madam Hooch gave Almira a onceover, before barking the other students to continue commanding their brooms to their hands.

After most of the students managed to get their brooms to their hands, Madam Hooch commanded the rest to just pick the brooms up, so that they could move onto the next part.

“Everyone with pants, mount the broom with the broom between your legs! Everyone with skirts, mount the broom sidesaddle!”

Next, she showed them how to mount the brooms without sliding of the other end, and went around fixing their grips.

With everyone now mounting their brooms correctly, Madam Hooch said:

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle, three, two, one!”

At her whistle, they all jumped. Some managed to fly up a few feet before coming down, while others just jumped on their place.

“Well, what are you standing there for? Again!”

Madam Hooch barked, and they continued this practice until everyone could at least stop in the air before falling down.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note:

Just interested to know what you think Mira's sexuality should be. I'm not promising the result will change anything, and even if it does, there will be quite a while until romance comes into the story, if it comes at all.

Mira's sexuality
  • GXG Votes: 253 55.1%
  • GXM Votes: 58 12.6%
  • Doesn't matter Votes: 148 32.2%
Total voters: 459
77