Chapter 43: Trades University
102 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The erection of the Trades School, or Trades University, as Jack had yet to decide on the final name, continued smoothly. The first set of dormitories, lecture halls, and training facilities had nearly reached their completion, soon to be filled with the first trial group of one hundred students gathered from all across the world. Most of the world knew of Jack’s name. He’d cleared the S-ranked and higher portals. Subdued the A-rank portals that plagued the continents, and, acted as mentor and educator to the famous diamond players. Nearly everyone in the world would jump at the opportunity to learn under his tutelage. So, when Jack announced his new academy, and the formation of his first trial class, the world responded with millions of applications.

Most applications ignored Jack’s words. He was not looking for the strongest, the fittest, or the bravest of people. He was not looking to forge the strongest army to walk the earth. No, he wanted to leave his mark in another way. He searched for those with relentless resilience, endless patience, kindness, and compassion, and for those who did not need the limelight, for those who wanted to help the world even if their name would never be spoken in history. Jack understood that he couldn’t directly teach all of his knowledge to the world. He couldn’t watch over billions of pupils. However, he could personally instruct thousands. And, as long as he selected the right people for the job, those thousands would be able to reach thousands more. Sure, maybe there would be some information lost in the handoff. That was a calculated risk. If Jack wanted to help the world, this was the best way he and Robin knew how.

So, after a team of thousands helped filter through the applications, Jack and Robin sorted through the not-so-short shortlist and hand-picked their first one hundred students. It had been quite an easy process for Jack. He trusted in his abilities as a teacher. So, as long as the students had a few of the qualities and ideologies that Jack wanted, he knew that he could mold them into the finest instructors.

“Boss Trades,” a man shouted as Jack approached the dormitory construction site.

“Nicholas,” Jack smiled at the Nicholas whom Jack dubbed The Architect. Everyone who had known Nicholas, both pre and post-singularity, beamed about his work ethic, attention to detail, and communication, and described him as one of the most genuine and authentic human beings they had ever known. While Nicholas had only overseen smaller-scale projects, remodels and such, Jack allowed him the space he needed to thrive. Jack had not a single regret. Nicholas somehow lived with a relentless positivity, while also thinking several steps ahead, catching problems before they’d even arise.

He was exactly the type of student that Jack had been looking for.

“Three days,” Nicholas announced. “The dorms are on schedule to be ready for final inspection in three days. “They’re coming together nicely, don’t you think? Do you want a quick walk-through?”

Jack shook his head. “The grid?” he inquired.

“Up and running as of six this morning. The solar field was hooked up without a hitch and the windmills are still producing constant power. It will be more than enough to cover the proposed expansion.”

“Good, good,” Jack nodded. He wanted to start passing on his knowledge. It was the last thing he needed to do before he could truly follow his own heart.

“There is a small problem we’ve run into,” Nicholas started, not shying away from sharing the bad news. “I was hoping you might be able to give us a hand.”

“Of course,” Jack smiled.

Nicholas nodded and led Jack to a black pickup truck where he hopped in and waited for Jack to do the same.

“How’s the family?” Jack asked as he shut his door and clicked on his seat belt.

Nicholas looked and grinned as he clicked his own. “Even the strongest still wear their seatbelt, eh?”

Jack smiled. “My father once told me that not everything we do in life is for our own benefit. Sometimes, the smallest of actions might resonate with an unseen onlooker.” Jack motioned slightly toward the curious eyes of the nearby crew. “If I am going to bestow wisdom to the world, I want to set the best example I can.”

Nicholas clicked his seatbelt and nodded. “Leslie is getting ready to pop any day now. And my oldest couldn’t be happier. He’s been begging for a younger sibling his entire life. We were worried he might start to get jealous, but he’s been nothing but the most supportive a sixteen-year old could be. Honestly, sometimes I forget that he’s still a kid.”

“They grow up fast,” Jack agreed.

