Chapter 59: Tamashiro Naofumi and The Original Past [2]
229 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*note before reading* 

Spoiler

span> 

This event happened after the battle in Altus, you can refresh your mind by reading chapter 25, if you are lost, but this happened right after that chapter BUT IN ANOTHER TIMELINE. 

I hope you won't get confused or something. 

[collapse]

 

Tamashiro Naofumi POV 

  

  

  

  

 

  

  

3 years from now, Mizusawa Kazue will die. 

She will die because of the stupidity of the people who she calls friends. 

She did not have died if it was not for them. 

She would not have died if we had the power to help her. 

She would not have died if we tried harder. 

She would not have died if we were just a little bit more competent. 

It was our fault. 

  

  

********* 

  

  

I woke up. 

Wondering about my current state, I saw an unfamiliar ceiling. 

“what happened.” <Naofumi> 

I asked myself a probing question. 

When I was trying to remember what happened, I found myself lying comfortably in a bed. 

I tried to sit up on the bed before I continue to try and remember the reason, I was in an unfamiliar bed. 

I scratched my head as I tried my best to remember what happened. 

  

  

Instantly, Flashes of memories flowed into my head. 

“Ah… so… I got my ass kicked huh…” <Naofumi> 

The last thing I remember was when I got defeated by the monster Mizusawa Kazue was fighting. 

When I remembered this, I felt bad. 

Although I wanted to act tough I ended up like that. 

For once I wanted to act like a hero, it was a simple dream of mine and so I tried to act cool. 

I got ahead of myself just because I managed to become stronger after coming to this world. 

  

  

Since I have a stronger body than that what I have in our world. 

I am now able to defeat monsters that I could only dream about back in our world. 

I felt that everything was under my control. 

I thought that I became special and invincible. 

But after that experience, my eyes were opened and I understood that it was all my illusion. 

The reality was that I am still the same old me. 

The me who is weak and unremarkable. 

  

  

I vigorously scratched my head out of frustration and embarrassment. 

“How can I face Kazue-san now…” <Naofumi> 

My eyes opened wide, forgetting about the fact that I'd forgotten something more important. 

[Is Kazue alright? I was unable to help her defeat the monster.] 

The worst idea came to me. 

I imagined the image of Kazue being killed by the undead monster. 

The image of her becoming a zombie. 

I forcefully cut off that idea and hoped that she was OK. 

  

  

It was not the time for me to feel bad. 

I needed to know if she was alright. 

[I hope Kazue managed to defeat the monster. If not, I hope someone was able to help Kazue-san.] 

“I need to know if she’s ok.” <Naofumi> 

I declared with a straight face. 

  

  

I quickly stood up from the bed and started looking for Kazue-san. 

I looked around and found myself in the guild building’s room that is used for the injured. 

Other people in that room were also injured during the big fight with the undead. 

The first thing I did was check the faces of the patients in the guild. 

[I hope she’s not gravely injured.] 

  

  

When I confirmed that she was not in the same room I exit the room. 

But as I was desperate to find her, it appeared that I don’t have to look for her that far. 

The moment I got out I immediately saw her in the guild’s dining area. 

Mizusawa Kazue was talking with her best friend, Sakata Chiho. 

It did not need one to be a genius to see that she was getting scolded by the gorgeous Chiho. 

  

  

I felt relief seeing that Kazue was fine. 

Although I saw that she was covered in bandages from all the wounds and bruises she received from that fight. 

Seeing those injuries, I felt bad and I was unable to face her. 

At the same time, I could not push myself to face her and apologize. 

I feel so bad, I am embarrassed to even look at her face. 

Memories of that incident flashed in my mind and only made me want to apologize to her. 

Despite that, I could not push myself to say “I’m sorry”. 

I took a step back and turned toward the exit. 

Without saying a word, I got out of the guild making sure that she would not notice me leaving the guild. 

  

  

I exit the guild sneakily without bothering anyone. 

“You’re not going to talk to her?” <Girl> 

A voice suddenly called out for me. 

I did not even notice that someone was there until she started talking. 

From the way she looks at me, it seems that she had been eying me from the moment I was sneakily exiting the guild building. 

  

  

A short-haired girl with bangs covering her eyes called out to me. 

She wore cool-looking clothes that immediately gave the impression of an “Assassin”. 

I knew this girl and I’d seen her a lot of times before. 

Her name was Ota Rio. 

  

  

In my memories, Ota Rio was one of Mizusawa Kazue’s closest friends in school. 

As far as I know, the only person Ota Rio was on good terms with was Kazue. 

