The Sister of Her Mister
324 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

--Setsuna POV--

“Kino! It's been a while!”

“Yep! I got your letter, by the way. It's… um, yeah.”

My technical sister-in-law, Kinokara Ryuto, just arrived in the village. I say sister-in-law since I took Ren's name as my own, but I never actually married him, so that's really just what I call her. She was a member of our party at the start, but we had to part ways after a while. The woman in question had just wrapped me in a tight hug in an attempt to alleviate the pain. Though, I've already moved on from that topic. On the surface, at least… Besides, she's a little taller than Shimo, so it was a little awkward to have my face pressed into her chest. Luckily it wasn't too bad since she was as small there as me. She freed me after a few seconds though. 

“I have two weeks before I have to be back. Uni really is generous with breaks. I'll help out in any way I can while I'm here. Anyway, do you know where I'm staying?”

“Yeah. You can stay with me if you want, but if not I can find something.”

“I'll stay with you. Did you even need to consider another option?”

“Figured. I'll show you around. It's a lot different than last time you were here.”

I turned away from the Gate, but as I started walking, I saw Ina and Shimo approaching. The two greeted Kino when they saw her.

“Ah! Kino! Didn't know you were here!”

“Hey Kino. Welcome.”

“Hey guys!”

Shimo took the time to catch up with Kino as Ina turned her attention back to me.

“We originally came to fill you in on two things: First, the shipment of weapons departed without issue. Second, there were Shadows spoted to the north of the village. It was only a small horde, about twenty strong, but that's still the first time any have been sighted this close. There haven't been more, but the Council wished for me to let you know to stay ready in case a meeting is called.”

“Ugh. Alright. I was just going to give Kino a bit of a tour.”

“Sounds good. We'll come with you. Where first?”

“Good question. Um, obviously she'll want to visit his shrine, but I guess we'll head away from the center and show her around the newer sections. This area hasn't really changed much since she was last here anyway.”

“That sounds like a plan.” Ina turned to the others. “Listen up you guys. We're going to the shrine first.”

Shimo simply nodded in response, while Kino had a more confused expression. She quickly realized the meaning behind it as well. It wasn't far from the Gate, so we continued the conversation as we walked.

“I see. A shrine though? I expected you guys would've made some sort of grave or memorial for him, but a whole shrine? That seems excessive.”

“Well, he was the ‘prophesied savior’ after all.”

“That is true. He did succeed right? In saving you all? Your letter did only talk about, um, what happened to him. But by the looks of things around here you're good?”

“Er, yeah. There were a lot of… holes in the prophecy, like things that didn't actually happen, but he could use the sword and we've been saved from all that stuff, so I'd hope he ‘succeeded.’”

When he became the topic of the discussion, my hand reflexively moved to touch his sword as if ttmaking sure it was still there at my hip. I had moved past that phase where I would always just sit and stare at it all the time, but I make sure it never leaves my side. It acts as a sort of coping mechanism, as if it was the man himself with me all the time.

“Holes? How so?”

“Well, I can't quite remember how it was worded, but the prophecy said something along the lines of the hero unlocking the ‘true power’ of the sword, but other than the basic effects that we've known for as long as the sword itself's been around, he didn't really ‘unlock’ any other sorts of abilities.”

“Ah. That does seem weird. Is this it up here?”

“Yeah. I understand he wasn't much for… stuff like this, but again, he was very important to my people. They wouldn't have settled for any less, and honestly, I kinda think he deserves a little more… I know that's just my own biased opinion though.”

“Um, anyway. It looks very… Japanese. What's up with that?”

“Well, supposedly, a hero was summoned from your world many centuries ago. The lore of my people claims that man was from Japan, and that's how we're called Kitsune. He's apparently also responsible for naming one of the human kingdoms to the east as well as the continent itself, but that's just speculation. Our culture has developed to be very similar to Japan's though, so at least some of it is true.”

“That makes sense. So this box is…”

“Yeah. That's him.”