“There is something I’d like to discuss, unrelated to the current work—” Nicholas paused as he pulled up to the expanse where the excavators had revealed a massive sinkhole created by a combination of the subway lines and tunneling monsters.

“Go on,” Jack pushed, remaining belted in.

“Will you have more work for me once this project is done?”

“Do you want more work?” Jack asked.

“Of course! I’ll do anything,” Nicholas jumped on the opportunity. It was difficult to find work that provided meaning and purpose in this new world. Difficult to find work that challenged him but also aligned with his skills.

Jack grinned at Nicholas like the malleable piece of soft iron he was. Perhaps he had just found his 101st student.

“Back to work,” Nicholas said, turning off the ignition and hopping out of the car to present the sinkhole. “We’re going to have to fill it. But that could take days, maybe weeks. It would be a great help if you could—”

Jack scrunched his face and stared at the void. “Do you think there could be others we haven’t found?”

Nicholas shook his head. “Inside the proposed border, no. I’ve tasked teams to assay the entire area after we found this one.” Nicholas unfolded a blueprint that outlined the Trades’ School. “We’ve found a few other risky spots outside,” he pointed toward three areas within a mile or so of the academy. “But this is the only one within the borders.”

Jack nodded, noting the three areas in his mind. He stomped forward with a foot and flooded the ground with his mana. The sinkhole quickly began to fill from its bottom. Fresh dirt bubbled up mixed with rocks and stones as if bursting from an underground well. As the space was packed tightly with the dense filling, Jack turned to Nicholas and asked, “Dimensions?”

Nicholas traced his finger across the paper and read out three numbers.

Jack obliged, boring out a hole in the newly packed space matching the exact foundation requested.

“It’s a wonder to see, every time,” Nicholas smiled. “But we can’t have you doing all of our work.”

Jack agreed. He was happy to help when he could, especially with opening day approaching, but he needed to trust the work of others. There was simply too much to be done and not enough time.

“Do you mind,” Jack pointed a finger toward the blueprint in Nicholas’ hands.

“Of course,” Nicholas held the paper so Jack could reach.

Jack carefully traced a line with his finger, leaving an ink-red circle around his property. “I’ll fill in anything amiss within this border. That should give us some wiggle-room for expansion. If you need to go further, you have our support. Bring a guard and a scout squad, just in case.”

Nicholas nodded. He had never met someone as selfless as Jack. Someone as naturally charismatic. Someone that just made him want to do his best, that made him want to stand by his side and be part of whatever Jack had in mind.

“Anything else?” Jack asked.

Nicholas hesitated, again.

“Go on,” Jack pushed.

“My son,” Nicholas started. “He drew up some designs for a logo. I promised him that I would show them to you. I know he’s only sixteen, but—”

Jack smiled. It was the first time Nicholas had ever asked for anything even remotely personal. “Let’s see them,” Jack said.

“Alright,” Nicholas chirped, surprised by Jack’s immediate engagement. He swiped through the apps on his phone and then pulled up one of the designs. “There are several,” he added, handing the phone to Jack.

Jack swiped.

A bead of sweat dripped from Nicholas’ brow. “Even just some feedback would be—”

“This one,” Jack announced, moving back to the third graphic. “This one is perfect.” Jack repeated.

“What?” Nicholas asked, now truly shocked.

“It will make a fine logo. Maybe we can even put it on a flag.”

Nicholas’ mouth dried.

“What’s this?” Jack said, curiously swiping further than he’d been instructed. His eyes traced over a beautifully rendered 3-D model of a six-pronged silver jack with varying equipment carved where the silver-ball tips should be.

“Oh that’s—” Nicholas choked.

Jack swiped further to see several other designs. “Yes. We need this also.” Jack stomped his foot to the ground and called forth a pillar of marble. He glanced at the phone two more times before handing it back to Nicholas. Slowly, he inhaled, placing his hand on the six-foot-tall stone. And then, he breathed and sliced through the rock.

Dust crumbled.

“Wow,” Nicholas gasped.

“It’s perfect,” Jack smiled.

5