Looking at her, the impression you would think about her was that she was a loner, shy, silent, Otaku girl. 

You could often see her playing with her phone in class during breaks without talking to anyone. 

She would even laugh by herself without any reason, to be frank, it looked very creepy. 

You can often see her talking to Mizusawa Kazue or see her being alone in the corner of the classroom. 

  

  

I once tried to start a conversation with her before. 

After all, there are not too many girls in the class who appeared to be interested in anime and games. 

It was quite known that Sakata Chiho and Mizusawa Kazue are those girls who talk about those things. 

Although boys with similar interests would love to talk to them on such topics, no one was brave enough to talk to them. 

Kazue looked too intimidating. 

Chiho is too much of a beauty. 

Rio on the other hand looked gloomy and unsociable. 

  

  

Otakus are generally too shy to even try to talk to people similar to Sakata Chiho face to face, It would render them unable to speak. 

As a person who plays games and watches anime at a pass time, I feel that I would love to be on good terms with people who have the same interest. 

Rio was one of those people. 

But… for some reason, I could never get close to her. 

I tried to start some conversations with her before but I was not able to because she rarely answers back. 

Every time I tried to talk to her, she would not even reply, no it’s like she did not even listen to anything I said. 

  

  

So… 

“Rio-san…” <Naofumi> 

I was surprised that Rio started a chat with me. 

We barely even spoke to each other before. 

“Are you not going to talk to Kazue?” <Rio> 

She asked again. 

  

  

“I…” <Naofumi> 

I am too ashamed to talk to her.  

I could not help her and all I’ve done has become a laughingstock.  

I could not even buy her a few seconds and got defeated in just 1 hit.  

I think I even became her burden.  

There’s no way I can tell that to Rio, right? 

These are the things I thought as I remembered what happened during that time. 

  

  

Flashes of memories flowed through my mind. 

“I see…” <Rio> 

She said as if she understood me perfectly. 

“Yes?” <Naofumi> 

I crumpled my brows confused by her reaction. 

Then I remembered that Rio has a unique skill capable of reading minds. 

This means she had an idea of what I was thinking at the moment. 

Her words, “I see” mean that she has read my mind. 

When I grasped this fact, my eyes opened wide as I apprehended what just happened. 

[Ah… fu*k] 

  

  

“Hmpf… so you got defeated just like that… pftt… I get why you don’t want to talk to Kazue-chan, you were useless.” <Rio> 

My face flushed red; I knew at once that she was able to see what was on my mind. 

[This Rio, she’s changed after getting Isekai… WTF, she acts so high and mighty although she can’t even talk back in our world] 

I instinctively glared at the mind-reading girl. 

  

  

I do remember back when we were trying to stall the attention of one undead Knight. 

Rio’s attitude toward me was very different from the usual Rio I remember. 

It reminds me of those people who uncontrollably scream in front of a computer while playing some kind of adrenaline-inducing moment that would make them utter words from their mouths. 

They do this without them realizing that they have been screaming mean words. 

You can often find those people in computer café; they are the loud players who scream from time to time. 

They would act like barbarians to mock others or tell them what to do. 

Rio was just like that back then; she was so immersed in the fight that she forgot to hold back her thoughts. 

Her actions back then were very reminiscent of those people. 

  

  

Rio also realized this change in her character. 

Maybe since she already revealed that side of hers to me during the battle with the undead knight in the city. 

[I think that made it easier for her to start talking with me?] 

This might be her true self; behind that silent, shy, loner girl was this frank character. 

To be honest I think this version of her is better. 

Rather than the gloomy version of her, I like this frank and sharped mouthed girl more. 

  

  

-grumble- 

Out of nowhere my stomach grumbled and made a sound. 

I did not realize this because my mind was too occupied with too many things. 

Now, I could feel I was hungry. 

“Pftt, now you’re talking with your stomach too? Too bad I can’t read that with my mind reading… You’re really funny…” <Rio> 

I only became more of a laughing stock for Rio, not only did she know what I was thinking I even showed her this embarrassing state of mine. 

I turned around as I was too ashamed to even face Rio. 

[I haven’t eaten a thing… I’ve been asleep for 3 days, there’s no surprise I’m hungry…] 

  

. 

. 

. 

  

“Ughhh… I’m hungry, do you know a good place to eat, other than this one.” <Naofumi> 

I made a glance at Mizusawa Kazue and Sakata Chiho who were inside the guild’s dining area. 

I wanted to eat but there was no way I would join those two in there. 

