Chapter 24: Birds
4 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The discussion inside the Room of Majesty continued.

 

Triggs and Lae narrated everything: from when they stepped out of the portal, how the creature caught the Bang, and how it escaped.

 

“A giant bird? Preying on the Bangus? Hmm…” Ikos murmured after hearing the full story. “Lola Bonging, what can you say about this?”

 

“Mmm?? Did you say something?” Bonging replied with a puzzled face.

 

Ikos sighed. “As expected, she didn’t hear everything.” She had to repeat everything again for Bonging.

 

“Mmm… That bird must’ve got a tough stomach to feed on the Bangus,” Bonging’s comment.

 

The comment made sense to Calla. “Lola Bonging is right. If it is eating the Bangus, and it is still healthy right now, it means the creature is immune to the magical residue.”

 

“Well, is it possible that the creature is specifically targeting the Bangus?” Triggs speculated. “If it is only feeding on the Enchanted Bangus, could it be that it is after the magic residue itself?”

 

The speculation made the others think thoroughly.

 

Lae tried to connect everything that was said. 

 

“If it is feeding on the Bangus because of the magic residue, we could assume that the creature is also mystical. So, there’s a possibility that the bird is also responsible for the shockwaves.”

 

“Possible,” Ikos affirmed. “There are creatures that have such feats - giant birds, that can produce thunderous shockwaves. However, there are some problems with that idea.”

 

“What is it, Ate Ikos?” Calla asked.

 

“First, all of those creatures are already long extinct. Also, creatures like that are not native to the Philippines. Why would it suddenly appear in this area?”

 

“Ooh… You’re right…”

 

“Then what could it possibly be?” a Shokoy asked.

 

Sounds of mumblings and chattering filled the room; the Shokoys and Sirenas voiced their own speculations to one another.

 

“Ugh… All of this thinking makes my head hurt,” Calla sighed.

 

“Well, at least we already learned some useful information about the creature,” Triggs said. “I think it will be enough to come up with a strategy to capture it.”

 

“Oh? You already have a plan, Triggs?” Calla asked.

 

“Kinda? But, I still need your insights about it.”

 

“Just tell us what you are thinking, Triggs,” Lae said.

 

“Hmm… Okay.” After that, Triggs started proposing his idea.

 

 

Hours after the discussion inside the Majesty Room, when the chaos of the Sphere had already subsided, and the Inner Water seemed to be purified again, 2 new Bangus were already released to help balance the waters.

 

The 4 Bangus encircled the Water Sphere as happy Sirenas and Shokoys swam alongside them. Here and there, laughter and giggles could be heard as the Sirenas enjoyed the temporary serenity of the Domain.

 

Meanwhile, Triggs was seen ruminating at the shorelines of the Bay. Seemed like he was still deeply engrossed in the plan they discussed earlier.

 

His rumination was interrupted when suddenly,

 

SPLAAASH!!

 

Cold water splashed on his body, waking up his wandering mind.

 

The splash of water came from a commotion nearby; a feud between Shokoy youngsters.

 

Triggs went to check what was happening. There, he saw 3 Shokoy youngsters and one of them was Gamgam.

 

One of the Shokoy kids had a thin frame and he was holding a bird-shaped pendant. The other had a lazy eye, and he was much taller than the other. They were standing in the safety of the Bay, laughing at Gamgam.

 

Gamgam, on the other hand, was still in the water, leering at the 2 other youngsters with a snarling face.

 

“Hey! Give that back to me!!” Gamgam yelled.

 

“Come here and I’ll give it to you!” the thin Shokoy replied. He giggled.

 

“PILYO!! If you don’t give that to me, I’m gonna smack your face!” Gamgam threatened.

 

“Ooohh… Scary… What you gonna do, huh? What you gonna do?” Pilyo teased.

 

Gamgam was so furious that he got out of the water to catch his bullies. Having the lower body of a fish, it was expected that he couldn’t compete with the other 2 who have human feet.

 

“PILYOOO!!! UGAKOOON!!!” he yelled as he hobbled around like a seal.

 

Pilyo and Ugakon laughed hysterically as they made fun of the desperate Gamgam.

 

“*AHEM!*... What’s all the commotion about?” Triggs came in like a mature gentleman.

 

“Those two won’t give back my pendant!!” Gamgam uttered.

 

Triggs approached Pilyo and Ugakon. He was planning to lecture them. He breathed deeply and purposely deepened his voice to make himself look more mature.

 

“Kids… Do you know that bullying is bad? Didn’t your mothers tell you that?”

 

“I don’t know, my mother is already dead,” Pilyo replied.

 

Triggs didn’t expect the answer. But he tried not to lose his modesty.

 

“Hmm… Well, as your Kuya, I’m here to tell you that it’s bad to make fun of others,” Triggs lectured.

 

“But he’s weird,” Ugakon insisted.

 

“Hmm? Is that a good reason? Just because he’s different from you, you’re going to make fun of him?”

 

“No, seriously, he’s just weird. He kept saying weird things about my mom.”