“I see…”

Kino gently placed her hand on the box of his ashes and closed her eyes, slightly bowing her head as if in prayer. That she's doing this now serves as a reminder that he's been gone for one… probably close to two months now, and all she's had for the whole time was a single letter saying that her brother - her only living family - was also dead. After paying her respects for a second she pulled her hand back and looked up with a sigh.

“I guess this really seals the deal…” She turned to the rest of us, wiping tears from her eyes. “Okay… I'm good now. Let's go see whatever else you’re going to show me.”

“You sure you don't wanna stay here longer?”

“I'm sure. He wouldn't want us lingering too long anyway, so let's go.”

“Alright.”

I showed Kino just about everything of interest in the village - which wasn't really all that much - while the other two followed us in silence, Ina occasionally pitching in when my own knowledge wasn't adequate to explain something. We finished the tour about an hour before sunset, so we all walked back to my house, which is right by the Gate, and therefore basically where we started.

“This is your house, right? Do the others live here too?”

“In the room next to mine, yeah.”

“Huh. Thought they'd have their own place by now.”

“You know, sometimes I wish they did. My house is pretty big though, so the extra company is welcome.”

I felt someone - assumingly Shimo - put her hands on my shoulders from behind.

“You know, sometimes you forget that just about everyone in this village has better hearing than a human, and that your ‘extra company’ is right behind you. I don't mind the compliments though, keep ‘em comin’.”

“Shimo… You know you're one of my best friends, but really. You two have to be a little more quiet at night.”

“Setsuna… You know you're one of my best friends, and I can't do that. Extracting those noises from Ina is the best part.”

“... At least ask your mom to set up an illusion or something so I don't have to hear it. Besides, we have a guest, so at least hold off on being loud until she's gone.”

“Okay, okay. You win. I am not asking Mom to do that though.”

“Um. W-we’re going to go in, right?”

Kino was fidgeting her thumbs behind her back, pointedly looking away as to hide the blush that was clearly on her face. I guess that even though I'm used to this kind of talk by now - this certainly isn't the first time I've brought up the topic - I can't really say the same for Kino.

“Yeah. I'll show you around.”

I held the door open until everyone was inside, then I closed it behind me. I gave my basically- sister-in-law a brief tour to show her where to find my bedroom, the bathroom, and anything else important, and after that we joined the others in the living room. When we arrived I noticed Shimo's mom, or otherwise known as our resident seer/6th tier Mind magician, was here as well.

“Hey.”

“Er, Miss… Freiya?”

“That's me. You're Kinokara, right? It's been so long, I could hardly remember.”

“Yes. How have you been?”

“I've been doing fine. In fact, while I was in Pristella for their annual festival, I appraised the magic of this girl. She was… human. But she had an unnatural hair color for her race, and an unusual hardiness to her as well. That's not the point though. Throughout history, there has never been a single recorded case of somebody with six attributes. Until Ren, that is. Then, less than a week after he's gone, the same day I received the news, this girl comes in and guess what? She's attuned to all six elements as well. Not to mention that her personality was nearly identical to his… She said she's never heard the name though, so there likely isn't a connection.”

“Huh. That's… strange. You said she was in Pristella?”

“Mhm. Though, I heard recently she formed a party, and was operating in the Territories as an S rank specializing in hunting Shadows. You'll get a real kick when you hear her party's name! I'm not telling by the way. I'll leave that to you to find out.”

“She seems like somebody I'd like to meet. If she's as impressive as you say then I might like to recruit her into- hm?”

The katana at my hip vibrated, making a short buzzing noise in the process. I looked down at the source of my interruption, and it vibrated again, even more violently. It didn't even have time to finish this time before I heard small, rapid explosions and cries of ‘We're under attack!’ Everyone else stood up and ran outside with me after coming to the same conclusion as I have. 

The soldiers stationed around the village were ready for an attack, armed with automatic rifles and silver bullets just in case our enemy was undead. However, nothing could prepare them for this. 

The Shadows were here. Surrounding us on the ground. Cutting us off from the air. They were everywhere. The village was under attack. My village was under attack. I may have overlooked these creatures before, but now? I will show no restraint in slaughtering them.

25