Chapter 20: Panee’s Domain
6 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“HAAAAAALT!!! St-Stop right there!”

 

The team was blocked by 2 outlandish figures: beings with a human's body, but with a fish's features. Standing in front of the team were 2 Shokoys*.

 

Judging by the appearance of the Shokoys, it seemed like they were at a young age. 

 

The young Shokoys planted their webbed feet onto the sand, assuming a guarded stance. Using their scaly hands, they held their crystal tridents against the team. Their fin ears and the sails on their head bent backward as they let out a fierce snarl.

 

“Who - Who are you? Yo - You’re not allowed in here!” one of the Shokoy youngsters said. 

 

Despite acting so bravely, their eyes still couldn’t hide their fear. Their grip was loose and their stance was shaky. The 2 Shokoys were scared - they’re still youngsters after all.

 

“Aki, Urig, it’s me!” Calla said to the Shokoys.

 

“Ate Paglaom?” one of the Shokoys uttered as he looked at Calla’s face. “Ate Paglaom, you’re back!”

 

Quickly, the Shokoys dropped their weapons. They rushed to Calla, hugged her, and cried like the children they were.

 

“Ate Paglaom!! Huhu!” the young Shokoys whined.

 

“‘Paglaom’?” Triggs uttered in confusion.

 

“Mmm-hmm! That’s what they call me here. Lola Bonging gave me that name.” Calla explained. She asked the 2 Shokoys, “What are you doing here? Where is Kuya Batbat and Kuya Dakula?”

 

One of the Shokoys - the plumper one - answered Calla, “My father and Kuya Batbat are both sick. No one else is capable of guarding the entrance except us.”

 

One of the Shokoy youngsters inspected the wagon. “Is that Lady Isha?” 

 

“May I see? May I see?” the plump one followed. “Oh, it is Lady Isha!” he affirmed. “Lady Ishaaa! Lady Isha, it’s me, Urig! Can’t you hear me?”

 

“Hey, Urig can’t you see that she’s sleeping? Don’t wake her up,” the other youngster said to his friend.

Like an elder sister, Calla scolded Urig, “Urig… Isha is in a bad condition now. I think it’s better if you don’t disturb her.”.

 

“Sorry, Ate Paglaom,” Urig apologized.

 

With wariness, the other youngster took a glance at Triggs and the others. He pulled Calla’s robe and whispered, “Ate Paglaom, are they your friends?”

 

“Yes, Aki,” Calla answered.” Don’t be afraid, they are good people.”

 

Triggs let out a friendly smile. He waved his hand and greeted the Shokoy youngster, “Hellooo!”

 

“A-Are you here to help us?” Aki asked.

 

“Uh… Yes…”

 

The Shokoys were communicating in a very unique way; they spoke by producing a soothing hum that changed every time they conveyed their emotions.

 

Triggs was mystified. “Weird, I can still understand them even though they were not speaking like us.”

 

“It’s how Sirenas and Shokoys communicate,” Calla said. “They speak directly to your heart. People with corrupted hearts wouldn’t understand them.”

 

“Interesting…”

 

“Aki, Urig, what’s the status inside the Domain?” Calla asked the youngsters.

 

“Very bad, Ate Paglaom. Very bad!” Aki reported.

 

“How are the others?” 

 

Urig answered, “They’re also in bad condition. Many of them are becoming sick because the Relic is becoming unstable.”

 

“We really need to do something,” Aki urged.

 

After hearing the report,  Calla looked at her friends and nodded her head as if she was signaling something. 

 

Understanding wha Calla meant, Triggs and the others replied with a nod.

 

Immediately, they continued their move. They rushed further into the Domain.

 

After a few more meters, they finally made it to the end of the tunnel. Welcomed by a silvery glow of light and the sound of sloshing water, the team finally reached Panee’s Domain.

 

Observing using Triggs’ Point of View, the Domain looked like a massive chamber of a cave. Scattered in the ceiling were glowing stalactites of different sizes, almost resembling the stars in a dark sky.

 

What caught Triggs’ eyes the most was the enormous stalactite hanging in the middle of the ceiling. The massive stalactite emitted a very pristine glow - as majestic as the moonlight.

 

Where they were standing was a beach. The quality of the sand was identical to that in Matukad Beach. The beach was semi-elliptical in shape, and beyond the boundaries was vast oceanic water.

 

The oceanic water was connected to the 2 side streams in the tunnel; we could assume that the Lagoon outside was linked to this inner water. In the middle of the vast water was a very large swirling sphere of water - almost 100 feet in height.

 

Swimming around the ball of water are 2 Bangus. These Bangus were significantly larger than the rest of the previous ones; they were almost longer than Triggs himself.

 

Beyond the water, and encompassing the whole domain, was a bay of solid cave ground. The bay was decorated with diverse stalagmite formations, which also acted as protective fences for what appeared to be smaller caves on the Domain’s walls. 