 

Triggs was baffled. “What?”

 

“Yes! Gamgam bragged that he slept with my mom and the other Sirenas!”

 

Without losing his modesty, Triggs turned to Gamgam. “Is that true, Gamgam?”

 

“Of course, I’d slept with the other Sirenas! It’s because I was confined in the Med Bay, you idiots!” Gamgam defended himself. “You’re just spreading fake news to make me look bad!”

 

Pilyo and Ugakon laughed. They started mocking Gamgam again.

 

“Hey, Weirdo! Why are you the only Shokoy Kid sent to the Med Bay? Is it because you couldn’t get out of the water for too long?” Ugakon teased.

 

Gamgam then replied, “I don’t know!? Maybe because your Mom was so heavy that it took me an hour just to bring her to the Med Bay!!”

 

“Ooofff…” Triggs reacted.

 

Ugakon and Pilyo stared at him with a disappointed face.

 

Triggs cleared his throat. “I’m sorry… It’s just out of reflex…”

 

The argument between the kids continued.

 

“Whatever you say! I’m the fastest swimmer here! I was able to save those Sirenas because I am the only one who could do that fast!” Gamgam said to defend himself.

 

“And what are you outside the water?” Pilyo mocked. “You’re a Shokoy, not a Sirena! You’re supposed to be defending the Domain outside the water!!”

 

“Whatever you say, you’re still useless! And a Weirdo!” Ugakon added.

 

Gamgam was about to cry. “You’ll see… You’ll see…” he mumbled.

 

The bullies chuckled. “Are you saying something, Weirdo?”

 

“You’ll see… That Bird they were talking about, I’ll be the one to defeat it! I will be like Ate Paglaom! I’ll save this place too!” Gamgam blurted out.

 

Pilyo and Ugakon didn’t expect what Gamgam said. They stared at each other, and after that, they laughed their stomachs out.

 

“WAHAHAHA!!! Are you joking!? WHAT A WEIRDO!!!!”

 

“What you gonna do? SWIM IN THE AIR!? WAHAHAHA!!”

 

Triggs had enough. “Hey, seriously… stop this!” he uttered.

 

He was angered by the continuous bullying. “Geez! Is there a law for child abuse amongst the Sirenas? If these kids won’t stop, I’ll be the one to send them flying in the air.” he thought.

 

Fortunately, a familiar figure came to the scene.

 

“My, my… What’s happening here?”

 

“Tita Hamis! They got my pendant!”

 

Hamis looked at the bullies with a disappointed face. 

 

“Children, what did I tell you about making fun of Gamgam?” she scolded the bullies without losing her sweet voice.

 

Out of shame, Ugakon and Pilyo couldn’t look straight to the Sirena.

 

“Now, please give him back his pendant,” Hamis ordered.

 

Against his will, Pilyo returned the pendant to Gamgam.

 

Gamgam left with a teary eye after receiving his item back. He dove back into the water.

 

Hamis continued scolding the 2 bullies.

 

“Does it make you feel better to make fun of someone different from you?”

 

“N… N-No…” Pilyo stuttered.

 

“I expect you to apologize to Gamgam before the next sunset. Are we clear about this?”

 

“Ye… Yes po…”

 

“Now, please continue doing your chores.”

 

“Okay po…”

 

With their heads bowed, Pilyo and Ugakon left the scene.

 

“Thank goodness you came, Tita Hamis. I was about to lose my patience with those kids,” Triggs muttered.

 

Hamis sighed. “Please excuse Pilyo and Ugakon. You know kids - they always have something to say about things they find peculiar and different. That’s why we need to guide them properly.”

 

“But you know… it also makes me curious,” Triggs said. “Why is he the only Shokoy that has a Sirena tail?”

 

“I’m sorry, but I think I can’t give you an exact answer,”  Hamis replied. “To be honest, no one here knows either.”

 

She narrated, “He was just found on the beach when he was very very young. We suspected that he was not really from this sea. And because of his condition, his true parents abandoned him as a baby.”

 

“That’s… sad…”

 

Hamis continued, “The one who found and took care of him was Paglaom herself. They grew fond of each other - they are like siblings. I guess it’s because they share something in common; they’re both not natives of this place.”

 

“I see…” Triggs mumbled. “One more thing. Gamgam said something about Calla - I mean Paglaom - saving this place. Is it true?”

 

A smile formed on Hamis’ face as she recollected the event. 

 

“Actually, Gamgam didn’t witness it himself. He was still not here when Paglaom did that. He just heard the tale from the other Shokoys.”

 

“Now, I’m more curious. You must tell me the story now.”

 

“Are you sure? Our conversation may take a while if I narrate everything to you.” Hamis said. “Besides, aren’t humans supposed to be asleep already by this time of the day?”

 

“I'm telling you, the more I won't be able to sleep if you don't share the story,” Triggs insisted.

 

“My, my…” Hamis murmured with a giggle. “Well, if you’re that persistent, might as well tell you the tale…”

 

She started her narration with a question.

 

“Do you know why she was named ‘Paglaom’?”

2