“I know a place…” <Rio> 

I scratched my head and agreed. 

Rio said in her soft and reserved voice. 

  

  

Days passed... 

As I was mulling over whether I apologize to Kazue-san or not. 

In the end, I was not able to face Kazue and say my peace. 

I tried to apologize to her many times but I got cold feet and was too embarrassed. 

I was unable to say my peace to her and soon she left Altus with the Scale Atelier Caravan. 

  

  

“I will apologize to Kazue.” <Naofumi> 

“You said that like a million times already…” <Rio> 

I came to this conclusion after talking to Rio many times. 

For the past few days, I have been dragging Rio to talk with me. 

She seemed to be troubled by the fact that I kept on looking for her to only speak about my problems. 

Originally, I did not want to talk about my problems to anyone. 

After realizing that Ota Rio could read minds anyway, I decided to let out all of my remorse without any lie or censor. 

I did this to make myself feel better. 

  

  

All of a sudden Rio stood up from her chair and pulled me. 

“AHRGG, F*CK IT, COME WITH ME.” <Rio> 

“Eh?” where?” <Naofumi> 

“To the imperial capital, to Kazue, To apologize, so you can stop all these stupid talks.” <Rio> 

“Huh?!” <Naofumi> 

“LET’S GO! I wanted to see her again anyway.” <Rio> 

Ever since that day, my confidence was shattered and I could not push myself to continue my life as an adventurer. 

I don’t think I can, not until I apologized to that girl. 

Thanks to Rio’s encouragement, I finally decided to face Kazue and apologize. 

As for Rio, she simply wants to see her friend, Kazue. 

We left Altus and headed to the Imperial Capital to meet Kazue. 

  

  

When we arrived in the capital, we are surprised to discover that she has already left. 

We are a step too late. 

One of our classmates who was working in the adventurer’s guild told us that she was on her way to the country of Riles to meet the Saint. 

Kazue left the capital 4 days ago and traveled to the country of Riles to the country’s capital, Vestir. 

  

  

Since we had no plans, I and Rio ended up following after Kazue. 

I don’t even remember how it happened but the two of us ended up becoming a duo to chase after Kazue. 

And so, we took off and chased after her. 

Both Rio and I formed a temporary party. 

Rio the assassin and I the swordsman. 

  

  

We traveled for many days. 

“Where is she?!” <Naofumi> 

Days passed by but we are unable to meet up with Kazue. 

We are expecting to meet her after a week after we left the imperial capital. 

So many days had passed. 

Before we knew it, it had been a month since we started to travel together. 

Still unable to track and meet Kazue. 

  

  

One day. 

We heard about a rumor about some traveling adventurer who is gaining popularity. 

She was a female swordsman with familiars. 

A black-haired swordsman wearing odd-looking clothes and had wolves as her familiars. 

  

  

At a bar in the city called Luron. 

“Familiars…” <Rio> 

“Is there a problem?” <Naofumi> 

I asked Rio as she was troubled about hearing about a swordsman with familiars. 

“No, Kazue once told me that she had Blue-eyed wolves as pets during the time we partied in Altus. I was just thinking, if she brought with her those wolves, there’s a good possibility that she is that female Swordsman. After all, I’ve learned that being a female swordsman is rare.” <Rio> 

  

  

Rio stood up and asked about the girl with familiars. 

Rio suspected that that person must be Kazue. 

She knows for a fact that Kazue was traveling with her 3 pet wolves as stated by the female owner of the weapons and armor shop in the scale atelier. 

As for me, I was busy chugging down the foods I ordered, it had been a while since I managed to eat proper food. 

I was sick of eating unleavened bread or dried, salted, and smoked meats. 

  

  

I saw Rio talking to the guild’s receptionist and learned about the female swordsman. 

The guild receptionist seems to be very eager to talk about her. 

  

  

After listening to the guild’s receptionist 

Rio is now certain as she saw through the imagination of the female receptionist the face of Kazue. 

From the sound of it, she was still in the city. 

And so, we asked around but we could not find her. 

  

  

3 days passed and we still haven’t found Kazue in the city. 

It was as if her trails were cut off. 

We finally found the inn where she stays but according to the innkeeper, it seems that she left abruptly during the night 4 days ago. 

She was in a hurry as if running from something, as stated by the innkeeper. 

By using her mind-reading/clairvoyance skill Rio saw how scared she looked in the innkeeper’s memories. 

This made Rio worried about Mizusawa Kazue’s well-being. 

  

  

Naturally, it got me worried as well. 

