Ch.27: The roar
2.7k 30 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the start of the week after Almira’s meeting with Norberta, the whole school heard how Harry Potter and his friends had somehow managed to lose a grand total of one hundred and fifty house-points, dropping the Gryffindor from the first place all the way to the last. Almira had tried to ask Hermione what had happened during one of the herbology-lessons they had together with the Gryffindors, but she didn’t want to talk about it, so Almira let it be.

The month after flew by fast as the whole school prepared for the end-term exams, and even Almira had her hands full with all homework the teachers were giving them. She didn’t know how knowing the year when Warlock Jarleth Hobart fell naked in front of a huge crowd or the reason this happened would help her in her life in any way, but if it was in the book it was better to know it than not.

When the day of the exams came, they were all taken into a huge classroom where they were all given special, new quills for the exams, which were enchanted so that if they tried to do anything considered cheating, it would color their exam-papers red. The classroom was sweltering hot and they had to do three of their four written exams, those being: Defense Against Dark Arts, Herbology and Astrology, before lunch.

After lunch they had practical exams, with Professor Flitwick’s one being Almira’s favorite as they had to try and make a pineapple tapdance across a desk. The others being Professor McGonagall’s, where they had to turn a mouse into a snuffbox and got points depending on how pretty the snuffbox was, and Professor Snape’s, where they had to make a forgetfulness potion. Almira almost giggled when she heard Snape announced the potion they had to brew but managed to keep it in while wondering why others say that Professor Snape has no sense of humor.

The exam to finish their day was the History of Magic, the fourth, and final, of their written exams. One hour of answering questions about batty old wizards who'd invented selfstirring cauldrons and they'd be free, free for a whole wonderful week until their exam results came out. When the ghost of Professor Binns told them to put down their quills and roll up their parchment the whole class cheered, with even the usually serious Slytherins joining in with a few louder than normal humphs.

Even though it was already past the time Hagrid normally feeds Fluffy, Almira said to her friends that she’s going to see if he’d still be there, before making her way towards Fluffy’s corridor with a smile on her face, but when she got there, who she found was not Hagrid as she had thought, but Professor Quirrel.

“Hi Professor!” Almira says and sees Professor Quirrel visibly stiffen upon hearing her.

“M-m-miss M-m-marlson, w-what are y-you doing h-here. T-this a-area is o-off l-limits for st-students.” He stutters as he turns to look at Almira.

Almira feels that there’s something wrong with Professor Quirrel as there’s this peculiar coldness in his eyes but dismisses it as he’s a teacher under the employ of the world’s most powerful wizard. There’s no way he would have been able to get the spot if there was any indication of him bringing harm to a student.

“I’m looking for Hagrid. He usually comes somewhere here at this time.” She says while looking around as if the hallway had a space big enough to hide the giant of a man.

Suddenly Almira hears a hissing voice that sounds like someone used a whole lungful of air for every word said. “Get rid of the pest.”

Almira turns towards the source of the voice, but finds only Professor Quirrel, who’s taking his wand out of his sleeve.

“Professor?” Almira asks as a feeling of dread tells her to run.

“Yes, master.” Quirrel says as he brandishes his wand towards Almira. She tries to jump aside, but hears the words “Avada kedavra!” from behind her and sees a green flash from the corner of her eye. Almira gets flung hard into the corridor’s wall and falls to the floor, unmoving.

Quirrel waves his wand again to have Almira’s body float towards him, before putting his hand inside his robes and bringing out a harp that starts to play by itself. He opens the door to the corridor, inside which Fluffy guards the trapdoor, and flings Almira inside. Almira’s body bounces across the floor and comes to a stop next to one of Fluffy’s heads.

After making sure that the three-headed dog truly is asleep, Quirrel steps into the corridor and walks to the trapdoor, putting the harp onto the floor, before disappearing under the castle.

For a moment the only sounds inside the room are the music from the harp and Fluffy’s snores, but then.

*badum*

*Badum*

.

.

.

*ROOAAAAAR*

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's ramblings:

So yeah, been a while since I last posted.

After the last chapter I realized I have no idea on what I want the end of this story to be like and as such, what kind of decisions do I make concerning events that have longlasting effects on the happenings in HP. I still don't. BUT, I decided that I want to finnish atleast the first year-arc and will see after that what happens.

I've been planning a novel that's not a fanfic (a few actually), so I would have a lot more freedom, but would also mean no crutch to lean on. The biggest difference being that I have the ending planned from the start, so that I have a clear point to reach.

87