 

If we were to compare the Domain to a baseball field from a bird’s eye view, the infield would be the beach, the outfield would be the water, the warning track would be the bay, and the fence would be the entire wall of the Domain. The water sphere would be located slightly below where the center fielders should be positioned.

 

Triggs’ mind was filled with wonder, his heart was brimming with amusement. 

 

“This place is huge. Could it be as spacious as the Philippine Arena*?” he pondered.

 

Walking closer and closer to the vast water, Triggs had a better vision of the Water Sphere. Although cloudy, it could still be observed that there was something inside the Sphere - a Relic -and the water was just swirling around it.

 

Calla noticed Triggs' curious gaze on the Relic. “That’s the Relic we were talking about. It’s what keeps the whole Domain running; if it stops, this place will be flooded with water,” she explained. “It operates on strong magic, and the Bangus are here to keep it clean all the time.”

 

“I see…” Triggs murmured.

 

“But there should be 4 Bangus here,” Calla uttered.

 

“They’re already dead,” Urig said in a sad tone. “The Relic is emitting large amounts of magic residues. The Bangus couldn’t handle it.

 

“And it won’t be long for these other Bangus to follow their dead friends,” Aki added.

 

Calla felt pity; she couldn’t just stand still. She removed her robe, took a few steps backward, sprinted forward, and dived into the water.

 

Triggs, Lae, and Zaine were surprised by the sudden action.

 

“Follow me to the other side!” Calla shouted as she swam across the water. She was heading to the bay. “Aki, Urig, please bring Isha with you!”

 

“Yes, Ate Paglaom!” the youngsters replied.

 

Without further ado, Lae and Triggs also removed their robes.

 

Lae went to the water and followed Calla.

 

Triggs was about to step into the water when he noticed something.

 

“Oh? What happened to you?” Triggs asked. Behind him was Zaine, standing frozen, staring at the water.

 

Seeing the anxiousness in Zaine’s eyes, Triggs found an opportunity to make fun of Zaine. 

 

“What’s the matter? Can’t swim?” Triggs teased.

 

“Tch!”

 

“I can help you if you want,” Triggs said with a mischievous smile. “You can use the wagon as a floater. I’ll help pull it.”

 

Zaine had to think thoroughly; saying yes meant accepting defeat, knowing Triggs was just teasing him. He was in a deep battle with himself. He didn’t know if he should lower his pride for Triggs.

 

“So… How will it be?” Triggs asked. Now, with a much devilish smile.

 

Slowly, a word started to come out of Zaine’s mouth. “Ok-k-k……”

 

“Don’t worry! We can do it!” Aki suddenly volunteered.

 

“Sure!” Zaine replied instantaneously, without even thinking any further.

 

“We will be the ones to pull the wagon. You can just hold on to it,” Urig said.

 

Zaine let out a big sigh of relief.

 

“Tch! You’re saved this time,” Triggs uttered as he leered at Zaine’s eyes.

 

They didn’t wait any longer, they also started swimming in the water.

 

As he swam, Triggs felt the noticeable difference between the inner water and the Lagoon; the water in the Domain felt much heavier than the previous. He assumed that it was probably because of the immense magic residue from the Relic.

 

Moments later, they finally reached the other side of the vast water. Just before they could rest and catch their breaths, they were surrounded by groups of Sirenas.

 

Triggs was astonished; the creatures he just heard from folklore, now swarming in front of his very eyes.

 

Just like what he heard, the Sirenas looked the way they were described in myths: human upper body, shiny fish tail lower body, and most distinctly, beautiful faces.

 

However, the Sirenas seemed anguished. The words in their hums overlapped as they pleaded for help.

 

“Paglaom! Thank goodness you’re back!”

 

“Paglaom! We need your help!”

 

“Paglaom! They are ill!”

 

“Paglaom! Will they be okay?”

 

“Paglaom! Paglaom! Paglaom!”

 

Calla was overwhelmed by the simultaneous lamentations.

 

“Guys! Guys! You need to calm down!” Calla with a worried voice. “How can we help you if we don’t know what’s happening?”

 

After that, the Sirenas finally calmed down.

 

One distinct Sirena, with beautiful orange hair and cat-like eyes, stepped forward.

 

“Paglaom, once again, please save us.”

 

 

 

 

 

-TERMINOLOGIES-

*Shokoys - (mermen) the male counterpart of the Sirenas. Unlike the Sirenas, the Shokoys have human feet, allowing them to walk on land. They have the facial features of a human, but their ears resemble that of a fish’s fin. They also have sails on their heads. Their fingers are webbed and sails also run along their forearms.

*Philippine Arena - largest indoor arena in the whole world. It can be found in Bocaue, Bulacan.

3