“Kazue is not the type of girl to be afraid of something.” <Rio> 

“Really?” <Naofumi> 

“If she was running away from something, she must be running away from something really dangerous.” <Rio> 

“If that is the case, we must find her fast.” <Naofumi> 

“Yeah, we have to help her.” <Rio> 

Those were the trails of our thoughts and we desperately looked for her trails. 

Our imagination ran wild, speculating why would the strong and mighty Mizusawa Kazue react like that. 

  

  

We double-checked and searched the city but with no luck. 

She left in secret and did not want anyone to follow and find her. 

It only made it harder for us to trace her whereabouts. 

  

  

As far as we know, there’s no other swordsman in this world who has a unique familiar following her around. 

We only needed to ask around for a female adventurer traveling with wolves. 

By doing this, it would be easier for us to track her. 

We started to hear about her more often than not. 

It seems that she was making a name for herself as “the female adventurer traveling with wolf familiars”. 

She was gaining quite some reputation for herself. 

  

  

For some reason, she had been clearing quests here and there. 

She had been helping villages to subjugate monsters. 

As we traveled, we heard about her accolades. 

Helping villagers. 

Gathering herbs 

Hunting low-level monsters for food. 

Guarding the villages. 

Protection from bandits. 

Defeating strong monsters. 

And many other things that would only increase her reputation. 

  

  

We were amazed that she was doing this like a passing hero. 

Rio wondered and told me what she thinks. 

“Kazue is not the type who would purposely do quests.” <Rio> 

“Are you saying that the story about her heroics is false?” <Naofumi> 

“No, but maybe she’s doing this for some purpose.” <Rio> 

1(A/N: Yeah, she’s doing this for money reasons.) 

  

  

From our imaginative minds, we came up with a reasonable conclusion. 

We have deduced that the reason why we could not find Kazue was that she did not want to be found. 

With that in mind, we debated why Kazue would do those actions. 

  

  

“What do you mean?” <Naofumi> 

“If she is getting chased by someone and she is running away why would she do things that would purposely gain her attention? She must be doing this as a diversion.” <Rio> 

“… I, I see… I do get what you’re trying to say. But it can also be that there is another female swordsman who is traveling with wolves other than Kazue?” <Naofumi> 

“I don’t think that is the case here.” <Rio> 

“It can be a possibility…” <Naofumi> 

“I did, managed to peak at the minds of some people who personally met her.” <Rio> 

“And?” <Naofumi> 

“It was her…” <Rio> 

“…” <Naofumi> 

  

  

We were at a loss. 

Why is Kazue doing so many quests to increase her reputation? 

Does it have something to do with her running away? 

Is that it? Or maybe the reason is entirely something else? 

  

  

We continued to look for Kazue. 

We concluded, since Kazue was running away, there was no way we could find her if she was in the hiding. 

At least we knew something. 

We know where she was heading. 

She was heading to Riles. 

We don’t know the reason but we know that Mizusawa Kazue was heading to Riles. 

  

  

So instead of following her track and meeting her on the way, we decided to just head toward Riles as fast as we could. 

We just have to meet Kazue there. 

But where exactly in Riles was she headed? 

  

  

We passed through the country of Claren. 

We reached Riles after quite some time. 

We did make some detours. 

If we are up against opponents that could make someone as strong as Kazue flee, we knew that we needed to be stronger to be of help. 

So, as we traveled going to Riles, we took up the opportunity to get stronger. 

We took on quests and did our best to increase our overall abilities. 

We wanted to be at least as strong as Kazue was when we met her in Altus. 

We grind our level, we defeated monsters that is stronger than the monster we usually defeat to increase our abilities. 

At the same time, we are gathering information about Kazue’s whereabouts. 

According to the rumors, it seems that she was also somewhere in this country. 

  

  

As the result of our training and hard work in subjugating monsters. 

We raised our level, learned skills, and gain battle experience. 

Unexpectedly I and Rio became good partners in battle. 

We can now read each other’s actions without much problem. 

Rio knows my weakness and habits in battle. 

In the same way, I too knew Rio's battle habits and weaknesses.  

We tried to make up for each other’s shortcomings and overcome troubles that we could not overcome alone. 

I was thankful I was traveling with Rio; she was a reliable companion. 

Well, sometimes her sharp tongue still bothers me, but I think she’s not that bad of a person. 

  

  

Without realizing... 

It has been 4 months since we left the imperial capital.  

Time went by like a breeze. 

We now found ourselves in Vestir, the capital city of Riles. 

There we will be meeting with Kazue. 

 

 

10